Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

First Time Car Buyer - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / First Time Car Buyer (3237 Views)

Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video) / Jubilation As Cars Drive To 4 Riverine Communities In Bayelsa For The First Time / The Best Car For A First Time Car User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Car Buyer by chikenicholas(m): 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2015
Hi Guys and car gurus in the house, I urgently need your advice on buying my first car. I have a budget of 700-800K and wish to buy preferably a tokunbo car or a very well maintained Nigerian Used car. I need the car for my daily movement, mostly to work and travelling once in a while.
Please advice on cars with very low maintenance cost and fuel efficiency, as a first time car user, I will also fancy less visit to the mechanic or electrician aside routine maintenance.

I have outlined the following cars but my options are not limited to these only, please add others

1. Honda Civic 2006-2008
2. Toyota Corolla 2004 (preferably the sport)
3. Mazda 3 or 6
4. Toyota Camry (drop light or big daddy)
5. Nissan Primera 2007
6. Hyundai Elantra 2007

Kindly provide your review on these cars based on experience or other better options.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Re: First Time Car Buyer by phnibeogu: 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2015
Am in ur shoes exactly.. Am broken in between civic. Mazda 3 or 6 Elentra and outlander...my first issue is am tall... Then I want a good buy... But I hate the best car which I can afford ( corrola) I just wish this tread will solve this prob for me as will
Re: First Time Car Buyer by tunergy(m): 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
phnibeogu:
Am in ur shoes exactly.. Am broken in between civic. Mazda 3 or 6 Elentra and outlander...my first issue is am tall... Then I want a good buy... But I hate the best car which I can afford ( corrola) I just wish this tread will solve this prob for me as will

Don't know how tall you are, but if you are really tall a Toyata Camry (big Daddy) will suit you.
but you won't get a tokunbo for that price, however decent Reg fall within that range.
Re: First Time Car Buyer by chikenicholas(m): 7:32pm On Sep 07, 2015
Car gurus in the house, please help us out. Your advice will be invaluable
Re: First Time Car Buyer by phnibeogu: 9:33pm On Sep 07, 2015
tunergy:

Don't know how tall you are, but if you are really tall a Toyata Camry (big Daddy) will suit you.
but you won't get a tokunbo for that price, however decent Reg fall within that range.
I know this. But I don't like boring cars.. I can do more than 800. What do u think of this civic toks.. I don't know the year but I like this one...
Any other can u suggest? For tall folks?

Re: First Time Car Buyer by tunergy(m): 9:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
phnibeogu:

I know this. But I don't like boring cars.. I can do more than 800. What do u think of this civic toks.. I don't know the year but I like this one...
Any other can u suggest? For tall folks?

This should be 2009/2010 Civic.
That's a very decent car.+ it has a lively interior too. grin

1 Like

Re: First Time Car Buyer by AUTOCHECKN: 4:27am On Sep 08, 2015
As someone who is an authority in carrying out quality checks on tokunbo cars before you purchase.Autocheck Nigeria.I will suggest you save more money and buy something really good.Can u get a 2004 and above corolla for less than 1.5m (tokunbo)? Absolutely No.If a dealer tells you he has such for that price,send me the Vin/Chassis number.You will see that he is selling u a bad car.
I tell lots of Nigerians that it is better you save to buy a car that u wont have to vist the mechanic all the time.You will have peace of mind.If you wanna buy a naija used car,pls 2 things are very important.

1. What was the status of the car before the person selling it bou4tht it?

2. Where does the current user live or ever lived and the routes he drives the car.Wear and tear are real problems.

8 out of 10 tokunbo cars are accidented,flooded or even worse.Who can contest this?

I am telling you from live examples.

Pls save good money and buy quality car.
U cant go wrong with a toyota.
All those kia,hyundai etc are best as brandnew.
Re: First Time Car Buyer by chikenicholas(m): 10:18am On Sep 08, 2015
AUTOCHECKN:
As someone who is an authority in carrying out quality checks on tokunbo cars before you purchase.Autocheck Nigeria.I will suggest you save more money and buy something really good.Can u get a 2004 and above corolla for less than 1.5m (tokunbo)? Absolutely No.If a dealer tells you he has such for that price,send me the Vin/Chassis number.You will see that he is selling u a bad car.
I tell lots of Nigerians that it is better you save to buy a car that u wont have to vist the mechanic all the time.You will have peace of mind.If you wanna buy a naija used car,pls 2 things are very important.

1. What was the status of the car before the person selling it bou4tht it?

2. Where does the current user live or ever lived and the routes he drives the car.Wear and tear are real problems.

8 out of 10 tokunbo cars are accidented,flooded or even worse.Who can contest this?

I am telling you from live examples.

Pls save good money and buy quality car.
U cant go wrong with a toyota.
All those kia,hyundai etc are best as brandnew.

Thanks for your insight, can you state the pros and cons of cars one can buy?
Re: First Time Car Buyer by fastlane84: 7:55pm On Sep 08, 2015
An Avalon 2002 xls... Will be a very good buy ... Its rugged and fun to drive
Re: First Time Car Buyer by Anomnakachukwu: 7:57pm On Sep 08, 2015
Bros, i have a honda civic for sale. I dont know if you are the guy who called me from Abuja. But in case its not u, u can contact me. Unfortunately, i qm in the east. Anambra state. Check for my post for a honda civic for sale.

But take my word for it, honda civic 2007/2008 model is a strong car. Whether u buy mine or not, u will not regret it.
Re: First Time Car Buyer by heffem(m): 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2015
Op, dats my line for now.... The truth is that u can't get any good tokunboh car (those listed above) for 800k. Secondly, I wouldn't advice u to buy a fairly used car without an original customs duty to avoid embarrassments, since u said u will be travelling occassionally. If u eventually meet someone who is ready to give u a fair price, coupled with a duty paper......pls go confirm the CO number of the papers first cos dealers can be funny most times, all in the name of biz...... Reach me for more updates thru 28AE9983 or 08130499108
Re: First Time Car Buyer by Anomnakachukwu: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2015
My honda civic is still available. Will give u a discount

(1) (Reply)

Radautoworks When Is Your Christmas Giveaway? / 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel / Honda Accord 2005 Jerking During Accleration And Top Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.