Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,657 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People (9668 Views)

Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech On The Threat By The North To Secede In 1953. / Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / 1953 - Nnamdi Azikiwe Speech On Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by oluspencer(m): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
Yujin:

And that your so called waterloo we shall come again. Prepare something bigger this time around.

Yes and you're right.... You people have actually spread beyond the boundary of Nigeria but only on Air and internet.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by OduaVanguard: 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
Yujin:

why you guys dwell in deceit is what I find difficult to understand. The original oyo capital called oyo ile was destroyed never to be recovered again. Illorin was taken never to be recovered again and you are blabbing. The fulani moved on to attack Ibadan but all yoruba army gathered to fight just a band of fulani warriors and you are rejoicing. Yes the fulanis were pushed back at oshogbo and the recamped at Illorin planning a massive attack on your useless army. They assembled a calvary of about 20000 men. It was only the British that saved you all. If not so you would have been roundly defeated. The fulanis know this so well that's why they don't take you guys seriously. You're a defeated people already. Anybody can research what I wrote her and prove me wrong.

I said it earlier that you people read your history upside down and then put a spin on it to sound intelligent but you can only fool and hoodwink yourself not intelligent folks like myself. If you read Yoruba history straight-up (and not up-side down like you prefer to). The Old Oyo fell to Nupe occupation but the entire territory was violently recovered back by Alaafin Ofiran, every inch of it, but by then a new Oyo had been reconstructed and largely settled so the Old Oyo forever ceased from being the capital of the empire, voluntarily. In other words, Oyos voluntarily chose not to resettle at their old location (that old location is part of the current Yoruba-populated part of Kwara that still has Obas to this very day, areas including Igbomina in the South of Ilorin).

Your stupid self should've asked how come the Fulanis didn't suceed in extending their Emirate beyond ilorin to cover other Yoruba towns in close proximity to Ilorin and in present-day Kwara? You Igbos are a very stupid lot.

How did they British save us? Or you meant to say the Famous Ibadan war-machine? You are a stu.pid fool.

ILORIN IS NOT THE ONLY YORUBA CITY/TOWN IN KWARA, and is one out of many other Towns like Offa, Isin, etc -- these other Yoruba towns still have Yoruba kings to this day. NOW GET THIS INTO YOUR THICK SKULL: The Ilorin Emirate only exists SOLELY because the Yoruba ilorins still want it for whatever sentimental attachment they have towards it, and it will cease to exist the day they reject it. QED. Even the Sultan of Sokoto (paramount ruler of the Emirates) can be dethroned by the President of the Federation (Abacha did it once by dethroning Dasuki) -- meaning those institutions are mere figure-heads today and have no real power. Even the Governor of Kwara can dethrone the Emir of ilorin. I hope your punk ass has been schooled.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by oboy3(m): 1:53pm On Sep 08, 2015
I just remembered this my father used to tell me back in the days,after playing a football match against the neighbouring village,my dad came back,his dad asked him who won
''papa,we dribbled them,we were passing the ball up and down''

and after the match who won?asked his father

Silence#

The same thing applies here,after conquering togo benin zimbabwe blah blah,how is the life of an average yoruba man today better than an average igboman,are they not the same people doing ''owo mida'' and ''omo onile'' in lagos
Or how is the life of an average fulani/hausa man who fore fathers conqured this conqured that in those days,are they not majority of beggars in Nigeria today?

Stupid topic and useless Poster

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by dmater: 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2015
egift:

It is idiotic talks like these the reason I will never share a shallow caveland with hate mongers like you.

Nigeria is a land of peace. Be patrotic and law abiding. Any day you pick up arms, we will declare you an enemy of the State and deal with you accordingly. Eji gi Igbo agwaya onye ocha

Don't you think you are ranting in vain over a far concluded course? You had better start adjusting to a new way of life with your chosen people. It is your choice and your right. And your chosen lot is inconsequential to the aspirations of many determined souls.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by AlPeter: 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
CSTR2:
There was nothing empiric about oyo.
It was more or less a kingdom of indigenous people Inferior to the benin kingdom.
The only time the Oyo kingdom attempted expansionism across benin republic, it was given a total humiliation by women from dahomey.
Igbos on the other hand just like the ancient greeks before persian invasion did not see the need for an empire. There were no group of people strong and organized enough in west africa to actually pose any existensial threat to the igbo people to necessitate the creation of an igbo empire.
The greeks too who were more or less independent city states similiar to the igbo nation, would not have created any empire but for the threat of persian invasion.
And when the greeks did, they sowed the seed of a mighty empire that would rise to its glorious peak through alexander the great.

Macedonia was a well developed state so was Athens and the rest of the Greek states they were not HAMLETS or villages, Athens was more or less an empire on it's just life the Yorubas had Ife, Oyo and Ilorin. Who give a care about so hamlets in a remote forest, with little or no resources

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by dmater: 2:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
AlPeter:

Macedonia was a well developed state so was Athens and the rest of the Greek states they were not HAMLETS or villages, Athens was more or less an empire on it's just life the Yorubas had Ife, Oyo and Ilorin. Who give a care about so hamlets in a remote forest, with little or no resources

What can your people boast of, having survived only by being stooges?
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by cigwegbe(m): 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
Read this article to see the way forward for Nigeria!

https://www.nairaland.com/2584742/much-ado-corruption#37797254
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by pazienza(m): 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
n my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

This was Zik stance on North secession, he believed that the North had the right to secede, Zik was not threatening the North with War should they succeed, he wanted the North not to secede and he went ahead to make all the sacrifices it took to appease and make the North stay.

2 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by pazienza(m): 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2015
[b] There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North. [/b]

Here is Zik doing exactly what Arewa-Odua people are currently doing, he was using subtle fear of the unknown as a weapon to persuade the North against secession.

He was presenting a grim picture of a future Arewa republic, and reminding the North why they should not secede.

Finally, Zik was willing to give the North all she ever demanded just to keep her in the union.

2 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by pazienza(m): 2:38pm On Sep 08, 2015
It is the highest height of deception to suggest that Zik method of appeal for one Nigeria is the same the Arewa Odua are using today.

Zik wanted one Nigeria, the Arewa didn't, Zik took it upon himself to create the one Nigeria the Arewa wanted, a naive decision I must say, yet it must not be mistaken for the type of one Nigeria the Arewa-odua want today.

The Arewa Odua want a one Nigeria, the Biafrans don't, the onus is on the Arewa-odua to create a one Nigeria the Biafrans want, but this isn't happening, the Arewa-Odua want a one Nigeria on their own terms only, and this is an invitation to anarchy.

2 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by otipoju(m): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
LadyFiona:
It's a federal university owned by federal government.

How about the Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium in Enugu
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by VickJames(m): 2:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
Someone said the athenians had an empire. What kind of biased and unread person will say that?

Someone said the igbos lived in hamlets, oh! I've lived in the yorubaland for ages, I can't find any form of civilisation in their ancient buildings except mud which has low binding capacity.

The yorubas couldn't have attacked the igbos because they'll have to cross the Niger river. So, let me tell you something, can your "empire" win that kind of war? What sort of madness will that be?

Only 1/20th of the igbo population were staying at the other side of Niger. So, claiming u defeated and enslaved those people isn't much of a question. Let me draw a similar scenario here, the roman and persian empire were taking each others territory without major onslaught from the capital. The only time they'll attack u back is when u try to moved beyond ur boundary limit.

Going back to the igbos, the igbos had democracy in their heads and hated oppression. You will never cross the major rivers and go back victorious. I swear it. You don't dare.

All the yoruba chanters, I am very sorry. You guys were the easiest to beat. They even sent your kings on exile. Your thrown empty. Someone even lied that they just relocated the thrown? For what? Give me one good reason why you should relocate your throne?

The only plausible reason you can give is that Uthman Dan Fodio sacked you guys from your capital. And your ibadan warrior had to stop them from moving further. That did not mean that you guys chased them away. The sacking of Oyo-ile led to different disgruntled houses to renege on the throne and fight for their independence. That's why we have different obas today.

Mr. Man stop concocting lies from the pit of hell to help your tribe look strong okay. Uthman Dan Fodio was a stronger soldier than your sophisticated warlords who tremble in the site of real attacks.

3 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by pazienza(m): 3:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
I don't know why you ediots try to tarnish other people's history just because of the hate you have for them. you really are a phool. now read this I understand you ibos never had anything close to civilization before the coming of the white man. don't try to change history

https://takeupanarm./2011/04/22/how-and-what-made-oyo-collapse/

History revisionism from Yorubas as usual.

Historical facts remains that the mud house infested weak Oyo village empire was invaded, conquered and ransacked by gallant Nupe warriors, Oyo Ile was captured and forever lost, while the Yorubas were forced to move down south to their present location.

On the Ilorin front, the end of the matter was that Ilorin was captured by the Gambaris with the aid of a treacherous Yoruba man, and all attempts by Oyo to recapture Ilorin failed, cos let's face it, they were no match to the Gambaris.

The Yoruba citizens of Ilorin were then turned to subjects, with a Gambaris Emir put on throne, the Gambaris as with conquering minorities, had over the centuries to yorubanize by marrying Yoruba subjects, to keep their Yoruba subjects pacified and to avoid uprising.

Yorubas had no civilization, they were living in mudhouses built so close to each other without regard to ventilation, to give a form of co urbanization settlement of mudhouses, Ndiigbo in contrast loved space and ventilation, so villages and families lived at a considerable distance from each other.

What you call empire was your inability to live in peace with each other, Instead you were running around the bushes of ancient Yorubaland like savages, killing and ruling each other, you were incapable of resolving your disagreements amicably, you all had a primitive and primordial animalistic instinct of territorial domination of weak fellow Yoruba neighbors, you never dominated non Yoruba neighbors, the Edos plummeted you, the Arewa and Nupe used you as football, Dahomey Amazons used your weak warriors for pepper soup, You couldn't mount any resistance to the Caucasian invaders, you were instead begging them to come and colonize you, you should be ashamed of your weak ancestors.

Ife art works were no match for those of Igbo ukwu and Nri, so what civilization are Yorubas talking about?

3 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
pazienza:

History revisionism from Yorubas as usual.

Historical facts remains that the mud house infested weak Oyo village empire was invaded, conquered and ransacked by gallant Nupe warriors, Oyo Ile was captured and forever lost, while the Yorubas were forced to move down south to their present location.

On the Ilorin front, the end of the matter was that Ilorin was captured by the Gambaris with the aid of a treacherous Yoruba man, and all attempts by Oyo to recapture Ilorin failed, cos let's face it, they were no match to the Gambaris.

The Yoruba citizens of Ilorin were then turned to subjects, with a Gambaris Emir put on throne, the Gambaris as with conquering minorities, had over the centuries to yorubanize by marrying Yoruba subjects, to keep their Yoruba subjects pacified and to avoid uprising.

idiot even after giving you links with references you still choose to propagate falsehood. even if Oyo was defeated we can at least boast of an empire and a strong political system before the coming of the white man. what can you ibos boast of? running after hyenas barefooted and dancing round a fire before proceeding to sleep in caves at night?

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 3:32pm On Sep 08, 2015
VickJames:
Someone said the athenians had an empire. What kind of biased and unread person will say that?

Someone said the igbos lived in hamlets, oh! I've lived in the yorubaland for ages, I can't find any form of civilisation in their ancient buildings except mud which has low binding capacity.

The yorubas couldn't have attacked the igbos because they'll have to cross the Niger river. So, let me tell you something, can your "empire" win that kind of war? What sort of madness will that be?

Only 1/20th of the igbo population were staying at the other side of Niger. So, claiming u defeated and enslaved those people isn't much of a question. Let me draw a similar scenario here, the roman and persian empire were taking each others territory without major onslaught from the capital. The only time they'll attack u back is when u try to moved beyond ur boundary limit.

Going back to the igbos, the igbos had democracy in their heads and hated oppression. You will never cross the major rivers and go back victorious. I swear it. You don't dare.

All the yoruba chanters, I am very sorry. You guys were the easiest to beat. They even sent your kings on exile. Your thrown empty. Someone even lied that they just relocated the thrown? For what? Give me one good reason why you should relocate your throne?

The only plausible reason you can give is that Uthman Dan Fodio sacked you guys from your capital. And your ibadan warrior had to stop them from moving further. That did not mean that you guys chased them away. The sacking of Oyo-ile led to different disgruntled houses to renege on the throne and fight for their independence. That's why we have different obas today.

Mr. Man stop concocting lies from the pit of hell to help your tribe look strong okay. Uthman Dan Fodio was a stronger soldier than your sophisticated warlords who tremble in the site of real attacks.
stop ranting like a deranged person. back your claims up with verifiable links and references. the truth is that the Oyo empire collapsed due to internal squabbles. if you have a different view prove it
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by VickJames(m): 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
stop ranting like a deranged person. back your claims up with verifiable links and references. the truth is that the Oyo empire collapsed due to internal squabbles. if you have a different view prove it

The centre stopped being strong that's why the ibadan warriors had to fight to keep their lives rather than for the empire. If you have read psychology of warfare, you will have known that if the "oyo empire" wanted to regain its lands, it will want to get back his thrown which he left running. There was no strong person left after the onslaught, so stop making history look sweet for your people.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
VickJames:

The centre stopped being strong that's why the ibadan warriors had to fight to keep their lives rather than for the empire. If you have read psychology of warfare, you will have known that if the "oyo empire" wanted to regain its lands, it will want to get back his thrown which he left running. There was no strong person left after the onslaught, so stop making history look sweet for your people.
idiot so if the empire collapsed under it's own weight how then can you say that the fulanis brought an end to it? didn't you know the Ibadan kingdom emerged a regional power from the downfall of Oyo and stood strong against all invaders. now can you tell us about IBO history?
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by VickJames(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
idiot so if the empire collapsed under it's own weight how then can you say that the fulanis brought an end to it? didn't you know the Ibadan kingdom emerged a regional power from the downfall of Oyo and stood strong against all invaders. now can you tell us about IBO history?

Please tell that story to those who need ginger. The downfall of oyo empire marked the downfall of the yoruba kingdom. You guys started having different people with different heads.

The igbo never had a kingdom of some sort because they never saw its necessity because they were protected from all angles. And their immediate neighbours were more less friends.

The time the igbos went to war was with a formidable force which was the british army. A people of then not more than 3million fought the british army for close to 35years before they eventually did mago-mago and brought our leaders to a kangaroo court and sentenced them.

Do you know how many british captains were killed during ekumeku's war that spanned almost 15years? Let me make the whole thing simple for you. We were the reason the almagamation took them time to initiate. Because after the ekumeku's war, the whole Nigeria was under them.

The igbos don't bow down to no man, and most of all unscrupulous ones. We stand when we need to stand!

The igbos fought Biafran war with Nigerian soldiers with super-powers behind Nigeria. But you guys lost 500,000 soldiers. Can u imagine the number?

The problem u guys had and I have to tell you, you guys designated people to be soldiers and left some to be suckers. That's why when your soldiers are been dealt with, you guys will shrink. I am not insulting you but only saying the truth. Territories that were defeated then, using my knowledge of warfare, were the ones who had a defined army and when the armies were taken down. The remaining were weaklings.

But a region like the igbo region where no definite army, you don't know who to fight. And everyone fought for two reasons: for their families, and for their names. That's one thing you guys will never have.

"They're stubborn, they hardly bend to oppression, but they're progressive. If the europeans are not careful, they may overtake us."

3 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by otr1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2015
pazienza:
you never dominated non Yoruba neighbors, the Edos plummeted you, the Arewa and Nupe used you as football, Dahomey Amazons used your weak warriors for pepper soup, You couldn't mount any resistance to the Caucasian invaders, you were instead begging them to come and colonize you, you should be ashamed of your weak ancestors.

Ife art works were no match for those of Igbo ukwu and Nri, so what civilization are Yorubas talking about?

Even the Binis, who had yoruba language as their royal court official language until 1934, take the heads of their obas to Ife until recently and normally take permission from the Ooni to crown new kings, beat us?
If that's not colonisation of the Binis by the Yorubas, I wonder what it is.

It might interest you to know that a considerable part of what we know as Igbominaland in Kwara state today originally belonged to the Nupes. They've been pushed to the bank of the River Niger with yoruba language being their second language.
Even the Ilorin you love to talk about which was taken from Rebel Afonja have its territory sorrounded by Igbomina towns to this minute. And the Almighty Arewas were unable to go an inch into their land?

The Iwo-Ileru relic with carbon dating of 12000bc depicts an advanced human culture and civilazation. It's a known fact that the Ifes sent a bronze-smith to Benin during the 4th reign of Oranmiyan dynasty to teach them the art, who in turn, teach the Ibos.

If you don't know by now that the advanced system of government we have in yorubaland thousands of years before the Whites came is a sign of cultural seniority, I'm done with you.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
slowpoke an empire and a political system like that of the Oyo empire long before the colonial era is a sign of civilization. I know you hate to admit it but the Oyo empire had a system of king, king maker, war chiefs and law makers long before the colonial era. if that is not greatness to you then I now understand why ibos don't have such history
ever heard of what the "Visigoths" and "Vandals" who were mere german tribes did to the then Roman empire? Or do u claim that ur so called oyo empire was more civilized than that of the Romans. Keep ranting like I said these things u say actually make u sleep at night so keep it up
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Curlieweed: 6:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
otr1:

Even the Binis, who had yoruba language as their royal court official language until 1934, take the heads of their obas to Ife until recently and normally take permission from the Ooni to crown new kings, beat us?
If that's not colonisation of the Binis by the Yorubas, I wonder what it is.

It might interest you to know that a considerable part of what we know as Igbominaland in Kwara state today originally belonged to the Nupes. They've been pushed to the bank of the River Niger with yoruba language being their second language.
Even the Ilorin you love to talk about which was taken from Rebel Afonja have its territory sorrounded by Igbomina towns to this minute. And the Almighty Arewas were unable to go an inch into their land?

The Iwo-Ileru relic with carbon dating of 12000bc depicts an advanced human culture and civilazation. It's a known fact that the Ifes sent a bronze-smith to Benin during the 4th reign of Oranmiyan dynasty to teach them the art, who in turn, teach the Ibos.

If you don't know by now that the advanced system of government we have in yorubaland thousands of years before the Whites came is a sign of cultural seniority, I'm done with you.

Don't embarrass yourself by making up facts to suit your bruised ego. The Iwo-Ileru humanoid was anything but "advanced". Archeologists were just surprised to find such an "archaic" humanoid dating as recently as the date you mentioned. The conventional wisdom was that such hominids had disappeared at least 80,000 years previously. Technically, the Iwo-Ileru fossils weren't even modern Homo sapiens.

The other fable about Oramiyan smiths teaching people about stuff they already knew is equally embarrassing. I know you want to do a little "chest beating" but making up your own facts is a shameful way to go about it. The actual archeological evidence indicates that Igbo-Ukwu was the earliest evidence of bronze smithing in the whole of west Africa. The ancient mines that provided the ores were also discovered.

I am sure your ancestors probably had some kind of accomplishments. Stick to those and stop the wild claims.

2 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by VickJames(m): 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
Curlieweed:

Don't embarrass yourself by making up facts to suit your bruised ego. The Iwo-Ileru humanoid was anything but "advanced". Archeologists were just surprised to find such an "archaic" humanoid dating as recently as the date you mentioned. The conventional wisdom was that such hominids had disappeared at least 80,000 years previously. Technically, the Iwo-Ileru fossils weren't even modern Homo sapiens.

The other fable about Oramiyan smiths teaching people about stuff they already knew is equally embarrassing. I know you want to do a little "chest beating" but making up your own facts is a shameful way to go about it. The actual archeological evidence indicates that Igbo-Ukwu was the earliest evidence of bronze smithing in the whole of west Africa. The ancient mines that provided the ores were also discovered.

I am sure your ancestors probably had some kind of accomplishments. Stick to those and stop the wild claims.

I wanted to quote him but I didn't want to give him a chance to cause any squabbles. Belittling the igbo-Ukwu bronze-smithing is an insult to our culture. How can he say the binis taught the igbos bronze-smithing. This is not the matter of claiming anything but the yorubas strength ended when there was need to be strong.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
VickJames:

Please tell that story to those who need ginger. The downfall of oyo empire marked the downfall of the yoruba kingdom. You guys started having different people with different heads.

The igbo never had a kingdom of some sort because they never saw its necessity because they were protected from all angles. And their immediate neighbours were more less friends.

The time the igbos went to war was with a formidable force which was the british army. A people of then not more than 3million fought the british army for close to 35years before they eventually did mago-mago and brought our leaders to a kangaroo court and sentenced them.

Do you know how many british captains were killed during ekumeku's war that spanned almost 15years? Let me make the whole thing simple for you. We were the reason the almagamation took them time to initiate. Because after the ekumeku's war, the whole Nigeria was under them.

The igbos don't bow down to no man, and most of all unscrupulous ones. We stand when we need to stand!

The igbos fought Biafran war with Nigerian soldiers with super-powers behind Nigeria. But you guys lost 500,000 soldiers. Can u imagine the number?

The problem u guys had and I have to tell you, you guys designated people to be soldiers and left some to be suckers. That's why when your soldiers are been dealt with, you guys will shrink. I am not insulting you but only saying the truth. Territories that were defeated then, using my knowledge of warfare, were the ones who had a defined army and when the armies were taken down. The remaining were weaklings.

But a region like the igbo region where no definite army, you don't know who to fight. And everyone fought for two reasons: for their families, and for their names. That's one thing you guys will never have.

"They're stubborn, they hardly bend to oppression, but they're progressive. If the europeans are not careful, they may overtake us."
idiot why do you people always claim to know Yoruba history more than us? it's simply because you are hell bent on propagating falsehood. the fall of the Oyo empire was the rise of Ibadan. people fled Oyo and took refuge in Ibadan. Ibadan defeated the Fulanis

Ibadan grew into an impressive
and sprawling urban center so much that by the end of
1829, Ibadan dominated the Yorùbá region militarily,
politically and economically . The military sanctuary
expanded even further when refugees began arriving in
large numbers from northern Oyo following raids by
Fulani warriors. After losing the northern portion of their
region to the marauding Fulanis , many Oyo indigenes
retreated deeper into the Ibadan environs.
The Fulani Caliphate attempted to expand further into the
southern region of modern-day Nigeria, but was
decisively defeated by the armies of Ibadan in 1840

Ibadan was never as great as the Oyo empire in terms of land mass but Ibadan never lost a war!!! In fact the armies of Ibadan stopped Fulani incursion down south
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Yujin(m): 6:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
OduaVanguard:

I said it earlier that you people read your history upside down and then put a spin on it to sound intelligent but you can only fool and hoodwink yourself not intelligent folks like myself. If you read Yoruba history straight-up (and not up-side down like you prefer to). The Old Oyo fell to Nupe occupation but the entire territory was violently recovered back by Alaafin Ofiran, every inch of it, but by then a new Oyo had been reconstructed and largely settled so the Old Oyo forever ceased from being the capital of the empire, voluntarily. In other words, Oyos voluntarily chose not to resettle at their old location (that old location is part of the current Yoruba-populated part of Kwara that still has Obas to this very day, areas including Igbomina in the South of Ilorin).

Your stupid self should've asked how come the Fulanis didn't suceed in extending their Emirate beyond ilorin to cover other Yoruba towns in close proximity to Ilorin and in present-day Kwara? You Igbos are a very stupid lot.

How did they British save us? Or you meant to say the Famous Ibadan war-machine? You are a stu.pid fool.

ILORIN IS NOT THE ONLY YORUBA CITY/TOWN IN KWARA, and is one out of many other Towns like Offa, Isin, etc -- these other Yoruba towns still have Yoruba kings to this day. NOW GET THIS INTO YOUR THICK SKULL: The Ilorin Emirate only exists SOLELY because the Yoruba ilorins still want it for whatever sentimental attachment they have towards it, and it will cease to exist the day they reject it. QED. Even the Sultan of Sokoto (paramount ruler of the Emirates) can be dethroned by the President of the Federation (Abacha did it once by dethroning Dasuki) -- meaning those institutions are mere figure-heads today and have no real power. Even the Governor of Kwara can dethrone the Emir of ilorin. I hope your punk ass has been schooled.

The departure of the Oyos from katunga was not out of choice but from force and it was very recent. The end product is the formation of the disorganized Ibadan. Illorin remains a fulani territory(I'm not proud of it) and there's nothing you can do about it. The Yorubas there tried to challenge it during obj's era but failed when the new oba they installed died mysteriously. You can verify it through Google. And it was the fulanis that sacked old oyo not the small nupe.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by VickJames(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
idiot why do you people always claim to know Yoruba history more than us? it's simply because you are hell bent on propagating falsehood. the fall of the Oyo empire was the rise of Ibadan. people fled Oyo and took refuge in Ibadan. Ibadan defeated the Fulanis

Ibadan was never as great as the Oyo empire in terms of land mass but Ibadan never lost a war!!! In fact the armies of Ibadan stopped Fulani incursion down south
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan

I'm sorry you find history difficult to interprete. Please listen without arguing. The Oyo empire was much more bigger the size of Ibadan empire.

The ibadan empire was just the remnant of lost victory. Check the size of ibadan and maybe two other local governments and compare it with the whole yoruba land. Please think about what you say before saying it.

You guys only defeated the Fulanis when they were trying to expand more than their limits. You guys never grow passed your predecessors.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Duru1(m): 7:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

Let me quickly clear the air before chest beaters start to make noise.

Azikiwe was not truthful in his recollection of archived African history. The truth is wars and territorial confrontations and rivalry for dominance in Africa is fought amongst giants....no Empire pay any mind to small and defenseless people like Ibos. What are you going to gain by fighting Ibo? It is a downgrade for a big and respectful Empire to go and bully a small village of yam farmers.

Read the history of conquest in Africa and you will see that Oyo only warred against mighty conquerors....Songhai, Ashanti, Dahomey, Fulani, Nupe.

Fulani warred Kanuri, Hausa, Nupe, Oyo.

Kanuri warred Fulani, Bachama, Darfur

Bariba warred Dahomey, Fulani.

Nupe warred Oyo, Fulani.

So who get time for some small inconsequential collection of villages who compete amongst themselves in wrestle bouts and the winner is declared the village hero.....when in Oyo, their heroes are on horseback galloping into enemy territory to go enslave the men and chop the women poussy for spoil? grin

The above is definitely filtered out by a dingbat. Even the all conquering Sokoto Caliphate regretted the day it went south-east ward. The northern Igbo of Akagbe completely annihilated the mounted troops of Sokoto Caliphate. The routes and tactics used by the Igbo warriors against Jihadists were followed to the dot by the British Expeditionary Force that annihilated the useless forces of the Caliphate.

One of the Obas in Bini said the worst thing the Bini has ever done was an attempt to go southeast direction. Even the British colonialists left with tales of ugly stories they met in the hands of fearless Igbo warriors who they claim have knack to dismember their victims.

2 Likes

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 7:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
Yujin:

The departure of the Oyos from katunga was not out of choice but from force and it was very recent. The end product is the formation of the disorganized Ibadan. Illorin remains a fulani territory(I'm not proud of it) and there's nothing you can do about it. The Yorubas there tried to challenge it during obj's era but failed when the new oba they installed died mysteriously. You can verify it through Google. And it was the fulanis that sacked old oyo not the small nupe.
you are not a Yoruba man if you had the courage to call Ibadan disorganized. Ibadan did what Oyo couldn't do. Ibadan defeated the Fulanis. please take a lesson in history. don't jump to conclusion.

1 Like

Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by otr1(m): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
Curlieweed:

Really? Who in his right senses learn things they already know? It must be that the method they are learning is better and advanced. If you have another reason why you should learn what you already know, pray tell?
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Duru1(m): 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:

You imbe*cile, don't you ever in your miserable life compare the revered Greek empire to your coalition of local Ibo hamlets. Are you crazy?

You are a pitiable dumbass. No wonder you wallow in the sea of inferior mentality. What a sucker!!!
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Jaideyone(m): 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
VickJames:

I'm sorry you find history difficult to interprete. Please listen without arguing. The Oyo empire was much more bigger the size of Ibadan empire.

The ibadan empire was just the remnant of lost victory. Check the size of ibadan and maybe two other local governments and compare it with the whole yoruba land. Please think about what you say before saying it.

You guys only defeated the Fulanis when they were trying to expand more than their limits. You guys never grow passed your predecessors.
lmao what a load of crap. so now that I forced you to accept the important role Ibadan played in the defeat of those Oyo couldn't defeat you are trying to downplay the importance of Ibadan and it's victory against the fulanis. what a dolt!!! the fulanis would have been sent back as far as sokoto if not primarily for the internal squabbles amongst the chiefs and power brokers of the Oyo empire. no one was interested in fighting the fulanis

https://takeupanarm./2011/04/22/how-and-what-made-oyo-collapse/

Meanwhile, Fulani/Hausas were popularly used in
Yorubaland as cheap labors and servants, they were so
popular that looking down the nose upon the northerners
continued well into post-colonial years in Nigeria. So with
the call to arms, Hausa/Fulani laborers in the Oyo
underground economy swelled the ranks by fleeing to
Ilorin. Ojo, the only surviving son of Ga, along with the
Onikoyi of Ikoyi, which was then the largest provincial
town of Oyo hence marched against Ilorin.
The Ikoyi’s were the royal battalion of the imperial army
and were also known as Ikoyi-Eso (Guards Battalion).
When the war began and Hausa/Fulani ex-laborers
roamed the country pillaging and selling their former
Yoruba aristocratic masters as slaves to white slave
buyers (as happened to Ajayi Crowther and his mother
who were sold to Portuguese when their village was
sacked by the Muslims later in 1821: read earlier post of
Eshu and Christian Devil on this blog), Afonja became
displeased with this.
And since he was still suspected of being loyal to Yoruba
than Islam, Alimi had Afonja killed and his son, Abdul
Salami took Ilorin throne as emir, giving allegiance to the
Sokoto caliphate. Thus Ilorin became a part of the Sokoto
caliphate. There was no central authority anymore in Oyo
and a lot of the provinces kept breaking away and the
disunity did not give a common cause to the Yorubas to
fight and retake Ilorin.
Some Yorubas by this time living in Ilorin had also
accepted Islam and thus while Ilorin swelled with a
platform for its warriors to fight on in one cause, there
was no single cause the Yorubas stood for a united fight.
The center no longer held and things badly fallen apart.
There was no more cavalry for the Oyo army since
horses were before bought from northern trade routes
which were now closed because of the war against
Fulani/Hausa
Re: 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People by Yujin(m): 7:56pm On Sep 08, 2015
Jaideyone:
you are not a Yoruba man if you had the courage to call Ibadan disorganized. Ibadan did what Oyo couldn't do. Ibadan defeated the Fulanis. please take a lesson in history. don't jump to conclusion.
My reference of Ibadan as disorganized was with respect to how the settlement was formed and not its military prowess. I want you to remember they fought only a small fraction of the fulani army. When the fulanis retreated to illorin they where preparing for a strong come back before the British intervened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top Ten Poorest State In Nigeria (2015) / Governance Is Stagnant Because Buhari Is Working With His Enemies — Buba Galadim / INEC Will Soon Withdraw Certificate Of Return Issued To Omo-agege, Says Emerhor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.