Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri (23076 Views)

EFCC Calls Reno Omokiri To Order Over His Post On The Presidency & The EFCC / Letter From Anyim Pius Anyim To Jonathan, Former President / Jonathan's Former Officials Accuse Buhari Of Dismissing Already Dissolved Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by agabaI23(m): 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
QuotaSystem:
Is Omokri just waking up or has he chosen today to declare he was Jonathan's sycophant?
Did you finish reading the article? If you did, you would understand where he is coming from. Nobody should cry marginalisation when competence is used for employment and admission
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Horlufemi(m): 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2015
Lobatan
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by dckng16(m): 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
GabrielSuswam:
Even the Chief Tanoid/Wailer knows what's good for our dear country..

Nairaland Wailers, How Market?

Continue Wailing like the pix attached
This ain't wailing, this is roaring
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Sobrit(m): 12:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
What is the definition of merit in pmb's dictionary? Nice piece wriiten out of context
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by philips70(m): 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
alaoeri:
Coming from a renowned TANoid shocked, hope minnows wailers like the chief protection seeker & his co travellers won't turn their back against their fellow comrade.

Comrade as in what? Reno is their boss and he just threw these misfits under the bus.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by mikolo80: 1:21pm On Sep 08, 2015
Uncleodi:
If I hear!

The guy is obviously looking for appointment with style..

My 2nd front page this week...is it a sign that I may be given an appointment?

Abeg hit like for me joor
nope they are preparing the north for zero appointment whenever south wins again
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by philips70(m): 1:25pm On Sep 08, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
Whynotthetruth how far?

Can you see this? Coming from someone who work under GEJ and currently on holiday in the US with his family.

FireFire, Mogidi, anonimi, hapiness87, owobokiri, FreeGlobe, bonapart how market?

They are on sabbatical. Call again tomorrow.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Kay17: 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2015
lurther:
And Reno Omokri concluded this article in a very fantastic way. In his words:

'That is a beginning, now we must ensure that merit is also applied to admission into government schools and recruitments into the public service.'

Please, let there be this same merit in the educational system and also public service.

Buhari! Reno Omokri is saying that, you can appoint whom ever you want politically because it is within your prerogative as the constitution demands for you to appoint those competent in your eyes. But, he also stated at the end that, this merit should be applied in all spheres of our life in Nigeria like in the educational sector, health sector, public sector, technologically-wise.

So! Let the competition of merit begin in the country. We shall see who will bulge, now that federal character has been thrown to the Bin.

The merit argument is a convoluted one with a hidden argument that minorities for whom the Federal Character was designed, are inherently incompetent.

Why not appoint competent minorities? The truth is, there are myriad interests in Nigeria, not just ethnic interests but ethical ones as well. And one must try balancing these interests.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Nsarug80: 1:32pm On Sep 08, 2015
Is he afraid of arrest/probe?
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
philips70:

As in ehn, I have been trying to reach the guy (Whynotthetruth) but to my greatest surprise, the guy dey use style dodge.

Lemme call them again.

Whynotthetruth, Mogidi, anonimi, hapiness87, owobokiri, FreeGlobe, how market?
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Firefire(m): 2:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
philips70:

sabba-gini ?

we dey here dey watch the film...Nigeria under many mouths...
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by kenny987(f): 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
Unless there is proof to show that efforts were made to source appointees from various areas and none more competent than the ones currently appointed were found, Reno Omokri is only playing to the gallery.

What are the criteria for screening would-be appointees for competence and merit levels? If we're going to suddenly start preaching merit while disregarding federal character then it must be across board. It must also be simultaneous as well to remove the appearance of cherry-picking. Buhari and this new-found preacher called Reno Omokri must be clear on the fact that u cannot claim competence for political appointments while employment is on the basis of Federal Character.

The federal character doesn't still fully check favouritism during recruitment how much more when those at the helm of various organisations n parastatals are centred from one region!

People should be truthful! We are not one in the actual sense of the word! That we are under one name doesn't make us one. People will look out for those they can identify with esp by language and religion. When u try to compare with the G7 nations for instance, u find that they have way more in common with more cohesion than here where we've been divided along ethnic lines since time immemorial. If those lines will be blurred it is a gradual process not by forcing it down the throats of others.

It is either wholly done or not at all. Pretense is what kills us! It takes good leadership to be able to balance appointments to properly include/represent all regions while getting the best of appointees from all regions. The inability to do so is a hallmark of failure! Nigerians may be smacked down, choose to ignore the obvious or just try to be patient but the truth is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by dabossman(m): 2:37pm On Sep 08, 2015
And this is what I've been telling some folks. Growing up, I saw many Nigerians, especially those from the southern part complaining about Federal Character and Quota System; but today our youths are championing that cause simply to see some politician from their village get a "juicy" appointment. Have we stopped to think what will happen if we now help to entrench this same Federal Character our parents kicked against? Do we southerns realize that if quota system/federal character takes precedent over merit we will always get the short end of the stick?

We have 19 Northern states and 17 Southern states. That is 53% to 47%. Every population census from time also apportions more people to the North than South. Now imagine if this is applied religiously to everything that concerns us at Federal level since our youths are clamouring for Federal character. That means

- In every squad of 23 footballers for the national team you will have 13 North and 10 South. Skill or talent will not matter.
- If there are 100 national scholarships available to students, it will be 53 North, 47 South. It won't matter if there are 1000 brilliant students from the South more qualified than most of the 53 from the North, or vice versa. Merit will not matter.
- Same goes for jobs, appointments etc.

Should we as Nigerians, especially the youths be clamouring for this kind of system? I think not. If we must kick against some of PMB's appointments, maybe we should find some other reasons to give. But clamouring for Federal Character/Quota System is a dangerous trend that will bring us no good. I agree with Reno. Let us fight to abolish Federal Character across board, not champion it.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by cigwegbe(m): 2:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
Read this article to see the way forward for Nigeria!

https://www.nairaland.com/2584742/much-ado-corruption#37797254
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
I don't blame the id!ot, I know his tribe grin grin betrays! Any day yellobars stop calling GEJ name will be the end of that useless tribe in this earth grin South West
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by redsceptic: 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
Uncleodi:
If I hear!

The guy is obviously looking for appointment with style...

Abeg hit like for me joor

Over and over, those of us who see a dismal future for the Nigerian state are justified in our pessimism.
What other conclusion can be reached when the youth population is intellectually deficient?

The above quoted individual (and many others as well) reads in Reno Omokri's article a subtle jockeying for government position. I suggest they read the article in entirety before commenting, paying especial attention to the last two paragraphs and searching for hidden meaning and inferences. This is not beyond their mental capacity.

I weep for the Nigerian youth.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Bamz(m): 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2015
Remarkable piece! I particularly find the symptom/cause analysis interesting. smiley

Reminds me of the NITDA Scholarship... even if I from Ogun gets 88%, someone else from Delta could still get admitted with a 80 score. Yup FCP should be scrapped.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
Somebody tell Windel Simlin AKA RENO Mockingli

According to Mr Omokri, federal character is the ailment and corruption is the symptom of the ailment. His view is anchored on the premise that once federal character is eliminated and replaced with “merit”, all will be well with Nigeria.

“Merit”, the oft used phrase, has many meanings. It was used as a mask to justify tribalism under the former administration and possibly under the present one. The former finance minister of Jonathan ascribed the bizarre position where the Minister of finance, co-ordinating minister for the economy, central bank governor, DG of the budget office, DG of the Debt Management office, DG of Pencom, DG of RFMAC, DG of AMCON, DG of the SEC, CEO of the NSE and CEO of the Sovereign Wealth Fund all came from one tribe to “merit”. At that time, ‘merit” was the tune being sung to high heavens. The tribes at the receiving end of “merit” inevitably replaced the word “merit” for the word “marginalization” when the effect of “merit” based recruitment meant that it was absent from appointments when that same “merit” is employed (albeit determined by different people).

Merit, is easier and less controversially applied when recruiting an entry level graduate to his or her first job. At that point, one simply looks at the persons’ university degree grades, institution of graduation and general appearance and temperament of the individual at the interview. Matters become significantly more nuanced when one is recruiting for senior management positions. At that point, “merit” becomes a highly subjective proposition. Senior management roles in the private sector around the world are filled by reference to the following factors listed in order of priority. (1) relevant, direct and appropriate high level experience in a job similar to the job that is being filled; (2) in the absence of direct and appropriate experience, experience in a job that is not similar but whose skill set allows for the acquisition of skills that can be transferred to the job that is being filled, (3) great leadership and management skills, (4) temperament and good interpersonal skills, (5) Good communication skills and (6) Good university education.

It is fair to say that Nigeria has always been a country that does things back to front. It places undue prominence on educational qualifications and relegates germane experience when filling senior management positions. Granted, most senior managers have decent university qualifications in any event. Former president Jonathan appointed a hedge fund consulting sales man at Goldman Sachs with no macro fiscal experience as Finance minister (he was later moved to the trade and industry ministry) and a commercial banking CEO with no macro economic monetary experience as CBN governor (this appointee is on course to completely destroy Nigeria economically). He also appointed a lead researcher in semi conductors at an investment bank as CEO of Nigeria’s fledging Sovereign wealth fund instead of sourcing for Nigerians working as Chief Operating Officers at hedge funds or sovereign wealth funds across the world. It is fair to say that most of the appointments in the financial regulatory space were filled by people that lacked requisite experience in the roles they were appointed to fill. The current president himself followed that same path in the selection NNPC head and in his selection of Customs head. Appointing a compliance lawyer to operate as CEO of Nigeria’s major oil company at a most sensitive time was bizarre. Additionally, appointing a retired colonel from the military police unit of the army to head the Customs also mirrors the absence of thought that permeates the decision making process when appointments are being made. Former president Obasanjo hired a self promoting operations manager with no macro fiscal experience from a glorified commercial bank (known as the world bank) as Finance minister. At least he micro managed her. She was left to work unhindered by President Jonathan and later bankrupted FG finances and left the Nigerian state mired in debt.

To some people, the above mentioned appointments were “merit” based. To others, the appointments reflected nothing other than poor judgment.

Mr Omokri’s reference to Nigeria’s win at AFCON 2013 to illustrate “merit” at work was dubious. Nigeria played only one major team in that tournament. That team was Ivory Coast. The winning goal was more a feature of goal keeping error than anything else. It is instructive that of the 5 teams that represented Africa in the world cup in 2014 the year later, Nigeria only came across one of them in their route to victory in AFCON 2013. That team later “progressed’ to defeats in the confederation cup, won one highly disputed win in four games in the world cup and a failure to qualify in the AFCON 2015. So much for the restricted background of the 2013 Nigeria football team. The under 17 2013 world cup winners produced great football and graduated to become Africa’s under 20 champions with a team that reflected Nigerians from all over Nigeria.

If “merit” is used, Nigeria’s army may be filled from top to bottom from people of two or three southern tribes. What Boko Haram has taught us is that people from the region that gets 4 out of 200 as cut off marks has great skills in innovation, lateral thinking, strategic thought and courage. These people started an insurgency 6 years ago with no money, no weapons, no foreign government support or recognition and had no state or region it had executive control over. Within 6 years it built its army up to such an extent that an established army (reporting to a ph.d graduate holder with billions of dollars at its disposal) were running from the war front on account of lack of weapons!! Nigeria has had to get the support of armies of four border countries to retake land and win battles. Generals Minimah and Ihejirika proved to be very poor war commanders (despite their numerous foreign training courses) when faced with a less educated yet more intelligent, ruthless and innovative fighting force. Biafra (by contrast) had most of Nigeria’s Sandhurst trained officers amongst its ranks, controlled the Eastern region finances for 11 months from Gowon’s ascendancy to the declaration of Biafra yet were poorly led by a more academically accomplished leader lacking in common sense, intelligence, innovation of thought and strategy. In the end, its insurgency collapsed within 2 years leaving behind a starved embittered population.

Federal Character was a feature of the 1979 constitution. However, we know that corruption had been rampant (to a lesser degree than the present time of course) as far back as Prime Minister Balewa’s time. I have never known of a medical condition where its symptoms predate the actual medical condition itself. A country whose bureaucracy (due to the application of “merit”) is dominated by one or two tribes, in a country with over 450 tribes, is a country that will see civil unrest sooner than later. North and South have produced people of outstanding skills and perceptions. Those skills may be different but no less important. Nigeria should properly make use of its broad tribal base and continue to recruit the best from all parts of the country. A diverse work place produces the most innovative of ideas. Most of the successful companies around the world have one of the most diverse work forces. Nigeria is on the right track. It should be allowed to continue its progression (albeit at a faster pace). More effort most be expended to increase educational training for youths in Northern Nigeria. A lot of geniuses reside there with their potential left unexploited by Nigeria. A government populated by one tribe for reasons of “merit” means decisions, perceptions, errors and biases are being reinforced and not challenged! The country will be worse for it!!

Dele.Awogbeoba@gmail.com
http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/08/buhari-blazes-trail-merit-rejoinder-reno-omokri-dele-awogbeoba
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Richal20(m): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
Demmocrats:
I see the qualities of God in my sai buhari that's why I love him.

Appointment should be based on merits

Even the opposition party knew that it was because they were not giving positions to people who merited it that brought there down fall. The opposition where busy imposing candidates

It takes a wise man to applaud your rival and commend him for areas that you where weak his strong and it takes the wisdom from God to do that.

God said when your ways pleases him your enemies will be at peace with you that's why reno is at peace with him.

My sai baba is truly from God

Sai buhari

remember if everything should be done by meri.... So for the hausa/fulani because their level of illiteracy pass and that's what Mr reno is tryna say
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by philips70(m): 3:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
Firefire:

sabba-gini ?

we dey here dey watch the film...Nigeria under many mouths...

grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
VirginScrotum:
I just enjoy the way everyone is falling in line under this new government. At this rate, only Barcanista and FFK will vote PDP in 2019.

Pls include Mr Ayo Fayose in that list
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by EazyMoh(m): 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2015
Pavore9:
If the best must get the spot they should stop punishing our kids for being brilliant by denying them admission into choice Federal Government Colleges all in the name of quota system! angry The North has chosen not to catch up academically and we are being made to pay for it!
I don't understand all this noise about FGCs. What's so special about them that the southerners love them so much. as far as I know FGCs are not the best secondary schools in Nigeria, Private schools are. So why do you have to fight to send your kid from Lagos to Taraba just to attend an FGC? Seriously I need to know.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by EazyMoh(m): 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2015
RisingEast:
I don't blame the id!ot, I know his tribe grin grin betrays! Any day yellobars stop calling GEJ name will be the end of that useless tribe in this earth grin South West
Wow! Thank God I don't hate anybody that much. Hatred poisons the mind.
SMH
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by OlaSpeaker(m): 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
No one can see the road clearly untill the veil on his face is removed though the truth is bitter but that just the truth
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by ZUBY77(m): 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
Stuupid man. Looking to be noticed or appointed again.
I guess the money he got from GEJ is running down faster than he planned.

So to summarise his words, only people from North merits the positions.. Goat.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by menxer: 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
Is Omokiri now among the prophets of change?

so we knew/know the truth but blatantly refuse to tell ourselves?
diaris God ooo grin
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by EMANY01(m): 8:02pm On Sep 08, 2015
mikolo80:
nope they are preparing the north for zero appointment whenever south wins again

You are one of only a few who understand the point that Reno made in his article.
He just made a veiled threat to the north that now they have claimed that federal character no longer matters, they will in the futere be subjected to the culture massive competition for the best and the brightest that the south has always lived with and it is clear who will come off far worse in that sort of system.

The COMPLETE MISUNDERSTANDING of the point Reno made in this write up is the final proof i have that these APC guys lack Critical Thinking skills .
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by mikolo80: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
EMANY01:

You are one of only a few who understand the point that Reno made in his article.
He just made a veiled threat to the north that now they have claimed that federal character no longer matters, they will in the futere be subjected to the culture massive competition for the best and the brightest that the south has always lived with and it is clear who will come off far worse in that sort of system.

The COMPLETE MISUNDERSTANDING of the point Reno made in this write up is the final proof i have that these APC guys lack Critical Thinking skills .
all crowds /mobs lack critical thinking.
why democracy produces dumbassess as leaders
BTW I'm an unrepentant buhari supporter. if he join pdp I will follow him.
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
lurther:

Please, let there be this same merit in the educational system and also public service.

ESPECIALLY THE NIGERIAN DEFENSE ACADEMY (NDA) Only those with connections go there making the military top positions now about the well connected.... Even recruitment is beginning to go down that path......
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by Rhea(f): 12:02am On Sep 09, 2015
[size=18pt]E be like say Reno don dey apply for work for asorock. Na so Reuben take get em own. [/size]
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by giftednat: 12:15am On Sep 09, 2015
Nigerians having voted the APC into power. Have just signed their hempity hemery because the president has decided to turn this nation into his gias arson and when we complain am forced to ask was it not the gruios and gruiosnes of the nigerian people that has brought us to this point of purposeful menemone and plan denocode... Please be guided
Re: Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri by malikisah: 2:00am On Sep 09, 2015
Ask4bigneyo:
My very FTC this early Tuesday.....Seun i dey expect my alert ooo
Newly discovered style of begging for post from Sai Boohary!
BTW
make eno pain you bros, dem go give am job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Obaseki Sacks Lawrence Loye As Permanent Secretary / Yahaya Bello Promises To Pay New Minimum Wage, With Months Of Unpaid Salaries / Lai Mohammed: Bandits Are Simple Criminals; Have No Flags Like Boko Haram, IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.