Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,596 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! (42214 Views)

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 12, 2015
400billionman:

Interesting..

Just interesting? smiley
....more like, awesome
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by alijusty: 10:03pm On Sep 12, 2015
Please i would like to join the group for the contribution and please let's target real skill based training that can add value to our graduates. Nigeria can and would be GREAT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by dfrost: 10:37pm On Sep 12, 2015
alijusty:
Please i would like to join the group for the contribution and please let's target real skill based training that can add value to our graduates. Nigeria can and would be GREAT.

Hi alijusty,

Hope you have 10 naira to spare each month? *chuckles* grin I sent you a pm.

PS: dearpreye, VickyRotex, mentorandfriend, AgapeCharis, khaynoni, ideykwum, alijusty - can someone suggest a name and dearpreye can create a thread so that the mods can move it to front page so that others can become aware of it.

Counting on all well-meaning Nigerians support. Also which is better for most of us: WhatsApp or BBM? so we don't need to create three channels. NL is one channel so we need another channel for on-the-road contributors.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by VickyRotex(f): 11:06pm On Sep 12, 2015
dfrost:

Counting on all well-meaning Nigerians support. Also which is better for most of us: WhatsApp or BBM? so we don't need to create three channels. NL is one channel so we need another channel for on-the-road contributors.

I vote for BBM Please! cheesy grin
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by dfrost: 11:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
VickyRotex:

I vote for BBM Please! cheesy grin

Okay. I've sent you an invite.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ideykwum: 6:04am On Sep 13, 2015
That's the entrepreneurial spirit that challenges the status quo, provides a value proposition, makes profit and does not need a career or job to make it in life! You're right, there is an elephant in every "entrepreneurial ant"!!! wink

dearpreye:

Funny! But there's an elephant in every ant na! LOL!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ideykwum: 6:10am On Sep 13, 2015
I'd suggest BBM because Whatsapp has a limitation of a 100 additions. We'd need a yahoo group too (nothing wrong with a third group for lengthy mails, or forwarding opportunities!).

For a name, I'd draw inspiration from dearpreye and call it "The Entrepreneurial Ants"! cheesy wink Remember, every ant has an Elephant in it (its not only Peak that goes in!).

dfrost:

Hi alijusty,

Hope you have 10 naira to spare each month? *chuckles* grin I sent you a pm.

PS: dearpreye, VickyRotex, mentorandfriend, AgapeCharis, khaynoni, ideykwum, alijusty - can someone suggest a name and dearpreye can create a thread so that the mods can move it to front page so that others can become aware of it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by bare1(m): 8:23am On Sep 13, 2015
Wow it's been quite a while I last came here, these lovely comments make me realise I missed quite a few. I've been busy and had to take some time to myself to work on stuff. Coincidentally, the work I have been busy with is related to this subject in a way. This subject surely is a critical one and should be treated as such. Honestly I do not blame those who want to regret the time spent in the university. Personally, if I knew half of what I know now from life experience earlier, one thing is certain that I would have not gone to waste time in the university. Gradually education is losing its relevance especially here where the quality is so bad and needs an overhauling. If you ask me, the university is not meant for everyone and if efforts were made to develop children, many of them would not have to go to school thereby creating more space for more quantitative and qualitative education for those relevant studies as well as decongest the largely populated campuses.

I like the statement 'If you want to be rich and happy, don't go to school' because it is the plain truth. Schools do not teach about money. It teaches how to earn a living, not how to make a fortune. It teaches what to think and not how to think. If school was so great, how come so many who have passed through just struggle to have just enough while some don't. Even the professors that have the highest academic qualifications cannot entirely boast to be rich and wealthy but for only a couple of them. But then individuals have their desires as to the kind of life they want to live and that brings me to a favourite subject of mine which is creating the life you desire.

I hear some people say they don't want too much, that as long as a have a good job, a nice house and stuff like that, they are okay. However I see this to be absolute crap. Let them come across wealth and let's see if they would reject it. Nobody detests the good life, and even those who are downright humble would still not reject wealth, instead they would use it to provide for those not privileged. Show me a person that is okay with just a little and I will tell you he doesn't know how to get more than that or is simply lazy to take action to do so. This is one big problem that has paralysed people's ability to live the life they truly desire. So many people have to go through school studying courses they don't like and just have to manage, to work jobs they equally do not like just to survive through life. They see going to school, getting good grades to get a good job as the way out to get job security, but they do not realise no job is secure. Companies are laying off people here and there and making it hard for them to get other jobs. Even if they had a good job, do they intend to work all their lives? They would have to retire someday and when they do is when you realise how many people wasted their lives. I have come across people who went into retirement with nothing to show for all their years of work all because they never did useful thinking and planning of their lives. Even though many others too live comfortably working their way up the ladder, there are a lot more not doing so and that's why to be rich and happy, you have nothing to do with school and everything to do with financial education. But before that you need an education of yourself and your connection to the world.

The basic problem behind every other one relating to career, relationship, finances is self development. You need conscious thinking and awareness as to what works and what doesn't, and have to realise the need to change all you have been doing that's leading to a dead-end. The thing is that out of every 100 people you meet today, only about 5 of them have a definite major purpose in life. Of that 5, only 2 go on to achieve it. When you have a purpose you stand a better chance of wealth and success because you have a destination where you are headed. If you do not know what you want from life, how can you get it. You could only watch as circumstances toss you here and there and give you what you ask of life, while some others get the jobs they want, the relationships they want and the exact life they desire. Personally I had always had an idea of my definite major purpose but couldn't place it, but with so much studying, thinking and meditation I found it and have lived a life of peace and abundance since then. There's so much about this subject that if I do not stop deliberately, I could go on and on.

One of my core values is to see people get better, have mental, spiritual, time and financial freedom and so finding their definite purpose is part of it and that's what I've been working on. Personal development is a full time job for me because I have come to realise there's little more else to do in the vastness and relevance of it. Most of the things we see are just illusions, true wealth lies within and only made manifest physically, so if you take care of your development, your development will take care of you.

Note: For those who seek their definite major purpose and need help doing so, I would be willing to support you. Just let me know.

Greetings!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by LieDetector(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2015
ideykwum:
I'd suggest BBM because Whatsapp has a limitation of a 100 additions. We'd need a yahoo group too (nothing wrong with a third group for lengthy mails, or forwarding opportunities!).

For a name, I'd draw inspiration from dearpreye and call it "The Entrepreneurial Ants"! cheesy wink Remember, every ant has an Elephant in it (its not only Peak that goes in!).

I will be glad to be in the group

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by dfrost: 9:39am On Sep 13, 2015
ideykwum:

Good morning ideykwum.

I'm with you on the BBM. Here's my PIN:

593EB63E

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ideykwum: 10:05am On Sep 13, 2015
I created a group and added you! You can add others to th group! Thanks

dfrost:

Good morning ideykwum.

I'm with you on the BBM. Here's my PIN:

593EB63E

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ideykwum: 10:31am On Sep 13, 2015
We have created a bbm channel called "The Entrepreneurial Ants"! Please add it!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by dfrost: 10:54am On Sep 13, 2015
LieDetector:

593EB63E my pin. We await you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by dfrost: 10:56am On Sep 13, 2015
LieDetector:

593EB63E my pin. We await you. We will surely need you to help us detect liars and unscrupulous elements. cheesy
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by LieDetector(m): 11:05am On Sep 13, 2015
dfrost:

593EB63E my pin. We await you. We will surely need you to help us detect liars and unscrupulous elements. cheesy
lol. Sent you an invite grin
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
The world doesn't owe you a job.
Very salient point. The so called 'illiterates' have realised and understood this point since ages, yet the self-acclaimed 'literates' have refused to.

Hmmm! So true.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 13, 2015
ideykwum:
We have created a bbm channel called "The Entrepreneurial Ants"! Please add it!
Just joined. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Osemond123(m): 5:34pm On Sep 13, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
Osemond123:

Are you sure it's correct?
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by zonax(m): 6:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:
Mystiq07 and xtreme07, you're all needed here. Come and drop your inspiring words on this thread. Zonax, you're also invited here.

Thanks Mr Dearpreye for inviting me here, I was humbled when I got the invite from Dearpreye. once again thanks.

Now talking about purpose, I believe each and everyone of us has his/her calling. Just that some people don't have the urge to take it through.
Imagine what would have lbecame of football if somebody Messi had gone ahead to study Medicine and become a Doctor.
That would have suffered the game of football.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 13, 2015
zonax:

Thanks Mr Dearpreye for inviting me here, I was humbled when I got the invite from Dearpreye. once again thanks.

Now talking about purpose, I believe each and everyone of us has his/her calling. Just that some people don't have the urge to take it through.
Imagine what would have lbecame of football if somebody Messi had gone ahead to study Medicine and become a Doctor.
That would have suffered the game of football.

Thanks for honouring the invite. I saw your comment on one of my threads and felt you would have something poignant to contribute and of course you've said something very strong.

Purpose is very vital in our lives. Our success lies in our identifying and pursuing passionately our purpose.

The scenario you pointed is a troubling and worrisome one. These two footballers are fulfilling destiny and equalling bringing smiles to the faces of scores of millions of fans across the globe. Plus making millions of dollars in the process. Hmmm!

Or imagine Michael Jackson being compelled to become a boxer and Cassius Clay going the opposite direction! Disaster! And that's the situation many are in today.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:
Mystiq07 and xtreme07, you're all needed here. Come and drop your inspiring words on this thread. Zonax, you're also invited here.
oh wow thanks for the mention brother smiley am honoured.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 13, 2015
Mystiq07:
oh wow thanks for the mention brother smiley am honoured.....

Thanks for coming here. Happy Sunday sister.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for coming here. Happy Sunday sister.
thanks smiley
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 13, 2015
Mystiq07:
Sister smiley

Will edit, my dear.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Osemond123(m): 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:

Are you sure it's correct?
56142988 yes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
Osemond123:

56142988 yes.

Thought it must contain at least one alphabet!

It's OK!

1 Like

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 13, 2015
What is plaguing our youths today is not unemployment, smiley no that is just a fruit from a huge TREE. We youths were supposed to learn from the previous generations before us.

"A wise man learns from other people's experiences to avoid walking the same paths". Many youths today never broke out of the cage placed by society and the values, they came to this world and became slaves of society and that which was proposed to us, shaped us put us in this state. "The 9stages of life" - Birth- School- Get a job-Hustle to buy a car and build a house-Get married and have children - Foot bills- Get old - Regretting all your lost potentials-Die.

Let me give an example: You grew up with either ur parents, institutions or exposure telling you that for you to make it, this is the way it is done. So they carved out the system for you called school. Now is this wrong? No!, but what they failed to do was to educate you on the true essence of school, hence the failure formed a Rat race mindset many people find themselves in today.

Most of us have been one dimensional all our lives, from the day of inception, to primary and Secondary school finally to the University(and the likes) and now out into what society termed "Job market". What did we expect it's a marketplace afterall (dat means it's not defined, it's a trade Center, a
value System. If u don't meet the requirements you can't trade!.

Unfortunately, these requirements go beyond what has been termed school. Employers are looking for assets (what skills have you acquired character wise, intellectual wise and also capability wise) all these go beyond school no one wants a liability. Let me ask this question and sincerly answer yourself with the knowledge you have about yourself, if you were the owner of a company, WILL YOU EMPLOY YOURSELF? What can u bring to the Table? What asset do you have? What gives you the confidence that if that company wants to lay off staffs, your name wont be on that list? Most youths today are sell outs they lack character, lack discipline and intergrity (they bend the rules at any given opportunity) also in terms of excellence.

What are you doing to improve yourself? What books are you reading? Are you taking a new course to give yourself that edge career wise? How do you comport yourself? Most of these things are not learnt in school. They are built by oneself with a drive to succeed. Lets take a look at successful people in the world today. Do you think they became successful by waking up, eating, chating away, or complaining about the government? doing absolutely nothing waiting for that which you think the government owes you No! Go and read success stories none of these people followed this path we were taught by society. There is something wrong somewhere. These people broke out of the mentality given to them by society, moving against the wind!! ( do u know how hard that can be? Think about that for a second ) yes! exactly that's the path to success.

There is a saying "Show the poor man how the Rich became rich and the poor man will choose to remain poor". I broke out of these society mindset in my 200l when I was in school. At that time I was already thinking impact, preserving Posterity and touching the world globally. I invested in books, sometimes went hungry just to acquire a particular book. I was building up myself with God's help and prayer too, because I knew where I was going and was determined to get there. YES! I already knew that which is my purpose in life so I was focused (another major fruit from that tree). Most people don't know their purpose so they live a trial and error life because true fulfilment comes only from fulfilling your God giving purpose. Éven If you secure that job if it isn't ur purpose u will soon become weary.

Stop! Pause! And Think! What do u want to make out of this life? Will you remain one pegged by the society or will you break out of that cage and fashion something out of yourself? You need to go to the Job section on Nairaland and see the cast down mentality of Nigerians, complaining, blaming the government and what not. All these are statement of failures(pls no insults intented). No one owes you nothing! I personally decided not to visit the jobs section because the mindset of lack can influence me. Infact nairaland in general. You see youths wasting away their time. This forum was someone's vision if he was wasting away chatting and playing I am sure he would have been among the youths out there crying for help. Start taking responsibility. Think outside the box.

No Job yet? Good did you seek God's help? Have you thought to yourself what can I do with my hands? And wat is your strategy? This ''no capital" story is just an excuse. Have you at least written out that which you want to do in a book and drawn out an adequate plan? When you are not even faithful in that how will you effectively run a business? Doing trial and error? There are jobs out there. What is a job? (meeting a need and being paid for it) look around you that thing lacking in your community is a business in disguise.

"A young man once met a great man he looked up to and asked to be taught how to be successful. The great man smiled and took him to the swimming pool and dipped d young man's head into the pool. The young man was fighting for his breath, just a second before he passed out the great man pulled him up. The young man could hardly breathe he was gasping for air. When He caught his breath he looked sternly at his mentor. His mentor smiled and said when your desire to breathe matches your desire to succeed then you will be successful! smiley

You cant stay in your comfort zone and expect things no! The last generation had created their own success stories(Great people who made legacy). It is the turn of our generation. The sad truth is that most people will recycle the failures of past generations. embarassed Think Impact! BREAK OUT TODAY and PRESERVE POSTERITY! HAPPY sunday thanks dearpreye your threads are the only reason I come to nairaland.... smiley

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
Mystiq07:
What is plaguing our youths today is not unemployment smiley no that is just a fruit from a huge TREE....We youths were supposed to learn from the previous generations before us... "A wise man learns from other people's experiences to avoid walking the same paths" Many youths today never broke out of the cage placed by society and the values.. They came to this world and become slaves of society and that which was proposed to us, shaped us put us in this state... "The 9stages of life" - Birth- School- Get a job-Hustle to buy a car and build a house-Get married and have children - Foot bills- Get old - Regretting all your lost potentials-Die Lemme give an example...You grew up with either ur parents or institutions or exposure telling you if you have to make it, this is a way "so they carved out the system for you called school" Now is this wrong? No! ... But What they failed to do was to educate you the true essence of school hence the failure formed a Rat race mindset many people find themselves in today. Most of us av bin one dimensional in our lives, from d day of inception to primary. Secondary... University(and the likes) and now out into wat society termed (Job market). What did we expect it's a marketplace (dat means it's not defined...a trade Center.. A value System... If u don't meet the requirements u can't trade... Unfortunately These requirements go beyond wat has been termed school... Employers are looking for assets (what skills have you acquired character wise, intellectual wise and also capability wise) all these go beyond school no one wants a liability... Let me ask this question and sincerly answer yourself (Knowing yourself if you are the owner of a COMPANY WILL YOU EMPLOY YOURSELF) What can u bring to the table.... Wat asset do u have... Wat gives u d confidence that today if that company wants to lay off staffs your name wont be on that list? Most youths today are sell outs they lack character, intergrity wise,also in terms of excellence)...wat are you doing to improve yourself... Wat books are you reading.. . Are you taking a new course to give u that edge career wise? How do u comport yourself . Most of these things are not learnt in school. They are built by oneself with a drive to succeed. Lets take a look at successful people in the world today do you think they became successful by waking up.. Eating... Chating away... Complaining about the government... And doing absolutely nothing waiting for that which you think the government owes you No! go read success stories these people broke out of the bondage of society moving against the wind( do u know how hard that can be? Think about that for a second ) yes exactly that's the path to success.... There is a saying "Show the poor man how the Rich became rich and the poor man will choose to remain poor"...I broke out of these society mindset in my 200l when I was in school at that time I ws already thinking impact... Preserving Posterity... Touching the World globally... I invested in books...building up myself with God's help and prayer too because I knew were I was going and was determined to get there..yes I already knew that which is my purpose in life so I was focused (another major fruit from that tree). Most people don't know their purpose so they live a trial and error life because true fulfilment comes only from fulfilling your God giving purpose... Éven If u secure that job if it isn't ur purpose u will soo become weary.... Stop! Pause! And Think! Wat do u want to make out of this life? Will you remain one pegged by the society or will you break out of that cage and fashion something out of yourself? You need to go to the Job section on Nairaland and see the cast down mentality of Nigerians.... Complaining.. Blaming the government... All These are statement of failures(pls no insults intented) Noone owes you nothing! I personally decided not to visit the jobs section because the mindset of lack can influence me! Nairaland in general... You See youths wasting away their time! This forum was someone's vision if he was wasting away chatting and playing I am sure he would have been among the youths out there crying for help! Start taking responsibility... think outside the box... No Job yet? Good did you seek God's help? Have you taught what can I do with my hands? This no capital story is just an excuse... Have you at least written the wat you want to do in a book...? There are jobs out there. wat is a job? (meeting a need and being paid for it) look around you that thing lacking in your community is a business in disguise..."A young man once met a great man he looked up too and asked to be taught how to be successful... The great man smiled and took him to the swimming pool and dipped d young man's head into the pool.... The young man was fighting for his breathe.. And just a second before he passed out the great man pulled him up. The young man could hardly breathe he was gasping for air...When He caught his breath he looked sternly at his mentor... His mentor smiled and said when your desire to breathe is equal to your desire to succeed then you will be successful!... You cant stay in ur comfort zone and expect things no! Last generation has created their own success stories(Great people who made legacy) it is the turn of our generation... And the sad truth is that most people will recycle the failures of past generations! BREAK OUT TODAY and PRESERVE POSTERITY! HAPPY SUNDAY! #pardonanyerror #faultautocorrect #notimetoedit thanks dearpreye your threads are the only reason I come to nairaland.... smiley

Miss, you just wrote a little book. I doubt if I'll be able to run a great commentary on these awesome words. You captured too many vital points in your comment.

The lesson is, GO AGAINST THE NORMS; FOLLOW NOT THE TREND. Challenge the established traditions. Be a nonconformist.

I'll like to ask that you patiently edit this great comment, and have it spaced into paragraphs. I'll be reading over and over till almost every word sinks into my subconscious.

Cc: bare1, freeage7, ideykwum, dfrost, AgapeCharis, please, come and read wisdom.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 13, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 13, 2015
dearpreye:

Miss, you just wrote a little book. I doubt if I'll be able to run a great commentary on these awesome words. You captured too many vital points in your comment.

The lesson is, GO AGAINST THE NORMS; FOLLOW NOT THE TREND. Challenge the established traditions. Be a nonconformist.

I'll like to ask that you patiently edit this great comment, and have it spaced into paragraphs. I'll be reading over and over till almost every word sinks into my subconscious.

Cc: bare1, freeage7, ideykwum, dfrost, AgapeCharis, please, come and read wisdom.
I will try to do that sir... I am busy now... When am done will edit... Sorry smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

FG Begins Payment Of N30,000 To N-power Beneficiaries Today, Says Minister / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. / What Is The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman With Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.