Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise (18970 Views)

Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Drama In The Office As I Tender My Resignation After Getting A New Job. / Check Out This Resignation Letter (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Toks2008(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2015
goldenruby:
it's best imagined my dear. I thank God for you. The labour market is suffocating. Was at a friend's yesterday, she just returned from a job hunting excursion. After all her clean suit and all, she was offered 18k to work from Mon - Saturday.
I wept!

This is why Nigerian ladies seem to be seen as money concious.

Will you blame a lady for wanting a way out of this bondage of job hunting and financial doldrum?

This is indeed a sad situation. God help us.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by banabest(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2015
I can see... Somebody wants to trek to sambisa
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by arigold1304(m): 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
Is better to go out for Nothing than to stay indoor for Nothing.....Present 9ja don't need your experience is only who do you knw and your money for Jobs....What a shame to 9ja........If seek for #10 and nowhere to get it, U will knw that #10 is a big money....So manage it n keep on searching until God's favour locate you

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by ylaa(f): 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2015
AN IDLE HAND IS A THIEF HAND grin grin
Hollabesea:
He shud take the offer if he's presently doing nothing,
An idle hand,is ...
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
really serious!
Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
he can still look for another job while doing it... my first job after NYSC paid me only N25k and it was very close to my house.

frankolett:
He was recently employed as a supervisor in one hotel at alimosho LGA Lagos State. According to him, the work load is tedious because apart from supervising, he also handles their account. He was surprise when his MD says his salary will be 15k for first 3moth after which it will be increased to 20k. Going off will be twice in a week and his house is Stone throw to the hotel. How can he possible accept this offer as a graduate of Accounting . Pls advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by prof22(m): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2015
I think its a waste of time. Go and learn a skill. Acquire a skill and you will be good. Bury your pride and learn a skill. Artisans are the new rich dudes now, as a graduate any skill you acquire you polish it up with the fact that you are a graduate you will be more productive and you will be good.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by toslad: 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
Just to share my experience if it will help:
My first salary was 18,000.00 despite being a graduate and writing my final stage of ICAN!
I had to leave Abeokuta for Lagos to stay with my elder sister as the job is in Lagos.
Ordinarily, I would take two bus rides to the office from my sister's place but I take one bus and trek the remaining distance.
I used to wear my sister's clothes and shoes as my salary could not accomodate my getting some for myself but I learnt.
I and the MD's daughter finished from the same school and same set but she earned more than double my salary.
When I collect my salary I pay my tithe and buy few stuff for the house and I was also attending lectures for my ICAN exams.

In the course of my stay in the company, I got a seemingly better offer which was to pay 3 times my salary but I was going to start at the entry level but I was already being appreciated in my 'current' employment. I took the offer letter and negotiated with the MD of the company!

He said he could not pay what the new company was paying but I got a raise to atleast double which was fine by me!

To cut the long story short, I currently work in a company where I didn't even scale through the entrance exam but got in as an experienced hire!

As majority has said, please let your friend retain the job and put in his best whilst improving himself and applying to other companies. The sky would be a begining point for him.

Thank you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by 2good(m): 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
kkkp:
It is better than staying at home idle. Donot despise the days of your little begining
I disagree with you. A job like that will prevent him from searching for other jobs
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by CrazyMan(m): 3:59pm On Sep 09, 2015
Richie0974:
Wait 20k for a graduate?? What is this country turning into.... Reject it...
Do you have a better offer for him?

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by kobe79: 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2015
expee06:
Half bread senior puff puff!

only half bread whey fresh and get all the ingredients

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by mubarak001(m): 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
He should resign and let us rest jare abi who send am go b4?

Oya manage it and continue to look out for beta offer. Just be nice to the customers, u neva can tell.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by shegchenko: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2015
let him go on with the job and package him self well, also don't let him bcoz of the pay work lackadaisically but work with enthusiasm, who knows there may be a God sent Samaritan like customer that will love his good supervising skill and help him to a better place. Experience matters too

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by tunergy(m): 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2015
frankolett:
He was recently employed as a supervisor in one hotel at alimosho LGA Lagos State. According to him, the work load is tedious because apart from supervising, he also handles their account. He was surprise when his MD says his salary will be 15k for first 3moth after which it will be increased to 20k. Going off will be twice in a week and his house is Stone throw to the hotel. How can he possible accept this offer as a graduate of Accounting . Pls advice

Is your friend a fresh blood? (New graduate) or has he got some prior experience.

If he has experience then he can run from that job.
But if this is his first job and the money is his first focus not the opportunity to learn.

Tell him to resign immediately cos he will only be working with grudges.

Experience open up doors to opportunities which nrings in money.

I can testify to that.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by tunergy(m): 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
shegchenko:
let him go on with the job and package him self well, also don't let him bcoz of the pay work lackadaisically but work with enthusiasm, who knows there may be a God sent Samaritan like customer that will love his good supervising skill and help him to a better place. Experience matters too

That is it my brother. But will he be dedicated? Cos this days everybody don tear eye pass dem parents.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by coolsegun2002: 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2015
I don't get this OP....

1)Did they tell ur friend a particular salary was gonna be paid nd it was changed to 15k?

2)Or he was never told about his salry but took the job anyway out of deaperation??

Cos, like Seriously?? Ur friend took a job without knowing the renumeration package...come on...u ain't making sense..if u said the work load was different after he resumed I would understand employers do dat alot...
Anyways if no2 is d case...it means he already envisaged the worst case scenario of salary cos I see no reason why he won't ask how much his salary was gonna be b4 taking the job...so he should just stay dia nd look for another since he has off days to show...15-to 20k..dats way low but it ain't that terrible..it can buy recharge card,feed u if u aint a heavy eater,even buy one or two clothes ones in 2months..u might not live a standard life...but u can't be miserable like a jobless fella....
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by testoy: 4:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
That salary is a joke, no doubt. But then it is relative. Your friend needs to assess his present situation and determine if after working there for a few months, he could be better off or worse off.

He should consider the following:

1. He is building his experience (which he will need on his CV when applying for future roles).
2. He lives close by, so transport costs are eliminated (or mostly so)
3. (Hopefully) he gets fed at the hotel
4. He can put together a savings and use that to invest in a small business
5. If he gets a better job a week after he starts, he is free to resign
6. He is not sitting home doing nothing

However, if after considering the above he still feels unconvinced, then its best he does not take the role.
following...............
(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like) (Share)

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2015
Great men usually kick off from ground zero!

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by elohorayodele: 4:55pm On Sep 09, 2015
frankolett:

Tell your friend to hold on to the job till he gets something better.
even if he gets a job that pays 50 or 60k far from his house, he will def spend 30k on feeding and transport monthly.
Alimosho is basically residential and quite far from other parts of lagos

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by papilo90(m): 5:25pm On Sep 09, 2015
Sijo01:
Hold on to it. Acquire the experience, use your two days off duty to look for other jobs.
It's good you don't spend on transport. As a hotelier, you should be entitled to a square meal a day, right. It's an avenue to also meet people.

Wise words, very inspiring.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Richie0974:
Wait 20k for a graduate?? What is this country turning into.... Reject it...
I tell you. very bad. the mechanic beside my house earns wey more than 20k. its disheartening
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by bummyla(m): 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
my 1st salary as a graduate was N10K! take it if he is not doing any thing! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Toks2008(m): 6:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
anonimi:

Thank you for using the word LEGALLY.
Quite impressive for a Nigerian on nairaland.
May God bless you richly in your endeavours- Amen!

There is hope still for my country. cheesy
AMEN! and another big AMEN!

Sometimes when i think about this life and all these rich people gallivanting about i tend to ask one question..

"If every millionaire or billionaires on earth were striped open and their source of wealth is made known,how many of them will be really qualified to be millionaires?"

I am the last person on earth that will dupe anyone or get involved in sharp practices.Right before cyber crime became known i have known about it in the late 90s but of what use is it?

I would rather die poor than get involved in crazy acts all in the bid to make money and i have prayed to GOD to make me another living example of a Political leader in Nigeria whose ways are pure and void of shady deals. GOD BLESS MY POLITICAL CAREER.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by linearity: 6:21pm On Sep 09, 2015
Young Professionals make mistakes when they focus on the money.

Let your focus be on your carrier and acquiring experience. Go there, acquire relevant work experience, add it to your resume and use that position as a stepping stone.

The Bible even said that, we should not despise the days of little beginnings.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by ushafe(m): 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
kkkp:
It is better than staying at home idle. Donot despise the days of your little begining
there some things we that is not rite all, hw can u be waiting for 15k in 90days, ie foolishness, my find something else to update urself
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 09, 2015
omodapson:
A bird in hand is worth more than the millions still roaming free in the air.
u jes tuk d wrds outta ma mouth..OP tk note
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by sunnyt1(m): 10:57pm On Sep 09, 2015
frankolett:

I wont advise you to take this 15k/20k job offer.

2 days off per week? And the daily work will be for how many hours? If its an 8hrs work, lai lai

You shouldnt view it form the angle of " its better than nothing", this kind of job will affect your chances of getting another job, applying for other job offer might not be as easy as you thought once you start this kind of job

It depends on you anyway
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by DedeNkem: 11:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
Justicealh3:
Man' dont abuse, then, hw can e sach 4 a new job, wen e got no chance der, uh?

Of course, online. Most companies post job vacancies online. He has time to access internet.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by jossy26: 12:52am On Sep 10, 2015
seriously 20k jobs are not meant for graduates, that kind of job should be for high school leavers or under graduate on vacation, i really hope government do something about our labour laws because its disheartening to hear stories like this.....small Angola has a functioning and robust labour laws not the crap here in naija,,,,
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Kazrem(m): 12:59am On Sep 10, 2015
Sijo01:
Hold on to it. Acquire the experience, use your two days off duty to look for other jobs.
It's good you don't spend on transport. As a hotelier, you should be entitled to a square meal a day, right. It's an avenue to also meet people.
You just spoke my mind. If some people working in a private organization get that 2 days off, they would rejoice even at that same amount. Igboro no laugh at all.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Richy4(m): 2:13am On Sep 10, 2015
Tell your friend I said he should take it. Things has ways of working out for good.

That work load is preparing him on what lies ahead.
Besides if he put in his CV that he can multitask, that is part of the meaning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

550 OpenAI Employees Ask Board To Quit Or They'll Resign. / 3 Reasons Companies Are Dumping Interview For Assessment Center / How My Job Nearly Got Me Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.