Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? (3047 Views)

Do Yorubas And Hausas Do Masqurades Like The Igbos/Ibibios? / Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? / Yorubas And Fulanis Are Isrealites (must Watch Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by YungMillionaire: 12:24am On Sep 10, 2015
Today, I encountered a lively back and forth between two of my favorite NLers @Emilokoiyawon and @bigfrancis. Both laying tribal claim to the great Dr. Adevoh. The back and forth reminds me of two siblings arguing over who is the favorite of their parents. I have known Emiloko for a while now. I met him on Facebook and I was intrigued that a man from Ogun State spoke Berom (my language), I later spoke to him on the phone and I have to say his Berom is better than mine LOL. He is a charming dude, very funny, intelligent and lively. His knowledge of middle belt politics and culture is quite astounding, to say the least. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the man I spoke to on the phone has no single tribalist bone in his body. Also, bigfrancis, despite his reputation as an Igbo tribalist comes off as just a normal Nigerian dude - nice and friendly. I lived a few years in Onitsha and did my youth service in Ondo State. I have always been intrigued by these two major tribes. I marvel at the intelligence and cunning of the average Yoruba guy, and the industry of the Igbos. My contention is IF Nigeria can find a way to make the Yorubas and Igbos to form a strong alliance Nigeria will maybe be catching up with countries like China and Japan. At least these two guys were not fighting over 'celebrities' but over a remarkable woman who gave her life to save millions of Nigerians - this is what Nigerians should be doing not arguing over Psquare and Dbanj.

ANYWAY - what do you guys think? 1 LOVE.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by cozy7(m): 12:26am On Sep 10, 2015
Well, I'm from d east, but I was born n breed, as well as schooled in Lagos. I can authoritatively tell u that our Yoruba frds like to tirelessly argue, they'll initiate a fight then turn to d next man (they never met) hoping for support. Igbos on d other hand, doesn't have mch time to argue, they're busy plotting their next income, and wouldn't mind taking some time off to deal or fight with any Yoruba man who's distracting him from doing his business.

Op, don't bother your head, these fights are d beauty of our culture.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by scholes0(m): 12:47am On Sep 10, 2015
The Yorubas think they are superior to any other race in Nigeria and maybe even Africa, they are culturally conservative but socially embracing.
for example, they might not learn your language but will be glad to help you learn theirs if you want to. They might not wear your clothes, but will gladly introduce you to theirs and snap pictures of you in it, with them being around of course. They might not want to live in your village, but won't have any problem with you living among them. Etc

The Igbos too place themselves on a high pedestal of human achievements thinking they are better than any other group of people. They are dynamic in a special kind of way, and tend to take the complexion of anywhere they find themselves.(They are quite adaptable) . They are individual and to them, success is best measured when one man goes the race alone.

What do you expect when both groups meet? wagging of tongues all day long is what you will get.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by YungMillionaire: 12:50am On Sep 10, 2015
cozy7:
Well, I'm from d east, but I was born n breed, as well as schooled in Lagos. I can authoritatively tell u that our Yoruba frds like to tirelessly argue, they'll initiate a fight then turn to d next man (they never met) hoping for support. Igbos on d other hand, doesn't have mch time to argue, they're busy plotting their next income, and wouldn't mind taking some time off to deal or fight with any Yoruba man who's distracting him from doing his business.

Op, don't bother your head, these fights are d beauty of our culture.

that's an interesting take. Which state are you from? I have visited Lagos but I have not lived there. I lived a few years in Onitsha though.
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Desgidi(m): 2:48am On Sep 10, 2015
I think those that argue pass among the Yorubas are the Ibadan men and women...I saw a man yesterday whose face was cutt like he fought with an Ethiopian lion... He was arguing with his friend that honey well Noddles was better than dangote Noddles...this men argue for hours and switch battery like android application.... Igbo kwenu!!.the Israelite in Nigeria... They only argue wen some Nwobi and chilled guilder are on the table...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by cozy7(m): 8:54am On Sep 10, 2015
YungMillionaire:

that's an interesting take. Which state are you from? I have visited Lagos but I have not lived there. I lived a few years in Onitsha though.
I'm proudly from Imo state, but I've only been there countable times. I've Lived all my life in Lagos.
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 10, 2015
Maybe I'm being too short-sighted, but I don't see a Nigeria where these two groups are able to live together without verbal brawls. I say 'verbal' because so far both groups don't seem to have it in them to notch things up and get really 'physical'...which is something I'm thankful for.

Not that on an individual level Igbos and Yorubas don't forge great friendships, but that 'handshake across the Niger' is probably never going to happen. Sadly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Cuddlebugie(f): 10:48am On Sep 10, 2015
The truth of the matter is, every tribe is guilty of tribalism but these two tribes just have an incurable obsession with tribal identity
The Tom and Jerry relationship between the igbos and yorubas have come to stay .
It's like these two tribes can't help it, one moment they are sweet to one another, the next, they switch to their "factory default settings".

Even some of the smug comments here are laced with tribal undertones

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by PabloAfricanus(m): 2:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
grin grin grin
Reason why i refuse to contribute to most threads.
Kids everywhere.
Some even argue over whose village saw the white man first angry
Others take it a notch higher and claim higher slave output to the americas cry
Others prefer to claim political victories off politicians who have been looting their public treasuries for years with nothing to show for it.
Fact is… africans have a lot of growing up to do.
Na our so called "university education" dey deceive us.
Yorubas, Igbos, Hausas, Fulanis, Edos, Nupes, Efiks.. Over 250 ethnic groups… were conquered, subjugated, colonized, dominated, ruled by a mere handful of white men.
They even "granted" us independence.
Shameful.
And all the descendants of colonized and brainwashed people can do all day is mouth off.
No plan to move ahead and improve the semblance of modern life bequethed them by their white masters.
No strategy, no short term or long term agenda.
Just a pack of pathetic niqqas.
@OP leave them to argue….they truly do not know better.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by bigfrancis21: 3:43pm On Sep 10, 2015
YungMillionaire:
Today, I encountered a lively back and forth between two of my favorite NLers @Emilokoiyawon and @bigfrancis. Both laying tribal claim to the great Dr. Adevoh. The back and forth reminds me of two siblings arguing over who is the favorite of their parents. I have known Emiloko for a while now. I met him on Facebook and I was intrigued that a man from Ogun State spoke Berom (my language), I later spoke to him on the phone and I have to say his Berom is better than mine LOL. He is a charming dude, very funny, intelligent and lively. His knowledge of middle belt politics and culture is quite astounding, to say the least. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the man I spoke to on the phone has no single tribalist bone in his body. Also, bigfrancis, despite his reputation as an Igbo tribalist comes off as just a normal Nigerian dude - nice and friendly. I lived a few years in Onitsha and did my youth service in Ondo State. I have always been intrigued by these two major tribes. I marvel at the intelligence and cunning of the average Yoruba guy, and the industry of the Igbos. My contention is IF Nigeria can find a way to make the Yorubas and Igbos to form a strong alliance Nigeria will maybe be catching up with countries like China and Japan. At least these two guys were not fighting over 'celebrities' but over a remarkable woman who gave her life to save millions of Nigerians - this is what Nigerians should be doing not arguing over Psquare and Dbanj.

ANYWAY - what do you guys think? 1 LOVE.

Emilokoiyan also speaks good Igbo as well. I was impressed by his command of the Igbo language one time where he flowed like just any other Igbo speaker. That was awesome coming from a Yoruba speaker!

However, his often tribalist stance and diatribe towards easterners of recent is rather shocking, especially coming from one who could actually speak the language.

There is a clear difference between an undying love for one's place of origin and being plain tribalist towards other tribes. I regard myself as a lover of the Igbo culture, tradition and people. In reality an Igbo freak. What I realized is that many members on this forum cannot simply define what 'tribalist' really means such that a defender or lover of one's culture is 'tribalist'.

It would really come a long way to have a peaceful relationship between Igbos and Yorubas in Nigeria. There are a lot of insecurities and misconceptions borne by both parties that have continued to be passed down generation to generation. The issue can be likened to the Hebrews vs Arabs. A mediating solution would be to have both tribes in different countries of their own to mitigate the tension. That may not mean total solution to the problem.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by bigfrancis21: 3:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
PabloAfricanus:
grin grin grin
Reason why i refuse to contribute to most threads.
Kids everywhere.
Some even argue over whose village saw the white man first angry
Others take it a notch higher and claim higher slave output to the americas cry
Others prefer to claim political victories off politicians who have been looting their public treasuries for years with nothing to show for it.
Fact is… africans have a lot of growing up to do.
Na our so called "university education" dey deceive us.
Yorubas, Igbos, Hausas, Fulanis, Edos, Nupes, Efiks.. Over 250 ethnic groups… were conquered, subjugated, colonized, dominated, ruled by a mere handful of white men.
They even "granted" us independence.
Shameful.
And all the descendants of colonized and brainwashed people can do all day is mouth off.
No plan to move ahead and improve the semblance of modern life bequethed them by their white masters.
No strategy, no short term or long term agenda.
Just a pack of pathetic niqqas.
@OP leave them to argue….they truly do not know better.

It is pitiable to read those examples you gave. Tribes even argue who met the 'white man' first before the other or first to go to school before the other as if it attaches to them some element of specialty or importance.

The world is a dynamic place. Times and conditions are ever changing. The first today may turn out to not be the first tomorrow. The world today cares about the present and what impact one is able to make presently. I think that is what matters.
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by macof(m): 12:30pm On Sep 12, 2015
Its all talk and no action.

So what is the way forward?
You've identified the problem, now what's the cause of the problem and how do we resolve it?
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 14, 2015
Ni-ge-ria I think would best be split in three cause we all just have humanity in common but personality yawks it sucks

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by mayordadon(m): 12:44am On Sep 14, 2015
Lol . I dnt think anybody can end this,caus its natural . I cant tend nt to support my tribe.just word/opposit..apc/pdp, white/blacks, animal/plant, christain/muslim.. So to me .dats aow it wil b until when der is no more tribe as a factor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 14, 2015
they are like dog and cat.
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Funkybabee(f): 1:02pm On Sep 16, 2015
Actually, the thing i can say about this is that igbo are to rude. they don't know how to talk i mean they lack manners if u are in a place and u know that is not ur birthplace u have to be cool and do normal, but igbo they don't want to know if its their fathersland they will just do as if they are the owner of the place thats what make me think we normally fight for and also they don't want yoruba to be prosper ahead of them if they hear say yoruba pikin done do good they will start gossip talking rubbish like dbanj and don jazzy i don't know why maybe it is in their blood shaa thats my view ....*$

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by bigfrancis21: 1:43pm On Sep 16, 2015
Funkybabee:
Actually, the thing i can say about this is that igbo are to rude. they don't know how to talk i mean they lack manners if u are in a place and u know that is not ur birthplace u have to be cool and do normal, but igbo they don't want to know if its their fathersland they will just do as if they are the owner of the place thats what make me think we normally fight for and also they don't want yoruba to be prosper ahead of them if they hear say yoruba pikin done do good they will start gossip talking rubbish like dbanj and don jazzy i don't know why maybe it is in their blood shaa thats my view ....*$

You were making a good point until that part in bold. Let me ask you, what makes you think that it is the Yoruba birthright to be 'ahead' of Igbos or other tribes in Nigeria? No tribe or people should feel that they 'own' the right to be 'ahead' of others. Yorubas had a headstart before the Igbos but that does not mean things will remain like that forever. During my secondary school days, I and a few others who often came first in class used to say amongst ourselves that coming first in class easy, but maintaining that first position that is harder. All 3 of us would often struggle for the first position and it often rotated hands between all 3 of us during our JSS days. In history, empires have risen to become world powers, stayed at the zenith for a while and lost power, only for another power to take over. Egypt, Rome and England were all world powers at one time or the other during history, way before America, when America was nothing. Today, America is the world's power and Egypt, Rome and England are still existing without much fanfare.

Understand that the world is a dynamic place and circumstances change. The first today might not be the first tomorrow. And when someone eventually takes over, be humble enough to concede power and move on in life.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by Funkybabee(f): 8:28pm On Sep 17, 2015
[quote author=bigfrancis21 post=38067434]

You were making a good point until that part in bold. Let me ask you, what makes you think that it is the Yoruba birthright to be 'ahead' of Igbos or other tribes in Nigeria? No tribe or people should feel that they 'own' the right to be 'ahead' of others. Yorubas had a headstart before the Igbos but that does not mean things will remain like that forever. During my secondary school days, I and a few others who often came first in class used to say amongst ourselves that coming first in class easy, but maintaining that first position that is harder. All 3 of us would often struggle for the first position and it often rotated hands between all 3 of us during our JSS days. In history, empires have risen to become world powers, stayed at the zenith for a while and lost power, only for another power to take over.
Thanks for that but don't remember to tell your remaining igbo brothers that they should stop their gossip on us becuz they are the one that normally start it
Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by nigerianrevolut(f): 9:39pm On Jul 13, 2021
Maybe because they are siblings sir. Lol. The North has been holding Nigeria down and back for too long. The South will fly the flag of freedom soon.

Re: Why Do Yorubas And Igbos Like To Argue/'fight' Like Siblings? by BSsniffer: 9:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Nigeria is the modern day tower of babel.... confusion and conflict only happens at the tower of babel.

(1) (Reply)

Flyers, Leaflets & Sticker Distributors In Lagos-nigeria / Describe Yoruba Culture In One Word / Are Black People Less Intelligent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.