Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,806 members, 7,817,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market (2393 Views)

10 Reasons To Dump Apple Iphone For An Android Phone / Check Out The Cheapest Tablet Devices In Nigeria / The Best Android Devices In Nigeria According To Price Category (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 3:43pm On Sep 10, 2015
Apart from the fact that Xiaomi will be bringing in Phone Models that are no longer selling and are outdated in the Chinese and Indian markets, there are other issues associated with the ”Almighty Xiaomi”.

Some of them are highlighted below (please note that these findings are not my personal opinions but a product of research from several Individuals, news agencies and Xiaomi users.)

1. Xiaomi banned by high court in India due to Patent issues:

You must be thinking that what happened? The high court slapped a temporary ban against the Chinese company following a patent complaint from telecom firm Ericsson. Xiaomi India’s office is been visited by officials to ensure it does not sell, advertise, manufacture or import devices but the unanswered question right now is which smartphones are banned to be sold. This is issue is still pending in court.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Xiaomi-banned-from-selling-importing-phones-in-India-Report/articleshow/45457541.cms

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/10/xiaomi-sales-ban-india-ericsson/

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Peeps520: 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2015
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:

Apart from the fact that Xiaomi will be bringing in Phone Models that are no longer selling and are outdated in the Chinese and Indian markets, there are other issues associated with the ”Almighty Xiaomi”.

Some of them are highlighted below (please note that these findings are not my personal opinions but a product of research from several Individuals, news agencies and Xiaomi users.)

1. Xiaomi banned by high court in India due to Patent issues:

You must be thinking that what happened? The high court slapped a temporary ban against the Chinese company following a patent complaint from telecom firm Ericsson. Xiaomi India’s office is been visited by officials to ensure it does not sell, advertise, manufacture or import devices but the unanswered question right now is which smartphones are banned to be sold. This is issue is still pending in court.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Xiaomi-banned-from-selling-importing-phones-in-India-Report/articleshow/45457541.cms

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/10/xiaomi-sales-ban-india-ericsson/
Nigerians share!don't they sell these same phones in other parts of Asia.they can't also sell their red I note 2 and note 2 prime in India and this is probably their best midrange device as of now.go and criticize devices lyk galaxy a5 that cost almost 80k with snapdragon 410

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2015
Whatever. Just sharing information that i think may be useful even if its to just few people. That's why I said at the beginning that the opinions expressed here are not mine.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Peeps520: 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
Xiaomi Smartphone Sales Signal Slowing Growth

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by therealesttin(m): 4:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
Really? Is this confirmed?
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
Peeps520:
Xiaomi Smartphone Sales Signal Slowing Growth

Let them know ooooo. A word is enough. So now they want to send the non selling phones down here right? Na wa o!
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Whizpeter(m): 4:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
These issues you raised are irrelevant, if Xiaomi comes, I would quit my relationship with Tecno

9 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by aieromon(m): 4:53pm On Sep 10, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:

Please list examples of the "outdated" devices that Xiaomi intends to dump in Africa. undecided

Let's start from there before I comment on your review of the ban in India.

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
[size=14pt]So you are so afraid for whatever rubbish brand you are doing marketing for that you have to spread FUD about a manufacturer that has not even landed in Nigeria? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Na wah

So why did you neglect to also post that the ban had been lifted in India on some devices?

why did you neglect to point out the ban was not for quality but for PATENT matters? whose PATENT are they going to infringe in Nigeria? yours?

So you also mean a simple internet search cannot show you the status of whatever phone they bring? So Iphone 5s, Iphone 6 is also outdated abi u don't know?

You think Nigerians are so stupid as not to be able to choose which device they want to buy?

I blame the person paying you to post rubbish. [/size]

12 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 5:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
4llerbuntu:
[size=14pt]So you are so afraid for whatever rubbish brand you are doing marketing for that you have to spread FUD about a manufacturer that has not even landed in Nigeria? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Na wah

So why did you neglect to also post that the ban had been lifted in India on some devices?

why did you neglect to point out the ban was not for quality but for PATENT matters? whose PATENT are they going to infringe in Nigeria? yours?

So you also mean a simple internet search cannot show you the status of whatever phone they bring? So Iphone 5s, Iphone 6 is also outdated abi u don't know?

You think Nigerians are so stupid as not to be able to choose which device they want to buy?

There are links attached to the story, you can publish your feedback there and not direct it to me. Like I said before, I am not asking anybody not to buy the phone ooooo, dont quote me wrong o.
If I had anything to hide I would not have included links. Abegooo. Abi was I the one who published the stories?
And by the way, if a brand pays me to do this, believe me I will do a better job than this. I will go all out to bring them down if it puts food on my table so stop imagining things.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:20pm On Sep 10, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:

There are links attached to the story, you can publish your feedback there and not direct it to me. Like I said before, I am not asking anybody not to buy the phone ooooo, dont quote me wrong o.
If I had anything to hide I would not have included links. Abegooo. Abi was I the one who published the stories?
And by the way, if a brand pays me to do this, believe me I will do a better job than this. I will go all out to bring them down if it puts food on my table so stop imagining things.

[size=18pt]U want to make this worse? Mr. reporter, you have never heard about BALANCED REPORTING? You posted links from 2014 in 2015, if indeed you had done meaningful research like you pretended i can't see how you could have missed the following links:

http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi3-redmi-1s-india-ban-ericsson-574896/

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/12/16/xiaomi-ban-lifted-india-qualcomm-devices/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/xiaomi-permitted-to-import-and-sell-qualcomm-based-handsets-in-india-635320

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Xiaomi-India-ban-partially-lifted-by-Delhi-HC/articleshow/45532631.cms

Very disingenuous of you to assume everyone on NL is a lazy person who does not really follow Tech news and can't use google.

Anyway, let us know the OUTDATED phones Xiaomi is coming to sell, since you have information access all the way from china cheesy

You think marketing is a tea party? [/size]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
4llerbuntu:

[size=18pt]U want to make this worse? Mr. reporter, you have never heard about BALANCED REPORTING? You posted links from 2014 in 2015, if indeed you had done meaningful research like you pretended i can't see how you could have missed the following links:

http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-mi3-redmi-1s-india-ban-ericsson-574896/

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/12/16/xiaomi-ban-lifted-india-qualcomm-devices/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/xiaomi-permitted-to-import-and-sell-qualcomm-based-handsets-in-india-635320

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Xiaomi-India-ban-partially-lifted-by-Delhi-HC/articleshow/45532631.cms

Very disingenuous of you to assume everyone on NL is a lazy person who does not really follow Tech news and can't use google.

Anyway, let us know the OUTDATED phones Xiaomi is coming to sell, since you have information access all the way from china cheesy

You think marketing is a tea party? [/size]

Go away Mr Tea Party. What you should have done is encouraged other to read ur links. I dont care about your marketing skills Mr Maketer, you can market whatever for all I care.
Besides your links say PARTIALLY LIFTED. Its english isn't it? If all was well, would there have been a ban in the 1st place?
Go away joor.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
[size=16pt] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

otimkpu like you.

Stop this practice of bad mouthing other people's businesses. What exactly do you have against Xiaomi, u can't point to one thing.
But you took out time to create thread to mislead people and poison their minds towards the brand.

even if the full ban is in place, what does that mean? You don't know the meaning of PATENT?

Repent.

Anyway, garri no require advert before e sell. If u like borrow megaphone begin do door-to-door propaganda. e no go change anything.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by donhils: 8:39pm On Sep 10, 2015
Xiaomi is not the only company with Patent issues. Samsung, Apple, LG and others, they all have one patent issue one after another. Some Samsung phones were banned in America, at a time Samsung paid about 20 million dollars to Apple (can't really get the accurate figures), xiaomi banned in India from selling MTK phones, I read that somewhere but not with all the details. In all, patent issues is not peculiar to Xiaomi.
Thread closed, next topic pls.

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 3:22pm On Sep 11, 2015
4llerbuntu:

Na wah

Save your breath, there's still more coming.....
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
The scariest is this next issue:

2. Cyber security threat:

Xiaomi is facing an investigation in Taiwan for alleged cyber security threat, as a result of which last month the Taiwanese government decided to ban the company due to several privacy controversies.
Upon further testing, security researchers found that there were several malicious applications preloaded onto the smartphone, including adware that disguises itself as a verified Google application; trojans, which allow hackers to gain control of the phone; and other high-risk software.

Furthermore, the device was “vulnerable to every vulnerability we scanned for,” wrote Andrew Blaich, Bluebox’s lead security analyst, in a blog post.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/07/security-firm-finds-pre-installed-malware-on-xiaomi-mi-4-smartphone/

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by aieromon(m): 3:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:
The scariest is this next issue:

2. Cyber security threat:

Xiaomi is facing an investigation in Taiwan for alleged cyber security threat, as a result of which last month the Taiwanese government decided to ban the company due to several privacy controversies.
Upon further testing, security researchers found that there were several malicious applications preloaded onto the smartphone, including adware that disguises itself as a verified Google application; trojans, which allow hackers to gain control of the phone; and other high-risk software.

Furthermore, the device was “vulnerable to every vulnerability we scanned for,” wrote Andrew Blaich, Bluebox’s lead security analyst, in a blog post.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/07/security-firm-finds-pre-installed-malware-on-xiaomi-mi-4-smartphone/

Please,tell me you finished reading the article from the beginning to the end?

Please,tell me you actually understood what the article was all about?

Now read this https://bluebox.com/technical/popular-xiaomi-phone-could-put-data-at-risk/#_march8 angry

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 4:15pm On Sep 11, 2015
aieromon:

Please,tell me you finished reading the article from the beginning to the end?

Please,tell me you actually understood what the article was all about?

Now read this https://bluebox.com/technical/popular-xiaomi-phone-could-put-data-at-risk/#_march8 angry

I dont understand please enlighten me, send more links please.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by gidjah(m): 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2015
You guys seem to be on the defensive and attacking concerning this xiaomi ishh.me quite know that xiaomi will do well on Nigerias soil wether they bring in updated or outdated mobiles into this nation,after all,IS NAIJA NOW NOT A DUMPING GROUND??

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Babalegba(m): 7:22pm On Sep 11, 2015
Xiaomi should sue the o.p for malicious scaremongering.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:40pm On Sep 14, 2015
grin
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:41pm On Sep 14, 2015
@ op have you seen this :

http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-sales-record-641794/

Sorry o. UU have to try harder
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2015
3. Non certified Google Android Operating system:
Blaich also said that the operating system on the Mi 4 he tested was a non-certified version of Android and therefore subject to a number of flaws. Some of the bugs and security holes his researchers discovered were specific to old Android software, not its current release, leading them to believe that the OS was a mashup between the new KitKat 4.4.4. and an older form of Android.

This has three important implications:

• First, it means the devices are not allowed to use Google services like the Google Play Store.

• Second, the devices are not required to pass Google’s approved set of tests[1] before the device can be released.

• Third, devices can be shipped with known security vulnerabilities. Among the malicious installations the security researchers found were trojans that allowed hackers access to the device, as well as adware that was disguised to look like a verified Google application.

This means that you’re putting your personal, as well as corporate data, at risk (if used as a BYOD) by using such devices.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/02/google-employees-said-worried-xiaomi-mean-android.html

(These words are not mine. I believe there is an option for feedback at the source. You can post your feedback there and stop trying to make it look like I wrote these stories )

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by freshlasgidiboi: 2:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
For me these are just warning signs, its not a statement to say Xiaomi is bad or anything like that. Read and decide whatever yourself.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by aieromon(m): 2:49pm On Sep 14, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:

For me these are just warning signs, its not a statement to say Xiaomi is bad or anything like that. Read and decide whatever yourself.

You have a penchant for digging up irrelevant information for dissemination.

Your case don tire me......I can't educate you further.

Unfollows thread angry

3 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Acidosis(m): 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2015
Nigeria is a dumping ground, they'll surely make millions here. In fact, they shouldn't spend millions on marketing; trust Nairaland ''tech gurus'' to market FOC just as they did with Innjoo, Tecno & Infinix hot plate.

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by caukerzee(m): 6:24pm On Sep 14, 2015
The OP was probably payed by Tecno to do this.
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by ewizard1: 7:34pm On Sep 14, 2015
You guys funny sha... with your link check and balancing. Lmao!

I see you 4lla!
Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by donbenie(m): 10:45pm On Sep 14, 2015
So,wetin come be my own if they ban some Xiaomi phones for India? Na them sabi over there,if I remember correctly they used to ban some Samsung Galaxy phones for US..OP e be like say you be paid shi?
And before we continue kindly name these outdated phones you're talking about..
#ROCKING MY XIAOMI REDMI NOTE 2 NOTHING DO ME..
IN OSHIOBABA's VOICE..@Op,you can go and..You know now..

1 Like

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by Craven: 7:22am On Sep 15, 2015
freshlasgidiboi:

Warning signs that we shouldn't purchase Xiaomi when it finally becomes available in Nigeria? Funny.

Listen, Xiaomi isn't turning Nigeria into a dumping site for old phones; that's a blatant lie you came up with on your own. According to tech sites, the two Xiaomi devices coming to Africa are Redmi 2 and Mi4. Although the Mi4 was released last year, the Redmi 2 was released last month. So your theory about Xiaomi dumping old phones in Nigeria is absolutely wrong and baseless. - http://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_is_planning_to_enter_the_africa_market_this_september-news-13657.php

Secondly, Xiaomi isn't the only company that has faced bans or suits. So this is not news. Whether or not India banned Xiaomi isn't our business, really. And it doesn't change the fact that Xiaomi makes good phones. It doesn't change the fact that Xiaomi is now the third largest smartphone maker, after Samsung and Apple.

And even if Xiaomi plans to sell old phones in Nigeria, the decision to purchase those phones will still rest with Nigerians. Xiaomi will not hold guns to our heads and force us to buy. It will be our choice to buy or not to buy. So all the fuss you're making is pretty unnecessary.

I still find Xiaomi to be a very fascinating company; they keep scaring everyone everywhere they go. I am actually rooting for them. - http://www.businessinsider.com/google-is-terrified-of-xiaomi-2015-2

2 Likes

Re: Xiaomi Set To Dump Old And Non Selling Devices In African Market by gonaij: 10:33am On Sep 15, 2015
aieromon:

You have a penchant for digging up irrelevant information for dissemination.

Your case don tire me......I can't educate you further.

Unfollows thread angry
xiaomi is rubbish device from day 1

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot S Camera Samples / Which Phone Can I Get With 25k Pls / Tecno Camon CM (CMore) Full And Detailed Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.