Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? (28976 Views)

"APC May Lose Kaduna In 2019" – Senator Shehu Sani / Serious Hunger, Poverty Killing Nigerians – APC Senator, Shehu Sani / Buhari Never Said He Would Declare His Assets Publicly, APC Did - Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by histemple: 4:53am On Sep 11, 2015
Following president Muhammadu Buhari’s renewed commitment to transparency and his subsequent declaration of his assets, Senator Shehu Sani has also declared his assets.

However, what is surprising in Sani's asset declaration is that, he listed his two wives as part of his properties (assets).

Some people have described it as a slap on womanhood while others see it as reducing the asset declaration to mockery.

What are your views?

Shehu Sani, your wives are not ‘assets’

Senator Shehu Sani is –so far – the only politician to publicly declare his assets after President Muhammadu Buhari and his Vice, Yemi Osinbajo. There are instructive things to note from this. One, Sani declared his wives (and children) as part of his assets. While it is not my place to teach anyone which adjective to use to describe proprietary claims over his own household, listing his family alongside his worldly goods borders on distaste.

Sani is obviously surfing on Buhari’s wave of “change” and he stated as much with self-awarded righteousness. Sani said, “A clean broom is needed to clean a dirty space. I chose to publicly declare and be pelted than to walk with the stain of suspicion and mistrust splashed on all public office holders by a generation of curious citizenry.” Those words seem to me like those of a man who has been in opposition long enough to know the rules of the game: preempt your critics by telling them their scorn is your cross to bear.

Sani also puts his values on the pedestal: his unabashed declaration of his polygamy is a subliminal appeal to the African values he wants us to know he embodies. In these times when “modernities” are making a fuss about what can enter the marriage institution, nothing announces your Africanness louder than a parade of your wives. As Sani decorates himself with these politico-cultural garlands, he should note he owes us a few more things.

One, the reassurance that public declaration of assets is not being confused with sincere and sustainable anti-corruption plan. Asset declaration is routine and even a public announcement of same as an anti-corruption strategy is not merely cosmetic but seriously naive. By the way, is it not curious that some of these declarations are vague? How does a public official declare that he has “several cars” or a plot of land that he cannot readily locate?

Two, that this is not another episode of Nigerian jokes. Since Buhari declared the modest sum of N30m, there is a probability that those who want to glean from his “Spartan” image will declare a lesser sum; not large to turn them into materialists but not small enough to make them look penurious (because that will be injurious to the image they are gunning for). For maximum effect they will add their wives, children and their intellectual property to the list. While this is not exactly illegal, it can turn to an insidious valorisation of poverty that, in the long run, is simply a cultivation of pseudo-cultural values founded on collective hypocrisy; a spurious appeal to modesty.

By poverty, I do not mean an absence of money. Anyone who can afford either N30m or N22m in today’s Nigeria is neither poor nor Spartan. Poverty in this context is relative – borne of weighing a leader’s material possession against those of his/her contemporaries and arriving at the dubious conclusion that the said leader did not attain more because of either his/her modesty or some talakawa ideology.

Even the said leader might believe this and use it to self-soothe, or derive phony self-satisfaction, or even to deflect a critical examination of his/her life.

For instance, Washington Post recently reported that with the sum of $150, 000 Buhari declared, he could be Africa’s least corrupt leader. I have huge problems with that line of reasoning. First, it is too early to judge Buhari’s corruptibility. He has barely spent 100 days in office and therefore cannot yet be compared to other African Presidents like President of Equatorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo or Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe who have stayed long enough in office to consider the national purse as an extension of their wallets. Two, the assertion about wealth and corruption is problematic because it conflates having money with corruption. Nothing can be more untrue! Lacking wealth is not necessarily synonymous with morality and having money does not make one either immoral or amoral. Sometimes people do not have money because they lack ideas or aspiration.

Buhari was kicked out of office in 1985 at the age of 42 when his energy was still at its peak. He could have dissipated those energies on enterprise, be rich and yet retain his values. Only Buhari knows why he is not richer; why he did not turn his passions into an enterprise; why he has 270 cows but his farm is not an innovative enterprise with at least dairy section and/or meat packing division. Only he can explain why he did not turn his hobby of animal husbandry into a business. Trying to explain it away within the frame of corruption is rather simpleminded.

Three, while Sani has thrown the gauntlet to his fellow public office holders, there is a more important question, “And so what?” What problem does a public declaration of your worldly goods solve in a decadent polity? For Sani, there is a more sincere battle waiting and if he is sincere about becoming an apostle of political virtue, here it is: his earnings as a lawmaker. Sani once swore that when he gets to office, he would be battling fellow lawmakers over their humongous salaries and allowances.

Lately, his “body language” suggests he disremembers his earlier promise. He has gone from a man with those elevated ideals to occupy levels as base as what Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose, personifies – exchanging meaningful governance for placatory measures like “stomach infrastructure.” During the last Ramadan festival, Sani turned into Robin Hood, distributing camels and cows to his constituents. He even waxed philosophical about it, stating that camels symbolised endurance, resilience and courage; virtues that Nigerians needed. His defence of this philanthropy indicated that a reduction in National Assembly budget was no longer a priority cause.

In a recent interview, he in fact argued said that federal lawmakers’ earnings was not the issue. What needs be attacked is the system that makes it possible for people to cut such avaricious portions of the national cake. Sani’s argument is decent if one examined it only on the surface. When people who are implicated in social dysfunction encourage their critics to attack the system, they may simply be redirecting attention from their personal (ir)responsibility. William Blake once said, “He who would do good must do it in minute particulars. General good is the plea of the scoundrel, hypocrite and flatterer.”

So this is what Senator Sani can do to walk the talk: he should lay bare his salaries, allowances and the amount of running costs the office he occupies gulps.

In 2009, his fellow lawmaker Senator Sola Adeyeye granted an interview where he detailed how lawmakers were robbing Nigerians. That interview titled, “How the National Assembly robs Nigerians,” Adeyeye pointed out that the money lawmakers collect to run their office – from travelling funds to stationery costs – was a state-sanctioned license to rob Nigeria. Now that Sani himself is a senator – and hopefully still retains his activist/aluta spirit, can he do himself the favour of keeping that promise about National Assembly budget? That is one open declaration that concerns Nigerians, one capable of –hopefully – jumpstarting a national conversation, not the number of wives in his harem.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/viewpoint/shehu-sani-your-wives-are-not-assets/

4 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Sirnokiopee(m): 5:17am On Sep 11, 2015
Very right .... It depend on the tribe and culture of the senator

27 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by skelewu404(m): 5:24am On Sep 11, 2015
This guy above me which network u dey use i was suppose to be the first to comment here. Well i console myself with this second to comment and i dedicate this to my sweetheart that dump me yesterday

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:35am On Sep 11, 2015
Where is the source?
Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by omowolewa: 5:49am On Sep 11, 2015
He should present the receipt of purchase and a popular market where such commodity is sold before it acceptable as asset.

I wonder the kind of treatment he would be giving to the women at home.

Well, I no blame him 'Olosho' don spoil market for women.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by redcliff: 5:59am On Sep 11, 2015
exhibition:
Where is the source?

Need anything from Jumia?
Contact me now!

Why should i contact you? I can just buy from jumia myself right?

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by menix(m): 6:04am On Sep 11, 2015
Hez rite including them just dat he did not classify them rightly.
Classification of nigerian wives: Yellow bar wives with exception of Ondo = Liability Igbo wives with exception of Imo = Asset South south/middle belt wives= Asset Northern wives = Bad Loan

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by ademega(m): 6:05am On Sep 11, 2015
declaration taking too far
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by dotG(m): 6:06am On Sep 11, 2015
Why should i contact you? I can just buy from jumia myself right?

You sef get time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by ademega(m): 6:06am On Sep 11, 2015
exhibition:
Where is the source?

Need anything from Jumia?
Contact me now!
I'm suspecting you with d way you carry jumai on head like dandruff

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by abu12: 6:27am On Sep 11, 2015
[size=16pt]@op have u ever come in contact with assets declaration form? if yes, did you see where the code of conduct bureau ask about your family and spouse?

No need 4 dis mallam [/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by WailingWailer00(m): 6:38am On Sep 11, 2015
This Shehu Sani just loves attention
First, he wanna be a mediator between us and Boko Haram (his brothers)

Now he's declaring his wives among his properties

Cheap publicity undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by olasmith10(m): 7:02am On Sep 11, 2015
maybe the two wives were so difficult for him to acquire.. #sarcasm#

2 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by prodiG(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
leave dat thing jare
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Not only was he right,but also romantically inclined....I also think my future wife & children would be my greatest asset,irrespective of my billions of naira in tangible or intangible

[size=80pt]♥♥♥[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by freesinzu(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
grin
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Mega005(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Madness
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Better assets than liabilities.

4 Likes

Waiting cheesy
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by ylaa(f): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
E WO!
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Demmocrats(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Lol good one grin

Let me declare misnora as my own asset too cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by exlinkleads(f): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
kkkk
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by lurlah2014(f): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2015
right
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by jamesbanjo(m): 9:31am On Sep 11, 2015
Hmmmm.
Am short of wordz lipsrsealed
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Mega005(m): 9:31am On Sep 11, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by lekjons(m): 9:31am On Sep 11, 2015
WailingWailer00:
This Shehu Sani just loves attention
First, he wanna be a mediator between us and Boko Haram (his brothers)
Now he's declaring his wives among his properties
Cheap publicity undecided
he is already a Governor dude!

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Classickid(m): 9:31am On Sep 11, 2015
Madness at its height.

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 11, 2015
A human being can't be classified as an asset because he/she can't be exchanged for money....

That shows how educated he is, huuuh? Senator indeed undecided

2 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Notion(m): 9:32am On Sep 11, 2015
I see
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? by Daniel058(m): 9:32am On Sep 11, 2015
Ok nah,
When oga SEUN GO DECLARE HIS ASSETS, ..... hmmmm I fear ooooooooooooooo

grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Army General Escapes Lynching By Hungry Soldiers / EFCC Declares Iyiola Omisore Wanted For N700m Fraud (Pic) / APC Blasts Charly Boy: Buhari Will Never Resign, Stop Making Senseless Noise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.