Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman (2130 Views)

Pregnant Woman Drags Her Man In Maternity Photoshoot / 9 Things You Can Relate To If You Have Followed Your Mother To The Market Before / Pregnant Woman Blasted For 'bleaching' Her Baby Bump [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by donogaga(m): 7:20am On Sep 11, 2015
Pregnancy can be a stressful period for any expectant mum – never mind those who are experiencing it for the first time.

As well as the changes to your body, cravings, morning sickness and all those additional hormones floating around – plus the fact you’ve got a new life to look after – things other people do can add to your stress.

A recent survey by Asda has revealed the top ‘bugbears’ (or ‘bump-bears’) that expectant and new mums face on a daily basis.

1. Bump touching:
“Did I say you could touch my stomach? If I weren’t pregnant, would you think you could invade my personal space? No? It’s still not ok.”

This took the top spot – with 60% of women surveyed saying bump touching by friends and family, but mostly complete strangers, was the ultimate irritant.

2. Back-handed compliments:
You know the ones – those helpful, ‘friendly’ tips such as “you look tired, make sure you’re getting enough sleep” and exclamations on the size of the bump – “you look huge for how far along you are” and “are you sure you’re not carrying twins?”

You know they mean well, but it’s not what you want to hear when you already feel huge, exhausted and over-emotional.

3. Terrifying labour stories:
Yes, you know a human has got to come out of you. Yes, you know it will hurt. You really don’t need to hear horror stories right before you live through it – it will only make you more nervous.

18% of women surveyed said that they hated this.

4. People giving your secret away:
You opt for a soft drink instead of wine and suddenly your friends are loudly asking: “Why aren’t you drinking? Are you PREGNANT?”

Cue an interrogation you have to lie your way out of.

5. Questions about cravings:
Apparently this is something women get asked a LOT when they’re expecting.

“Are you craving anything yet?”, “Had any weird cravings?”, “I used to eat gherkins all the time when I was pregnant!”

9% of women surveyed said that they were irritated by constantly being asked about cravings.

6. Questions about baby names:
“What are you going to call the baby? You know, don’t you? You’re just not telling me… Oh, come on tell me, I won’t tell anyone!”

The Asda survey revealed that 58% of expectant mums would rather keep the name secret – despite being constantly asked what it is.

7. Unsolicited advice:
As soon as you tell people you’re pregnant, they greet you with congratulations followed by a list of advice you didn’t ask for and most probably already heard from the last person you told you were pregnant.

“Sleep when the baby sleeps”, “Are you looking after yourself?”, “Are you taking vitamins?”

Can’t you just get to grips with the fact there’s a human inside you before you worry about sleeping patterns in seven month’s time?

8. Early visitors:
You’ve just given birth, you look a mess, haven’t slept for two nights, your house is upside down and you’ve got piles of washing everywhere – which is when your second cousin decides to “pop in” to visit the baby.

Cue the frantic tidy-up around her while she does her best to wake up the newborn you’ve just got to sleep with her loud cooing.

34% of new mums said they secretly dread the unexpected invasion of early visitors hoping to get a sneak peak before they’re ready to let the world back in.

9. Childless friends having social lives:
Having a baby? Say goodbye to those friends who don’t have kids and are still partying like they’re students. You probably won’t see them much anymore.

http://howafrica.com/top-9-things-you-should-never-do-to-a-pregnant-woman/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

1 Like

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Imortal001: 7:22am On Sep 11, 2015
Ok, noted!
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by bjprodint(f): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2015
Never hit or hurt a pregnant woman,it affects the baby

2 Likes

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Cutehector(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2015
Some preggie women r sexy.. cheesy
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by therealdeal10: 7:24am On Sep 11, 2015
A 9ija pregnant woman is an angry woman
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by ezeonline2(m): 7:28am On Sep 11, 2015
Never suck a pregnant woman's br***t,it's for the baby. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by debque(m): 7:30am On Sep 11, 2015
noted
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Jedeye2(m): 7:36am On Sep 11, 2015
What if a Pregnant woman hurt me and beat me up. I should no do anything right? Story for d Gods dem
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by oluwafemi113(m): 7:42am On Sep 11, 2015
Good advice
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by donogaga(m): 7:46am On Sep 11, 2015
therealdeal10:
A 9ija pregnant woman is an angry woman

Bro, The dark side of pregnancy is anger.

It can take many forms... from blinding, red hot rage to brooding, bitter resentment. but one thing is fairly certain: it’s generally irrational. Or, at least, the extent of it is irrational.

And, of course, not every pregnant women experiences it.
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by donogaga(m): 7:58am On Sep 11, 2015
Jedeye2:
What if a Pregnant woman hurt me and beat me up. I should no do anything right? Story for d Gods dem

Beat you up? Hahahaha. Hilarious... Anyways, I am sure hormones are to blame. I know this sounds weird, or like I’m rationalizing, which I probably am. but I think the hormones bring out a misguided maternal instinct. The anger “serves” to protect the fetus. Lol.

If you stand too close to some pregnant women, they will get mad. Lurk behind them, They get mad.

There are lots of pregnant women out there who are mad at the world. Its not easy jare.
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by funlord(m): 8:13am On Sep 11, 2015
grin

You forgot number 10! Never lick the _pussy of a heavily pregnant woman! The baby and some vital organs may unexpectedly land in your mouth while on duty!

1 Like

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by thelish(f): 8:41am On Sep 11, 2015
Jedeye2:

And ur not ashamed to say this?

2 Likes

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Kimoni: 8:45am On Sep 11, 2015
donogaga:

Beat you up? Hahahaha. Hilarious... Anyways, I am sure hormones are to blame. I know this sounds weird, or like I’m rationalizing, which I probably am. but I think the hormones bring out a misguided maternal instinct. The anger “serves” to protect the fetus. Lol.

If you stand too close to some pregnant women, they will get mad. Lurk behind them, They get mad.

There are lots of pregnant women out there who are mad at the world. Its not easy jare.

Hmnnnnn

Exagge....
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by nzgal: 8:59am On Sep 11, 2015
OP, this your post na for oyibo oh. Nigerian mums (plus their relations and their friends) must give you advice and ask you personal questions.

And that visiting part, well wishers will even be waiting for you at home on you way back from the hospital.

3 Likes

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Onegai(f): 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
nzgal:
OP, this your post na for oyibo oh. Nigerian mums (plus their relations and their friends) must give you advice and ask you personal questions.

And that visiting part, well wishers will even be waiting for you at home on you way back from the hospital.

Total absolute crap. People should respect themselves and give the new family space (if your intentions are genuine, you can save the gift for later and still give it to baby). And anyone that shows up should be helpful: enter kitchen and make a meal for the tired new parents, clean up, make yourself useful. Don't come and be expecting soup and a meal and crossing your legs in my parlour after I've spent over 18 hours pushing a human being out of my body.

2 Likes

Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by MsBliss(f): 6:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
ok
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Aitee1: 8:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
funlord:
grin

You forgot number 10! Never lick the _pussy of a heavily pregnant woman! The baby and some vital organs may unexpectedly land in your mouth while on duty!

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by parismarc: 10:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
Don't comment on how big her nose has become undecided very annoying.
Re: Top 9 Things You Should Never Do To A Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 12, 2015
Even when d baby is born u will hear tins.how did u bath him?don't use DAT towel ,what kind of sponge is DAT!!!cum let me show d drugs I used for my baby give it to him 15times a day

(1) (Reply)

What Should You Do When You Realized That You Make A Mistake In Your Marriage / .. / What's Your Weird Experience In Your Rented Apartment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.