Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,878 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (50105 Views)

Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by autofreak1(m): 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2016
organicfoods:
April 23rd confirmed for the Vertical sack training, courtesy "The Get skilled" program organized by Notion Africa. Details of the program with approved venue will be communicated on this thread.

15 days to go. Hope all is going according to plan? Please do not forget to update us on the venue.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 12:07am On Apr 10, 2016
autofreak1:

15 days to go. Hope all is going according to plan? Please do not forget to update us on the venue.
I am afraid it might not hold again on the 23rd. Notion Africa is yet to reconcile some certain issues with the local government councils. These issues appear to be clashing with the principles of the NGO footing the bills... Until this is sorted out, perhaps after the local council election.. The issues has to do with politics. NGO needs the backing of the councils to release funds while the council wants to marry the program into their own agenda for political gains. This is the cross road! I hope it's resolved on time. NGO is ready to foot the bills for 150 participants with 10k star up.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Ajusshi: 1:12am On Apr 11, 2016
organicfoods:
I am afraid it might not hold again on the 23rd. Notion Africa is yet to reconcile some certain issues with the local government councils. These issues appear to be clashing with the principles of the NGO footing the bills... Until this is sorted out, perhaps after the local council election.. The issues has to do with politics. NGO needs the backing of the councils to release funds while the council wants to marry the program into their own agenda for political gains. This is the cross road! I hope it's resolved on time. NGO is ready to foot the bills for 150 participants with 10k star up.
But....10k too, too small oh! Why not scale down the number of participants to be sponsored to say,..50, and increase the sum to 30k?

Not participating ooh! just a suggestion.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by kk4real: 11:31am On Apr 11, 2016
organicfoods:

My 2cents advice avoid Govt officials like a plague when you can, deal with them when only absolutely neccessary. MOST of them are after selfish interests, they have no one's interest at heart. All they want is to score cheap political points. It's very rare to see Govt officials who have vision and their constituents interest's at heart.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:41pm On Apr 11, 2016
Ajusshi:
But....10k too, too small oh! Why not scale down the number of participants to be sponsored to say,..50, and increase the sum to 30k?

Not participating ooh! just a suggestion.
The sponsors objectives is to get as many people as possible and fire their interest in agriculture...10k can actually go a long way...it will sufficiently cater for hundred plants of cucumber! that's tangible for a starter that will now own a farm and possibly seek for expansion.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2016
kk4real:

My 2cents advice avoid Govt officials like a plague when you can, deal with them when only absolutely neccessary. MOST of them are after selfish interests, they have no one's interest at heart. All they want is to score cheap political points. It's very rare to see Govt officials who have vision and their constituents interest's at heart.
The sponsor needs their involvement in other to ground the program. In Nigeria, we always manage to find new ways to hurt ourselves!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 10:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Just a month and some few days....

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by vanpeele: 11:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
organicfoods:
Just a month and some few days....

Beautiful...4 per sack too? and did you buy the net or hand made?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:22am On Apr 13, 2016
vanpeele:

Beautiful...4 per sack too? and did you buy the net or hand made?
The net was hand made. Actually three per sack.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by chiomilisa(f): 5:09am On Apr 14, 2016
organicfoods:
@ organic foods, pls give me your number. I need murano seed urgently, please. This is mine 08071521717 incase tank you
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 6:56am On Apr 14, 2016
organicfoods:

Do try out few butternut squash with sack, let see how it goes. That is 2 seeds of butternut squash grown within a 4 by 4 space.

There is also Michael who grows his strawberry in sacks, his farm is just off Nairobi and my cousin's "personal person". cheesy

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:17am On Apr 14, 2016
Pavore9:

Do try out few butternut squash with sack, let see how it goes. That is 2 seeds of butternut squash grown within a 4 by 4 space.

There is also Michael who grows his strawberry in sacks, his farm is just off Nairobi and my cousin's "personal person". cheesy
I have a summer squash seeds already to plant.. I am only wondering if cross pollination won't occur with the cucumbers. Also ordered strawberry seeds from Aliexpress... Like taking forever to arrive.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 7:30am On Apr 14, 2016
organicfoods:
I have a summer squash seeds already to plant.. I am only wondering if cross pollination won't occur with the cucumbers. Also ordered strawberry seeds from Aliexpress... Like taking forever to arrive.

Why not try it out a different location and also do experiment where you will have both to know if it would cross pollinate then you can be certain.
What is the germination rate of the seeds and what is the variety? I would have preferred seedlings.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 10:41am On Apr 14, 2016
Pavore9:

Why not try it out a different location and also do experiment where you will have both to know if it would cross pollinate then you can be certain.
What is the germination rate of the seeds and what is the variety? I would have preferred seedlings.
I will definitely do as you suggest. The variety was marketed as red giant.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 10:39am On Apr 15, 2016
chiomilisa:
@ organic foods, pls give me your number. I need murano seed urgently, please. This is mine 08071521717 incase tank you
Murano 2 F1 is not in stock as of now, I Got 50grams for 6,500 the last time I bought...08034342637.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by vanpeele: 9:34pm On May 15, 2016
organicfoods:
Murano 2 F1 is not in stock as of now, I Got 50grams for 6,500 the last time I bought...08034342637.

I'm thinking by now you must've been harvesting the sackers...
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 12:45am On May 16, 2016
vanpeele:

I'm thinking by now you must've been harvesting the sackers...
Yes ooo. Enough harvest. Been a bit busy lately, will upload some pics and videos soon.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by vanpeele: 5:19am On May 16, 2016
organicfoods:
Yes ooo. Enough harvest. Been a bit busy lately, will upload some pics and videos soon.

Please do. We may learn one or two things from your experience.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by leelat: 7:24am On May 16, 2016
organicfoods:
I can count close to a hundred plants..So far so good with Technisem seeds...

NB: I didn't sow all the seeds. I gave some to my farmer friends at Okeho when I went visiting... They were glad to see me, so I parted with the remaining seeds knowing fully well that I gave them what they will love.

Will be uploading pix soon.

Meanwhile I visited Ilero recently to see how our soy bean organic farms were doing and got this valuable information for you. If you are interested in growing cashew and needs free land then visit Ilero... Oyo state government has a moribund cashew tree growing project there where you can access free land owned by the government.
Is this opportunity still available sir? I have interest. If still available kindly help sir.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 9:12am On May 16, 2016
organicfoods:

Do open a new thread and upload the pictures of the present cucumber farm, so we can go through the pictorial journey with the time lines from the time you were setting up the sacks to you holding the bountiful harvest. It will communicate change to many minds.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 9:27am On May 16, 2016
leelat:

Is this opportunity still available sir? I have interest. If still available kindly help sir.
I will seek the necessary information for you.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 9:34am On May 16, 2016
Pavore9:

Do open a new thread and upload the pictures of the present cucumber farm, so we can go through the pictorial journey with the time lines from the time you were setting up the sacks to you holding the bountiful harvest. It will communicate change to many minds.
Will do that!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 9:48am On May 16, 2016
organicfoods:
Will do that!

Do mention me when you do.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by leelat: 7:36pm On May 16, 2016
organicfoods:
I will seek the necessary information for you.
Thank you sir, I appreciate. I'm expecting the reply.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:13am On May 27, 2016
One of the few threads on Nairaland I had to read from the beginning to the end with utmost concentration n without skimming.... I'm wowed and have learnt a lot from you guys pavore and organicfoods. Please I have some questions- i) I was hearing organic this n that, isn't there an alternative to the earthworms breeding? ii) want to experiment t with students in a school, please how long will t take from planting to harvesting because I want a situation where they'll plant and harvest it with a term iii) d school doesn't have a farmland though they have spaces (all with concrete floor though) hence d idea of vertical farming.... Will the concrete flooring of the compound have any adverse effect? iv) those bags you guys r using r really big, because I want a small bag where the students will be able to monitor t n work on t themselves, how feasible is that? v) which plants will u recommend cos I want to start d project with Basic 5 n 6 plus JS 1 n 2 students........ I know u guys have other things u r doing, so I'll appreciate if ull take out time to answer d questions even if it z one at a time.

Cc: Pavore.....
Cc: organicfoods
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by mimmmms(f): 4:07pm On May 29, 2016
A term is like 3months dats 90days,i'll advise you plant cucumbers,why? Coz dere'll be a lot to teach dem dere,like how to stake,male and female flowers nd even how to hand pollinate incase u dnt have bees/butterflies around.. most cucumber varieities start fruiting on/before 40days, concerning the bags I fink cement bags are ok

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 11:48pm On May 29, 2016
Yampotatocarrot:
One of the few threads on Nairaland I had to read from the beginning to the end with utmost concentration n without skimming.... I'm wowed and have learnt a lot from you guys pavore and organicfoods. Please I have some questions- i) I was hearing organic this n that, isn't there an alternative to the earthworms breeding? ii) want to experiment t with students in a school, please how long will t take from planting to harvesting because I want a situation where they'll plant and harvest it with a term iii) d school doesn't have a farmland though they have spaces (all with concrete floor though) hence d idea of vertical farming.... Will the concrete flooring of the compound have any adverse effect? iv) those bags you guys r using r really big, because I want a small bag where the students will be able to monitor t n work on t themselves, how feasible is that? v) which plants will u recommend cos I want to start d project with Basic 5 n 6 plus JS 1 n 2 students........ I know u guys have other things u r doing, so I'll appreciate if ull take out time to answer d questions even if it z one at a time.

Cc: Pavore.....
Cc: organicfoods
I am really interested in your school project. Where is your location? Can you pm please... I will be more than glad to be of help, may be it will also help in kick starting my school gardening project.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Yampotatocarrot(m): 9:36pm On May 30, 2016
@Mimmmmmms, thanks a lot for your reply, though I'll still be needing lessons on how to "hand-polinate" when the time comes. Please what about tomatoes? I'm really grateful for your reply. @organicfoods, the school is located in Iyana-ipaja (mulero) area of Lagos. Dere r still a lot of logistics to b made, hence my enquiries so that I'll b passing d best information to d management who r more than willing to go ahead with d program. Will really appreciate your help when d time comes also.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by netx(m): 5:42pm On May 31, 2016
hello house, any farm located around meiran where I can learn farming. I do like to grow vegetables, tried growing pepper in a small container but hasn't showed any sign of life.

I'm ready to learn

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bolseas(f): 10:44am On Jun 26, 2016
Following.....
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 08, 2016
organicfoods:
The experiment so far. Meanwhile soloxam gave me some organic fertilizer to try... I will be using it on my lettuce nursery. It was lovely meeting you soloxam!

@ organicfoods. Great great job. New to nairaland but I've been following you and Pavore9. We need more people like you around. I noticed you planted tomatoes and peppers vertically as in on the sides of the sack. I didn't see a progress on that in the threads. I'm of the opinion that it would be better to plant the tomatoes and peppers atop the bag and trellis or cage them, as when the begin to bear fruit they will get to heavy and break off. and they won't do very well growing on the ground. I think there will also be too much crowding if grown on the sides, and crowding needs to be avoided to reduce or prevent disease.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria / See Snake I Found On My Farm While Harvesting Cassava / Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.