Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,111 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Could We Terraform The Sun? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Could We Terraform The Sun? (1368 Views)

Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. / 10 Facts About The Sun You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could We Terraform The Sun? by frankg1(m): 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2015
In the list of crazy hypothetical ideas, terraforming the sun has to be one of the top 10. So just how would someone go about doing terraforming our sun, a star, if they wanted to try? In our series on terraforming other worlds. We've covered Mars, Venus, the Moon and Jupiter. Even though I solved the problem of how to terraform Jupiter (you're welcome, science), you wanted to take things to the next level and you demanded I sort out how to terraform the sun . Seriously? The sun. Fine… here we go. Let's see what we've got to work with here. It's a massive ball of plasma, containing 333,000 times more mass than the Earth. It's about 74% hydrogen and 25% helium with a few other trace elements. There's no solid surface to stand on it, so we need to fix that. The average temperature on the surface of the sun is about 5,500 Celsius, while the average temperature on Earth is about 15 C. Iron boils at only 2,800 degrees, so… that's probably too hot. We'll need to cool it down. The gravity on the surface of the sun is 28 times the gravity of Earth. If you could stand on the surface of the sun, which you can't, you'd be crushed flat. Okay, so we'll add reduce the gravity… check. There's no breathable atmosphere, there's no solid ground, the sun generates deadly X-rays. Oh, and don't forget about the terrible sunburns from the ultraviolet radiation.
So, what's the list? Hot fire unbreathable pressure cooker goo surface gravity crushing machine. Sounds impossible, or does it? First, the gas. As we covered in a previous episode, scientists have actually considered ways that you might extract the hydrogen and helium off of a star like the sun, known as "stellar lifting". There are a few ways you could work this. You could zap the surface of the sun with a powerful laser, increasing the speed of solar wind in that area, forcing the sun to throw its mass off into space. Another method is to set up powerful magnetic fields around the sun's poles, and channel its hydrogen into jets that blast out into space. I'm not sure how you actually set up those magnetic fields, but that's not my problem. Once you're done with the sun, you've stripped away all its hydrogen and helium gas. What are you left with? About 5,600 times the mass of the Earth in heavier elements, like oxygen, silicon, gold, etc. Great! Except 5,600 sounds like a lot. Jupiter is only 316 times the mass of the Earth. We're looking to reform a "planet" with more than 10 times the mass of Jupiter. And not only that, but we had to kill the sun to make this work. You monsters. This is a terrible idea. What else could we do? If you're a science fiction fan, you've heard of a Dyson sphere. If not, you've got some TNG to catch up on. First proposed by Freeman Dyson, you cover an entire sun in a metal ball. Instead of the measly amount of energy that falls on Earth, this would allow you to capture 100% of the energy released by the sun: 384 yottawatts. According to Dyson and a variety of matheletes, you could dismantle all planets in the solar system and build a sphere at a distance of 1 Earth radii at 8 to 20 centimeters thick. That would give you a surface area 550 million times more than the Earth. Although, building an actual rigid sphere is probably unfeasible because it would be pretty unstable and eventually collapse. It probably makes more sense to build a swarm of satellites surrounding the sun, capturing its energy. Source:: Universe Today
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Dekatron(m): 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2015
grin

johnydon22, menesheh, robinhez, teempakguy, queed, hahn.

Food don done o

@ Op :- I think its actually cool & sound great. Creating magnetic field bla bla bla

i think how it is different from repelling force field is that in the latter, the field creates a like charge or something that repels the field in concern. Anybody to explain?
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by hahn(m): 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2015
Dekatron:
grin

johnydon22, menesheh, robinhez, teempakguy, queed, hahn.

Food don done o

@ Op :- I think its actually cool & sound great. Creating magnetic field bla bla bla

i think how it is different from repelling force field is that in the latter, the field creates a like charge or something that repels the field in concern. Anybody to explain?

Hmmm

What about terraforming Nigeria from third world to first world first?
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Dekatron(m): 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2015
hahn:

Hmmm

What about terraforming Nigeria from third world to first world first?

grin grin grin grin grin

seriously, YOU ARE ONE FUNNY MAN. Majority of your posts are always funny.

Yea, its true.

Example :-

I saw an expatriate today on my way to sch ( he works for KOPEK construction company) & he was inspecting some road construction works. Guess what? I SAW A POLICE MAN BEHIND HIM I felt a rage & was like :-

IF I RELOCATE TO EUROPE AS AN EXPAT., WOULD I BE GIVEN A SPECIAL ARMED POLICE? I immediately thought : its not their fault, its the image of Nigeria being tarnished. Its normal to feel insecure as an EXPAT. in Nigeria
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by hahn(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2015
Dekatron:

grin grin grin grin grin

seriously, YOU ARE ONE FUNNY MAN. Majority of your posts are always funny.

Yea, its true.

Example :-

I saw an expatriate today on my way to sch ( he works for KOPEK construction company) & he was inspecting some road construction works. Guess what? I SAW A POLICE MAN BEHIND HIM I felt a rage & was like :-

IF I RELOCATE TO EUROPE AS AN EXPAT., WOULD I BE GIVEN A SPECIAL ARMED POLICE? I immediately thought : its not their fault, its the image of Nigeria being tarnished. Its normal to feel insecure as an EXPAT. in Nigeria

And I was being very serious grin

As Nigerians, let's just focus on coming up with suggestions that will take us from the level we are to what it should be.

If we're really smart, we should be able to figure out how to pull our dear country from the black hole we're in at the moment.
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by frankg1(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2015
The posters above me are arts students
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 12, 2015
frankg1:
The posters above me are arts students
lolz. Dekatron is an engineer. cheesy

Anyway, I don't think we can ever Terra form the sun.

So, yeah. We should probably focus on terraforming Nigeria.
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Blakjewelry(m): 11:10pm On Sep 12, 2015
This sound like very very bad science to me. Terraforming a planet is possible if possible with aid of advance tech in future. But the sun? I think that is a bad idea, even if you eventually manage set up magnetic stuff on the sun how do you intend to force out the hydrogen against the sun Hugh gravity
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Dekatron(m): 10:54am On Sep 13, 2015
Thank you o jare, TEEMPAKGUY. I am an engineering student. The stuffs I do are not in ANY WAY related to these.

Its all I read when I was not yet a university student that I am recollecting.

So, don't blame me o

grin grin grin
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 13, 2015
Dekatron:
Thank you o jare, TEEMPAKGUY. I am an engineering student. The stuffs I do are not in ANY WAY related to these.

Its all I read when I was not yet a university student that I am recollecting.

So, don't blame me o

grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Blakjewelry:
This sound like very very bad science to me. Terraforming a planet is possible if possible with aid of advance tech in future. But the sun? I think that is a bad idea, even if you eventually manage set up magnetic stuff on the sun how do you intend to force out the hydrogen against the sun Hugh gravity
not only that sef. Terraforming the sun requires stripping it of it's fuel, essentially causing it to expand. It will turn into a red giant and scorch the earth. undecided
Trust me, a magnetic field would be the least of our problems.

There are thousands of planets out there. Why the sun? undecided
Talk about ungrateful. grin grin
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by aragon4realz(m): 5:13pm On Sep 13, 2015
you watch too much TV or should I say too much sci fi movies
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by frankg1(m): 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2015
aragon4realz:
you watch too much TV or should I say too much sci fi movies

Dont b sceptical. Everytin is possible
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by aragon4realz(m): 6:57am On Nov 18, 2015
frankg1:

Dont b sceptical. Everytin is possible

Teraforming is just an imaginary word,just like seeing flying cars in a movies...
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by Angelou(m): 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
when i saw the thread topic, i thought another psycho has broke into nairaland once again. cheesy I can say it is practically impossible to terraform, it's just like saying you want to build a tunnel between two wormholes grin.. It seems you are exposed to loads of fictitous movies and literature OP
Re: Could We Terraform The Sun? by mrphysics(m): 3:25pm On Nov 18, 2015
the problem I hav with such topics like dis one z dat d op or d people reacting to d op has little or no knowledge abt astronomy,, dsame problem I had with people on NASA 15 DAYS OF darkness. now to d topic. oga op, u can not approach d surface of d sun neither can u set up a magnetic field around t! why? because, magnetic field on d surface of d sun z very strong. cud u imagine dat even while d distance of d sun to d earth is 8 light minutes, yet we still notice d magnetic field of d sun compressing d earths magnetosphere, to d extent dat they was a day d earth had no magnetic field. d sun constantly eject lots of materials into d space, most of which our magnetic field push to d north causing Aurora in dat region. Eva heard of solar storm? solar flare? suns magnetic field? u r yet to understand what God did on earth dat has been protecting us. I just read what u hav posted and just like people hav commented, u need to stop d sun from burning before u talk abt any other thing which z nt possible. [red] let me educate u a little, d earth, d sun, d moon and d asteroid all hav same origin, just dat it z believed dat during d formation of d sun it ignited even to d surface and dat is why it z believed dat someday, it will burn its material finish and retire to a white dwarf. still reminding u of d fact dat even d interior of d earth z burning heavily. it is also believed dat d earth and d moon r d same just dat during a time, a particular heavy object hit d earth and split it. sir, just like u hav earthquakes on earth, so we hav sunquakes, more dangerous dan d earthquake. stop daydreaming. let me hear from u. Tnks bro for ur thoughts and idea thus far [/red]

(1) (Reply)

How To Transfer Voice Memos From Iphone To Mac / Outlook PST Repair Tool / Five Of The Best Locations For Home Security Cameras< CCTV INSTALLATION >

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.