Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant (5204 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Rogo: 10:32am On Apr 08, 2009
FELLOW NAIRALANDER LET CONSIDER THE ABOVE TOPIC "IS MARRIAGE A CONTRACT OR COVENANT" YOUR REPLY OR CONTRIBUTION IS VITA

BE RIGHT BACK
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by chrishenzo: 2:48pm On Apr 08, 2009
The moment you start believing that marriage is a contract, you are not far away from the home of divorce. See marriage as a covenant and you will enjoy it to its fullest.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by prittigrrr(f): 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2009
Marriage is both contract and covenant. It is a contract from the worldly side in that there is a freewill agreement between the parties. However, it is covenant because it is a supernatural, everlasting, agreement between the parties and sanctioned and governed by God.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Passie(m): 2:42pm On Apr 09, 2009
A contract will have to have a defined completion/expiry date. Well, If it is a christain marriage, i think it is a covenant. when you took those oaths in your church during marriage, that's when it became a covenant.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by parislomo(f): 3:10pm On Apr 09, 2009
wow, impressive responses so far! cool wink
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by ijawgirl: 4:13pm On Apr 09, 2009
both!
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 09, 2009
If one continues to see marraige as a contract, then what's stopping him from breaking it? undecided

Passie:

A contract will have to have a defined completion/expiry date. Well, If it is a christain marriage, i think it is a covenant. when you took those oaths in your church during marriage, that's when it became a covenant.
Exactly wink
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by tope2000(f): 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2009
Its both but nowadays it is mostly contract lipsrsealed
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by omon31: 4:20pm On Apr 09, 2009
marriage is a convenant between those involved because it is ordained by God. but for those that argue that it is not a contract because of the tendency to divorce, or that it has an expiry date i will say that the bible allows divorce on the basis of infidelity.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Coleslove: 4:51pm On Apr 09, 2009
ijaw_girl:

both!
Yes, i guess that could be an answer to that. However, it soley depends on the views of prospective partners while taking the step of "Marriage". In my opinion, i see nothing bad in clearly stating your marriage agenda within yourselves so as to avoid assumptions. I guess some might want it to be a covenant based on the facts of their religious credence and some others see it as a contract based on what they intend to achieve with their union. Most importantly both have their advantages and disadvantages equally. But i think i would prefer the contract type of it. I can withstand their effects.

Adios Amigos
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by oluite(f): 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2009
Ideally,marriage is as a covenant.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by congoshine(m): 7:22pm On Apr 09, 2009
Its a contract between a d*ck and a p*ssy to penetrate each other & not go in or receive another but can also be considered a convenant between 2 souls . . . . . . .
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by AmAlone: 8:11pm On Apr 09, 2009
Mariage is An Institution where a man loses is bachelor degree and the woman gains her masters.  grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by AmAlone: 8:26pm On Apr 09, 2009
Confusion in marriage started from he.
Imediately he finish eating the fruit and 'G' cursed him he went along blaming her.
and she think he initially has his own choice to say No so the retaliate.

So as he and she pass their blessing to us
the Curse they passed as well. . .

which blessings them pass on us? I wonder undecided
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by luvinhubby(m): 8:36pm On Apr 09, 2009
Contract and covenant both means the same, binding agreement, depends on ones perspective as regards to being a christian or not.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by prittigrrr(f): 8:39pm On Apr 09, 2009
I see many are showing revulsion at the term "contract" in describing marriage.  All a contract is, is an agreement between 2 parties.  There is an OFFER and an acceptance and there is consideration.  A promise for a promise.  A contract can be perpetual in nature and can be eternal.  There is no need for a time limit.  Covenant is a contract term.  There are covenants that must be performed in order for there to be a contract. A covenant is a binding condition to a contract.  In the biblical sense, we know that a blood covenant is unbreakable.  A blood covenant, like what God gave to Abraham, bound God to perform.  All these terms are interrelated.  That is why I say that there are elements of both contract and covenant in a proper marriage.  Now, how people act and how they remove themselves from marriage are another topic.  Just because they were eternally bound by the covenant and contract, yet sought to be loosed on this side by divorce, does not mean that they will not have to pay for the breach for the contract or for violating the covenant in eternity.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by factbox(f): 11:06pm On Apr 09, 2009
cool cool cool cool.marriage is simply a contract,nowadays pple get married because they are ageing fast and need to start raising kids with little or no love.gbam
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by sammyzacks(m): 11:25pm On Apr 09, 2009
contract annd covenant refer to the same thing.
in both cases as along as the terms are not broken, marriage is valid.
if you want you marriage to work, see it as a choice. A choice to love someone for who they are, so that even when the vows are broken you will still choose to stay with your partner. if you decide to truely love then nothing can come against your marriage.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by toomuch2: 12:18am On Apr 10, 2009
sammyzacks:

if you want you marriage to work, see it as a choice. A choice to love someone for who they are, so that even when the vows are broken you will still choose to stay with your partner. if you decide to truely love then nothing can come against your marriage.

Your write-up really makes a lot of sense though. All I can say is "God give me strength to be able to endure"
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by topup: 2:59am On Apr 10, 2009
A covenant, since you're not supposed to break it, whilst a contract, there are loopoles (if that's how you spell it).

(But like a contract, there is always the small print that everyone forgets to read before marriage saying; "This is not easy."wink
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Joseph6(m): 3:16am On Apr 10, 2009
, i think the small print reads 'she's and ex-hooker','he's a wife-beater'
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Sissy3(f): 9:23am On Apr 10, 2009
tope2000:

Its both but nowadays it is mostly contract lipsrsealed

exactly!
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by sinaayo(f): 9:30am On Apr 10, 2009
is convenant ,and god has a reason 4 it,that is why d bible say let a woman live her parent and build a family, but nowadays will ave turn it to a contract.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 10, 2009
Marriage is both a covenant(a formal agreement) & a contract (legally binding agreement) between a man and a woman for a life time, if they choose to make it work.

God's original intent is for marriage to last for a lifetime, but the divorce option approved by Moses, was as a result of the hardness of men's heart.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by prittigrrr(f): 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2009
@ sammy: You are so right! I say all the time that love is a choice. You decide who you love and how much you love them.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by emiemi(f): 1:57pm On Apr 10, 2009
sammyzacks:

true, but hard in reality because of the human nature
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by NeroPapas(m): 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2009
Nice topic. Pls I need help on how to post topics on this luvly site. Anyone with a way out could pls help!

Back to the main issue, marriage is a covenant ordained by God but it's unfortunate today that it's more of contract. Our women have managed to change the main reason for marriage and we men have foolishly concur to this ungodly act. And because the vision of marriage is not there, the marriage collapse before it's started.

We all need to repent, change our ways and start seeing marriage as something honorable that needs to enjoyed not endured.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by ifyalways(f): 3:46pm On Apr 10, 2009
Contract or convenant ,it works both ways . . .as long as both parties keep to the rules. tongue
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by GeorgeD1(m): 3:55pm On Apr 10, 2009
It's supposed to be a covenant but these days it's seen more like a contract. No wonder
we more divorce than ever in history.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by emiemi(f): 5:07pm On Apr 10, 2009
NeroPapas:

Nice topic. Pls I need help on how to post topics on this luvly site. Anyone with a way out could pls help!

Back to the main issue, marriage is a covenant ordained by God but it's unfortunate today that it's more of contract. Our women have managed to change the main reason for marriage and we men have foolishly concur to this ungodly act. And because the vision of marriage is not there, the marriage collapse before it's started.

We all need to repent, change our ways and start seeing marriage as something honorable that needs to enjoyed not endured.

Go to the home page, select any of the discussion groups (under which your topic falls), you'll find NEW topic tab on the top right corner.
Re: Is Marriage A Contract Or Covenant by erico2k2(m): 6:56pm On Apr 10, 2009
nah wah, I just noticed that there are more women responding here than the Men, guys Una no wan marry eh
for me the answer is %40 %60
%60 FOR CONVINIENCE/CONTRACT
%40 FOR CONVENANT/LOVE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Single Mother Of 1 I Married Is Actually A Mother Of 4 / 12 Year-old Conjoined Twins Bound At The Waist Wish Never To Be Separated(photos / MY Brothers Beat Up My Husband!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.