Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss (1308 Views)

I Pray Nigeria Oil Dries Up, Says Governor Nasiru El-rufai / President Buhari Appoints New Management For Nigeria Export-Import (NEXIM) Bank / ‎FINALLY!!!! APC Owns Up, Says, Our First Steps In Office Created Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Idrismusty97(m): 1:18am On Sep 13, 2015
The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Nigerian Export Import Bank, Mr. Roberts Orya, on Saturday said he wants Nigeria’s oil to dry up.

According to him, until the country’s crude oil dries up, Nigeria may not harness the resources in other sectors of the economy.

This, the NEXIM bank boss said, was why he decided not to finance investors in the oil sector, stressing that the industry contributed less to the nation’s gross domestic product when compared to what the real sector contributes.

Orya spoke to journalists on the sidelines of an event organised by Lonadek tagged, ‘Business Talk in Summer,’ held in Abuja.

Asked to state why he said the country’s oil should dry up, Orya replied, “If we don’t have oil in this country, this country would have been a very great country. Why I said so is because, in the first place, it was what we got from agriculture that we used in exploring for oil in the 1960s.

“And when we got this oil, what were we supposed to do? We are supposed to have used the proceeds from it to develop agriculture and some other non oil sectors. But we have not done that. And because we get easy revenue from oil, Nigerians have become very lazy; we’ve become consumers. Nobody is into production because oil is easy.

“If oil dries up, because of the potentials we have in the non- oil sectors, there will be considerable changes. How many Nigerians are employed or involved in the oil sector despite the fact that 95 per cent of our export revenues come from oil and 70 per cent makes up the revenue of the government?”

He argued that revenue from the oil sector should have been used to develop the non-oil sectors, stressing that the non- oil industry determines the rate of growth in the economy, not oil.

“What is the percentage of the oil sector to our GDP now?” he asked.

He also said, “But if we have used that money to develop agriculture, manufacturing, solid minerals and others, then we would have boosted our GDP. Right now we say we have identified 34 solid minerals in commercial quantities, but as we are standing here, the solid minerals sector is contributing less than one per cent to the GDP. In fact, it is actually 0.9 per cent. What does that tells us?

“It tells us that we have trillions of Naira that are inside the ground and nobody is looking at it because we have easy revenue from oil. So that is why I say if oil should dry up in this economy, Nigeria is going to be better for it because of the huge potentials we have in other sectors.”

On how his bank was helping in improving the non-oil sector, he said, “That is why I don’t touch oil. In my financing I don’t touch oil. I am only concerned with non-oil export. I’m talking about financing the manufacturing sector, agro-processing, etc. I want a situation where I will stop financing raw agricultural commodities to other countries.

“Let us add value, let us create jobs here, because when I
finance raw agricultural commodities, I’m exporting jobs and opportunities to other countries, but I am not doing that.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/nigerias-oil-should-dry-up-says-nexim-boss/

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Idrismusty97(m): 1:35am On Sep 13, 2015
“If we don’t have oil in this country, this country would have been a very great country. Why I said so is because, in the first place, it was what we got from agriculture that we used in exploring for oil in the 1960s.
“And when we got this oil, what were we supposed to do? We are supposed to have used the proceeds from it to develop agriculture and some other non oil sectors. But we have not done that. And because we get easy revenue from oil, Nigerians have become very lazy; we’ve become consumers. Nobody is into production because oil is easy.
So far, In just 100days! Buhari has proven he is in the right track concerning our solid minerals and Agriculture. You should have told this to Jonathan Mr Robert orya.

AfDB: Buhari sends Atiku to President Zuma to lobby for Minister Adesina
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/182357-afdb-buhari-sends-atiku-to-president-zuma-to-lobby-for-minister-adesina.html

GMB Pleads For Adesina To Be ADB President
https://www.naij.com/425708-gmb-pleads-for-adesina-to-be-adb-president.html

Boosting revenue and employment with solid minerals development
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/boosting-revenue-and-employment-with-solid-minerals-development/

Diversifying Our Economy: Buhari is On the Clock, By Oluseun Onigbinde
http://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=168277

Mining Sector Key To Employment Creation – Buhari
http://www.informationng.com/2015/08/mining-sector-key-to-employment-creation-buhari.html

Economic diversification: FG positions agric, solid minerals
to replace oil
http://www.peoplesdailyng.com/economic-diversification-fg-positions-agric-solid-minerals-to-replace-oil/

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Truckpusher(m): 1:48am On Sep 13, 2015
I can't just help but respond when iidiots erroneously say that we used proceeds from Agriculture to explore oil even as it is very clear that as the time agriculture was holding sway Nigeria was practicing regionalism which ensures that everything gotten from your region was used up for your region contributing only a small percentage as tax to the FG to keep the military afloat and be able to defend our borders.

When the northern region had their groundnut pyramid , the Western region had their cocoa farms which was one of the major cash crop all over the world and the Eastern region which is today's Niger Delta and South East had rubber, Palm kernel and coal. So, where did these parasites in this modern Nigeria got this idea that agriculture was used possibly from the North to run the entire country and you still have a high level of human development indices ?
Prior to amalgamation no region lived off another region and why can't we be like that in a 21st century Nigeria?
Nigeria has no choice than to diversify the economy like Jonathan was doing before he left else we are in problem.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Truckpusher(m): 2:00am On Sep 13, 2015
If Agricultural proceeds was used to explore oil as erroneously being presented by this guy and happily being quoted by Idrismusty97 to defend the North's elite over dependence on oil , how come that most of the multi-nationals oil companies has a sharing ratio formulae of 40 to 60 with the Nigerian govt getting a lion share and that would even happen after the multi-nationals have removed their total overhead cost for the project design,construction and commissioning and sometimes the Nigerian govt can't even pay for the operational costs of these installations which only happened during GEJ's time little wonder they yanked him off quietly and the only man that tried that was Muritala Mohamed though his own case was akin to biting the finger that fed him - this is another story for another day.
Idrismusty97 or whatever you call yourself - stop quoting falsehood .

Nigeria only awards oil prospective lease ( OPL) to companies and do not contribute one naira until the oil is flowing out and we pay from there until God knows when and maybe when they are done screwing all the alhaji who see themselves as sole custodian of the black gold in the Niger Delta man's backyard.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by OVI75(m): 2:09am On Sep 13, 2015
make buhari no hear you oo.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by ibkgab001: 3:33am On Sep 13, 2015
His brain too should Dried off
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Demmocrats(m): 4:37am On Sep 13, 2015
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by ElekeNtioba: 5:17am On Sep 13, 2015
If oil dries off, Nigeria would cease to exist. There would be no incentive for the North to be in a union with Niger Delta.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by kkkp: 5:56am On Sep 13, 2015
Truckpusher:
I can't just help but respond when iidiots erroneously say that we used proceeds from Agriculture to explore oil even as it is very clear that as the time agriculture was holding sway Nigeria was practicing regionalism which ensures that everything gotten from your region was used up for your region contributing only a small percentage as tax to the FG to keep the military afloat and be able to defend our borders.

When the northern region had their groundnut pyramid , the Western region had their cocoa farms which was one of the major cash crop all over the world and the Eastern region which is today's Niger Delta and South East had rubber, Palm kernel and coal. So, where did these parasites in this modern Nigeria got this idea that agriculture was used possibly from the North to run the entire country and you still have a high level of human development indices ?
Prior to amalgamation no region lived off another region and why can't we be like that in a 21st century Nigeria?
Nigeria has no choice than to diversify the economy like Jonathan was doing before he left else we are in problem.
how old are u?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Kastonkastroll(m): 6:28am On Sep 13, 2015
OK AIT might be a PDP propaganda TV station, but there is this 11:00am program I never miss(money show, the only program I watch on the propaganda station). The other day, one man who was invited on the show said oil is a curse to Nigeria and he was so happy about the fall in price of crude oil in the international market. The man said all the problems we are facing today in Nigeria can to be traced to oil and he was absolutely right.

• The people shouting marginalization today is because the want to have their own share of the national cake.

• boko haram was created because some people thought they have been marginalized.

• The ones threatening the FG that if due attention is not given to them, they will pick up arms is all because of the curse black gold

• The religion sentiment, ethnic chauvinism, greed and avarice in Nigeria today is because of the oil.

• Those shouting Biafra Are doing solely so because of the oil.

• The corruption, laziness in Nigeria was because of the oil

The black gold has done more harm than good to Nigeria. How far will the curse black gold take us as a nation? well only time can tell.

Drops pen*

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:45am On Sep 13, 2015
kkkp:
how old are u?
What a foolish question from a parasite who still believes that money from agriculture developed the oil sector.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by EasternLionn: 6:52am On Sep 13, 2015
Then you all bastard parasites leave it, take the money you have stolen already and go developed your onions and tomatoes.
Foolish parasites.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by Idrismusty97(m): 7:20am On Sep 13, 2015
cc: lalasticlala Seun Obinoscopy
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by omenka(m): 7:29am On Sep 13, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
OK AIT might be a PDP propaganda TV station, but there is this 11:00am program I never miss(money show, the only program I watch on the propaganda station). The other day, one man who was invited on the show said oil is a curse to Nigeria and he was so happy about the fall in price of crude oil in the international market. The man said all the problems we are facing today in Nigeria can to be traced to oil and he was absolutely right.

• The people shouting marginalization today is because the want to have their own share of the national cake.

• boko haram was created because some people thought they have been marginalized.

• The ones threatening the FG that if due attention is not given to them, they will pick up arms is all because of the curse black gold

• The religion sentiment, ethnic chauvinism, greed and avarice in Nigeria today is because of the oil.

• Those shouting Biafra Are doing solely so because of the oil.

• The corruption, laziness in Nigeria was because of the oil

The black gold has done more harm than good to Nigeria. How far will the curse black gold take us as a nation? well only time can tell.

Drops pen*
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by shizzy7(f): 7:45am On Sep 13, 2015
I Support you Nexim
let it dry up
Wondering where we will be today if we didn't have the Black Gold....

I'm happy that the price is coming Down, it shouldn't come Up

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by kkkp: 8:27am On Sep 13, 2015
BekeeBuAgbara:
What a foolish question from a parasite who still believes that money from agriculture developed the oil sector.
mumu na your papa build am
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by cybertyrant(m): 8:38am On Sep 13, 2015
Let that mans sperm dry up ,in yeesu's name AMEN
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Should Dry Up, Says NEXIM Boss by CSTR2: 8:41am On Sep 13, 2015
When some countries are fighting proxy wars to ensure continous inflow of crude oil and energy for their next generations yet unborn, someone somewhere in Nigeria who is supposed to be a leader is praying for Nigerian crude to dry up.
Which kind country be this?

(1) (Reply)

Tribalism Will Sink Nigeria If Nigeria Doesnt Sink Tribalism / REPORT | Ekweremadu Under Pressure To Confirm Amaechi In Saraki’s Absence / Iran Orders Oil Output Boost, Nigerian Economy Is In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.