Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,253 members, 7,864,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 04:09 PM

Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' (1270 Views)

Pastor Sunday Adelaja Attacks Pastor Adeboye for manipulating Scripture / 39 Ancient Wisdom Tips For Singles On Marriage By Dr. D.k. Olukoya / The Allegedly Corrupted Scripture? Questions For Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 2:55pm On Sep 13, 2015
A recent discovery of the world's oldest
Quran has "startling" implications for
Islam.
The fragments of the text were tested for age, revealing the words of Islam are at least 1,370 years old,according to The
British Broadcasting Corporation. More
specifically, though, experts believe the
text was written between A.D 568-645.

"They could well take us back to within a
few years of the actual founding of
Islam," David Thomas tells BBC. Thomas
is an Oxford University's professor of
Christianity and Islam. "According to
Muslim tradition, the Prophet
Muhammad received the revelations that form the (Quran,) the scripture of Islam, between the years 610 and 632, the year of his death."

Other scholars are reading between the
lines, establishing that the document
followed today was altered to fit the new Islamic agenda Muhammad founded.

"This gives more ground to what have
been peripheral views of the Quran's
genesis, like that Muhammad and his
early followers used a text that was
already in existence and shaped it to fit
their own political and theological
agenda, rather than Muhammad
receiving a revelation from heaven,"
Keith Small of Oxford's Bodleian Library
says.

The Muslim faith is built on five pillars,
according to PBS, one of which is the
declaration of faith, which claims, "There is no god but God and Muhammad is his messenger."

But how could God speak to Muhammad to write the Quran if the book predated the messenger?

"It destabilizes, to put it mildly, the idea
that we can know anything with certainty about how the (Quran) emerged—and that in turn has implications for the history of Muhammad and the Companions," Historian Tom Holland says.

Many blogs have challenged the Quran's authorship in the past, most of them decreeing the Muslim holy book was " Allah-inspired," much like the Christian Bible was God-inspired. But it is still widely believed that Allah's prophet, Muhammad, authored the words.
http://www.charismanews.com/world/51763-ancient-quran-discovery-suggests-muhammad-did-not-pen-islamic-scripture
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by auwal89(m): 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
u are not serious u thought that Quran is like bible that u alter,u can't memorise bible but Muslims memorises Quran and u can't add or deduct a single verse from it because u do memorise everything in it
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by tartar9(m): 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
sad sad sad sad
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2015
Ishilove,Lalasticlala
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2015
auwal89:
u are not serious u thought that Quran is like bible that u alter,u can't memorise bible but Muslims memorises Quran and u can't add or deduct a single verse from it because u do memorise everything in it
ok
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by mayorkyzo: 3:26pm On Sep 13, 2015
Just be careful o..if some jihadists sees this they would slit ya throat for doubting the authenticity of the koran... undecided

1 Like

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by vedaxcool(m): 3:59pm On Sep 13, 2015
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33436021

I will be back to expose the Evangelism by Lies expert.

This is the actual BBC post, I will be quoting relevant places only

Prof Thomas says the dating of the Birmingham folios would mean it was quite possible that the person who had written them would have been alive at the time of the Prophet Muhammad.

"The person who actually wrote it could well have known the Prophet Muhammad. He would have seen him probably, he would maybe have heard him preach. He may have known him personally - and that really is quite a thought to conjure with," he says.

The scholar in the above is clearly stating that the actual writing of the verse didn't predate Islam.

First-hand witness

Prof Thomas says that some of the passages of the Koran were written down on parchment, stone, palm leaves and the shoulder blades of camels - and a final version, collected in book form, was completed in about 650.

He says that "the parts of the Koran that are written on this parchment can, with a degree of confidence, be dated to less than two decades after Muhammad's death".

[size=18pt]"These portions must have been in a form that is very close to the form of the Koran read today, supporting the view that the text has undergone little or no alteration and that it can be dated to a point very close to the time it was believed to be revealed."
[/size]

We clearly read here that Professor is saying that there has been no alteration, and that the "oldest" text actuall was written less than 2 decades after the death of Prophet Muhammad pbuh

Source

Compare this with the op and you would conclude that lying is permitted and koshar for the op

Edited

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 4:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
vedaxcool:

actually, a muslim in nairaland was the first to open this topic.
https://www.nairaland.com/2566650/scientists-prove-worlds-oldest-quran

When I do some research , I found this.
I wish you goodluck in your research.

The link you paste was still saying the samething.
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
actually, a muslim in nairaland was the first to open this topic.
https://www.nairaland.com/2566650/scientists-prove-worlds-oldest-quran

When I do some research , I found this.
I wish you goodluck in your research.

The link you paste was still saying the samething.
i have refuted this on the same thread you gave, the op isnt a muslim(stop lying pa malvisguy) the test was 95.4% accurate, now how do you expect such test to tell the exact dating? undecided
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 6:17pm On Sep 13, 2015
lexiconkabir:
i have refuted this on the same thread you gave, the op isnt a muslim(stop lying pa malvisguy) the test was 95.4% accurate, now how do you expect such test to tell the exact dating? undecided
refute a fact ? How did you do that ?
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
refute a fact ? How did you do that ?
mr man, the test is 95.4%(not 100%), so you wont expect it to give the actual dating. even at that, the test was still very close! compare 568ad-645ad(95.4% from test) and 570ad-632ad(the real time the prophet lived)
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by vedaxcool(m): 7:57pm On Sep 13, 2015
Another liar bites the dust!
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 8:14pm On Sep 13, 2015
vedaxcool:

This is the actual BBC post, I will be quoting relevant places only

Prof Thomas says the dating of the Birmingham folios would mean it was quite possible that the person who had written them would have been alive at the time of the Prophet Muhammad.

"The person who actually wrote it could well have known the Prophet Muhammad. He would have seen him probably, he would maybe have heard him preach. He may have known him personally - and that really is quite a thought to conjure with," he says.

The scholar in the above is clearly stating that the actual writing of the verse didn't predate Islam.

First-hand witness

Prof Thomas says that some of the passages of the Koran were written down on parchment, stone, palm leaves and the shoulder blades of camels - and a final version, collected in book form, was completed in about 650.

He says that "the parts of the Koran that are written on this parchment can, with a degree of confidence, be dated to less than two decades after Muhammad's death".

[size=18pt]"These portions must have been in a form that is very close to the form of the Koran read today, supporting the view that the text has undergone little or no alteration and that it can be dated to a point very close to the time it was believed to be revealed."
[/size]

We clearly read here that Professor is saying that there has been no alteration, and that the "oldest" text actuall was written less than 2 decades after the death of Prophet Muhammad pbuh

Source

Compare this with the op and you would conclude that lying is permitted and koshar for the op

Edited
check the news , it on the news , this site is not a religion web >>> https://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/carbon-dating-suggests-worlds-oldest-koran-is-even-older-than-the-prophet-muhammad/

A copy of the Koran that may predate the
Prophet Muhammad could rewrite the
early history of Islam, scholars believe.
Scientists at the University of Oxford said
last month that carbon dating of a
fragment of the holy text held by a
Birmingham library suggested that it was
among the oldest in the world.
At the time the discovery was hailed as
confirmation that the Koran had
faithfully preserved the words passed on
by Muhammad for more than 1,350
years. Now, several historians think the
parchment appears to be so old that it
contradicts most accounts of the
Prophet’s life
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4542663.ece

http://m.digitaljournal.com/news/religion/carbon-dating-suggests-early-quran-is-older-than-muhammad/article/442550
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 8:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
vedaxcool:
Another liar bites the dust!
the source you provide is "old" news (22 July 2015)
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2015
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
the source you provide is "old" news (22 July 2015)
old news? so you believe those that wrote an article out of hearsay and you discard a credible source such as BBC that got their claim directly from the people that actually did the test? you must be a joker! since you termed what veda.xcool posted as "old" news, then the "new" news must have done another test. mr man you have nothing to say! undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by vedaxcool(m): 8:42pm On Sep 13, 2015
lexiconkabir:
old news? so you believe those that wrote an article out of hearsay and you discard a credible source such as BBC that got their claim directly from the people that actually did the test? you must be a joker! since you termed what veda.xcool posted as "old" news, then the "new" news must have done another test. mr man you have nothing to say! undecided

My brother you can't help but conclude that he choose the religion that fits his intellect!

1 Like

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by onetrack(m): 8:45pm On Sep 13, 2015
I have no religious interest in this (am atheist), only an academic one as I work in the field of history. This fragment of the Quran does not refute the role of Muhammad in the Quran. The scholars are only saying that the material on which the Quranic verses were written may be older than Muhammad. Even then, parchment being quite rare and expensive in those days, it could have been stored for a long time or re-used.

Unfortunately this article is being circulated among Christians who don't understand what this means. It's kind of like Muslims who keep circulating that tired old article about the Gospel of Barnabas which has been debunked repeatedly.
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Demmzy15(m): 9:46pm On Sep 13, 2015
onetrack:
I have no religious interest in this (am atheist), only an academic one as I work in the field of history. This fragment of the Quran does not refute the role of Muhammad in the Quran. The scholars are only saying that the material on which the Quranic verses were written may be older than Muhammad. Even then, parchment being quite rare and expensive in those days, it could have been stored for a long time or re-used.

Unfortunately this article is being circulated among Christians who don't understand what this means. It's kind of like Muslims who keep circulating that tired old article about the Gospel of Barnabas which has been debunked repeatedly.

Ok grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Demmzy15(m): 9:48pm On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
[s]check the news , it on the news , this site is not a religion web >>> https://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/carbon-dating-suggests-worlds-oldest-koran-is-even-older-than-the-prophet-muhammad/

A copy of the Koran that may predate the
Prophet Muhammad could rewrite the
early history of Islam, scholars believe.
Scientists at the University of Oxford said
last month that carbon dating of a
fragment of the holy text held by a
Birmingham library suggested that it was
among the oldest in the world.
At the time the discovery was hailed as
confirmation that the Koran had
faithfully preserved the words passed on
by Muhammad for more than 1,350
years. Now, several historians think the
parchment appears to be so old that it
contradicts most accounts of the
Prophet’s life
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4542663.ece

http://m.digitaljournal.com/news/religion/carbon-dating-suggests-early-quran-is-older-than-muhammad/article/442550[/s]
Ode!

1 Like

Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 13, 2015
vedaxcool:

My brother you can't help but conclude that he choose the religion that fits his intellect!
i dont blame him though, we just have to be grateful to Allah for making us be amongst the muslims, especially the ummah of Muhammad(p).
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by malvisguy212: 5:41am On Sep 14, 2015
lexiconkabir:
check the dates of the source I and vedacool provide.
Re: Ancient Quran Discovery Suggests Muhammad Did Not Pen Islamic 'scripture' by Nobody: 6:19am On Sep 14, 2015
malvisguy212:
check the dates of the source I and vedacool provide.
mr man its not about dates, my question to you is, was another test done other than the one we heard of before, that brought about your "new" news?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Shares Son's Funny Meme On Pastors' Children Making Mistakes / Why Did God Ask Moses To Make A Bronze Snake? / The Holy Prophet TB Joshua's Prophecy-correct In The Light Of The Spirit Realm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.