Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) (31172 Views)

Ozubulu Businessman Shot Dead On The Streets Of South Africa (Graphic Pics) / EFCC Arrests And Arraigns Akpaikpe Etim For Internet Fraud (Photo) / FRAUD: EFCC Busts $5.5m Corporate Scam (2) (3) (4)

Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Islie: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2015
Firm loses fortune in phoney deal

Outdoor giant Afromedia is battling to handle its most difficult brief ever — how to retrieve a fortune invested in a phoney deal.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is helping.

The anti-graft agency has arrested a Lagos businessman, Alhaji Mohammed Gobir, for allegedly defrauding the foremost outdoor advertising company of cash estimated to be N1.7 billion in various currencies.

Gobir was picked up at his Ikoyi home and put in detention.

A source in the commission said: “The mega heist allegedly fetched Gobir $3,500,000,   N514,457,151.87,   $2,102,740,  and 51,000 pounds sterling at various times.

“Gobir, a 55–year-old father of two, was picked up by EFCC operatives  early Saturday at his Ikoyi residence and is still being interrogated at the Lagos office of the anti-graft agency.

“The suspect allegedly defrauded the advertising company through a phoney investment deal.

“The suspect was allegedly introduced to Afromedia sometime in 2008 by their private placement consultants, Synergy Capital Advisory Limited, as a high networth investor who was willing to inject N1,000,000,000 into the company, through the acquisition of shares.

“Based on his touted pedigree as potential investor, Gobir cozy up to the management and in no time became chairman of the Business Development Committee of the board of directors of the company, a position which he later used to defraud the company.

“Having earned the trust of the company owners, Gobir started demanding large amounts of money, which he termed as business expenses to international consultants, Royal Exchange Burue in the United Kingdom in order to facilitate and secure investments from his bank in the UK, Natwest Bank London.

“The company gave Gobir  $1,000,000 in cash and paid for his travel expenses on a first class return ticket to UK where he would meet with the purported investors, which investigation later showed never existed nor were the meetings ever held.”

The commission said the fraud was uncovered when the group managing director of Afromedia followed Gobir to London on a business trip.

The source added: “On one good day after the suspect had collected several amounts of money and made several trips to the UK to meet with the purported investors, the group managing director of Afromedia accompanied him to the UK for another round of meeting ostensibly to close the deal.

“But as soon as they landed in the UK, Gobir made a telephone call in which his travel companion overheard him scream aloud, saying his assets were seized by UK anti-money laundering authorities.

“He even showed the GMD an email sent to him for the alleged seizure.

“The suspect confessed to  the MD of Afromedia that his money( $250,000,000) was seized by the British authorities five years earlier for alleged money laundering and that he was currently financially handicapped and he needed a bailout of $3,817,000 to get the European Union Money Laundering Waiver Certificate.

“The suspect later presented a “waiver certificate”, to the company and promised to pay them the monies he had collected.”

The Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren who confirmed the arrest, said investigation into the scam continued.

http://thenationonlineng.net/alleged-n1-7b-fraud-efcc-arrests-lagos-businessman/

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by yanabasee(m): 7:47am On Sep 14, 2015
He should be hang!

Imagine the figures and yet, we've got hundreds of thousands of million poor and deserted Nigerians living from hand to mouth and one castrated goat will just sit down and scam people and enrished himself alone.

Broz.... Lalasticlala I de hail oh!

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by ijustdey: 7:48am On Sep 14, 2015
1.7billion

that's a whole lot of money

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 14, 2015
See cash grin
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by LordaGuru: 8:30am On Sep 14, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmm.... This kind of people makes the hardworking and genuine people feel stupid..

Goodmorning Nairalanders.. Wish u all a blessed new week!

Some are even praising the idiot. This wanton generation; where is dignity of labour?! Those days when you derive joy and satisfaction eating from your sweat and hardwork...

I always appreciate hardworking guys, but what I have for hardworking girls is over the top bend-over-backward Love!!! This is why I encourage the girl in the pics below me. Talking about core support for women empowerment.

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by dave2meek(m): 8:30am On Sep 14, 2015
Wow see cashshockedshockedshocked
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by RichDad1(m): 8:30am On Sep 14, 2015
I'm here for the name.
I thought the Igbos are the only "Business" men in Nigeria?
See him face like Goblin own.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Welete(m): 8:31am On Sep 14, 2015
So as efcc caught him now...wat will happen to d money

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by mznuez(f): 8:31am On Sep 14, 2015
Make I come see this kind big money and efcc come catch me for what na??

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Atmmachine(m): 8:31am On Sep 14, 2015
Yellow Bar guy.

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by emmakvsaint(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
this is huge!
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by broxymall(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
visit my signature for your Timberland boot and watches
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by MrkenOkonkwo(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015

why is my land alaibo so underdeveloped?
that we squeeze our self inside young shall grow luxurious bus and run to Yoruba land for survival?

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Vock(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
This is what is we call hustling, albeit taken to another level.The matter will die a natural death and you won't hear anything about it again. Out of court settlement lo sure ju

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by januzaj(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
EFCC is back

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by free2ryhme: 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by kennyman2000(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
Hmmm.... This kind of people makes the hardworking and genuine people feel stupid..

Goodmorning Nairalanders.. Wish u all a blessed new week!

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Richie0974: 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
In scamming, nobody is left out....even PMB if he's not careful will be scammed...

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by klem93(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
Fraud here and there.... see his ugly face

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by free2ryhme: 8:32am On Sep 14, 2015
cry
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by 360ng: 8:33am On Sep 14, 2015
All this fraud cases don tire me o angry

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by kenbee(f): 8:33am On Sep 14, 2015
MrkenOkonkwo:
why is my land alaibo so underdeveloped?
that we squeeze our self inside young shall grow luxurious bus and run to Yoruba land for survival?

ONE CHIMPANZEE IS OUT OF CAGE HERE

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by mcfynest(m): 8:33am On Sep 14, 2015
Quality selfie stick with Bluetooth now available.

Compatible with all device.

Easy photo shot.

Different from the one you know in market. owo kekere, small money.

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by jbkomo(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
Come to think of it. Is afro media that rich? Media buying business is not as lucrative as that to invest 1.7 billion on somthing dat is not immdiately verifiable. I smell grass cutter here

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by veekid(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
orgeneme
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Sijo01(f): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
See him mark mark face. Probe them all.
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
AM tired of hearing on arrest every time.

I want to hear imprisoned very soon

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Bigdreams(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
I hope they get to the bottom of this.

Check my signature.
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Atlantian: 8:34am On Sep 14, 2015
He played them local.

Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by kamez(m): 8:35am On Sep 14, 2015
Chai omo see figures
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by MemphisDepay(m): 8:35am On Sep 14, 2015
I like the poster above me
Re: Alleged N1.7B Fraud: EFCC Arrests Lagos Businessman (Pictured) by Timoleon(m): 8:36am On Sep 14, 2015
i say na world we dey *craze world!*

Hadiza Salami: Missing Fountain University Student Found Unhurt / Boko Haram Kills Soldier In Adamawa After Trying To Invade Their Base. Photo / Mob Ties Cable Thieves To Transformer (photo)