Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,072 members, 7,835,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent (1284 Views)

My brother is driving me nut - How Should I Handle This Family Issue? / Women Are Asking My Husband Out On Whatsapp. How Do I Handle This? / Men, What Would You Do In This Situation? (snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by martyns303(m): 8:00am On Sep 14, 2015
I was abruptly awoken by the cry of a child, I opened my eyes without moving while trying to grasp consciousness of my environment. I managed to look through my window and saw my neighbor's son throwing a tantrum, this quickly reminded me that school has resumed.

David is a 5yr old primary 2 pupil, this kid cries every morning when he wants to go to school, but this time around things were a bit different not only was he crying but has become violent, he had thrown away his lunch box and unstuck his shirt. This kid is cool with me so I came out and try to calm him down, but he said he is tired of going to school, nothing I said could make him change his mind, and I am there like, just primary 2 and he is tired when he still have nothing less than 14yrs of education ahead of him.

His dad later came down and slapped him, yelling at him to immediately get into the car. When I looked at the mom I can see hopelessness in her eyes, and she have no idea on how to handle the situation, David is their first and only child for now. The kid had always cried each morning before being tricked or forced to go to school and we had hoped it is a phase he will later pass, but things are only getting worst.

Parents in the house, is this normal of children his age? And how best can the parents handle the situation beside having to beat and compel him to go to school

Lalasticlala
Royalroy
Cc: ishilove
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by abdulhadi101(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2015
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by RobinHez(m): 8:17am On Sep 14, 2015
Lol...

I remember how I would cry my head out anytime it was time for school...the whole street would gather like it was a carnival.

No song and joke wey dem no go use to make me go school...I'll follow them, but when I reach the gate of the school : Round 2 but even more louder this time.. grin
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by Haywhymido(m): 8:18am On Sep 14, 2015
Na wa o
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by babythug(f): 8:24am On Sep 14, 2015
The parents need to find out what goes on in the school.

Are they being taught with modern methods that kids should typically enjoy?

Is he being bullied?

Does he have friends?

What is his teacher like?

Worse still is there a possibility of him being molested while at school?

Also is he woken up *too early* to get ready for school?

What are his sleeping patterns like?

These questions if pondered on may help on figuring out why he doesn't enjoy going to school till now.

10 Likes

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by TMILewin: 8:26am On Sep 14, 2015
You cant help but ask questions like : what kind of school does he go to?
how friendly are the teachers?
how much of games and toys does he have at home?
Where are most of his friends?
Do they still bribe him to reach school?

I had a personal expreince of such my first son had similar attitude. On a particular day I visited him in school unannouced and realised that his teacher was a heartless lady. Demanded that he should be moved to the next arm and ever since you could see his eargerness to reach school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by delishpot: 8:28am On Sep 14, 2015
He is sending a message no one is listening. He is not comfortable in his class. A child who is happy in his class will never cry like that.
And how come a 5 yr old is in primary 2? His parents are pushing him too hard.
When my son exhibited that attitude I changed his school. He became happy, learnt faster and made good friends. That child needs help.

TMILewin:
You cant help but ask questions like : what kind of school does he go to?
how friendly are the teachers?
how much of games and toys does he have at home?
Where are most of his friends?
Do they still bribe him to reach school?
I had a personal expreince of such my first son had similar attitude. On a particular day I visited him in school unannouced and realised that his teacher was a heartless lady. Demanded that he should be moved to the next arm and ever since you could see his eargerness to reach school

My sons teacher was also terrible. She would bully him, prevent him from going to pee and he started peeing his pants. As soon as I noticed these I moved him from that school. Very terrible teacher she was

4 Likes

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by therealdeal10: 8:41am On Sep 14, 2015
D parents may av over pampered d little boy dats y e hates going 2 skull dis much

Or beta still d parents shuld put some fear in him not beating him cuz wen he's scared e wnt b told twice about going 2 skull, 4rm dere e wuld get used 2 it

1 Like

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by TMILewin: 8:48am On Sep 14, 2015
therealdeal10:
D parents may av over pampered d little boy dats y e hates going 2 skull dis much

Or beta still d parents shuld put some fear in him not beating him cuz wen he's scared e wnt b told twice about going 2 skull, 4rm dere e wuld get used 2 it

Impose fear into the little lad miss and gradually realise that he dosent want to spend time @ home and become unavoidably distant. That alone wouldn't allow him open up to you
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by rolled: 8:49am On Sep 14, 2015
Nigerians and the usuall crude way of doing things...

therealdeal10:

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by jazinogold(m): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2015
d boy wan go into bizness! angry

cos e c him uncle Wey go school n no job lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by therealdeal10: 9:11am On Sep 14, 2015
I didn't mean all dis kind of hard fear u put into kids i meant lyk if d boy dnt go 2 skull e wnt b gven wat e likes. Lyk using most of d tins e desires a lot lyk toys, playing futbal wit his mates etc in exchange of him willingly going 2 skull. E wuld definitely accept it bcus no kid wuld luv 2 b restricted 4rm playing futbal or playing wit their toys

I meant d fear of losing wat e likes bcus d parents r d ones providing it 4 him
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by tohphunmie(f): 9:23am On Sep 14, 2015
babythug:
The parents need to find out what goes on in the school.

Are they being taught with modern methods that kids should typically enjoy?

Is he being bullied?

Does he have friends?

What is his teacher like?

Worse still is there a possibility of him being molested while at school?

Also is he woken up *too early* to get ready for school?

What are his sleeping patterns like?

These questions if pondered on may help on figuring out why he doesn't enjoy going to school till now.
Yes, you said it all! I think how he's been treated at school matters cos my 3year old nephew is always happy to go to school.

1 Like

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by LordReed(m): 10:51am On Sep 14, 2015
delishpot:
My sons teacher was also terrible. She would bully him, prevent him from going to pee and he started peeing his pants. As soon as I noticed these I moved him from that school. Its was Deo Gratias garki 2 Abuja. Very terrible teacher she was

Did you attempt to have the teacher changed or least lay a complaint against her? I may just put Deo Gratias on my Blacklist.

1 Like

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by delishpot: 11:16am On Sep 14, 2015
LordReed:

Did you attempt to have the teacher changed or least lay a complaint against her? I may just put Deo Gratias on my Blacklist.

Unfortunately I did not. I was too busy to pursue it. I just moved him to a school close to where I work and ended it there. If not for the fact that the new school was more convinient for me as it was very close to my office, I would have complained and made sure he was placed in a different class. The owner of the school is a nice man, very open to parents worries and concerns. No need to blacklist the school, its just to be aware of how your child is copping and not to ignore his body language. I do not belive all the school teachers are like that. Though I spoke with her and she promised to change and said she realised her mistakes that I should give her a second chance. That was the major reason I did not raise dust. But alas my son was dammaged, he did not like going to the school and became a different little child. Started bed wetting, stuttering and became quiet a far cry from tne little bubbly boy I used to know. That was a major factor in my decission to change his school instead of changi g his class. He loved the new school, couldnt wait for day break so that he can get dressed and leave for school and before long was writing ABC and 123 something he never seemed to be able to grasp in his old school.
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by LordReed(m): 12:56pm On Sep 14, 2015
delishpot:

Unfortunately I did not. I was too busy to pursue it. I just moved him to a school close to where I work and ended it there. If not for the fact that the new school was more convinient for me as it was very close to my office, I would have complained and made sure he was placed in a different class. The owner of the school is a nice man, very open to parents worries and concerns. No need to blacklist the school, its just to be aware of how your child is copping and not to ignore his body language. I do not belive all the school teachers are like that. Though I spoke with her and she promised to change and said she realised her mistakes that I should give her a second chance. That was the major reason I did not raise dust. But alas my son was dammaged, he did not like going to the school and became a different little child. Started bed wetting, stuttering and became quiet a far cry from tne little bubbly boy I used to know. That was a major factor in my decission to change his school instead of changi g his class. He loved the new school, couldnt wait for day break so that he can get dressed and leave for school and before long was writing ABC and 123 something he never seemed to be able to grasp in his old school.

Thank God he recovered. I would never want the spirit of my children to be broken by whatever. I would not take it kindly with anyone who attempts it.

1 Like

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by delishpot: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2015
LordReed:

Thank God he recovered. I would never want the spirit of my children to be broken by whatever. I would not take it kindly with anyone who attempts it.

I thank God too.
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by DrObum(m): 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2015
When I read about/see adults hitting children for doing what their ages demand of them, I ask myself 'do you expect them to be so in love with school at that age'

Instead of trying to find out the little child's reasons and investigate around them, the man is just being a beast (though I presume it's ignorance)

Children have many reasons to hate school at that age, you should ask questions first!

Is the child being bullied at school

What's their teacher and the learning environment like

Even, check if the child has a penchant for sticking to same routines, this can help diagnose autism and then seek help early enough.

This also reminds me, parents that hit children for staying too close to the television should ask questions first! Cos some short sided children can be identified early enough from such habits.

SUMMARY: Children aren't adults and shouldn't be expected to behave like adults. Allow them learn and grow through their 'foolishness'!
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by Jennifer89(f): 2:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
martyns303 some kids don't want to go for no reason while some have reasons to cry whenever it's time for school. it could be because of his teacher or class mates i know of a kid who will cry to school every morning so one day his dad asked him why he doesn't want to go to school and the little boy said it's because his teacher always flog him.
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by raumdeuter: 4:25pm On Sep 14, 2015
I think they are pushing him too fast

5 yrs in Primary 2 and by the time he is 7 in Primary 4, they would want him to write common entrance into Secondary school and be 8yrs in JS1
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by Pidggin(f): 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2015
In my opinion this is an attachment problem. The boy may be overly attached to his mum. She should adjust her parenting style and be more firm with her son.
Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
Spoiled little bratty oldest (eldest?) male children

Ugh grin

1 Like

Re: How Would You Handle This Situation As A Parent by kennyman2000(m): 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2015
Delishot has said it all.. Yes, the boy isnt comfortable in that school hence they should change his school and observe the changes or progress thereafter.

Let me quickly make a reference to my nephew Whenever its time for him to go to school, he's always very happy, when he comes back and we're in the talking mood. He never forget to tell me how his day in school was, how he played with his friends, how his friends played with him, how his aunt taught them, who weewee in class etc. But, when its time for summer coaching, he had to get coached in another school cos of his teacher travel. Whenever he comes back from this other school summer coaching, he's always moody. I noticed that and get closer to him to ask whats wrong. Thats when he told me, he doesnt like that school. I asked him whats wrong. Here's his words ''is not interesting and no play like my former school'' i asked him the meaning of the word ''play'' cos he's not meant to play but study in school. He then said, nobody to make friends with as the pupils in his class seems to be unfriendly.

The teacher behaviour may as well be the cause..

They should change his school first. Who knows, that may be the solution.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Married Woman Wants To Do House Maid / Oldest Woman In Nigeria Dies Finally (pic) / Survey On Househelp Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.