Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC (8847 Views)

Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off / Give Me Reasons To Buy Mercedes Benz ML 320 / Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by kingreign(m): 12:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
PapiWata:

Hello Redcliff. My profession is not auto engineering, however I am very familiar with the power plants fitted into Mercedes Benz V8 cars that date back to the period often referred to as the Golden Age of Mercedes, namely from 1983 to 1998, when those cars were built from a purely engineering standpoint, and with no expense spared in the pursuit of performance, precision handling and raw power. Sadly that tradition of engineering is no more followed by Mercedes, as they churn out overly complicated and trouble-prone designs that fail often and early, for a variety of reasons relating to shoddy design hampered by cost-cutting imperatives dictated by accountants who routinely over-rule engineering recommendations.

I must correct a typographical error in my earlier response. The members of the W126 family of Mercedes fitted with V8 engines utilized the M117 engine, and not the later released M119 as I stated above. Specifically your 1988 Merc 500 SEC is powered by the M117.968 five-liter engine. The recommendation to replace the timing chain and upper plastic chain guides is still correct for the M117 motor, and you can expect to get an average of 6 years trouble-free motoring each time you replace the chain and its associated guides, assuming your commute averages about 10 thousand miles per year. Despite this small inconvenience, the M117 and M119 engines are widely regarded as THE most reliable and powerful engines EVER to roll of the Mercedes assembly line since the dawn of the automotive age.

Enjoy that SEC, brother man, and prepare to feed your need for speed at the helm of that that old-school road rocket.

This then is Trac. I conclude that this is trac, you don't need to argue it bro.. Only trac knows and speaks like this, trac knows Mercedes of the golden era like the back of his hands. Gee, denn, camaro, smartchoices, et al come rejoice with me, we've seen trac whom we've always missed on nairaland. Words can't express my feelings.

1 Like

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Bizibi(m): 7:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
Man!!! This is cool,this brand was rare to see then
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 01, 2016
I recommend 17 or 18 inch rims for safety considering road conditions
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
I only saw this car twice in my lifetime.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Denn(m): 10:18am On Jan 02, 2016
kingreign:

This then is Trac. I conclude that this is trac, you don't need to argue it bro.. Only trac knows and speaks like this, trac knows Mercedes of the golden era like the back of his hands. Gee, denn, camaro, smartchoices, et al come rejoice with me, we've seen trac whom we've always missed on nairaland. Words can't express my feelings.

Lol...
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 12:34am On Jan 19, 2016
Hi, is there anyone who has an idea of someone or a company either in europe or Nigeria that can customize a car dashboard? at least the middle part where the buttons are. I would like to see if a 7 inches dvd player can fit there while other buttons go down

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 4:21am On Jan 19, 2016
Originalsly:
I think it's a cool car....better when spruced up a bit...but I think to have like the 20" chrome rims is going wayyyy overboard. Not a mechanic. ...but I think with such rims you would be exceeding the weight of the wheels the car was designed to carry and that would cause stress the ball joints and other stuff in the ehmmm.....wheel assembly. Then with the skinny tires....you can expect a flat tire every day or two. But then again.....if attention is what rocks your boat...then go all out with your plans.

They sell light weight wheels and actually tires too.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by PapiWata: 11:51am On Jan 21, 2016
Well all right. RedCliff bust loose and picked up that 500 SEC.

You will see this understated hooligan on wheels, the 500SEC, come into its own on the open highway, where you will find yourself beginning to relish the process of teaching and educating fancy new car owners to accept that rock-solid stability, precise handling and brutal acceleration at speeds above 100 mph are NOT the preserve of those who went into debt and shelled out big bucks for a shiny brand new set of wheels.

If you were ever to get serious about eye-watering speed in a well maintained 500SEC on the highway, it would take an absolute suicidal maniac driving any other lesser car at full throttle, who hopes to keep pace with you, to keep you in visual range as they watch you cover distance faster than they imagined possible, specking out on the horizon ahead with your throttle still far short of full after-burner power.

While you may not have frequent use for high speed, it is nonetheless analogous to cash money relaxing in your pocket, in that it is better to have it and not need it, than not to drive a performance car, only to find yourself needing to flee banditos or kidnappers while at the wheel of some under-powered flashy car that will be forced of the road by pursuers, with ease.

To get the best out of your new steed, have a competent mechanic IMMEDIATELY replace the timing chain, those plastic upper timing chain guide rails, and, if need, replace the timing chain tensioner for good measure. To enjoy all the sublime engineering features that made the SEC run close to 100 grand USD to buy new back in its heyday, go ahead and have all the suspension and steering components checked and renewed as needed, before you set sail aboard this flagship Benz.

In case you are not already aware, BENZWORLD is the most heavily visited internet forum relating to ALL years of Mercedes.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 1:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
PapiWata:
Well all right. RedCliff bust loose and picked up that 500 SEC.

You will see this understated hooligan on wheels, the 500SEC, come into its own on the open highway, where you will find yourself beginning to relish the process of teaching and educating fancy new car owners to accept that rock-solid stability, precise handling and brutal acceleration at speeds above 100 mph are NOT the preserve of those who went into debt and shelled out big bucks for a shiny brand new set of wheels.

If you were ever to get serious about eye-watering speed in a well maintained 500SEC on the highway, it would take an absolute suicidal maniac driving any other lesser car at full throttle, who hopes to keep pace with you, to keep you in visual range as they watch you cover distance faster than they imagined possible, specking out on the horizon ahead with your throttle still far short of full after-burner power.

While you may not have frequent use for high speed, it is nonetheless analogous to cash money relaxing in your pocket, in that it is better to have it and not need it, than not to drive a performance car, only to find yourself needing to flee banditos or kidnappers while at the wheel of some under-powered flashy car that will be forced of the road by pursuers, with ease.

To get the best out of your new steed, have a competent mechanic IMMEDIATELY replace the timing chain, those plastic upper timing chain guide rails, and, if need, replace the timing chain tensioner for good measure. To enjoy all the sublime engineering features that made the SEC run close to 100 grand USD to buy new back in its heyday, go ahead and have all the suspension and steering components checked and renewed as needed, before you set sail aboard this flagship Benz.

In case you are not already aware, BENZWORLD is the most heavily visited internet forum relating to ALL years of Mercedes.

Thanks alot..all your points are duly noted. However, I am looking for a place where I can re construct the dashboard and have an in dash navigation system. I would go to any lengths to see it can be done.. which i know it can but maybe i am not searching the right places.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by PapiWata: 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2016
redcliff:

Thanks alot..all your points are duly noted. However, I am looking for a place where I can re construct the dashboard and have an in dash navigation system. I would go to any lengths to see it can be done.. which i know it can but maybe i am not searching the right places.

The after-market sat nav would be a nice modernizing touch for this classic W126 SEC. Looking at the dashboard, the location that stands out as being a possible place to install a flat screen display would the center console where all the air condition controls are located, BUT, if you remove the panel holding those controls, with the intention of using that space for the sat nav screen, you will need to find another spot for your air-condition control knobs, assuming you intend to try and get the car's air-conditioner working again, which is one very difficult, almost impossible task to complete with any lasting success, I found from extensive experience.

As a certified back-woods subsistence bushman whenever my travels land me in Nigeria, I never drive, or get driven in any city for any reason besides a furtive trip to and from the airport, so for me, air-conditioning along the open highway is accomplished simply by winding down the car windows, while repeating over and over to myself the following highly effective magic incantation : " Damn, it sure is cold in here."

1 Like

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by DaimlerBen(m): 2:04am On Apr 29, 2016
PapiWata:

Hello Redcliff. My profession is not auto engineering, however I am very familiar with the power plants fitted into Mercedes Benz V8 cars that date back to the period often referred to as the Golden Age of Mercedes, namely from 1983 to 1998, when those cars were built from a purely engineering standpoint, and with no expense spared in the pursuit of performance, precision handling and raw power. Sadly that tradition of engineering is no more followed by Mercedes, as they churn out overly complicated and trouble-prone designs that fail often and early, for a variety of reasons relating to shoddy design hampered by cost-cutting imperatives dictated by accountants who routinely over-rule engineering recommendations.

I must correct a typographical error in my earlier response. The members of the W126 family of Mercedes fitted with V8 engines utilized the M117 engine, and not the later released M119 as I stated above. Specifically your 1988 Merc 500 SEC is powered by the M117.968 five-liter engine. The recommendation to replace the timing chain and upper plastic chain guides is still correct for the M117 motor, and you can expect to get an average of 6 years trouble-free motoring each time you replace the chain and its associated guides, assuming your commute averages about 10 thousand miles per year. Despite this small inconvenience, the M117 and M119 engines are widely regarded as THE most reliable and powerful engines EVER to roll of the Mercedes assembly line since the dawn of the automotive age.

Enjoy that SEC, brother man, and prepare to feed your need for speed at the helm of that that old-school road rocket.
Can the M119 fit into the SEC? It seems to have received more accolades, with better power & efficiency than the M117. What 6-speed tranny can be paired with it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Clar Mist From My Windscreen While Driving Under The Rain / Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) / Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.