Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC (8846 Views)

Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off / Give Me Reasons To Buy Mercedes Benz ML 320 / Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 6:28am On Sep 15, 2015
8 cylinder.
dope arse interior.
Price: 10k euros..
thinking of changing it all black matte, fixing hallogen lamp, fitting bigger tires with gold plated rims, changing the mercedes logo to a led enabled one or just all gold chromes..

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 6:30am On Sep 15, 2015
To something like any of these two

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by kingreign(m): 6:36am On Sep 15, 2015
redcliff:
8 cylinder.
dope arse interior.
Price: 10k euros..
thinking of changing it all black matte, fixing hallogen lamp, fitting bigger tires with gold plated rims, changing the mercedes logo to a led enabled one or just all gold chromes..
To buy if and only if you could make her smile.

1 Like

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Denn(m): 10:03am On Sep 15, 2015
Oversized chrome wheels only point to one thing....a black man who wants to show off.

Get a Max of 16 inch wheels with enough rubber to bite the road. That car is for performance and not for a showroom.

I like your choice of merc... I won't mind getting one too...10,000 Euros? Why are good things so expensive these days?
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 10:54am On Sep 15, 2015
Denn:
Oversized chrome wheels only point to one thing....a black man who wants to show off.

Get a Max of 16 inch wheels with enough rubber to bite the road. That car is for performance and not for a showroom.

I like your choice of merc... I won't mind getting one too...10,000 Euros? Why are good things so expensive these days?

Well, these days cars serve two purposes. For the purpose which it was built and for show off. It would also not be a bad idea combining both together and please dont attribute big wheels to black people. Its just looks good on a car. look at the silver and black and tell me which of the tires you prefer the most?

1 Like

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by lonelydora: 12:13pm On Sep 15, 2015
Please but it and do the needful. I love your choice.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Denn(m): 3:37pm On Sep 15, 2015
redcliff:

Well, these days cars serve two purposes. For the purpose which it was built and for show off. It would also not be a bad idea combining both together and please dont attribute big wheels to black people. Its just looks good on a car. look at the silver and black and tell me which of the tires you prefer the most?

I prefer the tires that will ensure I am alive after every pot hole... Ever heard of donks?

Why should I show off?

1 Like

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 15, 2015
If I had the money I would get the ride and pump it to my taste. you would be driving a classic on wheels.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Originalsly: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2015
I think it's a cool car....better when spruced up a bit...but I think to have like the 20" chrome rims is going wayyyy overboard. Not a mechanic. ...but I think with such rims you would be exceeding the weight of the wheels the car was designed to carry and that would cause stress the ball joints and other stuff in the ehmmm.....wheel assembly. Then with the skinny tires....you can expect a flat tire every day or two. But then again.....if attention is what rocks your boat...then go all out with your plans.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2015
Originalsly:
I think it's a cool car....better when spruced up a bit...but I think to have like the 20" chrome rims is going wayyyy overboard. Not a mechanic. ...but I think with such rims you would be exceeding the weight of the wheels the car was designed to carry and that would cause stress the ball joints and other stuff in the ehmmm.....wheel assembly. Then with the skinny tires....you can expect a flat tire every day or two. But then again.....if attention is what rocks your boat...then go all out with your plans.

No not in the sense of a 20. Maybe an 18 or 19. But something to fill the spaces and raise the car well a bit. Im sure an 8cyclinder engine would not complain of this kind of load. Just saying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by DaimlerBen(m): 4:54am On Sep 16, 2015
I hope you wouldn't be planning on driving it beyond 50 km/hr, because a V8 with 19" wheels covered by rubber belts and raised high, is akin to The Hulk running with stiletto bathroom slippers!

3 Likes

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by brojero: 8:46pm On Sep 18, 2015
Good choice, the px seems high though. Must be close to concours condition for that price
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by cardoctor(m): 11:02am On Sep 19, 2015
Lovely classic Merc. I always wished to own one in its hey days.

Is this car Nigerian used?

Car-doctor
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 5:25pm On Sep 19, 2015
cardoctor:
Lovely classic Merc. I always wished to own one in its hey days.

Is this car Nigerian used?

Car-doctor

No not in any way nigeria used. I dont think its adviceable buying such from a nigerian and this is because folks would not know how to keep this car looking and performing its best all the time
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 5:26pm On Sep 19, 2015
brojero:
Good choice, the px seems high though. Must be close to concours condition for that price

What is concours?

Oh no. I dont think it is. Well cars are basically expensive in the part of europe I saw this one and people consider this a classic so it definitely should be expensive.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
redcliff:

What is concours?

Showroom condition.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by dljbd1(m): 8:01pm On Sep 19, 2015
Definitely following cheesy
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Chibzee2: 12:54am On Sep 20, 2015
You have my humble GO AHEAD.
But like the FTC said, you must be ready to treat her right.
Lovely classic. I like it.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 21, 2015
Denn:

Americans, arabs and europians love showing off even more than we do. Check youtube and search for "exotic cars of london", just too many videos to watch.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 21, 2015
Denn:

I prefer the tires that will ensure I am alive after every pot hole... Ever heard of donks?

Why should I show off?

Don't mind the Nigga, its your ride. Show-off if you want as far as you don't hurt anyone.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by billy187(m): 3:14pm On Sep 21, 2015
A Sec restore: now this is what I joined Nairaland for! I intended to do one earlier this year and document everything here; even found a specimen. Problem however is that the poor thing had been so kazeemized I had to sadly turn it down. It had a little carburrated engine scavenged from some car I couldn't even identify and the instrument dial was kaput. cry I've since put the money into other uses (read****replacement of my daily driver Ford Focus)

I did intend to restore to more stock form, however. I intended going for a deep blue like in your pictures with maybe some AMG rims + ash turn signals.

All the best in your project! wink
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 6:47am On Sep 22, 2015
billy187:
A Sec restore: now this is what I joined Nairaland for! I intended to do one earlier this year and document everything here; even found a specimen. Problem however is that the poor thing had been so kazeemized I had to sadly turn it down. It had a little carburrated engine scavenged from some car I couldn't even identify and the instrument dial was kaput. cry I've since put the money into other uses (read****replacement of my daily driver Ford Focus)

I did intend to restore to more stock form, however. I intended going for a deep blue like in your pictures with maybe some AMG rims + ash turn signals.

All the best in your project! wink

I dont think this is a restore. The car itself is in pristine condition. Just putting it to better taste..
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 6:59am On Sep 22, 2015
anyway, i and the dealer have been going bck nd forth about the price of this car and i cant get my eyes off it because i see it everyday on my way to and from work. grin. Its been sitting there a while and nobody wants to buy it. i have a price ceiling i can go fr this model and if he comes around il go for it. I saw a few others which are cheaper with about 2k euros but this one looks better.. I may go for those ones if this dealer refuses to sell to me.

Below are pictures of another which is 1100 cheaper. Not such s fan of padded cars especially those that dont have a sport look

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by billy187(m): 10:31am On Sep 22, 2015
redcliff:

I dont think this is a restore. The car itself is in pristine condition. Just putting it to better taste..

Quite true...Still very interested in what comes out! wink
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Denn(m): 11:45am On Dec 30, 2015
Hello redcliff

Did you finally buy?
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 12:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
Denn:
Hello redcliff

Did you finally buy?

Hi, Yes. But I am paying for it in 3 installments as agreed with the dealer.
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by Denn(m): 12:41pm On Dec 30, 2015
redcliff:

Hi, Yes. But I am paying for it in 3 installments as agreed with the dealer.

Great.

I on the lookout for one in 2016.

With AMG Body Kit

560 SEC

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 12:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
Denn:

Great.

I on the lookout for one in 2016.

With AMG Body Kit

560 SEC

Chei!!! If you have ideas to what you want to do with yours let me know. I am seriously contemplating what to do with mine now after checking some few i saw online..

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by PapiWata: 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
A Merc 500SEC on the open highway will easily and effortlessly outrun 99% of all other cars in existence today, be they new or old. That ultra reliable Mercedes M119 V8 engine is a frigging juggernaut when you punch the gas, and the SEC just loves sustained high speed over 100 mph, where it hunkers down, grips the asphalt like a wildcat, and whips right along with a ride so smooth that a watch maker could ply his trade unperturbed in the passenger seat.

NOTE : When you buy this car do NOT succumb to the temptation to drive it regularly until you have replaced the timing chain, and all the plastic the UPPER timing chain guides that are visible when the timing chain cover is opened. Failure to do this is courting disaster, as that engine is NOTORIOUS for snapping timing chains and breaking chain guides once they have been used for anything over 60 thousand miles since the last chain replacement.

With that timing chain replacement done, you may need to acquire some brake parts from Pelican Parts or Mercedes Parts Center in the US, possibly including the servo and brake master cylinder, to remove binding brakes from the list of things to worry about down the road. With those two well known precautions taken, you are in for an E-ticket ride in the SEC, I bullchit you not.

3 Likes

Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by redcliff: 9:47am On Dec 31, 2015
PapiWata:
A Merc 500SEC on the open highway will easily and effortlessly outrun 99% of all other cars in existence today, be they new or old. That ultra reliable Mercedes M119 V8 engine is a frigging juggernaut when you punch the gas, and the SEC just loves sustained high speed over 100 mph, where it hunkers down, grips the asphalt like a wildcat, and whips right along with a ride so smooth that a watch maker could ply his trade unperturbed in the passenger seat.

NOTE : When you buy this car do NOT succumb to the temptation to drive it regularly until you have replaced the timing chain, and all the plastic the UPPER timing chain guides that are visible when the timing chain cover is opened. Failure to do this is courting disaster, as that engine is NOTORIOUS for snapping timing chains and breaking chain guides ones they have been used for anything over 60 thousand miles since the last chain replacement.

With that timing chain replacement done, you may need to acquire some brake parts from Pelican Parts or Mercedes Parts Center in the US, possibly including the servo and brake master cylinder, to remove binding brakes from the list of things to worry about down the road. With those two well known precautions taken, you are in for an E-ticket ride in the SEC, I bullchit you not.

Are you aN auto technician?
Re: Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC by PapiWata: 12:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
redcliff:

Are you aN auto technician?

Hello Redcliff. My profession is not auto engineering, however I am very familiar with the power plants fitted into Mercedes Benz V8 cars that date back to the period often referred to as the Golden Age of Mercedes, namely from 1983 to 1998, when those cars were built from a purely engineering standpoint, and with no expense spared in the pursuit of performance, precision handling and raw power. Sadly that tradition of engineering is no more followed by Mercedes, as they churn out overly complicated and trouble-prone designs that fail often and early, for a variety of reasons relating to shoddy design hampered by cost-cutting imperatives dictated by accountants who routinely over-rule engineering recommendations.

I must correct a typographical error in my earlier response. The members of the W126 family of Mercedes fitted with V8 engines utilized the M117 engine, and not the later released M119 as I stated above. Specifically your 1988 Merc 500 SEC is powered by the M117.968 five-liter engine. The recommendation to replace the timing chain and upper plastic chain guides is still correct for the M117 motor, and you can expect to get an average of 6 years trouble-free motoring each time you replace the chain and its associated guides, assuming your commute averages about 10 thousand miles per year. Despite this small inconvenience, the M117 and M119 engines are widely regarded as THE most reliable and powerful engines EVER to roll of the Mercedes assembly line since the dawn of the automotive age.

Enjoy that SEC, brother man, and prepare to feed your need for speed at the helm of that that old-school road rocket.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Queries About Tinted Car Windows / How Do I Clar Mist From My Windscreen While Driving Under The Rain / Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.