Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,955 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) (3125 Views)

[SPOILERS ALERT] MARVELS Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D - Fan Thread / Game Of Thrones Discussion (Beware Of Spoilers) / The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 9:24pm On May 04, 2009
dakmanzero:

in short:

Nigerian scenes were cute but badly researched and mediocre. There are 'villagers' speaking igbo in Lagos, unable to understand english, and a 'diamond merchant' in a land that does not produce diamonds, at the top of a skyscraper filled with soldiers with red berets (nigerian army red berets, since when?!??!?!?!)

That was just nonsense. Other evidence of poor research: our Igbo villager sounding like some caveman saying the rock came 'from the sky' and other such nonsense. As if most Igbos in Lagos, literate or not, are not more likely to come up with a more practical or superstitious-christian explanation.

If they had just relocated the whole thing to Abakaliki and abandoned the skyscraper, instead making it a mansion surrounded with thug guards, it would have made a world of difference.

A weekend in Nigeria for research would have done wonders. Instead we get this crap.

On top of that. the movie itself was poorly researched and inaccurate. Anyone who knows anything about x-men will be able to tell you how much bullshit was shoveled into that movie story wise.

However, the xmen movies are less faithful to the comics than iron man, spiderman, the hulk, etc so we can forgive them. the 'replacement' story they came up with was nice, in my opinion, and the new heroic wolvie, though completely fake and an invention of hugh jackman, is a likeable and interesting character.

This is an empty rant!!

Just like the empty rant against themakers of slumdog millionaire by Indians in mumbai!! Rubbish!!

How many of your stupid home videos do research and reflect it in their movies? Tell us
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by FLGators1: 1:39am On May 05, 2009
@Plat

Ahh, I hate you grin grin grin
This movie is on my movie list.

I love The Xmen or sth correlating to it.

Am not reading any of the comments here before I watch it tongue tongue
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 3:38pm On May 05, 2009
@cabali

No it was not an empty rant.

Nigerian home movies do not have 300 plus million dollar budgets.

Neither do they have the kind of reach and influence that major hollywood blockbusters have. Call it dumb entertainment if you like, but many people's ideas are formed by what they see in movies.

The best movies do tons of research. The cast of DOUBT spent ages in the convents covered in the movie and the writer used his own experiences as a child to inspire the story. Much research was done for hotel rwanda, black hawk down and blood diamond and much care taken to ensure they didnt misrepresent the facts.

Even The Kingdom had the cast and crew spending a long time in Saudi Arabia despite the real dangers they would face in that region.

The makers of Valkyrie actually shot some scenes at the same locations that they took place in back in world war 2. A cowriting credit is given to a respected historian who has access to the actual documents that detail the real events behind operation valkyrie.

Even slumdog millionaire's screenwriter spent several weeks in Mumbai and bangalore, travelling around India and actually recruiting real slum dog kids who could not speak English for the roles.

All the movies above took liberties in the name of entertainment, changing stuff here and there, which is acceptable, but the makers of X-Men apparently did NO research AT ALL. Just copypaste from popular movies set in the same CONTINENT not even in the same region.

To their credit:

1) special effects company used real footage of Lagos from the air for the aircraft approach scene
2) real skyline was used as a backdrop for the UTTERLY FAKE AND ILL-RESEARCHED 'lagosian village'
3) the language chosen was a Nigerian language, thank God, but COMPLETELY and totally inappropriate and stupid.
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 8:10pm On May 05, 2009
it is known that movies in Holywood are make believe. Most movies set at various locations are not even shot in those locations and have different set pieces that are contrary to reality. I have seen a movie set for Florida that stage a monument only seen in Baltimore. It happens all the time and it is just taken as one of those things that come with the industry.

The people dont go around asking for the movie makers to be tied to the stakes and shot!! It is easy to make excuses for the LAME nollywood that we are forced to bear but I assure you, give the producers the cash and they will still spool rubbish.

Slumdog screen writters spent several weeks in mumbai and the mumbai indigenes called for a boycot of the movie cos it did not give a true picture of mumbai and even the slum in mumbai so what are you talking abt??

Even if the shot in badagry, y'all will still front so allow us a breather pls
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 9:12pm On May 05, 2009
Don't try to trivialise the issue with your sweeping generalizations.

If they did their research they would be able to recreate Lagos in bangladesh.

The fact remains that what they did was utter rubbish, completely cheap and amateurish, and the movie deserves any flak it gets for it.

The slumdog comparision is moot. They got the setting perfectly. Those complaining were complaining about the portrayals- and the screenwriter purposefully misrepresented reality in that case just to prove a point and shock his audience. For the wrong reasons, yes, but not for lack of research.

In this case, they were not trying to prove anything. Just being lazy and insipid.

Even in comic books they do more research. For gods sake I once read a marvel comic that featured Sango and several authentic yoruba gods and godesses. Research is nothing more than high quality art.

As for Nollywood, they remain so poor exactly because people like u let them get away with all sorts of rubbish. If people would just stop watching movies that inslt the intelligence, the producers would make better stuff. To the producer its all about the money. If he knows he will lose money by getting a white guy with a polish accent to play someone from britain, he will go the extra mile with casting.

If he thinks his viewers are all brainless cretins, then we get the nonsene 'spooled' from Nollywood on a regular basis today.
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 8:55am On May 06, 2009
Yeah, while you are very happy with ur nollywood and ur messed up excuses for them, wolverine is on top of the box office chat with over $85m its first week even after it was reported highly pirated abt a month before release.

Just because they include the story in Lagos you are going to get all insane. How abt the movie Bruce willis did in Nigeria (supposedly) was there any real portray??

I am sure if they had a better representation of lagos, you would have said it is not realistic to have mutants in lagos

I advise you to remember the movie is what it is, a movie. NOTHING is supposed to be real cos it is NOT a real life story. It is a story of mutants (fiction) NOTHING in this fiction is SUPPOSED to be real cos the entire movie is abt something that doesnt exist.

IT IS FICTION not a real life story. Help urself before u get medical issues  grin
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 9:17am On May 06, 2009
Wolvie opening with 85m is a huge dissapointment considering its pedigree. It should do much more, as an x-men movie. Nonetheless it is passable. I am not criticising the whole film, just the Lagos section.

I am not defending Nollywood. Read my post please. I said Nollywood will spool crap when freaking idiots are happy to keep forking over cash for their poorly researched drivel. As long as people exist who have the kind of standards you are advocating, we will continue to see shit like this and the next X-men film will show your native tribe kept in cages and used as slaves by a white nigerian tribe called 'ubuntu'.

Bruce willis movie was an extreme case of this sort of shit.

Also please read before replying. I said THE STORY IS FICTIONAL BUT THE SETTING IS NOT. If the setting was Wakanda (fictional african nation in the fictional world of marvel comics) we would give them a free pass.

EVEN THEN they should still research the comics to portray wakanda properly! Its just high quality art, for people with standards.
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 9:21am On May 06, 2009
Story and set go together GAWWWWWWDD!! where are u from.

Next thing you are going to be looking for sesame street on the world map!!! Jeeeeeze whatch ur health man u might have lost it!
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 9:24am On May 06, 2009
dakmanzero:

As long as people exist who have the kind of standards you are advocating, we will continue to see shit like this and the next X-men film will show your native tribe kept in cages and used as slaves by a white nigerian tribe called 'ubuntu'.

And who gives a Bleep what a movie portrays nigeria as. 80% of nollywood portrays nigeria as diabolic, wicked revengeful and all that. But no, u wont see that. You will go to wolverine to get the speck off their eyes with the log in urs.

BTW the man who portayed the head of the gang in lagos is actually a Nigerian! I expect you to castrate him too!
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 10:30am On May 06, 2009
You mean everyone's favourite Ike Dubaku? He's south-african, dude.Grew up there, he's from there. Get your facts straight before running your mouth- but of course you wont do that since you advocate ignorance and stupidity.

And as for who gives a f&ck what anyone portrays Nigeria as, the answer is: Obviously not you.
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 11:11am On May 06, 2009
If u so feel strongly abt how u are potrayed, why have u not attacked nollywood? U have already started using strong words when I didnt even do that. You cant start it with me so forget it.

Ur movie industry kills your tribe everyweek u say nothing and just when a set for a fiction movie is not built exactly like the streets of lagos u loose ur mind and mental health.

Have u yet seen sesame street on the world map? is it built exactly as the real one? that might just give u something to self-service on! (thats if u actually know it is fictitious)
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 12:54pm On May 06, 2009
ok we have heard

you are right

make we rest

if we shout too loudly the red berets will come into our village and shoot us for our diamonds
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by cabali(m): 1:28pm On May 06, 2009
Yes and the safest place for you is sesame street or even Gotham city!! since you must believe everything in movies and TV
Re: Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) by dakmanzero(m): 1:39pm On May 06, 2009
haaaaaaa

see lack of research in action

why would i want to hide on sesame street when it is populated by BIG BIRDS and COOKIE MONSTERs?!?!??!?

or gotham city with the lowest life expectancy in the dc universe.

i can see u dont have my interests at heart. in fact u must be a blood diamond trafficker

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who's Your Favourite Character From The NARUTO Series, And Why? / Collection Of The Most Bizarre Movies Ever Made! / Clear Your DSTV Error Code Using The DSTV Self-service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.