Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (552380 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 12:20pm On Aug 02, 2016
jamsey:
Sorry what is pm...
Lol. Don't ask what lol means too. I'll Send you one now. Check ur email. #PersonalMessage
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by jamsey(m): 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2016
olujastro:

Lol. Don't ask what lol means too.
I'll Send you one now. Check ur email. #PersonalMessage
Lol..sorry was out my mind..not in good mood
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by jamsey(m): 3:25pm On Aug 02, 2016
olujastro:

Lol. Don't ask what lol means too.
I'll Send you one now. Check ur email. #PersonalMessage
Please send me ur watssapp number on my email...jamsey4luv@yahoo.com. So dat we can have a good chat
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by jojokings: 11:06am On Aug 09, 2016
Hello pls I have 2.70 GPA in business Administration, an I want to apply for any less competitive course in Norway university , like in transport or logistics, pls which course and school do u think will consider me with lesser and more flexible admition requirement
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by PrinceEvolution(m): 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
SO TRUE I ALSO SPENT 5MOTHNS IN 2014 I CONCUR TOTALLY WITH YOU..
Chikobi:
Hi Earthling, I spent about 3 months in oslo in 2008. Your contact with Nigerians depends on where u live. There are a lot of Nigerians living in the central part of oslo around Storgata but you will have to shine your eyes because they come in different forms if u know what i mean. The resentment you mentioned is partly as a result of the prostitution controversy sometime in 2007 which involved Nigerian girls. But generally speaking, most Norwegians can be very accomodating especially when they know you are actively engaged in something positive like work, business etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Luce: 10:10am On Aug 14, 2016
Thank you @olujastro .. Will check that out.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by malaoluolateju: 12:00am On Aug 20, 2016
Good day guys, does who have landed in Norway should kindly share their experience with us, before they get busy with school work.
Meanwhile, can any one pls confirm if USN requires English tests from Nigerians?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 8:10am On Aug 20, 2016
malaoluolateju:
Good day guys, does who have landed in Norway should kindly share their experience with us, before they get busy with school work.
Meanwhile, can any one pls confirm if USN requires English tests from Nigerians?
Well, it's been nice over here since I landed on the 8th Aug. Much calmer and organised kind of life compared to the chaos I lived with in lagos. The school system is on point, transportation on point, everything is made easy for you here but u must follow the rules and do away the usual Nigerian habit of cutting corners.
For the weather, it's kind of cold for summer, as low as 9-19'c in Stavanger. But you'll definitely adapt. 11'c with rain and high winds greeted me at Stavanger airport and it wasn't pleasant on my body even with Jacket. But after a few days, I go out with just t-shirt.
Things are very expensive here, at first you'll be converting to naira and screaming at the prices. But you'll get used to it over time.
As you know, the Oil industry is still asleep worldwide for now, so we can only hope prices pick up soon which in turn opens up the job Market.
USN still requires English testing, Either IELTS or TOEFL.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by malaoluolateju: 8:48am On Aug 20, 2016
olujastro:

Well, it's been nice over here since I landed on the 8th Aug. Much calmer and organised kind of life compared to the chaos I lived with in lagos. The school system is on point, transportation on point, everything is made easy for you here but u must follow the rules and do away the usual Nigerian habit of cutting corners.
For the weather, it's kind of cold for summer, as low as 9-19'c in Stavanger. But you'll definitely adapt. 11'c with rain and high winds greeted me at Stavanger airport and it wasn't pleasant on my body even with Jacket. But after a few days, I go out with just t-shirt.
Things are very expensive here, at first you'll be converting to naira and screaming at the prices. But you'll get used to it over time.
As you know, the Oil industry is still asleep worldwide for now, so we can only hope prices pick up soon which in turn opens the job Market.

Nice one olujastro. Hopw u will always find time to cone here. Dont disappear like some ooo! . Wish u all the best. Enjoy.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 9:15am On Aug 20, 2016
malaoluolateju:

Nice one olujastro. Hopw u will always find time to cone here. Dont disappear like some ooo! . Wish u all the best. Enjoy.
Well, I can't guarantee you that. As I've learned, studying in Norway is a different ball game entirely, to get excellent grades demands much study and less fun, unlike what you'll find in the UK where almost every one graduates with distinction. Little wonder people "disappear" especially if they work while studying.
My lectures begin on Monday, which means less fun henceforth.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 10:29am On Aug 20, 2016
To earn an "A" ....you gotta score 90 and above. Wish you all the best Olu my man and to all others. Gods GRACE!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by lobito007(m): 10:53am On Aug 20, 2016
rinzylee:
To earn an "A" ....you gotta score 90 and above. Wish you all the best Olu my man and to all others. Gods GRACE!!!!
My! So Norway operates the same difficulty level as Germany. Their way of making you pay for the free education. How saddist of these European Institutions! Little wonder we never hear of Nigerians doing exploits and breaking records in these countries. After my MS, na to port to US or Canada straight go flex with better job that will pay me good money for the rigorousity of the academics.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by malaoluolateju: 11:05am On Aug 20, 2016
lobito007:

My! So Norway operates the same difficulty level as Germany. Their way of making you pay for the free education. How saddist of these European Institutions! Little wonder we never hear of Nigerians doing exploits and breaking records in these countries. After my MS, na to port to US or Canada straight go flex with better job that will pay me good money for the rigorousity of the academics.

Well I don't blame them ooo!. Enjoying top quality education for free should come at a cost.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 11:41am On Aug 20, 2016
lobito007:

You are a True son of your Father .... Oya collect 5!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 11:52pm On Aug 21, 2016
lobito007:

What a lot of people don't grasp is that Norwegians are actually paying for every foreign student enrolled to a university through tax. So generally speaking you're getting your education paid for by the Norwegian people. High requirements are a small price to pay for that kind of hospitality (unsure if your post is sarcasm though).

Neither the US or Canada offers the same opportunities as the nordic countries do. You can live a pretty good life even with the measliest of jobs; you can't do that in the US. Although I think Nigeria generally needs a bigger educated workforce - it's a shame to see every one fleeing the country to never come back and help her grow.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by realone2012: 2:29pm On Aug 22, 2016
olujastro:

As you know, the Oil industry is still asleep worldwide for now, so we can only hope prices pick up soon which in turn opens up the job Market.

Bro, please. I would love to apply to a University in Norway For my Masters. Please, I need one or more infos from you. Thank you very much!!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 7:56am On Aug 23, 2016
StarFlux:
What a lot of people don't grasp is that Norwegians are actually paying for every foreign student enrolled to a university through tax. So generally speaking you're getting your education paid for by the Norwegian people. High requirements are a small price to pay for that kind of hospitality (unsure if your post is sarcasm though).

Neither the US or Canada offers the same opportunities as the nordic countries do. You can live a pretty good life even with the measliest of jobs; you can't do that in the US. Although I think Nigeria generally needs a bigger educated workforce - it's a shame to see every one fleeing the country to never come back and help her grow.
Couldn't agree more!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Josh4wod: 12:35am On Aug 24, 2016
Hi guys, do schools in Norway accept WAEC for BSC? Do they teach BSC program in ENGLISH?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 9:28am On Aug 24, 2016
I think there's glory in researching a matter ! It's amazing how folks come and ask simple questions here whereas Google is a click away. Some of us read through this thread from page 1 till here and have also contributed. Let's engage our brains please.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Kj40: 8:59am On Aug 28, 2016
please house, is it possible to work while attending master program?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Kulex: 10:50am On Sep 10, 2016
I've lived in Tromsø, MSc in Tech and Safety at UIT for one month and it's been awesome. The weather isn't as treacherous as I expected given our closeness to the Arctic, but it's still summer anyway LOL.
Thanks to all those who took out time to contribute to this forum from page one till date. And I wish to support the suggestions of my colleagues that newcomers should read through all the pages of this thread and google information regarding their choice of institutions before asking specific questions. It's absurd to see guys asking questions that were already answered a few comments before. It doesn't show seriousness, which you can all agree with me is an essential recipe for success during the taxing period of residence permit application and studying afterwards.

However, to clarify some doubts , I got an evening job which could take care of my monthly bills after 2 weeks of arriving in Tromsø. I was quite lucky though. The average waiting period is 6 months. But I think a good relationship with old working/schooling Africans/Nigerians in your town of residence is your surest bet.

Goodluck folks!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Josh4wod: 8:48pm On Sep 11, 2016
embarassed
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by BeingGabriel: 2:14pm On Sep 15, 2016
Hello Kunle, can we talk via email?
Kulex:
I've lived in Tromsø, MSc in Tech and Safety at UIT for one month and it's been awesome. The weather isn't as treacherous as I expected given our closeness to the Arctic, but it's still summer anyway LOL.
Thanks to all those who took out time to contribute to this forum from page one till date. And I wish to support the suggestions of my colleagues that newcomers should read through all the pages of this thread and google information regarding their choice of institutions before asking specific questions. It's absurd to see guys asking questions that were already answered a few comments before. It doesn't show seriousness, which you can all agree with me is an essential recipe for success during the taxing period of residence permit application and studying afterwards.

However, to clarify some doubts , I got an evening job which could take care of my monthly bills after 2 weeks of arriving in Tromsø. I was quite lucky though. The average waiting period is 6 months. But I think a good relationship with old working/schooling Africans/Nigerians in your town of residence is your surest bet.

Goodluck folks!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bucky123(m): 12:05am On Sep 20, 2016
Good day,
I'm a Nigerian graduate hoping to do my MSc. in Physics at NTNU, Norway. The documentation of financing on the website says ' In your application for admission, you may document financing by means of a bank statement or a letter of confirmation from your sponsor. The amount per year (the minimum amount is currently NOK 103 950), must be stated in the letter. The letter must be in English, or come with an English translation. If applicable, the name of your sponser must also be stated in the letter.'

I want to know if I'll need to get my sponsor's statement of account or just a letter of confirmation will do.
Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bucky123(m): 12:06am On Sep 20, 2016
Good day,
I'm a Nigerian graduate hoping to do my MSc. in Physics at NTNU, Norway. The documentation of financing on the website says [b]' In your application for admission, you may document financing by means of a bank statement or a letter of confirmation from your sponsor. The amount per year (the minimum amount is currently NOK 103 950), must be stated in the letter. The letter must be in English, or come with an English translation. If applicable, the name of your sponser must also be stated in the letter.'

I want to know if I'll need to get my sponsor's statement of account or just a letter of confirmation will do.
Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bucky123(m): 12:11am On Sep 20, 2016
Good day,
I'm a Nigerian graduate hoping to do my MSc. in Physics at NTNU, Norway. The documentation of financing on the website says ' In your application for admission, you may document financing by means of a bank statement or a letter of confirmation from your sponsor. The amount per year (the minimum amount is currently NOK 103 950), must be stated in the letter. The letter must be in English, or come with an English translation. If applicable, the name of your sponser must also be stated in the letter.'

Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 7:44am On Sep 20, 2016
bucky123:
Good day,

Thanks
You can use both if you can get easily access to them.
For self-financing student, statement of account is compulsory. For sponsorship, if the sponsor can also give a statement of account, better.
My friend currently at NTNU used only letter of confirmation with letter head from his mother's company. But the mother had to explain why she didn't include the statement cos it's a company account I guess.
So just tell ur sponsor to give you both if possible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bucky123(m): 10:22am On Sep 20, 2016
Thank you very much olujastro
I might not be able to get access to my sponsor's statement of account at the point of application.
However, I have gotten a letter of confirmation from him although the letter is not printed on a letter head paper, would that be a problem.
Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 5:07pm On Sep 20, 2016
bucky123:
Thank you very much olujastro
I might not be able to get access to my sponsor's statement of account at the point of application.
However, I have gotten a letter of confirmation from him although the letter is not printed on a letter head paper, would that be a problem.
Thanks
It has to be Letter headed. Cos anyone can easily arrange a letter on his own claiming it's from his sponsor. So statement of account or letter with letter head. But to me, preferably statement of account.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by mantleguy(m): 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2016
olujastro:

It has to be Letter headed. Cos anyone can easily arrange a letter on his own claiming it's from his sponsor. So statement of account or letter with letter head. But to me, preferably statement of account.
Hey brother Olujastro. Hope u you enjoying ur study and stay in Norway.

Is the documentation of financing applicable for all schools in Norway? Are there schools that doesn't require it?

If one should documents financing with good funds in the bank statement doesn't that mean that person has a good chance of being considered for admission even with mediocre grades.

If one should documents financing by bank statement during admission application, does it mean one don't have to document financial capabilities again when applying for study permit?

To me it makes no sense to include documentation of financial capacity as an admission requirement if one is still gonna documents financing wen applying for visa.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by maestrojay(m): 7:37pm On Sep 24, 2016
Helo guys... this thread needs to start booming!!..For the hopefuls like me in #Team2017, its almost time for application, we need to start gathering documents
I have a few questions tho..
Applying to NTNU and NMBU, Msc, i have an uncle who resides in norway and he is ready to sponsor me, pls do i have to collect bank statement from him or wat shuld i collect from him to fit into that financing spot. Secondly i see that most schools use the soknadsweb for application, can anyone give us important points to note during application. And Finally the part that students from Nigeria should send hard copies of transcript and diplomas, for transcript(no problem) but for diplomas(which i think is certificate).. how can i send my original certificate(statement of result) to them?? Someone pls help us out.
I ackmowledge my questions are many, so any contribution will be much appreciated thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by maestrojay(m): 11:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
chizyraky:

I believe that you must have rounded up your nysc before most of these schools opens their application portal so I suggest u get ready to apply this year. Start checking most of them from September. Endeavour to get your transcript, BSc certificate(original) not statement of result and waec certificate ready.

Get the courses you wish and prepare your statement of purpose for them too before then.

Sorry, they do not accept Statement of Result?? Cos dats wat i have, originals are not yer ready

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.