Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? (19859 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable And Solutions To The Problem / Lets Talk!! Are Nigerian Politicians More Hardworking Than Nigerian Graduates? / Mis-representation Of Marketing (jobs)and Sales (jobs) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by SamAbims(m): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2015
Insightful so far... Thank you all for your comments (reasonable & unreasonable) more pls!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by omodayomi(f): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2015
laziness and fair of unknown. I prefer marketing to office job
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by princejenks(m): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2015
Look i have been there so i can tell you that marketing services or an intangible product is way harder than marketing physical goods or products. To answer ur question,many companies are exploiting school leavers who are desperately looking for a means of sustenance by offering them marketing jobs in which they pay them peanuts as commission without any other incentives except a promise to strike gold if they can meet some unrealistic targets and an opportunity to be their own boss with ego soothing names like marketing executive. Marketing is not for everybody so if you dont think you can do it,dont even bother cos if you do,you may end up not getting much from it as you will give up easily due to frustration.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by aameyah(f): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2015
You think its a joke that marketers especially bank workers develop high BP. High BP that they didn't have before starting the job.

There is no need explaining anything. You can try it yourself. Experience is the best teacher....

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by 7lives: 4:02pm On Sep 16, 2015
seglad2:
Marketing bringes more money for me. U na no jasi ease way marketing:
Marketing needs talent, not everybody can do it.
Even the ones who are trained for this profession some times avoid taking this jobs, i don't blame them 'cause marketing goes beyond training.
This is why those who have talent and training are the stars of the marketing profession.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 16, 2015
most nigerian graduates and companies misunderstand the concept of marketing. marketing is different from sales. most of the jobs u all mistake for marketing jobs are sales job. theres something called marketing philosophy which consists of production, product, selling, marketing, customer and social philosophies.
most of these companies adopt selling philosophy which makes them force sell products that even the consumers dont nid. the discouragement in the selling function is what makes people shy away from sales job. look it up online for more info on marketing. marketing is way beyond setting sales target. if ur company's products are not doing well in the market, its not aggressive sales that will save the company, other functions of marketing are there to help out.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 16, 2015
FTBOY:
marketing jobs would have u talking excessively, spending most of ur time under the sun as you try to convince people to patronize your product
thats sales job n nt marketing, av u asked ursef y is it that they use the word saleforce/sales team instead of marketing force!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by SamAbims(m): 4:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
NyscBobo:
People confuse Marketing with Sales.

What's the difference please
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by PublicAssurance: 4:09pm On Sep 16, 2015
[size=18pt]Marketing and Sales are different. Marketing Jobs are not bad but Sales jobs suck ass!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 16, 2015
Marketing is not easy in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by SamAbims(m): 4:13pm On Sep 16, 2015
SirToby:
This topic is for me. I'm an engineering graduate. Got a marketing offer from STANBIC IBTC but still contemplating whether I should go for it or not. Advise please.

Bro take it!!! For now,I must add.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by aameyah(f): 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2015
SirToby:
This topic is for me. I'm an engineering graduate. Got a marketing offer from STANBIC IBTC but still contemplating whether I should go for it or not. Advise please.

Well, Stanbic as a bank is OK. But I have to ask you. Were you offered the job as a staff or contract hire?

As a staff, you get your salary. Maybe 170k. You target might be like 150m for a start. Get ready for insults and humiliation should you default on your part of the bargain to bring in deposit. You also have to give out loans of like 20million. The customers MUST not default or you will be held responsible.
But as a contract staff, ypur target is more of sales. They might ask you to open 50 accounts every month. What you get is a stipend of like 30k but you can earn more based on what you bring to the table. E.g, let's say you get 20 million. You will get a commission of say 40k. Add it to your 30k stipend, that will give you 70k in a month.

You stop earning commission on your accounts when they are 6 months old. The accounts will be moved to the core marketers...

I hope with the few words above I have been able to convince and not confuse you on the path to choose.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by vivaobi: 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Lol.
Doctors applying for marketting positions in a microfinance bank? Lol.
You're really high on cheap weed.
Next time, when you dont know what to type, read the comments from intelligent folks and please move on.

its true because I know a law graduate that is a marketer in a bank
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by SamAbims(m): 4:18pm On Sep 16, 2015
omodayomi:
laziness and fair of unknown. I prefer marketing to office job

Me too
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by SonOfTheLion(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2015
ajiffat237:
how sure are you
from my signature u can tell that am catching fun while doing my job. i will make ur gf/wife feel special by selling one of my products to you to present to her as a gift. try me.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by molas02: 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2015
b"cus If within 100 days in office Buhari has crippled
Nigerian economy more than ever it means that
before the end of his tenure it would have died
completely. If within 100 days in office thousands
of workers in the private sector especially banks
are loosing their jobs because their employers can no longer afford to pay them as a result of poor
economy, it means that before the end of four
years, there would be no private sector again in
Nigeria. If within 100 days Buhari has brought
more hate and division among tribes and religions
in Nigeria, it means that Nigeria's cooperate existence may be mostly threatened under his
watch. If within 100 days in office Buhari has
started denying his campaign promises, it means he
is not ready to do anything in the next four years.
The beginning of every race is very important
because it determines the end of it. Sentiment apart, Goodluck Jonathan did much to develop the
economy to the extent that Nigerian economy was
rated the fasted growing one in Africa. He did much
to develop the private sector which led to massive
employment. He preached and worked for the
unity of the country by respecting federal character and the constitution. He kept his promises without
discriminating against tribe and religion. And so
with the above reasons and more, my take is that
Jonathan stands taller than Buhari.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by timothybet2(m): 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2015
Good day everyone, here is our won ticket from weekend fixed matches, i congratulate those that subscribed and won with me, my next games are available for this weekend with an odd of 987 and 50 odds, for those who want to partake on my weekend games should call me or add me up on whatsapp with this number 080 6074 5109.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by KingTom(m): 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2015
MissSlimbody:
Yes
why?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Ups01(m): 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by shedracknweze(m): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2015
lazy graduates, only searching for office job and lack of understanding of what marketing is all about and how it works
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by MosakuAW(m): 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2015
SamAbims:
Very insightful
Thank you.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by GboyegaD(m): 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2015
Because our products are not unique and often times, they don't focus on the basic need of the consumers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by heywhya: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2015
Good news foryou. I know abt a multilevel marketing program that you don't need to sell any product. It just for you to refer at least two people. You are being paid per referal. You need to register with 6600naira. And after at most a month you have your money back and start enjoying the benefits of the program for life.

If you are interested you can contact me on haywhy.abe@gmail.com or WhatsApp/call 08063627649
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by MissSlimbody(f): 4:57pm On Sep 16, 2015
KingTom:
why?

I was interviewed for a marketing job (an on-line store) my job was to bring clients to sell on their platform. I was given a crazy target and the pay I was told would be 20k monthly and 1k on every customer I bring in. No provision for logistics.

I taught for one year in Boki (a primary school for that matter) and I know what teaching entails.

If given the options of teaching or marketing, I'll pick teaching.

The koko of the matter be say, I lost interest in marketing even before I left school.

Na so so story them just dey tell us for classgringrin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by KingTom(m): 4:59pm On Sep 16, 2015
MissSlimbody:

I was interviewed for a marketing job (an on-line store) my job was to bring clients to sell on their platform. I was given a crazy target and the pay I was told would be 20k monthly and 1k on every customer I bring in. No provision for logistics.

I taught for one year in Boki (a primary school for that matter) and I know what teaching entails.

If given the options of teaching or marketing, I'll pick teaching.

The koko of the matter be say, I lost interest in marketing even before I left school.

Na so so story them just dey tell us for classgringrin
Which day you go come calabar again? Make I give you marketing lessons grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Dee60: 5:00pm On Sep 16, 2015
Because more people prefer to sit down in AC, read newspapers till 10am, chat with fiends till 12 noon and go to lunch till 2pm. After lunch they start rounding up for the day.

Unknown to many, marketing paves a way for the future. You meet people, understand trade and commerce, and soon you are able to do something for yourself. Even as students, some have gone into marketing of shoes and clothes to their colleagues while in school. Ultimately, they are far better off.

Yes, some employers make life difficult for marketers, but that does not cut accross. Some marketing jobs are good and very rewarding, only for people who want to work hard. I would rather move around than ROT away under AC doing exactly nothing and wasting my brain!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Toks2008(m): 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2015
adconline:
Laziness and poor work ethics.. They want to get paid without adding value. Why are most students studying marketing in higher institutions??

LOBATAN
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by MissSlimbody(f): 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2015
KingTom:

Which day you go come calabar again? Make I give you marketing lessons grin

Na the day wey you go send flight ticket ogringrin

I no fit try that state by road again.
The journey is killing undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by eby4uzo(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2015
Marketing Job is the most lucrative job one can ever think of. Through Marketing job within 3 years, I was able to leave a comfortable life. Got married with kids now and planning to start building my own house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Aroh48(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2015
HenryThegreat1:
Because people doing marketing job don't know wot marketing entails. I read marketing and d way i approach a client will never be d same way graduates of engineering do. Another tin i observed here is dat people criticise marketing job here if ordinary microfinance bank advertise 4 marketing officer position, u will see lawyers, doctors, engineering, accountants applying 4 dat position making it difficult 4 us dat know marketing and passion 4 sales. My advice is dat people should go and practice their professions and leave marketing 4 us. Thanks.
u dey vex oooo!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by Donpizzle(m): 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2015
KingTom:
Laziness. undecided
u tink teaching is for lazy people.??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? by ylaa(f): 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2015
thanks
tonychristopher:

You don't need to work.....you can use cars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Qualifications For Applying For ACCA Or ICAN / 7 Things You Must Know As A New Graduate / Tope Omage: A Woman Who Wants To Go Far Should Respect Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.