Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Fulani/bororo Wahala - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fulani/bororo Wahala (2530 Views)

Man Wears A Bulletproof Vest At His Farm In Edo Because Of Fulani Herdsmen / A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani/bororo Wahala by Jilo83(m): 6:02am On Sep 17, 2015
Pls how are u handling the issue of fulani/bororo herd men in your area? Last yr i travelled 237km to get cassava stem that i planted on my farm but to my surprise after like 4months i got to d farm n nothing found standing. I traced them i reported to police. The collected money frm them n did not give me a kobo. It has become d trend now that they destroy farms n kill farmers that challenge them or injure them. People r shunning farming most especially youths in my area because herdmen problem.
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Fumbaby: 6:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Use jatropha for your fence I heard they don't eat the leaf

2 Likes

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:50am On Sep 17, 2015
@OP Where is your farm located?

@funbaby jatropha has been found to be ineffective
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Jilo83(m): 3:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
Oke ogun (oyo north) area of oyo state
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Johnnyessence(m): 6:06pm On Sep 17, 2015
well if u want to purchase ur land look security aspect too some of the fulani people are good and some are bad

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Johnnyessence(m): 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
Jilo83:
Oke ogun (oyo north) area of oyo state
pls try and communicate with the community people this is very sad ooo chaiii fulani should be probe oo enough of this crime. try and get security guards in the community. sorry for the loss bro this ur story serve as lesson to other young farmers.

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 7:15pm On Sep 17, 2015
Fence your farm with barbed wire
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Godfirst2014: 8:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
The issue of cattle rearers has been a major problem to both pontential and existing farmers,I have a rice farmer who could not cultivate anything this year because of this pple.Pls exprienced farmers in the house enlight us.Finally, moderators front page pls.

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Johnnyessence(m): 11:08pm On Sep 17, 2015
this is getting bad ooooo. fulani herdmen should be called upon this is very bad from the highest order stealing farmers produce chaiii oga oooo.
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by GGfadar(m): 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2015
Fence ur farm with plants/crops like maize and sray some crazy harmful/poisonous chemicals, once the flock starts dying, they won't grave around ur farm anymore.

It might sound odd but animals eating up ones labour too is just same as my idea of spraying chemicals to end d fulani/bororo labour.

Its not easy to fence a farm with wire fence when u think about d cost.

I keep animals too but always make sure they don't go into anyones farm......
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2015
GGfadar:
Fence ur farm with plants/crops like maize and sray some crazy harmful/poisonous chemicals, once the flock starts dying, they won't grave around ur farm anymore.

It might sound odd but animals eating up ones labour too is just same as my idea of spraying chemicals to end d fulani/bororo labour.

Its not easy to fence a farm with wire fence when u think about d cost.

I keep animals too but always make sure they don't go into anyones farm......

Your suggested solution is not possible in Nigeria.

The Fulani cattle herders have 2 different armed wings.
If their cows start dying they will send one of their armed wing to kill and rape the farmers.

That is why you hear of so much conflicts between the cattle herders and farmers. If the cows destroy crops and the farmers kill the cows in retaliation, the cattle herders simply call in their armed guards who come in with rifles to kill the farmers.

If their armed guards is overpowered by the farmers, the Fulani cattle herders simply call in the military to shoot the farmers into submission. The farmers don't have any countermeasures against the military that is why the farmers are always losing the battle against the cattle herders.

It is sad that the Nigerian military is the 2nd armed wing of the Fulani cattle herder and routinely kill farmers in support of the Fulani cattle herders.

I still believe fencing each farm with barbed wires or electric fence will be the best way each individual farmer can protect his crops.

Also farmers needs to deal with traitors among the community. From my experience, the cattle herders normally pay someone within the community who in turn gives them the go ahead to graze on grass in the community. If you don't want Fulani cattle to destroy your crops, don't take money from them with the promise of allowing them to graze their cattle in the community. And southerners need to start opening ranches and keeping cattle. That way we can limit nomadic herding of cattle in the south.

7 Likes

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by GGfadar(m): 11:33pm On Sep 19, 2015
On point

ogb5:

Your suggested solution is not possible in Nigeria.

The Fulani cattle herders have 2 different armed wings.
If their cows start dying they will send one of their armed wing to kill and rape the farmers.

That is why you hear of so much conflicts between the cattle herders and farmers. If the cows destroy crops and the farmers kill the cows in retaliation, the cattle herders simply call in their armed guards who come in with rifles to kill the farmers.

If their armed guards is overpowered by the farmers, the Fulani cattle herders simply call in the military to shoot the farmers into submission. The farmers don't have any countermeasures against the military that is why the farmers are always losing the battle against the cattle herders.

It is sad that the Nigerian military is the 2nd armed wing of the Fulani cattle herder and routinely kill farmers in support of the Fulani cattle herders.

I still believe fencing each farm with barbed wires or electric fence will be the best way each individual farmer can protect his crops.

Also farmers needs to deal with traitors among the community. From my experience, the cattle herders normally pay someone within the community who in turn gives them the go ahead to graze on grass in the community. If you don't want Fulani cattle to destroy your crops, don't take money from them with the promise of allowing them to graze their cattle in the community. And southerners need to start opening ranches and keeping cattle. That way we can limit nomadic herding of cattle in the south.

Ranching is much more better but cost of setting up a ranch in this country kinda high, land purchase and other important factors/facilities.
I believe a group can make this happen....

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 3:53am On Sep 20, 2015
GGfadar:
On point

Ranching is much more better but cost of setting up a ranch in this country kinda high, land purchase and other important factors/facilities.
I believe a group can make this happen....

There are options for low cost ranching. One can house the cows in a plot of land and buy grass from the sorrounding areas and truck the grass to the farm house. I have a friend who does this and it does not look expensive.

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by Godfirst2014: 8:47am On Sep 22, 2015
About 5 days ago, the op raised this issue and just yesterday Baba Falae was manhandled and kidnapped,If such high profile citizen could be maltreated in such way,how much more the common farmers.Let us continue to profer soln on this.Thanks to nairaland farmers who have made useful suggestions
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by olayemifisayo(m): 8:52am On Sep 22, 2015
This is a serious matter oooo
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by fayahsoul: 9:18am On Sep 22, 2015
hmm i planted corn in a plot of land belonging to the family whom i purchased my farm land from. When i returned during time of harvest i was shocked to see not a single corn stalk on ground. It all disappeared. I confronted the owners of the land and they denied it. They said it could be cattle herders but i didnt believe them. I suspected they had a hand in it. Now this post got me thinking.
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by femu(m): 2:11pm On Sep 22, 2015
Only the state and federal government can solve this menace if we are serious about agric.
it's not possible to fence land for serious crop commercial farming...... the cost is too much.
The way forward is for the influential farmers to form a lobby group and stop the menace

1 Like

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2015
femu:
Only the state and federal government can solve this menace if we are serious about agric.
it's not possible to fence land for serious crop commercial farming...... the cost is too much.
The way forward is for the influential farmers to form a lobby group and stop the menace

This is not a 1st time problem. This problem has been faced by others before.
We need to ask ourselves, how did others solve the problem when they faced it. Every country had nomadic herding of animals at one point or the other in their history. How did they overcome animal destruction of crops?

The barbed wire is potent in keeping animals in check.
For the new breed farmers who put a lot for their live savings into crop farming, investing some extra money to protect your crops from destruction should be high on the agenda. And you might actually be protecting your live as well. Arguement over cattle destruction of crops claim the lives of many farmers yearly.

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by femu(m): 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
ogb5:

This is not a 1st time problem. This problem has been faced by others before.
We need to ask ourselves, how did others solve the problem when they faced it. Every country had nomadic herding of animals at one point or the other in their history. How did they overcome animal destruction of crops?

The barbed wire is potent in keeping animals in check.
For the new breed farmers who put a lot for their live savings into crop farming, investing some extra money to protect your crops from destruction should be high on the agenda. And you might actually be protecting your live as well. Arguement over cattle destruction of crops claim the lives of many farmers yearly.

how much will it COST to barb wire and MAINTAIN 100 hectares of land?

Do you think the wires won't be breached or the farmer will put sensor. abeg let's be realistic
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2015
femu:

how much will it COST to barb wire and MAINTAIN 100 hectares of land?

Do you think the wires won't be breached or the farmer will put sensor. abeg let's be realistic

With 3m naira one should be able to fence 100 hectares with 4 strands of barbed wires. I don't think that should be a problem for someone who is able to buy 100 hectares of land.

From reports Olu Falae has been having running problems with cattle herders and was finally kidnapped from his farm this week. I think a man like Falae should be able to fence his farm.

Even in civilised places like the US, farmers still fence their farms, why can't we do the same in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by femu(m): 10:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
ogb5:

With 3m naira one should be able to fence 100 hectares with 4 strands of barbed wires. I don't think that should be a problem for someone who is able to buy 100 hectares of land.

From reports Olu Falae has been having running problems with cattle herders and was finally kidnapped from his farm this week. I think a man like Falae should be able to fence his farm.

Even in civilised places like the US, farmers still fence their farms, why can't we do the same in Nigeria

the fence will be breached as often as possible...
can you provide a breakdown costing for 100 hectares.
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by ogb5(m): 9:40am On Sep 23, 2015
femu:

the fence will be breached as often as possible...
can you provide a breakdown costing for 100 hectares.

Who or what are you thinking will breach the fence. Note that the fence is for animals not humans. When cows try to breach barbed wire fences they normally come out badly hurt by the fence. Always.

You can electrify it with a solar fence charger if you want to make it more difficult to breach, but that is extra cost and is very deadly to animals to combine electricity with barbed wires as animals trapped in the barbed wires are unable to escape the electric shocks.

Unfortunately I can't give you a cost breakdown to fence 1000 hectares at this time. I don't sell fencing materials. I have a rough idea of the fencing cost because I am working on fencing my farm soon.

I can give you a cost breakdown when I finish my fence.
Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by olushollys(m): 10:26am On Mar 14, 2016
Oga i hope u are done fencing ur farm, pls can u give an estimate for 1 acre / hecteare @least rough estimate for materials etc. Thanks
ogb5:

Who or what are you thinking will breach the fence. Note that the fence is for animals not humans. When cows try to breach barbed wire fences they normally come out badly hurt by the fence. Always.

You can electrify it with a solar fence charger if you want to make it more difficult to breach, but that is extra cost and is very deadly to animals to combine electricity with barbed wires as animals trapped in the barbed wires are unable to escape the electric shocks.

Unfortunately I can't give you a cost breakdown to fence 1000 hectares at this time. I don't sell fencing materials. I have a rough idea of the fencing cost because I am working on fencing my farm soon.

Re: Fulani/bororo Wahala by mfm04622: 9:20am On Jul 26, 2018
ogb5:

The herders will cut the fence for the animal to enter the farm

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Watch My Pepper Farming From The Beginning To Harvest (Video/Pictures) / Fonio Acha Now Available Location Ibadan / We Fabricate Cassava Peeling Machine In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.