Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) (38939 Views)

Ukwulu Invasion: Outcry As Fulani Herdsmen Ruin Farmlands In Anambra (Video) / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / Man Wears A Bulletproof Vest At His Farm In Edo Because Of Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 4:33pm On Oct 14, 2016
How would I start....

Well years back in the family, our dad's strong interest in farming sprung up again. My Brothers and myself didn't like the idea and we stayed away as possible.

He tried to encourage us by paying us for our labour on the large farm settlement located at FedPoly, Ado-ekiti, and we had to drop our 'guy' mentality. The harvest of Yam, Maize and Tomatoes was enough to sustain us for a year.

Cash came and we advised our old man to switch to mechanized Farming if he wanted us fully interested and he yielded and why I was at school, he rented some hectares, 4 in all at the Orin farm settlement in Ido-osi. My bro updated me and it was then I learnt some fulani were also farmers there. they planted maize mostly and their cows about 100 grazed on the lands yet to be rented out for planting.

I watched as labourers planted the maize on 2 hectares and I joined afterwards. The 'moo' of the cows sounded nearby. Little did we know our crops would be their grazing ground a month later which happened last week.

While I prepared for resumption, the farm was sprayed, etc to enable smooth and healthy growth of the corn, beans, cassava, until the farm manager called to say that an entire hectare of maize has been eaten by cows. Their hooves were visible in the fertile soil, so there was no denial of we took it up.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by doggedemmy(m): 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2016
That's too bad! So sorry for the loss. What step has been taken so far?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:00pm On Oct 14, 2016
While we deliberated on taking it up with the police and all, my dad was busy reasoning on challenging them cos he understood their language and commuted with them, especiall one of them that had formal education to SSCE Level. I learnt from the farm manager that because he insisted on going to school, his father's wives, numbering 5 refused to give him his share of the inheritance which was actually quite a fortune. He didn't mind, but the foolishness of the wives was evident in that he was an interpreter and helped with
transporting their produce to the city where it will be bought, else, they'll rot away in the deep farm settlement all to themselves.

Dad got an audience while I went round the farm snapping evidence of the colossal damage the cows did to a month's maize on height. I felt like taking physical action. Well it's about to involve the police.

While they were talking, the old man that owned the cows said he wasn't aware that his sons(the man looked 86 and his eldest son was 17) encroached our farm. He apologized and popc decided to make them pay with mutual interest first. The interpreter's talk got me suspicious and I shifted closer to hear what they will offer.

The old man wanted to offer a meagre 5000 naira for the damage his cows did!!!!

My dad refuse and I interrupted to tell my dad that he better let this peeps pay well for their damage.

They supposed to pay nothing less than 60k but here was the old man, saying 5k!!?

I got angry and told my old man to use negotiating tactics and tell them he'll get to them but refusing the 5k. he stood up to leave and they now in fear, double it to 10k.

Not enough still..... but from what happened yesterday I could deduce that

1) These Fulani herds men had no value for anything not theirs

2) The fear of repercussion makes them do stuff to even the extent of being the agressor.

3) The detest formal education, Western as they call it.

4) They swear a lot

5) The owners of the cows they herd are mostly politicians based mostly in Abuja

Pics follow.

The police will enter the matter by Monday!!

Pavore9, Lalasticlala

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2016
The pics soon

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:25pm On Oct 14, 2016
doggedemmy:
That's too bad! So sorry for the loss. What step has been taken so far?

The police will get in come Monday. Was personally reluctant to go to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2016
hooves...

2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:30pm On Oct 14, 2016
plants

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:33pm On Oct 14, 2016
More..

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:36pm On Oct 14, 2016

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:38pm On Oct 14, 2016

1 Share

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:48pm On Oct 14, 2016
And more

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by charijee(f): 5:49pm On Oct 14, 2016
Sorry about that, dave......same thing we suffer in our farms. Those herdsmen are heartless sad

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:51pm On Oct 14, 2016
A Part of the Fulani Settlement

1 Share

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2016
However fence less, their cow don't touch their own blossoming crop..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by daveP(m): 6:00pm On Oct 14, 2016
charijee:
Sorry about that, dave......same thing we suffer in our farms. Those herdsmen are heartless sad
Well I wish I had the big heart my dad had by first of all initiating a meet.

Would I be wrong if I think this of any of them I meet afterwards? How did yours happen?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by doggedemmy(m): 6:31pm On Oct 14, 2016
Nice one! Let them pay for the loss
A friend's father had this same fulani herdsmen issue in a village in Delta State. The cows, numbering over 50 entered into my friend's dad's cassava farm of more than 10 plots. This old man was shedding tears.
Few days latter we started seeing dead bodies of cows around. We no even care, na so we begin collect free meat o grin Later we found out that the deed was carried out by one baddo for the area. The guy sprayed one kind poisonous chemical around a plot of land where the cows normally visit. Naso God take bless our Christmas and new year that year. Fulani guys self run...
daveP:

The police will get in come Monday. Was personally reluctant to go to them.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by veekid(m): 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2016
Buhari own family them

2 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by DozieInc(m): 9:56pm On Oct 14, 2016
Ok.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by tonaydo(m): 9:56pm On Oct 14, 2016
hmmmmmm. . .am coming back to comment something reasonable

2 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by RZArecta(m): 9:59pm On Oct 14, 2016
Fulani herdsmen and their cows from Libya have freedom of movement all over Nigeria and even on your farm plus other private property. Ya jes a wailer tongue

5 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by wethebest(m): 10:00pm On Oct 14, 2016
watching in 3D

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Lovelynature(m): 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2016
cool
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by maxiuc(m): 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2016
My cows belongs to farms and streets

2 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Mopolchi: 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2016
Sorry for your loss. I blame Buhari their master.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by peeparty(m): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
Davep bros tell your popsy make e forget am oo.. This guys might come back to do worst #your life is @stake here.

Revenge is not always the solution,geting them to pay wouldn't solve anything instead it a trap.

11 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Sijo01(f): 10:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
Op, you and your family should be careful with those people so that they will not do the unthinkable to any of you one of these days.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by dijas(m): 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2016
My advice for u is that u leave those guys for ur life.

go and look for one chemical that kills pest and rodent. after farming spray it on ur crop. make it attractive so that they will mumu Côme.

relax and ready for xmas meat

15 Likes

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Exponental(m): 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2016
ok
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 10:03pm On Oct 14, 2016
Good. My position is, tell your dad to get the 10k. Buy new seeds and replant. And tell your dad to tell the herdsmen to be more watchful so their cows don't enter your land to do more damage especially when they are grazing.
Tell him to do all these in a friendly manner. Those guys, as you have mentioned, have no formal education, no chill and no remorse. Any misunderstood move from ur dad could be perceived as an act of aggression. I am not sure your acres of maize is worth any bloodshed. Those guys could kill if things go out of hand.
And where is your own calculation of #60k coming from? That could be seen as an act of greed. No one would even give you that kind of money, Hausa, yoruba, or Ibo without any form of negotiations, talk less of these guys. Rethink your position and approach everything with diplomacy, tact and caution.
We don't want to see any news of herdsmen killing people on some farmland in Ado ekiti because of a meager 'how much'. A word is enough for the wise.

And stop the hatred yourself...why do u sound so hurt and hateful? Is it because they are not your tribe? #SoulSearchingTime

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Omotayor123(f): 10:07pm On Oct 14, 2016
Sorry dear shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by hayPizzle(m): 10:07pm On Oct 14, 2016
morafokas

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by ibroh22(m): 10:10pm On Oct 14, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. / 'My Name Is Ogochukwu Maduako, I Am A Farmer And A Recycler" / Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.