Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. (30944 Views)

I Just Got A Job From Nairaland / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by databoy247(m): 1:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
Recently, i decided to conduct an interview and select some candidates who might be working with my organization. Currently we are trying to expand our operations and see how we can get new leads and probably close more deals. And from my survey, there are hundreds and possibly thousands of unemployed graduates here in Nairaland so i decided to concentrate on recruiting from here.

Now because of the nature of the job and also with a view in cutting cost around physical recruitment exercise, I decided to conduct the whole process online.

567 applications where received. I had to employ the services an outside consultant to help with the process which i also fully participated. Below are my shocking experiences with job seekers in this forum. I pray they read this and improve on themselves.

1. CV and cover letter.
I remember explicitly asking for their CV and cover letter to be forwarded to a particular email address. A huge percentage of the applicants just sent an empty email with their CV as an attachment. Not even an application letter. In case you dont know, a very quick assessment can be done on you by just reading your application or cover letter. You don't just attach your CV and forward to an email address without a cover letter. It means you are not serious and you may NEVER get called for an interview.

2. Many do not even know what they are applying for.
For an example you are asked to apply for an administrative position. The subject of your email should not be "My CV". This is so annoying and disgusting. Those that manage to write a cover letter do not even make reference to the job position they are applying for.

3. Lack of communication skills.
Now it is not enough to have a degree, you must learn to communicate. I sent out a pre-interview questionnaire to selected candidates and i just couldn't believe what i saw. So many job seekers do not know how to communicate and speak simple and clear English language. If you want to stand a better chance in job haunting, learn how to communicate.

4. Words abbreviations
This is a very big problem. Social medial is good but i think it's now becoming a major problem. With the use of BBM, whatsapp, Facebook chat, etc, Nigerians are now addicted to abbreviating words. You see things like 'u', 'k', 'comin', etc. And in case you dont know it, this can cause a very big problem for you. A lot of candidates get disqualified because of this. Learn to write properly when communicating with someone. Stop being in a hurry to pass along your message.

5. Checking of emails.
As a job seeker, you should always check your emails. Recruiters dont just send text messages, they also send emails. I did not screen alot of people because they did not check their emails to see if any information has been passed to them. You must always be on the look out. Dont submit your applications and go relaxing.

These are some of the experiences i had recruiting here. Out of 567 applications, i could not pick up to 20 candidates as a result of all these. Sometimes, i begin to wonder if the problem is lack of jobs or laxity on the part of the applicants because i am so shocked and surprised that our graduates are this way.

http://thenigerian.com.ng/index.php/2015/09/17/my-experiences-recruiting-nigerian-job-seekers-5-things-i-discovered/

96 Likes 28 Shares

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Gherrokid(m): 1:27pm On Sep 17, 2015
Shocking undecided.....
One begins to wonder if the unemployment problem in Nigeria is due to lack of jobs or lack of employable graduates

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by databoy247(m): 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gherrokid:
Shocking undecided.....

Bros, this is not "dem say" oh. If i upload some apllications here you wont believe it. Its truly shocking.
==========================================================================================
[color=#000099][b]UPDATE

For those of you contacting me regarding a review of your CV, send in a copy of your recent resume to CV Wizards and one of our professional CV writers will assess it and email you with their suggestions as to how it could be improved to ensure it is viewed more positively by a prospective employer.

we will look carefully at a wide range of important criteria, from common mistakes to content and presentation and deliver a review indicating exactly what can be improved – and where.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
That's what happens when people write your waec and "machine" writes your exams.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by viqueta(m): 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2015
Nice one OP, am sometimes guilty of Sending an empty mail with just my cv attached but I think I will have to desist from such practice

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by dominique(f): 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2015
This is the level our standard of education has sunk to.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DICKtator: 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by free2ryhme: 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Na for nairaland dem dey form phoney, una don see una lives

Spend years within the university plus NYSC common sense dem no get

Shame!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DiegoNakel(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
J
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by jiggar(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
If it's not too late, can I still apply in your organization?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by damton(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
Seriously. How educational system needs a total overhaul.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Lordtrillion(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lol
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by doubleportion: 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2015
Point no:4 is the reason I alway try to discipline myself to write complete words no matter the temptation on any social media platform. God help this generation!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by wellmax(m): 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2015
Thanks for sharing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by lanrei(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
That's cool
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by olu4life(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
Sincerely u couldn't have said it better. Decided to review CV of some friends recently, couldn't help but laugh. Had to correct it for them. And most don't even send cover letter when sending their CV, why is that? I hope they correct themselves

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
Illiterates everywhere undecided. No wonder someone promised to pay them 5k monthly and they can't even ask how it will be done. Same graduates that believes everything the tabloids throw at them.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by majamajic(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
The 20 should do the needful, let them testify.

@op u try. God bless u
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by jimfend: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
I've had such experience trying to recruit, it's disheartening...
One of my requirements was that they submit a passport, most of them sent me their selfies.

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by estheremma(f): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
"Haunting" grin"Haunting"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by free2ryhme: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
When they spend theirs lives on social media ping this ping that

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Toktee(m): 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gherrokid:

Bros abeg upload some here make pls. Like two or three so dat d house can see.
See your life,this is what the op is saying just now,what is the meaning "so dat d"? and you are quick to make a demand.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by simdam500(m): 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
What will be the outcome of the future or upcoming when the "now" are loosing it?

The other day it was a fault from the employer now, another fault from on the employee path. No one is perfect though, but striving harder to be the best is needed.

And I think our lack of reading play a major role in the unemployment state.

Op I understand you very well...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DICKtator: 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
viqueta:
Nice one OP, am sometimes guilty of Sending an empty mail with just my cv attached but I think I will have to desist from such practice

It is "I'm" not am

"Thanks" me "laters"

grin grin grin grin

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
Don't do that. Why will you upload it, that's unethical

Thanks for the analysis and tips. You have helped a lot of people here.
databoy247:

Bros, this is not "dem say" oh. If i upload some apllications here you wont believe it. Its truly shocking.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by dheolexaone(f): 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
Noted.
ff @dheolexaone on #INSTAGRAM
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by omerta07(m): 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
I just received one application the other day from an economics graduate and the title was "Application for unemployment" what's the whole rush for?? Call it a mistake but such mistakes MAY cost you a lifetime!

24 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Ways You Are Wasting Away Your Youthful Time / Schleez Nigeria Limited / Any Business Idea I Can Start With 500k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.