Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,579 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. (30945 Views)

I Just Got A Job From Nairaland / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by kennyman2000(m): 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
databoy.. One of my mentors.. Lemme learn
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by ibkgab001: 1:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
K
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Segadem(m): 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
ok
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by talk2riel: 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
2go generation have migrated to nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
Lol.....you d be surprised

Sms costs #4 but by the time some people send u text, they wud end up using 10kobo of their money in text.

Thanks to k, kk(okay),...hlo(hello)....ttly( I ll talk to you later)....lv u bae(i love you baby), boo, hon( honey).......we have all become so lazy to type words, how then do people have the strength to write an application latter.

First started with the ladies, now its everyone

And its affecting us alot, God help us
doubleportion:
Point no:4 is the reason I alway try to discipline myself to write complete words no matter the temptation on any social media platform. God help this generation!

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
Insightful.........
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by geelord(m): 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gherrokid:
Shocking undecided.....
One begins to wonder if the unemployment problem in Nigeria is due to lack of jobs or lack of employable graduates

And they would come on here and rant.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DiegoNakel(m): 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2015
Am not yet a graduate tho, am still schooling(Unilorin) but this thread has given me an idea !!!
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by adoks(m): 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
Give me a tey then
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
The abbreviating simple words is the most annoying,for macmillians sake both "kk" and "ok" are two letters,you would even see "Cumin" for the "comin" sef. People will pray and abbreviate In Jesus Name for ijn. I bet you will hardly see young people these days that can actually write a letter on paper. Pitiful

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by roymary: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
Oya, una don hear? Olodo children. Dullards of Nairaland grin
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DICKtator: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
damton:
Seriously. How educational system needs a total overhaul.

Needs an overhaul for what?

If you mean better packages for educationists and infrastructures,I'll agree with you

But if it is based on op's observations that exposes the lack of personal development/capacity building in our youth,

You may be wrong!. No one taught Booker.T Washington(for a period) and Abe Lincoln(also for a period) all these!!

The internet is there for all!!!. Let's empower ourselves by utilizing these free resources available on the internet!!

grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by GabrielSuswam(m): 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
calebo101:
Illiterates everywhere undecided. No wonder someone promised to pay them 5k monthly and they can't even ask how it will be done. Same graduates that believes everything the tabloids throw at them.

Broda we must not politicise every topic

Sail On

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Chibokgame: 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
Please is it too late to still apply,
And if Yes,
Can experienced non graduate apply?
Thanks.
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Godmother(f): 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
That of abbreviation is just crazy. People should learn to see the entire interview process as serious and therefore treat it as such. How can you write shorthand and abbreviations in a formal letter. Weren't they taught formal letter in secondary school? It's truly sad.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by slap1(m): 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
viqueta:
Nice one OP, am sometimes guilty of Sending an empty mail with just my cv attached but I think I will have to desist from such practice
And while at it, learn to put full-stops at the end of sentences and know the difference between 'I'm' and 'am'.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by zheroes(m): 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gherrokid:
Shocking undecided.....
One begins to wonder if the unemployment problem in Nigeria is due to lack of jobs or lack of employable graduates
ITS DUE TO LACK OF GOOD JOBS AND NOT UNEMPLOYABLE GRADUATES!!!! SOME JOBS WILL MAKE YOU END IN THE RED AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by bxcode(m): 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2015
That's the hard truth, it's a pity that the university system is just seen as a means to grab a document titled degree and once they become graduate they stop reading and upgrading themselves. That's why I encourage young people like myself to do things that will only add value to your life. A lot of activities that we do today are pure distractions with little or no value and we make them our priorities.
I don't have a job, I Don't have a job, what have you been doing all along up until you see that job invite? Your guess is as good as mine.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2015
GabrielSuswam:

Broda we must not politicise every topic

Sail On

Awumen.
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by slap1(m): 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2015
DiegoNakel:
Am not yet a graduate tho, am still schooling(Unilorin) but this thread has given me an idea !!!
"tho"
You should start dropping abbreviations from now.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 17, 2015
You are lucky you didn't get an SMS from a job seeker applying for the post.

laziness is what is killing Nigerian graduates.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by tobe4real(m): 1:57pm On Sep 17, 2015
this is just an excuse and its futile, if at all graduates do what you claim it will be the minority or about 6percent of those who apply don't make it look like its the majority.and make Nigerian graduates look like nonentities..
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by viqueta(m): 1:57pm On Sep 17, 2015
DICKtator:

It is "I'm" not am
"Thanks" me "laters"

grin grin grin grin
Lol....Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by dearpiriye: 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2015
omerta07:
I just received one application the other day from an economics graduate and the title was "Application for unemployment" what's the whole rush for?? Call it a mistake but such mistakes MAY cost you a lifetime!

Are you on wattpad? Your username though
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Dfavouredone: 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
databoy247:

Bros, this is not "dem say" oh. If i upload some apllications here you wont believe it. Its truly shocking.

While i have no basis to debunk your claims, i find it quite unbelievable that you couldn't pick 20 out of 567 candidates.

If you dont mind, could you please post some of the application that you find annoying.

I know most Nigerian employers (not all) pick on every thing to justify their position of not employing.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
majamajic:
The 20 should do the needful, let them testify.

@op u try. God bless u
See your DP.. Looks like you dey abroad.. Can I be your friend? kiss
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by damton(m): 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
DICKtator:

Needs an overhaul for what?

If you mean better packages for educationists and infrastructures,I'll agree with you

But if it is based on op's observations that exposes the lack of personal development/capacity building in our youth,

You may be wrong!. No one taught Booker.T Washington(for a period) and Abe Lincoln(also for a period) all these!!

The internet is there for all!!!. Let's empower ourselves by utilizing these free resources available on the internet!!

grin grin grin grin
yeH i quite agree with u. but might point is that our educational system does not expose our mind towards self development. On This Part Of The World WHATEVER The TEA HER OR LECTURER Says Hold SWAY IRRESPECTIVE Of WHETHER Right OR wrong. So We Are Taught To Always Look Up to Dem FIR KNOWLEDGE Rather Than ENCOURAGING The STUDENT To Always CHALLENGE NOTIONS An Ideas To Become Self developing students.
Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by DiegoNakel(m): 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2015
slap1:
"tho" You should start dropping abbreviations from now.
This is a social network post , not a C.V application !!!

1 Like

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by JayJustus(m): 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2015
please OP upload some of it...I need a good laugh this night...hahahahaha...

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by menix(m): 2:01pm On Sep 17, 2015
databoy247:
Recently, i decided to conduct an interview and select some candidates who might be working with my organization. Currently we are trying to expand our operations and see how we can get new leads and probably close more deals. And from my survey, there are hundreds and possibly thousands of unemployed graduates here in Nairaland so i decided to concentrate on recruiting from here.

Now because of the nature of the job and also with a view in cutting cost around physical recruitment exercise, I decided to conduct the whole process online.

567 applications where received. I had to employ the services an outside consultant to help with the process which i also fully participated. Below are my shocking experiences with job seekers in this forum. I pray they read this and improve on themselves.

1. CV and cover letter.
I remember explicitly asking for their CV and cover letter to be forwarded to a particular email address. A huge percentage of the applicants just sent an empty email with their CV as an attachment. Not even an application letter. In case you dont know, a very quick assessment can be done on you by just reading your application or cover letter. You don't just attach your CV and forward to an email address without a cover letter. It means you are not serious and you may NEVER get called for an interview.

2. Many do not even know what they are applying for.
For an example you are asked to apply for an administrative position. The subject of your email should not be "My CV". This is so annoying and disgusting. Those that manage to write a cover letter do not even make reference to the job position they are applying for.

3. Lack of communication skills.
Now it is not enough to have a degree, you must learn to communicate. I sent out a pre-interview questionnaire to selected candidates and i just couldn't believe what i saw. So many job seekers do not know how to communicate and speak simple and clear English language. If you want to stand a better chance in job haunting, learn how to communicate.

4. Words abbreviations
This is a very big problem. Social medial is good but i think it's now becoming a major problem. With the use of BBM, whatsapp, Facebook chat, etc, Nigerians are now addicted to abbreviating words. You see things like 'u', 'k', 'comin', etc. And in case you dont know it, this can cause a very big problem for you. A lot of candidates get disqualified because of this. Learn to write properly when communicating with someone. Stop being in a hurry to pass along your message.

5. Checking of emails.
As a job seeker, you should always check your emails. Recruiters dont just send text messages, they also send emails. I did not screen alot of people because they did not check their emails to see if any information has been passed to them. You must always be on the look out. Dont submit your applications and go relaxing.

These are some of the experiences i had recruiting here. Out of 567 applications, i could not pick up to 20 candidates as a result of all these. Sometimes, i begin to wonder if the problem is lack of jobs or laxity on the part of the applicants because i am so shocked and surprised that our graduates are this way.

http://thenigerian.com.ng/index.php/2015/09/17/my-experiences-recruiting-nigerian-job-seekers-5-things-i-discovered/

Cc: lalasticlala

OGA it's Job hunting..

See big rock wey dey your eye and u busy removing the dust in okon's eye..

9 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Moneyab(m): 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
Gherrokid:
Shocking undecided.....
A good number of them are just unemployable. Can't you see from the quality of posts and comments on naira land that we have major issue at hand?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Recruiting From Nairaland. Shocking. by Maryalex1805(f): 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
Thanks for the information

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Ways You Are Wasting Away Your Youthful Time / Schleez Nigeria Limited / Any Business Idea I Can Start With 500k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.