Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market (53014 Views)

Soldiers & Policemen Clash Over Girlfriend In Yobe, 4 Policemen & 1 Soldier Die / Abubakar Shekau Kills Boko Haram’s Spokesman Over ‘leadership Plot’ / Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 18, 2015
I could not even finish Reading the story, the bias reporting is so frustrating to say the least.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by laffytaffy1: 3:30am On Sep 18, 2015
The best solution to all these Lagos nonsense is to just drop a freaking nuke in that filthy town

5 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by pyyxxaro: 3:55am On Sep 18, 2015
Appleyard:
I believe when the colonial masters first came, you were the one that was in habitation, or it was monkeys that ceded the place to them to become a colony.

Na u make am be no man's land!

Yes tongue

3 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by OPCNAIRALAND: 4:04am On Sep 18, 2015
I blame these Yorubas.
What would it take for Yoruba to start asserting class and supremacy in its own domain of influence?

12 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by xkris11(m): 4:13am On Sep 18, 2015
This story is fake, I just called my brother to confirm the story, he said nothing like that happened in the small market.

@op, why would you post such misleading information and a very frighteningly picture just to deceive people.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 18, 2015
Why using Buhari boys pix? Has he sent his boys to constitute public nuisance in the market? He is good at destabilizing public peace anyways.

olaolulazio:
The Yoruba and Igbo factions of a major
association in the Olugbede Model Market in
Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos are
poised for a showdown which could result to loss
of lives and property if not nipped in the bud.
file photo
The Model Market was rated as one of the most
peaceable markets in Lagos State until recently
when crisis erupted among members of the GSM
Association who constitutes about 95 per cent of
the market population.
The situation would degenerate and extend to the
host Egbeda community except urgent measures
are taken by Lagos State Marketing Board,
traditional rulers and other concerned authorities.
Historically, the Model market was reportedly
started by some Yoruba traders about 40 years
ago but due to the relocation challenges being
faced by Ikeja GSM village, some Igbo GSM
traders were said to have run to Olugbede Model
market for succor and were received with open
arms but gradually, the ‘visitors’ were said to
have increased in number and dominated every
sphere of the market.
Conducive accommodation
Also, because of the peaceful and friendly nature
of the Yorubas, the Igbos were not only allocated
shops and stalls but were assisted in securing
conducive accommodation in Egbeda and its
environs for stress free business transaction but
the step was later regretted by the ‘hosts’ as the
supposed ‘visitors’ seems to gain momentum and
turned the table round, a step that has resulted
into crises among traders of the model market as
well as Egbeda youths who are uncomfortable
with the way and manner their kinsmen are being
treated.
For this reason, the Yoruba traders now liken the
development to the case of a man who invited a
neighbour to the dining table but due to the
satisfaction derived from the delicacy, the
neighbour turned around to hold-on to the feeding
hand in order to take possession of the whole
meal.
Vanguard findings revealed that the market
christened the GSM Association for 15 years, was
nurtured to make it ripe for leadership. Ever since
the Igbos have cornered the major positions for a
period of 12 years.
As another election approaches, an electoral
committee was inaugurated to oversee the affairs
of the market and supervise the forthcoming
election. This has degenerated into crises which
has brought about police intervention and if care
is not taken, there could be a total breaking down
of law and order within the market.
During Vanguard’s visits to the market, there was
apprehension and division among the traders as
Yorubas and Igbos no longer relate as one.
Also, police authorities have advised that the
election be put on hold until normalcy returns to
the market.
In a chat with some of the traders, they accused
their leaders of mismanagement and insensitivity
to members’ plight and prayed the government to
intervene in the situation.
When Vanguard contacted the Chairman of the
electoral body in a telephone conversation, he
said his office was no longer relevant as the
election had been put on hold, ‘’the crisis has
gone beyond what we think and the Police have
intervened. We were asked to suspend the
election and put our house in order, as a result, I
don’t think I am in the best position to handle
any leadership role in the market,”
When the Chairman of the previous government
was contacted, he simply said he was not in his
best state of mind.
Meanwhile, the Iyaloja of the market Mrs
Adebamowo Musili, said the market authorities
are leaving no stone unturned to resolve the
crisis, ‘’there is no way we will not misunderstand
ourselves but it is our duty to resolve it. Both
factions belong to us but nobody must be
cheated,”
The leader of Egbeda youths, Wahab Okanlawon
Ogunji, lamented that the situation if not nipped in
the bud could cause breaking down of law and
order in the area.
He however said the matter had been taken to
the local council development area to no avail,
“my sister, we cannot fold our arms and allow
things to get out of hands, the traders who are
mostly youths have cried to us and we have
taken the matter to the LCDA but it is so painful
that the Igbos are taking laws into their hands
without fear nor favour.”
Effort to reach Iyaloja-General proved abortive as
she did not respond to Vanguard calls.
Source: http://www.informationng.com/?p=319962

3 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 18, 2015
its the same old story.....ibos make una continue o jareee since Yoruba no wan get sense. There is a cavaet though, they might wake up soon ooo.

in all, I don't blame the ibos one bit, I blame accommodating and naive Yoruba.

Yoruba Ronuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

We are tired of preaching to Yoruba jareee.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:52am On Sep 18, 2015
untainted:
I don't think the story was written by Vanguard. I clicked on the link and the publisher simply said "source, Vanguard"
The writer has sinister motives
Read again!
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:54am On Sep 18, 2015
Alcatraz001:
its the same old story.....ibos make una continue o jareee since Yoruba no wan get sense. There is a cavaet though, they might wake up soon ooo.

in all, I don't blame the ibos one bit, I blame accommodating and naive Yoruba.

Yoruba Ronuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

We are tired of preaching to Yoruba jareee.
Accommodating Yoruba in which land jare?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:55am On Sep 18, 2015
stickncarrot:

Why using Buhari boys pix? Has he sent his boys to constitute public nuisance in the market? He is good at destabilizing public peace anyways.

park well!
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:57am On Sep 18, 2015
xkris11:
This story is fake, I just called my brother to confirm the story, he said nothing like that happened in the small market.

@op, why would you post such misleading information and a very frighteningly picture just to deceive people.
Am not the journalist. meanwhile, your brother doesn't know it all.

1 Like

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:58am On Sep 18, 2015
laffytaffy1:
The best solution to all these Lagos nonsense is to just drop a freaking nuke in that filthy town
Are u sure?
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 5:59am On Sep 18, 2015
blueseacats:
I could not even finish Reading the story, the bias reporting is so frustrating to say the least.
sorry!
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by HopeAtHand: 6:01am On Sep 18, 2015
laffytaffy1:

Hehehe.. grin

Wich brand of weed did you smoke before sleeping.. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 6:08am On Sep 18, 2015
Pavore9:

l hope you are through with insulting yourself, l suggest you enquire about Psychiatric services and since anything Lagos sets you off, l suggest you try Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, New Haven, Enugu, it is opposite St. Mulumba Catholic Church, New Haven, it will not be difficult to locate.

l leave you in the Lord's hands with this. Psalm 109:17-20

17 He loved to curse; let curses come upon him! He did not delight in blessing; may it be far from him!
18 He clothed himself with cursing as his coat; may it soak into his body like water, like oil into his bones!
19 May it be like a garment that he wraps around him, like a belt that he puts on every day!
20 May this be the reward of my accusers from the Lord, of those who speak evil against my life!
Pastor!
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 6:09am On Sep 18, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Hehehe.. grin

grin
HopeAtHand:

Hehehe.. grin

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by cooljude(m): 6:14am On Sep 18, 2015
Firstly that pics was not taken from Egbeda. I am not disputing whether their was a disagreement but the way the bias reporter excallated the situation is quite worrisome. This report should be thrown into a waste bin because the writer has a sinister motive.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Nobody: 6:16am On Sep 18, 2015
CyberWolf:
The Igbos were welcomed with open arms grin cheesy grin
Yes o they where welcomed wit open hand and there money collected from them

9 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 6:19am On Sep 18, 2015
IamAtribalist:
cool The amala-eaters are seeing what the abokis have seen a long time ago, namely the akpu-eating flattheads are not to be trusted. Give them an inch they take a mile, give them a yard, they take a mile. Biafra will not come until the amala-eaters uproot those flattheads from Lagos. Until you deal with the chestbeaters they will never recognize how to show respect to others. Go to Kano now and see how nice and humble these flattheads have become. They will beating their chests until aboki started macheting them one by one. In Kano (and the North in general), you see the flattheads going about their business with humility and very little chestbeating(if any at all)- they dare not try any stupid nonsense.

Haven't said all these, lets not forget that the amala eaters and the akpu-eating flattheads are both a nuisance that need to shut up or go away.

Its the tribalist signing off.
Hmmmmm
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by betty202020(m): 6:21am On Sep 18, 2015
OP ur write up is another article that heat up the polity. did u allot the shops free of charge? is it not a source of revenue to the egbeda govt and state at large? are they not paying their security dues? despite the fact that u talk of security, are there no cases of breaking shops? go to hell with ur tribalistic article. ur brothers whose only source of livelihood is driving in abia state where given free hand to the extent they have started cloning drivers license and forging of vehicle particulars. are they not accomodated? did any yoruba man has house in the east? are they not leaving in a house built by another man who collects rents and did not beat their chest of accomodating yoruba? are yoruba drivers not formenting problems in abia motor parks that is being settled internally without bringing it to nairaland? when did aspiring to be market chairman become a problem? well its only in yorubaland that voting or aspiring to be voted by non-indigen is a crime.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by zendy: 6:32am On Sep 18, 2015
heavenstorm:

You re not just mad but an accursed goat... Cos ur fada bought land frm a grand senile old fool that makes u an indigent? Answer me foolish ibo boy.... Mad grasshoppers... Useless vermins... Unredeemable parasites... It shall not be well with ur day nd night... To the useless hungry Yoruba idiots dat keep selling there accursed land shebi una Don see am now... Common ibo parasites doing bragadoccio over things u re not suppose to grant them at first...

Mechie onu! Shut up! Your fellow Yorubas know how to shout 'one Nigeria' but don't know how to practice it. I have news for you. Since you Yorubas want one Nigeria, you will get it Igbo style. There is nothing like Yoruba land, what we have is Nigeria and who owns what. I'm an Igbo man, one day, I may buy the palace of the Alafin of Oyo. And when I do, I'm going to fly a Biafran flag on top of it so that we all can enjoy one Nigeria together

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by laffytaffy1: 6:34am On Sep 18, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Hehehe.. grin

I grow my own personal stash in the Colorado Rockies, if you ever in Denver look me up so we can smoke a joint.
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 18, 2015
betty202020:
OP ur write up is another article that heat up the polity. did u allot the shops free of charge? is it not a source of revenue to the egbeda govt and state at large? are they not paying their security dues? despite the fact that u talk of security, are there no cases of breaking shops? go to hell with ur tribalistic article. ur brothers whose only source of livelihood is driving in abia state where given free hand to the extent they have started cloning drivers license and forging of vehicle particulars. are they not accomodated? did any yoruba man has house in the east? are they not leaving in a house built by another man who collects rents and did not beat their chest of accomodating yoruba? are yoruba drivers not formenting problems in abia motor parks that is being settled internally without bringing it to nairaland? when did aspiring to be market chairman become a problem? well its only in yorubaland that voting or aspiring to be voted by non-indigen is a crime.

na una fault? I blame we yorubas especially our leadership for this.

All Tinubu is concerned about is gaining the whole World while we are losing Lagos.

I thank God people are now waking up.

OPC sef don follow money go.......Gain Adams disappointed ALL Yoruba's when he followed Jonathan last elections.

if OPC can get it's act back then the problem will be settled once and for all.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by laffytaffy1: 6:37am On Sep 18, 2015
olaolulazio:

Are u sure?

Hell yah I'm sure, do you have a problem with that ?
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by IceDude(m): 6:57am On Sep 18, 2015
Our elders say when mad person don kolo enta market nai be say the madness don move to permanent site be that o......So Igbos/Yorubas don finally move this their incessant fight 4rm Nairaland enta market? undecided.........Ok o, una wel don.
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by xkris11(m): 7:16am On Sep 18, 2015
olaolulazio:

Am not the journalist. meanwhile, your brother doesn't know it all.

Seriously, I just called someone stay close to the market and you here posting trash.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by olaolulazio(m): 7:26am On Sep 18, 2015
IceDude:
Our elders say when mad person don kolo enta market nai be say the madness don move to permanent site be that o......So Igbos/Yorubas don finally move this their incessant fight 4rm Nairaland enta market? undecided.........Ok o, una wel don.
na so
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by tonychristopher: 7:31am On Sep 18, 2015
Pavore9:

l hope you are through with insulting yourself, l suggest you enquire about Psychiatric services and since anything Lagos sets you off, l suggest you try Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, New Haven, Enugu, it is opposite St. Mulumba Catholic Church, New Haven, it will not be difficult to locate.

l leave you in the Lord's hands with this. Psalm 109:17-20

17 He loved to curse; let curses come upon him! He did not delight in blessing; may it be far from him!
18 He clothed himself with cursing as his coat; may it soak into his body like water, like oil into his bones!
19 May it be like a garment that he wraps around him, like a belt that he puts on every day!
20 May this be the reward of my accusers from the Lord, of those who speak evil against my life!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Kingspin(m): 7:37am On Sep 18, 2015
Jealous, evious suffering in their greed. Some people are naturely lazy and want to reap where they never sow. Shamefull. You ride on your enemies.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by Sijo01(f): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2015
They clash in the market, government, churches even on nairaland. Smh for you people.
Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by menix(m): 7:42am On Sep 18, 2015
Zooish journalism...

Well if the yoruba and igbo claims superior, let them nominate a leader each and go out to vote who wins..

Buh sure this will not count as exploitation have been the watch word of the South West yorubas..

13 Likes

Re: Igbo, Yoruba Clash Over Leadership At Lagos Market by passionate88: 7:43am On Sep 18, 2015
Ma wa to this two groups of people. Two eternal enemies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Criticizes Osinbajo, Hails Tinubu / Chadian And Nigerian Airforce Carry Out Airstrikes Against Boko Haram (Photos) / Kids, Market Women Rock All Eyes On The Judiciary Polo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.