Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,146 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash (56515 Views)

Yoruba And Hausa Fight In Mile 12 Lagos (Graphic Photos) / Yoruba Vs Hausa Fight In Mile 12, Lagos (Photos) / Graphic! Killings Continue Unabated In PLATEAU State, Under The Watch Of STF Co (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 05, 2016

Lagos: Killings continue in Mile 12 ethnic clash

ON MARCH 5, 20164:57 AMIN NEWSCOMMENTS
By  Evelyn Usman, Bose Adelaja and Monsuru Olowoopejo

Some parts of the   Mile 12 market and environs in Kosofe Local Government Area of Lagos, yesterday, were tension-soaked  following fresh killings by armed hoodlums suspected to be from the Northern part of the country. Four persons were reported killed in the renewed midnight ethnic clash which started on Wednesday night. Saturday Vanguard gathered that in spite of the curfew imposed in the area, some armed men arrived at  the early hours of yesterday through the canal and destroyed some shops in the market. Some homeless persons sleeping in the market and adjourning streets were suspected to have been killed.

Ketu-traders
A resident, who simply gave his name as Oluwatimileyin, said: “ The Hausa men  crossed the Agilinti river with canoe and attacked residents of an estate at Isheri North, last night. They even burnt some buildings”.

Irked by the invasion, some armed  Yoruba  youths  converged close to the market in readiness for another clash at about 1pm.  The irate youths, who chanted war songs attempted to invade the market and destroy  shops belonging to  Hausa traders.  But they were dispersed by security operatives with tear gas cannisters.

Consequently, residents in the affected streets have been fleeing their abodes, following alleged threats by some Hausa youths to set their houses on fire at midnight.  Also, Hausa residents in the area have abandoned their homes for fear of being caught in the ethnic war. The popular Mile 12 market  was Thursday, turned into a theatre of war, during which no fewer than 12 persons were killed and several others injured. What started like a storm in a tea cup on Tuesday, snowballed into a big fracas two days later.

The  ongoing crisis which began with a verbal confrontation  took a violent twist  after a commercial motorcyclist  popularly called okada hit a female trader. Consequently,  the popular Mile 12 market was  shut by the state government, with curfew imposed on four neighbouring streets:  Maidan, Agilinti 1, Agilinti 2 and Oniyanrin, close to the market.

How it happened

According to eye witnesses’ account, a commercial motorcyclist from the northern part of the country who was riding against traffic  hit one of the residents, a Yoruba woman who sustained severe injuries. This attracted sympathy from co-residents, who argued that she should be taken to a nearby hospital at the expense of the rider.

The Okada rider bluntly refused the idea and called his colleagues from the same ethnic group, during which a fight ensued.  This matter was amicably settled by some community leaders. Unfortunately, the victim passed on the following day, a development that drew the anger of the woman’s friends and subsequently led to fresh crisis on Thursday.

On that Thursday most of those who became victims of the clash were commuters either going or returning from work. Sensing danger, the Okada rider’s friends and other co-okada riders from the Northern extraction re-mobilised and positioned themselves in various places wielding dangerous weapons to attack the Yoruba. The news spread such that some hoodlums took advantage of the situation by proceeding to Mile 12 market to vandalise and loot the traders’ shops.

On noticing the development, the Hausa also strategised to torch and vandalise vehicles and buildings and by the time the dust settled, no fewer than 12 lives were lost while 12 buildings, 10 vehicles and other valuable items were destroyed.

Victims’ accounts

Some of the victims, who spoke to Saturday Vanguard, condemned the belated response of the Police at Mile 12 Division. “The  Police at Mile 12 did not respond on time and when they eventually arrived the scene, they could not stop the raging war,’’ Mr Igba Andrew, one of the victims, who was badly injured  and who also had his two-year-old son  kidnapped during the incident said: “I was at home when some Hausas came with guns, broken bottles and matchetes and forcefully took my son away and up till now, his whereabouts remain unknown,”

A clergy, Pastor Adekunle Tanimowo, had his only building, church and car razed. ‘’I am left with nothing and only God can restore me. I was in the church preparing for the day’s event when my wife screamed in the house and I rushed to attend to her but to our surprise, some men were seen afar off conversing in Hausa language and we sensed danger. Without wasting time, we fled the scene with our children and while hiding somewhere, I got a call from somebody who alerted me that all our properties have been torched by the attackers.”

They left me when I spoke Hausa – Survivor

Another victim, Mr Kunle Afariogun, who escaped death by the whiskers said he ran into the hoodlums on his way back from work. ‘’Thank God I understand Hausa language, if not, only God knows what would have happened to me. I was on my way home when I ran into them and they asked me if I were an Hausa man and I answered in the affirmative. But they were not convinced and asked me to start speaking in Hausa Language which I did and they responded in Hausa Language ‘he is one of us, don’t kill him.’’’

A resident of Agilinti, Mrs Oluwakemi Ologbon, who is presently seeking refuge in Ikorodu, said she was scared to return to the area. ‘’My husband is taking refuge with his friend while I am taking refuge with my elder sister. Yesterday’s experience was a signal that Boko Haram has infiltrated Lagos and the government must act fast. Thank God I escaped with all my children but what about so many people who have lost their means of livelihood? Six buildings to my house were razed when I fled with my family but my husband decided to stay elsewhere while we all came to Ikorodu,” she said.

Residents flee homes over possible reprisal attacks

When Saturday Vanguard visited the community, it was gathered that many residents had left their homes in order to avoid been lynched by the hoodlums. A resident, Motunrayo, who spoke to Saturday Vanguard on phone said: “I have left for Mowe. And I am not the only one who has left the community. Some members of the community had gone as far as Ibadan. I don’t want to die. I believe that going to Mowe will help me evade any attack.”

On how she escaped, she said: “We moved through the bush path. And on getting to Isheri-Osun axis, we boarded vehicles to our respective locations.” Motunrayo noted that they would not return until there was strong assurance from the government and the traditional rulers of both communities that normalcy has returned.

Ambode meets traditional rulers in crisis location

Meanwhile, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, yesterday, met with traditional leaders of Mile 12 and environs, to find ways of resolving the ongoing fracas, 24 hours after declaring curfew in the area. At the meeting held behind closed doors in Alausa Secretariat, Ikeja, sources said that Ambode who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Mr. Tunji Bello, asked the traditional rulers to instruct their people to sheathe their swords in order for peace to return to the community.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that the Governor assured the traditional rulers that the government was working with the security operatives to end the frequent face-off between the Hausa and Yoruba communities in the axis. In an interview with Saturday Vanguard, Baale of Maidan-Mile 12, Babatunde Ogunjobi, said that the crux of our meeting was on the ongoing crisis in Mile 12, saying “we used the opportunity to express our displeasure over the crisis rocking our community.’’

However, armed security men have been strategically positioned to ward off any reprisal attack. Saturday Vanguard gathered over 50 persons were arrested yesterday in connection with the crisis and were currently being detained at the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department,SCIID. Spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command , Dolapo Badmus, said there was no fresh killing yesterday.

She said “the police have dominated the place since Thursday. We are also assisted by the Nigerian Army. We have almost 141 people arrested in connection with the case and we will charge them to court. The suspects were arrested since yesterday (Thursday ) up to the early hours of this morning (yesterday) . Investigation is still ongoing” http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/lagos-killings-continue-in-mile-12-ethnic-clash/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by HungerBAD: 7:50am On Mar 05, 2016
Let us give PEACE a chance.

The guy below me and on top of me chukwudi44, it is too early for you to plant your Vegetable of hate in this Garden.

Wait until the afternoon.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 05, 2016
This is too bad!! Aboki.s would kill people in Kano and come here in Lagos to kill southerners again!! Where is that useless Oba Akiolu to come and threaten them with lagoon.

307 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by babyfaceafrica: 7:52am On Mar 05, 2016
Lienus
Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 05, 2016
Virginfinder,Superstar, etc,your attention is urgently needed at mile 12

10 Likes

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by dokyOloye: 7:55am On Mar 05, 2016
Where is Oba Lilwayne?
Why has he not invoked his famous lagoon curse?

193 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Outofsync(m): 7:57am On Mar 05, 2016
the way it's going, it is only a matter of time that Hausas become persona non grata in Yorubaland

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by politricks: 7:58am On Mar 05, 2016
dokyOloye:
Where is Oba Lilwayne?
Why has he not invoked his famous lagoon curse?
The lagoon is meant for the ipob's, we don't want to compromise.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Oche211(m): 8:10am On Mar 05, 2016
Give peace a chance
Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Agunechemba1(m): 8:13am On Mar 05, 2016
chukwudi44:
This is too bad!! Aboki.s would kill people in Kano and come here in Lagos to kill southerners again!! Where is that useless Oba Akiolu to come and threaten them with lagoon.

Don't mind that jobless oba. His slave masters are killing his people are he is yet to utter a word.

Once a slave.........

149 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 8:14am On Mar 05, 2016
HungerBAD:
Let us give PEACE a chance.

The guy below me and on top of me chukwudi44, it is too early for you to plant your Vegetable of hate in this Garden.

Wait until the afternoon.
I never knew you know what love is yet 98% of your posts on this site is all about hate messages!!!

160 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by idupaul: 8:19am On Mar 05, 2016
Kai this is really bad.the yoruba nation needs to wake up and stop hausas from carrying out attacks on its own soil...can yorubas carry out such a brazen attack in Kano. .the answer is capital no

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by ZZ22: 8:20am On Mar 05, 2016
They wont understand it when we say "lagos is no mans land" how can you tell me visitors came to your house and start killing anyone in sight hence your running from them in your own house... Lagos is still a no mans land

147 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 05, 2016
chukwudi44:

His Royal uselessness is busy thinking of how to reverse APC from power na grin

He day see every way day happen la..

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by ErasmusCOMP: 8:24am On Mar 05, 2016
Violence is an ill wind that blows no one any good.
It's unfortunate 55 years after independence and 102 years of been a nation, football seems to be our focal point of unity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by oduastates: 8:25am On Mar 05, 2016
I have been saying this for so long . Whenever the government tries to gentrify the land , the so called Yoruba activist move out enmass .
Okada, street trading ,slums, buildings without approval or planning are so of the stuffs that can be used to deter those who frankly have no business living amongst decent people.
Apart from minorities from the south and middle belt(th who plug in perfectly into our ways ,It is impossible to integrate folks now. The stupidittty of too much liberalism.
A lot of these folks were born destitute .they lack Any concept of modernity and city living .
While the leadership navigate the treacherous waters of Nigerian politics , they should not lose sight of the main cause .
That is getting the yoruba nation out of the country .
And to those canvassing for one useless paper from Jonathan's conference, that paper is dead on arrival.
I cannot believe that while others are conspiring, SW leaders are not taking the Bulls by the horn .
There is no doubt in my mind that the leadership need to activate a fallback position.
That position must start by activating a purposeful move towards independence .

17 Likes

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 05, 2016
ErasmusCOMP:
Violence is an ill wind that blows no one any good.
It's unfortunate 55 years after independence and 102 years of been a nation, football seems to be our focal point of unity.

**** That's why Angolan president drove the entire hausa people out of Angola, them and thier islam, he drove them all out! Destroyed thier mosque and everything.

Angola sees nigeria as an hausa / islamic nation. This is why going to Angola now as a Nigerian is one of the most difficult things you can ever imagine.

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by idupaul: 8:34am On Mar 05, 2016
gimakon:

You haven't seen anything yet. Na una vote them come power na, sit and wait let them involve thier Fulani herdsmen brothers, you will then see what u haven't seen before

I de tell U and Lagos is surrounded by by Fulani herdsmen men during this time of the year

7 Likes

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 05, 2016
idupaul:

I de tell U and Lagos is surrounded by by Fulani herdsmen men during this time of the year

Chilax,na genesis be this. I warned them on here of this Hausas, no kain insult way them no gimme for nairaland here. Today as I said it, it's how it's happening. These people are not friends to yorubas, they are not friends to anyone. Moving power back to north is to expect woes like this. Ignore this wailing on here. Igbos are thier problem, they should deal with it

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by iconize(m): 8:39am On Mar 05, 2016
chukwudi44:

Some members of the community had gone as far as Ibadan. I don’t want to die. I believe that going to Mowe will help me evade any attack.”

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2016
why are yorubas avoiding this existential thread like plague?

89 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Dino Melaye In ABU To Collect His Certificate (Photos) / Umahi Completes 5th Flyover In Ebonyi, 4 Others In Progress (Photos) / 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.