Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

What Is The Definition Of Evil? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Definition Of Evil? (2309 Views)

True Definition Of Sin. / Crying :'( :'( What Manner Of Evil Is This / The True Definition Of Athiesm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2015
What is the definition of evil? What does the Bible say about evil? Does evil exist?
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 2:36pm On Sep 18, 2015
Evil is any Adverse event or Mal-intent that is directed against Man in his attempts to Fulfil his True Being.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 18, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
What is the definition of evil? What does the Bible say about evil? Does evil exist?

Evil is knocking down the tower of babel because the bible gosh was scared humans will find it,killing the innocent first born of Egyptian by the bible god "apparently" and killing your son to please yourself. Tell me what could be more evil!

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2015
PastorAIO:

Evil is any Adverse event or Mal-intent that is directed against Man in his attempts to Fulfil his True Being.

What does the Holy Scriptures say about it? undecided
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 1:51am On Sep 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

What does the Holy Scriptures say about it? undecided

My contribution is to give you my definition of evil. What the bible has to say, or whether it exists, are not points that I care to address.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by orisa37: 11:39am On Sep 20, 2015
Evil is Selfishness. And this includes, acting, interacting and moving badly, privately and secretly to the detriment of fellow humans. Evil is the exact opposite of Holy, Pray and Word, which is Light, Good and Life and are the Tools of Righteousness. Evil is not Righteous. It is evil to stall democratic(legislative) work, however temporarily, to allow selfish, undemocratic and domineering actions to be taken.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:19am On Sep 21, 2015
PastorAIO:

My contribution is to give you my definition of evil. What the bible has to say, or whether it exists, are not points that I care to address.

Thanks for your contributions. smiley
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by orisa37: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2015
Anything done physically and spiritually to hurt other. Also a doer of evil is evil.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by tartar9(m): 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2015
xtianity
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10am On Sep 22, 2015
orisa37:

Anything done physically and spiritually to hurt other. Also a doer of evil is evil.

The missing letter in evil is the 'D' wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:11am On Sep 22, 2015
tartar9:

xtianity

What does the letter 'x' stand for? why are you afraid to write or mention it?
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by orisa37: 8:58am On Sep 22, 2015
When you add the "D", you get Devil and that is the "Subject". Evil on its own is the object of its maker. Devil makes evil.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
orisa37:

When you add the "grin", you get Devil and that is the "Subject". Evil on its own is the object of its maker. Devil makes evil.

Good job. cheesy
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by davien(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Good job. cheesy
So by logical deduction god created the devil as a tool to propagate evil...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
davien:

So by logical deduction god created the devil as a tool to propagate evil...

God created angels not devils. cool
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by davien(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

God created angels not devils. cool
And is the devil not the first rebellious angel? cheesy

If in your logic things cease being gods handiwork' after they change then the universe isn't gods handiwork' since it's changed over the years..lol grin
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:28pm On Sep 22, 2015
davien:

And is the devil not the first rebellious angel? cheesy

If in your logic things cease being gods handiwork' after they change then the universe isn't gods handiwork' since it's changed over the years..lol grin

I might as well say that your parents did not bring you up as an atheist, that was your own making. cool
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:04pm On Sep 24, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

Evil is what is morally wrong, sinful, or wicked. Evil is the result of bad actions stemming from a bad character. Biblically, evil is anything that contradicts the holy nature of God (see Psalm 51:4). Evil behaviour can be thought of as falling into two categories: evil committed against other people (murder, theft, adultery) and evil committed against God (unbelief, idolatry, blasphemy). From the disobedience in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:9) to the wickedness of Babylon the Great (Revelation 18:2), the Bible speaks of the existence of evil.

For many centuries Christians have struggled with both the existence and the nature of evil. Most people would acknowledge that evil is real and has always had devastating effects on our world. From the sexual abuse of children to the horrific terrorist attacks on 9/11, evil continues to rear its ugly head in our own time. Many people are left wondering what exactly is evil and why does it exist.

The existence of evil has been used as a weapon by opponents of theism—and Christian theism in particular—for some time. The so-called "problem of evil" has been the subject of various arguments by atheists in an attempt to demonstrate that a God who is good simply cannot exist. By implying that God must be the creator of evil, God's holy character has been called into question. There have been many arguments used to indict God as the cause of evil. Here is one of them:

1) God is the creator of everything that exists.
2) Evil exists.
3) Therefore, God is the creator of evil.

The logic of this syllogism is sound. The conclusion follows logically from the premises. But does this syllogism demonstrate that God is the creator of evil? The problem with this argument is its second premise, that evil is something. For evil is not a thing; it is a lack or privation of a good thing that God made. As Christian philosopher J. P. Moreland has noted, "Evil is a lack of goodness. It is goodness spoiled. You can have good without evil, but you cannot have evil without good."

Goodness has existed as an attribute of God from all eternity. While God is perfectly holy and just, He is also perfectly good. Just as God has always existed, so too has goodness as it is a facet of God's holy character. The same cannot be said for evil. Evil came into being with the rebellion of Satan and subsequently entered the physical universe with the fall of Adam. As Christian apologist Greg Koukl has said, "Human freedom was used in such a way as to diminish goodness in the world, and that diminution, that lack of goodness, that is what we call evil." When God created Adam, He created him good, and He also created him free.

However, in creating Adam free, God indirectly created the possibility of evil, while not creating evil itself. When Adam chose to disobey God, he made this possibility a reality. The same scenario had previously played out when Satan fell by failing to serve and obey God. So it turns out that evil is not a direct creation of God; rather, evil is the result of persons (both angelic and human) exercising their freedom wrongly.

While evil is certainly real, it is important to recognize that evil does not have existence in and of itself. Rather, it only exists as a privation (or a parasite) on the good. It exists in the same way that a wound exists on an arm or as rust exists on a car. The rust cannot exist on its own any more than cold can exist without the existence of heat or darkness can exist without the existence of light.

Despite the horrible effects of evil on our world, the Christian believer can take comfort in the words of the Lord Jesus Christ recorded for us in the Gospel of John, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). More importantly, we look forward with great anticipation to our home in heaven where the ultimate evil, death, will finally be destroyed along with the "mourning, crying and pain" which it inevitably produces (Revelation 21:4).

http://www.gotquestions.org/definition-of-evil.html
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
tartar9:

xtianity

Christianity is different from xtianity. Do you copy? cool
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
One definition of evil is the Nairaland "religion" forum. It's mostly just a pit of the devil.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2016

One definition of evil is the Nairaland "religion" forum. It's mostly just a pit of the devil.

There's no point cursing the darkness when you can just light a candle. cool
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 7:04pm On Mar 03, 2016
I see that you cannot respond to my answer to your question.

PastorAIO:

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:13pm On Mar 03, 2016
PastorAIO:

I see that you cannot respond to my answer to your question.

Your opinion is not of any use to me. I would rather prefer to know what the Bible says about it because that is where I take my authority from not from the ideas of fallible sinful men. smiley
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 9:11pm On Mar 03, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Your opinion is not of any use to me. I would rather prefer to know what the Bible says about it because that is where I take my authority from not from the[b] ideas of fallible sinful men.[/b] smiley

Sir, you cannot escape from the ideas of fallible sinful men.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Rilwayne001: 9:38pm On Mar 03, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Your opinion is not of any use to me. I would rather prefer to know what the Bible says about it because that is where I take my authority from not from the ideas of fallible sinful men. smiley

Idiot, aren't the anonymous writers of the Bible fallible sinful clowns undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Kay17: 8:42pm On Mar 07, 2016
PastorAIO:

Stepping aside from theology, my understanding of Nietzsche's thoughts on evil:

Slave morality through its resentment converts what's its oppressors find to be good to themselves, into evil. For example he makes the analogy of the eagle and lamb. The lamb expresses slave morality by resenting the strength of the eagle. Such strength is interpreted as evil. Therefore evil is a subjective construct of the slave moralizers.

While the eagle finds whatever means to exercise its energies as good. Hunting and flying are good. Bad is now a defective state. For example physical weakness, poverty, impotence. These states are condition of the slave moralizers who worship their impotence, poverty and weakness as good.

Good is passive for the slaves while evil is active.

Good is active for the nobles (eagles) while bad is passive.

From his Gay Science, he says Evil men are the different expressions of the same instincts shared with other men. So I think eventually he takes good to be some refinement of one's instincts. Rather than the raw fulfillment of the same instincts.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
PastorAIO:

Sir, you cannot escape from the ideas of fallible sinful men.

The ideas of fallible sinful men are just fairytales for adults that they are trying to force upon the gullible.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 11:03pm On Mar 15, 2016
Kay17:

Stepping aside from theology, my understanding of Nietzsche's thoughts on evil:

Slave morality through its resentment converts what's its oppressors find to be good to themselves, into evil. For example he makes the analogy of the eagle and lamb. The lamb expresses slave morality by resenting the strength of the eagle. Such strength is interpreted as evil. Therefore evil is a subjective construct of the slave moralizers.

While the eagle finds whatever means to exercise its energies as good. Hunting and flying are good. Bad is now a defective state. For example physical weakness, poverty, impotence. These states are condition of the slave moralizers who worship their impotence, poverty and weakness as good.

Good is passive for the slaves while evil is active.

Good is active for the nobles (eagles) while bad is passive.

From his Gay Science, he says Evil men are the different expressions of the same instincts shared with other men. So I think eventually he takes good to be some refinement of one's instincts. Rather than the raw fulfillment of the same instincts.

It seems that Nietzsche sees morality as a means to justify one's condition or way of behaviour.

While I agree that people have many different ways of justifying things that they were going to do anyway, or conditions that they are in, I think his categorisations are too simplistic.
I've met many people, and I'm sure you have too, that once they realise that they've been the victims of a joke they immediately go out to look for another naive person to lure into the same joke so that they won't be the only victims.
Too many people when they have been victims only go on to feel justified in victimising other people. It's as if their victimhood is the green light they need to wreak terror on others. (Israeli Zionists might be an example in point).

In fact i've come to the conclusion from my years of experience with humans that it is those individuals that go around feeling sorry for themselves, feeling that life has been too tough for them, that are the most likely to be callous selfish hateful individuals. You can already see the selfishness in the way that they always talk about how other people were victimising them and how unfortunate their lot has been as if they are the only people on this planet that are suffering.
Anybody that can look around this world and conclude that he/she is the one that is the worst victim of life has all that it takes to be a nasty Terrorist.

If one takes a closer look at the 'Slave' societies that Nietzsche is talking about what you will likely find is that it too is stratified. The More oppression the Master race perpetrate on the Slave races, the more oppression the upper echelons of the Slave races will perpetrate on the lower echelons. It follows that being a victim does not lead you to have a Slave morality endorsing weakness like Nietzsche proposed but rather it makes you more likely to embrace oppression yourself.

Nietzsche was trying to have a dig at christianity but I believe that he failed woefully in his thinking here cos he let his distaste for christianity cloud his judgment.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Ganjafama(m): 9:47am On Mar 16, 2016
Evil is killing Onan because he chose not to father children through his brother's widow. Evil is ordering the annihilation of different tribes, including babies and giving their lands to to your own people. Evil is inciting David to number Israel only to start killing people numbering up to 70 thousand. I can go on and on. Evil is Jehovah personified. I challenge anybody to pinpoint one evil Satan commited in the bible.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Kay17: 11:30am On Mar 17, 2016
PastorAIO:

It seems that Nietzsche sees morality as a means to justify one's condition or way of behaviour.

While I agree that people have many different ways of justifying things that they were going to do anyway, or conditions that they are in, I think his categorisations are too simplistic.
I've met many people, and I'm sure you have too, that once they realise that they've been the victims of a joke they immediately go out to look for another naive person to lure into the same joke so that they won't be the only victims.
Too many people when they have been victims only go on to feel justified in victimising other people. It's as if their victimhood is the green light they need to wreak terror on others. (Israeli Zionists might be an example in point).

In fact i've come to the conclusion from my years of experience with humans that it is those individuals that go around feeling sorry for themselves, feeling that life has been too tough for them, that are the most likely to be callous selfish hateful individuals. You can already see the selfishness in the way that they always talk about how other people were victimising them and how unfortunate their lot has been as if they are the only people on this planet that are suffering.
Anybody that can look around this world and conclude that he/she is the one that is the worst victim of life has all that it takes to be a nasty Terrorist.

If one takes a closer look at the 'Slave' societies that Nietzsche is talking about what you will likely find is that it too is stratified. The More oppression the Master race perpetrate on the Slave races, the more oppression the upper echelons of the Slave races will perpetrate on the lower echelons. It follows that being a victim does not lead you to have a Slave morality endorsing weakness like Nietzsche proposed but rather it makes you more likely to embrace oppression yourself.

Nietzsche was trying to have a dig at christianity but I believe that he failed woefully in his thinking here cos he let his distaste for christianity cloud his judgment.

He was probably making a psychological inquiry into the mind of the Christian. He kept making comparisons between Christianity and Greek culture.

I share his view that arguments about the existence of God outside a religious context is hopeless and useless.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by ifenes(m): 12:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
Evil could be an intention to do harm to others.

OP want Bible verses that backed the word Evil.

According to Exodus 32:14 ..... And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

What can be worse when the god of the Bible is a regular patronage of the word "Evil"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by mustymatic(m): 9:17pm On Mar 17, 2016
If Christians don't do evil acts or sin, wat is d point of their "Jesus" dying? So, in other words: evil is Christianity

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Victorious Praying Women Ministry / Shiloh 2016 Update – You Can Watch Shiloh 2016 From The Shiloh Ground. / Karma Strikes Bishop Eddie Long, Black Christians Are Full Of Pedophiles.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.