Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,372 members, 7,829,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

What Is The Definition Of Evil? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Definition Of Evil? (2346 Views)

True Definition Of Sin. / Crying :'( :'( What Manner Of Evil Is This / The True Definition Of Athiesm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Nobody: 3:05am On Mar 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
What is the definition of evil? What does the Bible say about evil? Does evil exist?

Evil is anything that corrupts the glory of God. Anything that is not righteous, truth, good - which is what glorifies God - will do that.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 11:01am On Mar 18, 2016
Kay17:

He was probably making a psychological inquiry into the mind of the Christian. He kept making comparisons between Christianity and Greek culture.

I share his view that arguments about the existence of God outside a religious context is hopeless and useless.

Even then I feel that he erred. The stuff about meekness and 'resist not evil' was written in the bible in the first century CE. However if you look at christian history what you find is that christians are only 'meek' in the face of a greater power like the authority of imperial Rome. When it comes to dealing with others who are weaker than them like other christians less organised all the meekness flies out of the window. They castigate, they hound, they hurl polemics at each other. In fact I can guess that nearly half of christian literature is polemical in nature.
Then what happens when they rise in power up to the imperial level. The lack of meekness is exhibited even more. They destroy pagan temples and drive non-christians out of the cities (hence they are called pagans cos they could only thrive in the countryside). The Orthodoxers attack the Arians after Rome fell, and vice versa. Polemics polemics polemics shaaaaaaa!! Even between Orthodoxers, they fought to split into east and west. Then They fought crusades. Then they fought Galileo and Copernicus and then the Reformation etc etc etc.

Where I would be more inclined to agree with Nietzsche was if he said that Slave morality was invented by the Master Race and then foisted onto the slave population in order to make them subservient. That would make much more sense to me.

Then again, one cannot rule out the possibility that there is actually a spiritual advantage in meekness and the whole notion of 'resist not evil', and humility. This is actually my belief.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention his arguments about existence of God outside of a religious context being useless and hopeless.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 11:01am On Mar 18, 2016
Muafrika2:

Evil is anything that corrupts the glory of God. Anything that is not righteous, truth, good - which is what glorifies God - will do that.

What is righteousness?
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 11:04am On Mar 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The ideas of fallible sinful men are just fairytales for adults that they are trying to force upon the gullible.

Bingo!!!
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 18, 2016
PastorAIO:

What is righteousness?
Righteousness is being in the right standing with GOD. ONLY one God, the creator of all, including the rest of the God's. By right standing I mean in total submission to him and to his precepts as far as your attitude is concerned.

One of those precepts is doing right. To do right will be to do things that are considerate to other people, and excludes things calculated to bring misery in people's lives like false accusations (which is how the devil works), unwarranted attacks, oppression, depression, etc.

Righteousness also is the giving of honour, glory and power to God. I would further define it by giving example of Unrighteousness which is not as simple as not doing the righteous, but actively involved in the opposite. Unrighteous works include the taking of honour (pride) and the fattening of the human (or spiritual) soul with acts that are usually vain. For example, speaking blasphemous words and insults towards God, telling lies/gossiping, and other forms of unwholesome speech. Also rebellion.

That is why when we have ungodly dreams, the activities prevailing in such dreams are useless, shameful, full of uncertainty. Things that are done for the sake of being vain. God hates them, and it quenches the spirit of God because it turns the glory of God into a corrupt thing that even he cannot behold. And that's how men create evil on this earth.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by Kay17: 12:47pm On Mar 18, 2016
PastorAIO:

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention his arguments about existence of God outside of a religious context being useless and hopeless.

He never really went on like our Nairaland atheists trying to disprove the existence of the Christian God as an independent fact. To him the relevance of God existed only in the mind.
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2016
PastorAIO:

Bingo!!!

Yeah, fairytales for adults is evolutionary theory. cool
Re: What Is The Definition Of Evil? by PastorAIO: 10:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
Yeah, go on then. Have the last word.

OLAADEGBU:

Yeah, fairytales for adults is evolutionary theory. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should The Hebrew Midwives Be Commended For Lying? / On the Apparent Correlation Between Religion and Social Ills / If You Could Ask God One Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.