Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,758 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

5 Things You're Doing That Drive Your Dog Crazy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 5 Things You're Doing That Drive Your Dog Crazy (969 Views)

If you think your Dog is big check this out / Is My Dog Crazy? Pls Help / GIVING YOUR DOG A NATURAL TICK BATH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Things You're Doing That Drive Your Dog Crazy by Richybang: 10:24pm On Sep 18, 2015
Do you ever wonder what your dog would say if he could talk? Do you ever wonder what’s on his mind when he looks up at you with those big, warm, brown eyes? You might be surprised to learn that what you’re doing to your dog is confusing him—maybe even driving him crazy. Here are five bad habits you need to stop before they wreck your relationship. 1. You’re trying to communicate with your dogs through words. You adopt a dog from the shelter, and you know it is not the first time he has been adopted, but you are confident you will be successful. One of your worries is that the previous owner had given the dog a name you don’t like, so you have renamed him Riley. But will that confuse him? Guess what? Dogs don’t care much whether you speak to them in Spanish, or English, or Chinese, because they don’t hear words as words, just as sounds. It’s like the way that people spell out “w-a-l-k” and “l- e-a-s-h”; they may be fooling themselves but they certainly aren’t fooling the dog. That’s one of the reasons I love being with dogs so much —because they sense something much deeper than the words you use; they also read your body language. Which is why you can’t lie to a dog. When you speak to a dog you must speak from the inside, from your mind, your heart, and your body. Otherwise he will be scratching his head with his paw, trying to figure why he can see your lips moving with strange noises coming out. 2. You treat your dog like a child. We all know those houses, right? The ones with the framed pictures of Twinkles all over the walls. Her name is embroidered on all of her pillows and emblazoned on toys of every kind, scattered from kitchen to bedroom to bath. And Twinkles’s owner never stops fawning over her as though she were a one-year-old. You can see how the human starts to get confused sometimes and starts thinking that Twinkles is a child—but of course Twinkles is under no illusions at all. She is a dog, and she wants to behave like a dog—that is in her DNA. And like all dogs, she wants to run, she loves to chase things, and she wants to use her nose to track. Your “baby” is also a pack animal and needs the structure and discipline in her life to feel fulfilled and not become frustrated. There is nothing wrong with showing your dog love, but remember: first exercise, then discipline, and finally affection. 3. Your dog doesn’t have a job and he’s bored. So many times people have come to me, worried because their dog has picked up an aggravating habit. Maybe he’s chewing the carpet, or racing in circles around the house, or showing surprising aggression. And so often the answer is the same: Your dog is getting bored—he wants something to do. Dogs aren’t born expecting to be waited on hand and foot, with meals produced whenever they are hungry; no creature in the animal world is. In the wild—from the time they are babies—dogs have to work for their food. They have to hunt it down or go hungry. I like to tell people that in Mexico, where I am from, the dogs are thin but they don’t have psychological problems. Dogs have been bred over the centuries for different jobs—from rounding up cattle to hunting to hauling. When their natural instinct is denied, they become frustrated, and that is when they start to show signs of aggressive behavior. So do what your dog asks and give him a job. Put a pack on his back when you go for walks or create obstacle courses so he can put his scent-tracking abilities to good use. You’ll see right away how happy it makes him. 4. You’re acting like your dog’s playmate, not pack leader. You’ve watched my TV shows and read my books, so you know how important it is for you to claim the role of pack leader from the time your puppy first joins the family. But then you come home, and it’s a beautiful summer evening, and your pup is telling you that she is ready to play. The next thing you know, you and your dog are racing around the back yard with a ball and all the rules have changed. At least the rules have changed in your mind— until you are ready to call it quits and go inside for dinner. How is your dog supposed to understand what has happened? You gave up on being pack leader to race into playing with her instead of making it clear that play begins only when she is calm and responsive. So now she is all turned around about who’s the boss. Remember: Being a pack leader is not a part-time occupation; it’s all the time. Your dog is always looking for consistency and structure, and without it she is going to become confused about when she is supposed to follow your directions and when you two are just buddies. 5. You’re tense and nervous around your dog Your sister-in-law is one of your least favorite people. You hate it when she comes to visit—you know she is checking out your home, and you can see the critical disdain in her face. To make matters worse, whenever she’s near Mikey, your otherwise well- behaved mixed-breed dog, he goes crazy, as if to demonstrate your poor dog-handling skills. But he doesn’t know there are problems with you and your sister-in-law; he just knows that his pack leader is tense and nervous, so he may become tense and nervous too. Our dogs are incredibly finely attuned to us—we’ve been living together almost from the beginning of time! That is why they need calm, assertive energy to relax. Remember: Dogs are predators in the wild, so if they become nervous, their fight-or- flight response is almost always more likely to be fight. Nervousness in dogs will soon come out as aggression. It is how they deal with a problem. Listen to your dogs. Listen to them carefully, for they are trying to tell you what they want. Their needs are really very simple, and if you satisfy those, you will have a happy and harmonious relationship. That is the kind of bond I have with Junior, as you can see from the photos on these pages. And I hope it will be the relationship you have with your dog.
Re: 5 Things You're Doing That Drive Your Dog Crazy by knyte(m): 8:53am On Sep 19, 2015
Richybang:
Do you ever wonder what your dog
would say if he could talk? Do you ever
wonder what’s on his mind when he
looks up at you with those big, warm,
brown eyes?
You might be surprised to learn that
what you’re doing to your dog is
confusing him—maybe even driving
him crazy. Here are five bad habits you
need to stop before they wreck your
relationship.
1. You’re trying to
communicate with your
dogs through words.
You adopt a dog from the shelter, and
you know it is not the first time he has
been adopted, but you are confident
you will be successful. One of your
worries is that the previous owner had
given the dog a name you don’t like, so
you have renamed him Riley. But will
that confuse him? Guess what? Dogs
don’t care much whether you speak to
them in Spanish, or English, or Chinese,
because they don’t hear words as
words, just as sounds. It’s like the way
that people spell out “w-a-l-k” and “l-
e-a-s-h”; they may be fooling
themselves but they certainly aren’t
fooling the dog. That’s one of the
reasons I love being with dogs so much
—because they sense something much
deeper than the words you use; they
also read your body language. Which is
why you can’t lie to a dog. When you
speak to a dog you must speak from
the inside, from your mind, your
heart, and your body. Otherwise he will
be scratching his head with his paw,
trying to figure why he can see your
lips moving with strange noises coming
out.
2. You treat your dog like a
child.
We all know those houses, right? The
ones with the framed pictures of
Twinkles all over the walls. Her name is
embroidered on all of her pillows and
emblazoned on toys of every kind,
scattered from kitchen to bedroom to
bath. And Twinkles’s owner never stops
fawning over her as though she were a
one-year-old. You can see how the
human starts to get confused
sometimes and starts thinking that
Twinkles is a child—but of course
Twinkles is under no illusions at all.
She is a dog, and she wants to behave
like a dog—that is in her DNA. And like
all dogs, she wants to run, she loves to
chase things, and she wants to use her
nose to track. Your “baby” is also a
pack animal and needs the structure
and discipline in her life to feel
fulfilled and not become frustrated.
There is nothing wrong with showing
your dog love, but remember: first
exercise, then discipline, and finally
affection.
3. Your dog doesn’t have a
job and he’s bored.
So many times people have come to
me, worried because their dog has
picked up an aggravating habit. Maybe
he’s chewing the carpet, or racing in
circles around the house, or showing
surprising aggression. And so often the
answer is the same: Your dog is getting
bored—he wants something to do.
Dogs aren’t born expecting to be
waited on hand and foot, with meals
produced whenever they are hungry;
no creature in the animal world is. In
the wild—from the time they are
babies—dogs have to work for their
food. They have to hunt it down or go
hungry. I like to tell people that in
Mexico, where I am from, the dogs are
thin but they don’t have psychological
problems. Dogs have been bred over
the centuries for different jobs—from
rounding up cattle to hunting to
hauling. When their natural instinct is
denied, they become frustrated, and
that is when they start to show signs of
aggressive behavior. So do what your
dog asks and give him a job. Put a pack
on his back when you go for walks or
create obstacle courses so he can put
his scent-tracking abilities to good use.
You’ll see right away how happy it
makes him.
4. You’re acting like your
dog’s playmate, not pack
leader.
You’ve watched my TV shows and read
my books, so you know how important
it is for you to claim the role of pack
leader from the time your puppy first
joins the family. But then you come
home, and it’s a beautiful summer
evening, and your pup is telling you
that she is ready to play. The next
thing you know, you and your dog are
racing around the back yard with a ball
and all the rules have changed. At least
the rules have changed in your mind—
until you are ready to call it quits and
go inside for dinner. How is your dog
supposed to understand what has
happened? You gave up on being pack
leader to race into playing with her
instead of making it clear that play
begins only when she is calm and
responsive. So now she is all turned
around about who’s the boss.
Remember: Being a pack leader is not
a part-time occupation; it’s all the
time. Your dog is always looking for
consistency and structure, and without
it she is going to become confused
about when she is supposed to follow
your directions and when you two are
just buddies.
5. You’re tense and
nervous around your dog
Your sister-in-law is one of your least
favorite people. You hate it when she
comes to visit—you know she is
checking out your home, and you can
see the critical disdain in her face. To
make matters worse, whenever she’s
near Mikey, your otherwise well-
behaved mixed-breed dog, he goes
crazy, as if to demonstrate your poor
dog-handling skills. But he doesn’t
know there are problems with you and
your sister-in-law; he just knows that
his pack leader is tense and nervous,
so he may become tense and nervous
too. Our dogs are incredibly finely
attuned to us—we’ve been living
together almost from the beginning of
time! That is why they need calm,
assertive energy to relax. Remember:
Dogs are predators in the wild, so if
they become nervous, their fight-or-
flight response is almost always more
likely to be fight. Nervousness in dogs
will soon come out as aggression. It is
how they deal with a problem.
Listen to your dogs. Listen to them
carefully, for they are trying to tell you
what they want. Their needs are really
very simple, and if you satisfy those,
you will have a happy and harmonious
relationship. That is the kind of bond I
have with Junior, as you can see from
the photos on these pages. And I hope
it will be the relationship you have
with your dog.
You wrote all of this?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help/contribution On My Sick Dog / Male Caucasian For Sale / Best Simple Tips To Stop Dog Barking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.