Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria (3703 Views)

#SarakiCCT: Zakari Mohammed Responsible For Blackout During Saraki's CCT Trial / Apc Claims Buhari Is Responsible For The U-17 World Cup Victory / What Is The Present State Of Electricity In Your City/state (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by md4real(m): 3:19pm On Apr 14, 2009
simply put, the COLONIAL MASTERS for bringing together a complex, vast and heterogenous entity like nigeria.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by joshO: 3:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
The general attitude of Nigerians to life is another reason why the country is in a mess. Right from our churches to the Universities to Aso Rock, Independent thinking is hardly encouraged. You're not supposed to ask questions. Just follow the 'rules' and keep quiet.

This is the best comment I've seen in a while. I don't blame our leaders at all, as I believe a people deserve the leaders they get! We seem programmed to accept mediocracy, no questions asked. In most countries, Yar (like most past and present political leaders) would have been chased out of office by now as he's been a complete failure, effective only in the protection of  a thieving elite ( the likes James Ibori cool).

While populations elsewhere are defining their own destinies we sit like moogus while our leaders take us for this long, rough ride. Our pastors even ask us to "pray" to God for intervention while they reserve sits for these despots in the front of their churches and then travel the world in their  private jets,   angry

Our value system requires a complete overhaul. When we start demonstrating to our leaders that we can force change (and that power truely belongs to the people), then we may start to make some progress.

The entire rebranding initiative by Akunyili is just one big joke. Why don't they instead, enlighten nigerians on the need to task our leaders, challenge and confront them? Our leaders always seem wary of empowering the people, and instead resort to daft, aimless propaganda! We have unwittingly become the biggest mugus of all! Giant of Africa my foot!

JoshO
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by xterra2(m): 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2009
Our leaders are 30% responsible for that while  70 % is we the citizens.
When our leaders loot the treasury we allow them too,not even a single effort by the ordinary citizen is put to do something,
In a country like Thailand for example,protesters shut down the  Bangkok airport and over 300,000 tourist were stranded,it also had a negative impact on their economy.
We have been cheated by our leaders let us also shut down all their airports in the nation,Major roads should be blocked by protesters,PHCN workers strike(let the whole nation be dark as USUAL),NLC strike and even telecommunication sector strike(MTN,GLO,ZAIN,e.t.c should go on strike although they are private workers),Police stirke,petroleum sector strike(no more fuel in the country)that will bring the nation to a standstill
And we should press our demands,with this our leaders will have NO CHOICE than to accept our demands and with that if they try to do nonsense they will remember this and so they will do their jobs wonderfully.
{although we may be affected its better this way to have our problems solved once and for all}
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by Frizy(m): 4:35pm On Apr 14, 2009
The problem we have in Nigeria is both a leadership and followership problem. The leaders have looted the country with barely any vision of making our great nation stand to the heights it truly deserves. The average Nigerian citizen is usually not trustworthy either, probably because of poverty or the way the society brought him up. Am not declaring myself to be a saint, but even on the little projects I got myself involved in. Whenever, some Nigerians see that I don't settle for mediocrity and put my best for such to look just as it is done in the west, they start saying am not wise, that I need to cut cost and keep the whole lot to myself. That's Nigeria, I just saw yesterday--I don't know if any of you watched it on AIT, the Anambra State governor (Peter Obi) was show casing his achievement towards the state. They were talking as if it was show cased to fools, the guy's project were very incommendable. All the things he had done would not make that state modern-- it would never.

I was talking to one hausa business man here sometime ago, I was talking about quality assurances and said we need to have world class carpenters in Nigeria probably going to university to study carpentry. If the labor is readily available the cost to have good furniture would be less. He cried at me and said in his 30 years of business, never think quality in Nigeria (this is a successful business man), just do something to make profit for yourself. I can't count the number of times I've tried my best to do what I do best, without looking much into money, money, money. Even in the capitalist America things are not the way they're in Nigeria. My heart bleeds each time people complain when they embrace this problems consciously or otherwise.

For Nigeria to have good hospitals, roads (with 5 lanes), hotel and resorts, electricity and so on. Lies on their wiliness to remove the negative influence their leaders and the mediocrates have upon them. If we try and develop ourselves, things would change for us. Nigerians are busy with the super eagles, there is nothing wrong in having Formula one, super bike other sports to add to the nation. If I ever become the governor of my state, I know things would change because I don't really go about chasing money. It's only people that are useless and short-sighted that run after papers, it's not the money, it's what you build for the people. sad
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by Theblessed(f): 4:49pm On Apr 14, 2009
Oh my brothers and sisters, I cry alongside you!!!  Our beautiful country is a mess to the point where the most basic Human Right - food is so out of question for millions of Nigerians families and the politicians are having a laugh at their own peoples' misery - terrible!!!  Nigeria is a land full of COWARDS.  Where are all those macho males of Nigeria who would rather chew their own manhood at the mere mention of a woman taking the mantle to rule Nigeria.  Where are you, COWARDS?? Where are you?  Maybe God is teaching Nigeria some wisdom here - its time for a girl to take CHARGE OF THIS COUNTRY, TO TAKE THE ACCOUNTABILITY of this country in their own hands. It's time you lot back off and give women a chance and support them to succeed instead of sabourtaging their chances.  Enough is enough give us the mantle and see what we can do - turn this Country round because it's ours too and it's been proven time and time again and all over the world that women are good managers and they can manage the country very well indeed.  Evidence of this is every where - Indiara Ghandi, Margaret Thatcher and now Angela of Germany and talk of nearer home our own sister in-charge of Liberia,  Now what have you got to tell us  Shame, shame and shame on to you lot, Nigerian men.  

And to answer this question, well, I would say - successive governments (past and present), who have been taking turns to rule Nigeria since Biafran/Nigerian civil war should all be brought to justice on this if Nigerians are dying of starvation in their own blessed land and these people are living like kings off our own OIL MONEY - and their children all, in foreign Universities squashing our money without shame.  Well, I wonder who's  to blame should Nigerians not know who,  I say blame me, then!

Nigerians should start taking actions instead of talking, talking, talking and more talks. Instead of harrassing and bulling innocent Nigerians who have not only suffered but also self sacrificed their lives to be who they are today -
SELF-MADE MILLIONAIRES, instead of the never ending crime in our cities and villages - by way of ARMED ROBBERY and KIDNAPPINGS of innocent people, the current trade now.  Instead of these, PLEASE, target the broad day light theives and their disciples who had stolen our country under our own eyes and feet.  Target them and their familes wherever they are (and you know where to find them, don't you??) so that they suffer what we are suffering and, more and please, leave innocent Nigerians struggling to make ends meet alone, please, please, please!
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by scktaggif: 5:03pm On Apr 14, 2009
@cvibe you are right now we are responsible. My statement addresses the causes of the problem we have in Nigeria today. Come to think of it, the Britains are actually the source of our ethnic problem; the ethnic problem is the source of our political problem, and our political problem affects the economy which affects every single person.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by joshO: 5:12pm On Apr 14, 2009
the Britains are actually the source of our ethnic problem

Dude, this is  now a tired argument. Let's stop blaming others for our failings! If we're not
happy with the "arrangement", then as a people, we should be able to redefine ourselves, our politics
and our boundaries amicably. Are we waiting for the British to come do it for us again after over 40 years
of independence? One starts to wonder what's wrong with we black people sef!?

Just to further elaborate on my ealier comment, let me share an encounter I've just had (barely 10 mins ago) -

I listed some items on Ebay  - a brand new laptop and digital camera I recently received as gifts. This is the
second time I'm listing items on ebay, and on this occassion as in the previous, both items were accepted at full price.

I quickly suspected something fishy. 10 mins ago, I discovered the bidder was Nigerian, which prompted me to
call Paypall to verify all was well. Paypall quickly alerted me that this was a "spoof", and was common with
"Nigerians". I called the bidder in Nigeria and just played along. For obvious reasons, he seemed in a hurry to have
me dispatch the items to him in Nigeria, not realizing I was already suspicious. When I disclosed I was Nigerian and
knew what he was up to, he just went quiet and was full of apology.

If this has happened to me the two times I've listed items on ebay, you can imagine what the general ebay
population is faced with and what this does to our reputation as a Nigerians!
Rather than confront our rotten leadership, we export our desperation in a bid to compromise  systems that
citizens in other nations, in  their good wisdom, strive to nurture, promote and preserve.

This may be a little off topic, but it only highlights our growing reputation as a crime infested cesspit. If we put in half the effort we expend searching for short cuts in changing our value system and challenging the theming criminal elite, we'll be much much better off!
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by scktaggif: 5:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
@joshO I didn’t blame the British for our problems; I just identified the source of our ethnic problems, which is the reason for this tread “Who Is Responsible for the Present State of Nigeria” the British that’s the simple answer. It is also important to know that we have the answer to the problem.  Please note: WE HAVING THE ANSWER IS NOT ENOUGH TO SAY WE ARE THE CAUSE.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by Thor(m): 5:38pm On Apr 14, 2009
Nigerians lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by philip0906(m): 5:38pm On Apr 14, 2009
@ikeymann00
60% northern leaders

30% yoruba leaders

10%  igbo leaders

gbam gbam!!
 Thank u.         grin
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by platinumnk(f): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2009
Theblessed:

Oh my brothers and sisters, I cry alongside you!!! Our beautiful country is a mess to the point where the most basic Human Right - food is so out of question for millions of Nigerians families and the politicians are having a laugh at their own peoples' misery - terrible!!! Nigeria is a land full of COWARDS. Where are all those macho males of Nigeria who would rather chew their own manhood at the mere mention of a woman taking the mantle to rule Nigeria. Where are you, COWARDS?? Where are you? Maybe God is teaching Nigeria some wisdom here - its time for a girl to take CHARGE OF THIS COUNTRY, TO TAKE THE ACCOUNTABILITY of this country in their own hands. It's time you lot back off and give women a chance and support them to succeed instead of sabourtaging their chances. Enough is enough give us the mantle and see what we can do - turn this Country round because it's ours too and it's been proven time and time again and all over the world that women are good managers and they can manage the country very well indeed. Evidence of this is every where - Indiara Ghandi, Margaret Thatcher and now Angela of Germany and talk of nearer home our own sister in-charge of Liberia, Now what have you got to tell us Shame, shame and shame on to you lot, Nigerian men.

And to answer this question, well, I would say - successive governments (past and present), who have been taking turns to rule Nigeria since Biafran/Nigerian civil war should all be brought to justice on this if Nigerians are dying of starvation in their own blessed land and these people are living like kings off our own OIL MONEY - and their children all, in foreign Universities squashing our money without shame. Well, I wonder who's to blame should Nigerians not know who, I say blame me, then!

Nigerians should start taking actions instead of talking, talking, talking and more talks. Instead of harrassing and bulling innocent Nigerians who have not only suffered but also self sacrificed their lives to be who they are today -
SELF-MADE MILLIONAIRES, instead of the never ending crime in our cities and villages - by way of ARMED ROBBERY and KIDNAPPINGS of innocent people, the current trade now. Instead of these, PLEASE, target the broad day light theives and their disciples who had stolen our country under our own eyes and feet. Target them and their familes wherever they are (and you know where to find them, don't you??) so that they suffer what we are suffering and, more and please, leave innocent Nigerians struggling to make ends meet alone, please, please, please!

My sister, I agree with you %110. I was just discussing that today.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 6:22pm On Apr 14, 2009
yalll continue foolin urself

nigeria on its part knows yorobos and hausa f ucked everywhere up!!

u had abacha and associate chop like 8 billion dollars

late abiola 1 billion like

obasanjo chop 5 billion like

ibb 12 billions

avaition fay nko

police chief under obj nko

and u sat there askin whose to blame !!!

it about time yorobos and aboki shouldnt be allowed in power for the next 60 yrs

now forget dubia and bejin, put those money on project like power, hospital, roads hey i bet u nigeria will be first world!!!

so  ppl listen up, face the truth plz

enuff is enuff
cool
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 6:34pm On Apr 14, 2009
The three major tribes in nigeria, with the hausa leading.
The minorities are exempted from my list.

No one is exempt whether it be a tiv, jukun, urhobo. The Niger Delta chief who takes money from Shell while doing nothing for his community sure isn't exempt.

It's obvious we won't go anywhere if we continue to pass the blame around. First step to curing a problem is admitting you have a problem
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by stkris(m): 6:41pm On Apr 14, 2009
@mr. poster

theres no need for tall tales, the answer is simple: go home n look into a mirror. the culprit is right there, staring you in the eye, like he were innocent.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by Horus(m): 6:52pm On Apr 14, 2009
Womans are very good in organising,I think a woman have to be the ruler and leader in Nigeria.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by asha80(m): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2009
Womans are very good in organising,I think a woman have to be the ruler and leader in Nigeria.

undecided
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by scktaggif: 9:01pm On Apr 14, 2009
How can a woman rule Nigeria? Never, a woman only leads in the absence of a competent man. Let’s go for the competent men my dear and when a woman decides to be corrupt, e go do am pass man.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 9:02pm On Apr 14, 2009
scktaggif:

How can a woman rule Nigeria? Never, a woman only leads in the absence of a competent man. Let’s go for the competent men my dear and when a woman decides to be corrupt, e go do am pass man.

Why cant a woman rule Nigeria?

What is wrong with it?
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 14, 2009
A woman can never lead the contraption called ''nigeria'' angry
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by onyengbu1(m): 9:26pm On Apr 14, 2009
you all know where our problems are coming from,

its hausa and yoruba people who has been running Nigeria like their family business.

shebi they say Nigeria cannot afford igbo president.
Ndi oshi!
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by noetic(m): 9:33pm On Apr 14, 2009
onye_ngbu:

you all know where our problems are coming from,

its hausa and yoruba people who has been running Nigeria like their family business.

shebi they say Nigeria cannot afford igbo president.
Ndi oshi!
u need to start looking beyond ethnicity. The division in nigeria is not based on ethnic line but between the oppressors and the oppressed.
unless and until the common man forgets their "baseless" minor differences and stand up to the oppressors, we will forever wine in poverty and underdevelopment.

The most unfortunate part is that we are bequeathing a habit of complaints without action to the coming generations.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by onyengbu1(m): 9:39pm On Apr 14, 2009
until the hausa and yoruba leaders put ethnicity aside when making their appointments or during elections then we can blame everybody.

Nigeria is being run by hausa and yoruba people and majority of looters are coming from west and north so its not a bad thing to blame them.

Our problems starts from looting and every other thing follows so if yoruba and hausa are our major looters, why would i blame any other person.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by liray: 9:43pm On Apr 14, 2009
quite frankly there is more to this issue than we think, Nigeria is a blessed nation still 80% of its population leave in poverty, do we then site back and keep pointing fingers at our leaders, we all end up with the same conclusion. I think Nigerian need a government similar to that of Russia, if not better backed with prayers.

You can follow up good daily news coverage across the nation on www.sedocaonline.com.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by noetic(m): 10:56pm On Apr 14, 2009
onye_ngbu:

until the hausa and yoruba leaders put ethnicity aside when making their appointments or during elections then we can blame everybody.

Nigeria is being run by hausa and yoruba people and majority of looters are coming from west and north so its not a bad thing to blame them.

Our problems starts from looting and every other thing follows so if yoruba and hausa are our major looters, why would i blame any other person.

how have the igbo governors been a blessing to their people between 1999 till date?
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2009
I don't get you guys, what's wrong with female leader?
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by noetic(m): 11:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
bawomolo:

I don't get you guys, what's wrong with female leader?

the same thing thats wrong with a male leader.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by platinumnk(f): 3:23am On Apr 15, 2009
there is nothing wrong with a female leader, in fact we probally wont change until we have one, the men in power are heartless.

And ppl on here sayin a woman cant run are sexist.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by scktaggif: 9:28am On Apr 15, 2009
Come on guys, why female leader, is that the problem we have? Certainly not.  The source of our problem is ethnicity (The British unification process). So, the only solution is to put ethnic segregation apart, no majority and no minority.  Calling the Yoruba/Hausa Majorities sends a wrong signal. First, if you are not from the majority you cannot rule the country, no matter how good you are. We have to sideline our best candidate for tribal choice(Segregation caused by the British). This means, only decisions backed by the majority can be passed in to law, so the minorities are complaining of oppression. Our leaders should feed us with the politics of equality (No regards to ethnic groups). Opportunities in Nigeria are not equal for all ethnicity. Take education for example, the northern universities have different admission criteria for Southerners (in one Country), what sort of nonsense is that. It applies to all aspects of life in Nigeria

It is surprising to observe that Nigerians abroad like themselves more than you can imagine, but when you are in Nigeria, you act like one (I don't care attitude) because we are not meant to be equally in Nigeria. Out side Nigeria, we are treated equal.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by onyengbu1(m): 11:35am On Apr 15, 2009
noetic:

how have the igbo governors been a blessing to their people between 1999 till date?

I will tell you how.

Here in Anambra,

1. Ngige freed Anambrarians from Godfatherism which is still very operational today in the west and north.
2. In 3 years, Ngige constructed more roads than Bola Tinunbu did in 4 years even with huge Lagos allocation.
3. Peter Obi went to court and changed the way anybody who intends to do election rigging will do it in Anambra. Election rigging is now very difficult in Anambra.
4. Peter Obi has also shown other governors in the country how to fight unreasonable/unjustified impeachment.
5. Peter Obi has digitalized many sectors and ministries of the government.
6. Peter Obi has built the best state stock exchange establishment in the country.
7. Nigeria police has never been given more vehicles by any other guvnor than Peter Obi.
8. Peter Obi has ,

In Enugu,
Other enugu people can come and complete theirs but I know that enugu has had even more work done by their governors than Anambra.

In Imo,
the story is still the same. Owerri is gradually turning to a mega city,

Ebonyi,

I dont know much about them shaa,

Abia,

same thing,

You seee? Our governors are not all good news but they have done their own bit too.
So yoruba and hausa bigots in here should get it off their heads that your governors are less corrupt than ours.
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by JJCLondon: 12:08pm On Apr 15, 2009
@ Frizy,

Spoken like a true leader!

NLs, aka ''my fellow country people'',

Nigeria needs ''solution-providers'', not ''problem-givers'', people who are value-based, focussed on the mission of delivering this Great nation (yes we are great!) from its many problems, unyielding in the winds of adversity and (seemingly now) obvious change, and these attributes and traits are resident in each and everyone of us

Like a friend said, whilst most of us inherited ''Nigeria'', the ''Niger-area'' similarly inherited some people, fortunately or unfortunately, like members of one's family whom we never choose before birth, divine ordination? Even WAR no fit separate us. Yes, whether or not we like it, (at least for now) we are in this together and its the way forward we all seek,

So which way Nigeria?

Typically, if there was proper leadership and continuance of good governance and policy, naija should have been looking at and reviewing Vision 2010 by now. Or have we forgotten? Wonder what became of that (maybe it died with Abacha abi?) N since then, ?

Let's work on our own/ personal Vision 20/20, starting with looking to change your immediate area of influence, as change makers, thinking of what you can do for your self/ family/ community / state/ country, we do have a voice through media like dis, let's look at WAYS BEYOND DIALOGUE in which we can make OUR VOICE & ACTIONS even more effective, with 300,000plus of us? Anything is possible!

Ten years may seem a long time, but time truly flies, and before you blink it is here with us AGAIN, my question is where would WE fellow NLs be?

It may have taken Yankee (America) 40 plus years to make certain ''Fundamental Changes'' which we all blacks in the most populous black country surely identify with, similarly, if we get our house in order, we can look forward to leaving a legacy for our own children and future generations

Ideas needed for change please, now dat we know dat we are ALL responsible for ''Naija''

Bless y'all
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by azeezbaba(m): 12:43pm On Apr 15, 2009
Women are not ripe to rule us in this country. Have we all forgotten so quickly wat one of them did to us in the National Assembly?

NIgerians are responsible for the present state of Nigeria and we should get ourselves out of it.

Dont ask me HOW?
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Present State Of Nigeria by CrudeOil2(m): 2:10pm On Apr 15, 2009
The North is responsible for the past and present mess we face.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTO: Nigeria Accident Victims VS. American Accident Victims / Buhari Drops Bombshell On Igbos & The Civil War / APC Supporters, Give Me Answers To any of These And Get My Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.