Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Assistance Needed On Dog Characters - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Assistance Needed On Dog Characters (680 Views)

Suggestions on dog mating / Abeg I Need Advice On Dog To Buy / Need Advice On Dog Mating HELP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Assistance Needed On Dog Characters by Charlesdegaulle: 7:53am On Sep 19, 2015
Please why do some dogs eat their puppies? I have a GSD who just gave birth. On the third day, i returned home from work to discover one puppy missing, even though the whole environment was secured. This has happened before and i was told that it probably ate the puppy. Is this normal? What could be done to prevent this? Answers needed please
Re: Assistance Needed On Dog Characters by knyte(m): 8:35am On Sep 19, 2015
Charlesdegaulle:
Please why do some dogs eat their puppies? I have a GSD who just gave birth. On the third day, i returned home from work to discover one puppy missing, even though the whole environment was secured. This has happened before and i was told that it probably ate the puppy. Is this normal? What could be done to prevent this? Answers needed please
Q-Why do some dogs kill their pups if not taken away from them immediately?
Also this condition can be caused by a number of reasons ranging from cannibalism, lack of recognition of the pup due to several hormonal imbalances, mastitis(inflammation of the teats), stress or fear, still born or unhealthy pups. Would elaborate on the last part(still born or unhealthy pups cos I av witnessed this before). This habit isn't restricted to just dogs alone, rabbits, snakes, chickens amongst a few display this habit too and this is cos of the dam noticing that d pup is unhealthy and would just pup extra strain on her so she would rather eat it up to gain nutrients than leave it unattended to. Same scenario happens to still born too, d dam feels sorry for d loss of her pup but instead of waste dt amount of nutrients she ingests the pup to make up for the ones she has lost and at the same time feed d ones that made it.
Re: Assistance Needed On Dog Characters by Charlesdegaulle: 2:47pm On Sep 19, 2015
knyte:

Q-Why do some dogs kill their pups if not taken away from them immediately?
Also this condition can be caused by a number of reasons ranging from cannibalism, lack of recognition of the pup due to several hormonal imbalances, mastitis(inflammation of the teats), stress or fear, still born or unhealthy pups. Would elaborate on the last part(still born or unhealthy pups cos I av witnessed this before). This habit isn't restricted to just dogs alone, rabbits, snakes, chickens amongst a few display this habit too and this is cos of the dam noticing that d pup is unhealthy and would just pup extra strain on her so she would rather eat it up to gain nutrients than leave it unattended to. Same scenario happens to still born too, d dam feels sorry for d loss of her pup but instead of waste dt amount of nutrients she ingests the pup to make up for the ones she has lost and at the same time feed d ones that made it.

Thanks Knyte, very useful
Re: Assistance Needed On Dog Characters by knyte(m): 4:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
Charlesdegaulle:

Thanks Knyte, very useful
Am glad it was..

(1) (Reply)

Pls Hep Me!!!!!! / Parrot / 18 Months Old Female Greaterdane From Imported Parent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.