Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,037 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! (8575 Views)

BVN : A Friend's Hilarious Experience At GT Bank With A White Man / NACCIMA Proposes Naira For ECOWAS Single Currency / Fake GT Bank Website......boys No Dey Smile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by porka: 10:18pm On Apr 16, 2009
[b]@ poster

i tried searching through the cbn website for something similar to a regulation on bank charges and this is what came close to it.

http://cenbank.org/out/circulars/bsd/2009/sanctions%20for%20violation%20of%20the%20decision%20on%20maximum%20deposit%20rate,%20lending%20rate%20and%20other%20charges.pdf

the cbn didn’t say "what other charges" are. and how to calculate the 2% p/a on this type of service is a little difficult. i hope they wont calculate 2% on the account balance.

be that as it may, i think the nigerian concept of financial intermediation is warped. i think it's silly. someone saying they keep your money therefore they should charge you. is that what they teach nigerian bank workers these days? i hope those making those argument are not bank workers, if they are it is shameful.

banks should actually pay interest on deposit and not charge for diesel/gen-set etc as someone insinuated. they are already enjoying the float, i.e. using customers’ money to generate more money. that is why banks are regulated in the first place. that is why customers’ deposit appears on the liability side of the balance sheet.

why are they opening 400 branches to charge customers? how many start-ups have enjoyed facilities from those four hundred branches? don’t forget that these same banks always claim that interest rate is high because of cost of funds, so why are they “passing it on to the customers” through these hidden charges?

and after the heavy “diesel/generator” charges they still collapse like a pack of cards? no wonder they look for customers by fire by force. nigeria is not the only country with challenges of infrastructure, there are several countries in similar position as nigeria which are not exploiting their people, india, brazil, bangladesh, iran etc don’t have excellent infrastructure yet life is not made difficult by their financial institutions.
[/b]
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by Jacosky(m): 5:23am On Apr 17, 2009
I just hope that our "well learned" nairalanders will try to stop intimidating us with their strong strong oyibo - especially when they use some words that are ambigous.
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by superstar1(m): 2:48pm On Apr 17, 2009
@ Porka

mind u nigeria is not in the same class as India and Brazil at all. Iran is an oil producing country and a potential nuclear power. bangladesh acceptable but have ou banked with their banks b4?

we keep making an arguments as we are not in the same country.

who bears the brunt of cost of production = customers; who bears the cost of goods transportation = customers; who bears the cost of increase in fuel importation=customers;who is bearing the operational expense of calling on GSM=customers; then who should bear the cost of opeartions of the bank= of course customers.

Banks are not charity organisations like Ford neither are they NGOs.

You said they collapsing like pack of cards. Not a single bank in this country has collapsed since the begining of this recession while they are countless in Europe and US. If iy=t happened in our country we would have been hearinng 200reasons why such we never happen in the western world.
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by speeddater: 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2009
av u noticed on the home page we have 4 post on GTBank alone? shocked How popular can one bank be?

Have u also noticed that all the people who make this complaints are new users trying to drive customer away from the bank?
U guys cant run the place down. They are good at what they do. Not faultless but pretty good. My money stay with them.

Where else can u find professionalism and class and great customer service - from the bank being run by the CEO of the year.

3 gbosa for GTBank wink
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by nethacker(m): 6:14pm On Apr 17, 2009
speeddater:

av u noticed on the home page we have 4 post on GTBank alone? shocked How popular can one bank be?

Have u also noticed that all the people who make this complaints are new users trying to drive customer away from the bank?
U guys cant run the place down. They are good at what they do. Not faultless but pretty good. My money stay with them.

Where else can u find professionalism and class and great customer service - from the bank being run by the CEO of the year.

3 gbosa for GTBank wink
grin
@speeddater , i dey with u jare, u be correct person no mind them, shame to bad pple
make i reply ur request GBOSA!!GBOSA!!!GBOSA!!! grin tongue
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by Obamaa: 12:03am On Apr 20, 2009
dats even cheap as FINBANK chargd me 3000 naira 4 a reference l8r and d worst part was dat i was nt informd as i only got 2 knw thru a txt message 2 ma phone.
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by omoabike: 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ekoree
I do feel you and I understand how you feel about this arbitrary charge. However i must advise that you pursue this to a logical conclusion by not just leaving the matter at the customer care section.
I bank with GTB and I have been a customer at other banks in Nigeria and for this reason of arbitrary charges I have had cause to leave so many of the other banks and berth with GTB.
GTB has been my bank for the last 2 years till now. While I believe that a customer is king for any business I must say that I have had the best experience with GTB amongst all the banks I have done business with.
That a bank is wonderful overall does not mean that there would not be some grey areas where you have some bad eggs. You can only help the bank by making sure that you do not let the fact that the money being small deter you in following it up.
Even my old mother that i introduced to GTB to facilitates easy transfer of money to her has been commending them.
I am not a banker but I know from experience with other bank that if i raise my voice or ask for a higher authority in a banking hall i usually get speedy response from the bank.
Having said this i think a business has the right to charge for any service it may render . What is wrong is for that business not to inform the customer about the charges before the transaction is carried out.
Those that are saying that the bank shouldn't charge for such service because they say such is not so in the US and the Uk are just being economical with the truth. I am a recent arrival here in the United States, infact I have just spent 6 months here and businesses charges all manner of charges for service that we take for granted in Nigeria. An example is text message by the phone company, you are charged for receiving text messages even if the messages are advert message.
Earlier this year an airline in the UK RyanAir started touting the idea of charging for using toilet on airplanes during flights http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7914542.stm
So please try and follow this to a logical end and I would appreciate if you can inform us about the conclusion of the issue
Cheers
Re: GT Bank And Arbitrary Charges: 2500 Naira For A Letter! by miksonics(m): 2:06am On Apr 13, 2011
yesterday i sent my sec to the bank for 10k an alert came showing me 10k withdrawal and 100naira bank charge ,this is a company account.i dont understand what is going on and i will still be charge cot at the end of month,I think the bbanks are getting fustrated no quick sharp means of making money.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plantain Chips Packaging / Keystone Bank Names Transition Board / $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.