Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,972 members, 7,952,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:11 AM

SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. (2504 Views)

Super Pet Sunday: Q&A / Super Pet Sunday: The Three Legged Dog / Super Pet Sundays: What Does Your Dog Eat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Prodeegee(m): 12:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
In recent times, you might have heard alot of stories behind spanking your dog. but how do you relate with your dog when he/she does a purnishable offense?

Pls i want us all to learn thru this. no too-knows, no name calling. its ok to disagree with points and argue...

How do you relate with your dogs when they offend?
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by kunlesufyan(m): 3:06pm On Sep 20, 2015
I would only spank,if the offense isn't too much.bt then I beat with a dedicated whip if offense is just too grave

1 Like

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2015
Nice thread prodeegee...

To start with, u need to define the offense...
Our dear canine friends can be likened to a deaf and dumb kid, they learn thru gestures and expressions u teach them...

There's this saying, "if u don't train them,dont blame them"...

Firstly, u need to check if this offense wasn't instigated by u...Such offenses are not punishable. For example, you lock ur pet up for the greater part of the day and u expect him not to poo in his kennel, that's not a punishable offense...

Secondly, dogs learn by repetition, you can only punish him for an offense which you've corrected him for on several occassions...such punishment shouldn't be to the extreme, you need to understand ur dog and don't get them confused...

Spanking dogs isn't advisable, it doesn't drive home your point to them...

Although there are some cases where u notice ur dog is becoming too rebellious and requires a iron hand to show him you're the boss, but this shouldn't be to the extreme too, otherwise you'll end up breeding a dummy, a dog that sees u and starts peeing on himself...

Enough of my epistle, I hope this helps...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by uchpanila(m): 3:23pm On Sep 20, 2015
Lucky is I good dog, she behaves well , even when she's caught in action she will just run off to hide or come lying to your feet, I take that she's begging for forgiveness, so no much reason for the flogging.

There is this my friend he flogs the heck out of his dog buh the thing is dat the dog won't even stop doing that, will only pretend whenever he see a whip, there is this day the guy hanged the dog from the two hind legs faced down for more close to 20 mins , he said it's part of training so the dog would be agaile

1 Like

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Prodeegee(m): 4:55pm On Sep 20, 2015
Nice one arcbay. What about a case of aggressiveness to a new dog or a family member. Repeated.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by xreal: 5:37pm On Sep 20, 2015
Hmm,
I am used to flogging the hell out of my dogs.
Especially the first set (generation) of dogs I had.

As time went on the flogging reduced; believe me, it worked.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 6:01pm On Sep 20, 2015
Prodeegee:
Nice one arcbay. What about a case of aggressiveness to a new dog or a family member. Repeated.

You can't blame ur dog for a show of territoriality, it's in their blood...

Spanking won't and can't solve this. All you need do is to teach your dog that the new dog or family member is welcome and is also part of the family...

There are so many ways to go about this...Respect the new member and let ur dog see you in the act...Taking them together on walks too does a lot of magic...Give them a common enemy to battle, lizards, rats, strangers etc...

There exists so many ways but I wouldn't wanna bore us with my post...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Prodeegee(m): 8:36pm On Sep 20, 2015
Thank you all for the comments.

96% of the time when we spank our dogs, we are the main cause. So we blame the dogs for our mistake.

When next you're about to spank your dog, ask yourself who is really at fault.

Sometimes you have to understand dogs need their own respect. You don't force 2dogs to eat in a plate when they don't want to.

I hope we have all learnt from this.

Thanks once again to all who took their time to comment.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by obstead200(m): 10:57am On Sep 21, 2015
my dogs they are just 6 months old. Before now, I used to lock them up 24/7 and only release them briefly (in the mornings and in the evenings) to go and poo outside my compound under strict supervision. But now, they are locked up during the day and released at nite.
before releasing them into the compound at night, I still take them out to poo. I however notice when I wake up every morning that they have poo in my compound.
I dont like flogging them but I can't figure out any other way to make them stop. So early morning flogging is now a routine for them.
they now cringe as soon as I take up the cane.
How do I train them to understand that my compound is part of the restricted space?

NB; they don't poo in their kennel at all even if I keep them locked in all through the day. It is sacred to them.
But my compound ........... na wa
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by obstead200(m): 11:26am On Sep 21, 2015
my dogs they are just 6 months old. Before now, I used to lock them up all 24/7 and only release them briefly (in the mornings and in the evenings) to go and poo outside my compound under strict supervision. But now, they are locked up during the day and released at nite.
before releasing them into the compound, I still take them out to to poo. I however notice when I wake up every morning that they have poo in my compound.
I dont like flogging them but I cant figure out any other way to make them stop. So early morning flogging is now a routine for them.
How do I train them to only to know that my compound is part of the restricted space?

NB; they dont poo in their kennel at all. it is sacred to them. but my compound ........... na wa
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Anchor84: 5:56pm On Sep 22, 2015
Prodeegee:
In recent times, you might have heard alot of stories behind spanking your dog. but how do you relate with your dog when he/she does a purnishable offense?

Pls i want us all to learn thru this. no too-knows, no name calling. its ok to disagree with points and argue...

How do you relate with your dogs when they offend?
and u know I HATE dis...oju mi o Kin gba!
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 10:15am On Sep 24, 2015
obstead200:
my dogs they are just 6 months old. Before now, I used to lock them up all 24/7 and only release them briefly (in the mornings and in the evenings) to go and poo outside my compound under strict supervision. But now, they are locked up during the day and released at nite.
before releasing them into the compound, I still take them out to to poo. I however notice when I wake up every morning that they have poo in my compound.
I dont like flogging them but I cant figure out any other way to make them stop. So early morning flogging is now a routine for them.
How do I train them to only to know that my compound is part of the restricted space?

NB; they dont poo in their kennel at all. it is sacred to them. but my compound ........... na wa

This is quite simple but time consuming, you will need to persevere to make them understand this. like I said, dogs are like a deaf and dumb kid, they learn thru gestures, expressions and above all, experience and repetition.

You need to make them understand what u need them to do.

To achieve ur aims, imagine you are a dog, put urself in their shoes. If you were them, how best and how quickly can u understand things...

I've used a lot of tactics over the years and it has always worked for me.
Just follow the below steps and be consistent with it, let's see how it helps:

1. Anytime they poo in the restricted zone, drag them by the collar, show them what they've done, shove their heads in the poo if need be (lol), pack up the mess and let them see you do it.

2. Still dragging them by the collar and the mess in the other hand, drop them both in the desired poo zone, both dog and poo. Chain the dog in that zone for a while, wash up the initial spot they messed up, preferably with a detergent or bleach.

3. A little slap or shout of commands can help drive home ur point too.

4. Try this within a month and watch the magic...

Having written all these epistle, I hope this helps anyone reading this post...

MAGIC BEHIND THE TRICK
The essence of step 1 is to show them what they are being punished for. Packing up the mess in their presence shows them u don't like it being done at that spot.

The essence of step 2 is to show them the preferred poo zone. Chaining the dog there teaches him that's his punishment each time he repeats the crime. Naturally, dogs hate to be tied to a spot, so he understands the punishment.
Washing up the restricted zone is to erase all traces of their poo. If you've noticed, dogs sniff around for signs of their mess before they drop their stuff around that same area. It's like marking a territory for themselves., you see dogs sniffing around and hovering in circles before they poo, that's what they look out for. So using a detergent or bleach will erase their traces.

The essence of step 3 is to show them how angry you are and that you ain't happy with them at the moment. Dogs love attention and will do anything to be in ur good books, so they won't wanna do anything to bring a repeat of the anger.

1 Like

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by lacicrips(m): 10:37am On Sep 24, 2015
If you're okay with having a dummy for a dog, then its fine to beat the heck outta them.

For those of us who want confident, fearless but loyal friends, there are far more effective ways we can control them. You have the key to their life - use it. Freedom, food, play, walks, etal are all there for you to have a balanced and well behaved dog.

1 Like

Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by obstead200(m): 12:04pm On Sep 24, 2015
arcbay:

This is quite simple but time consuming, you will need to persevere to make them understand this. like I said, dogs are like a deaf and dumb kid, they learn thru gestures, expressions and above all, experience and repetition.

You need to make them understand what u need them to do.

To achieve ur aims, imagine you are a dog, put urself in their shoes. If you were them, how best and how quickly can u understand things...

I've used a lot of tactics over the years and it has always worked for me.
Just follow the below steps and be consistent with it, let's see how it helps:

1. Anytime they poo in the restricted zone, drag them by the collar, show them what they've done, shove their heads in the poo if need be (lol), pack up the mess and let them see you do it.

2. Still dragging them by the collar and the mess in the other hand, drop them both in the desired poo zone, both dog and poo. Chain the dog in that zone for a while, wash up the initial spot they messed up, preferably with a detergent or bleach.

3. A little slap or shout of commands can help drive home ur point too.

4. Try this within a month and watch the magic...

Having written all these epistle, I hope this helps anyone reading this post...

MAGIC BEHIND THE TRICK
The essence of step 1 is to show them what they are being punished for. Packing up the mess in their presence shows them u don't like it being done at that spot.

The essence of step 2 is to show them the preferred poo zone. Chaining the dog there teaches him that's his punishment each time he repeats the crime. Naturally, dogs hate to be tied to a spot, so he understands the punishment.
Washing up the restricted zone is to erase all traces of their poo. If you've noticed, dogs sniff around for signs of their mess before they drop their stuff around that same area. It's like marking a territory for themselves., you see dogs sniffing around and hovering in circles before they poo, that's what they look out for. So using a detergent or bleach will erase their traces.

The essence of step 3 is to show them how angry you are and that you ain't happy with them at the moment. Dogs love attention and will do anything to be in ur good books, so they won't wanna do anything to bring a repeat of the anger.
thanks for the response. Now I know what I am doing wrong. I normally put their head in the poo and then flog them. But they usually don't watch me throw it away. As for chaining them to the preferred poo spot, that will mean leaving my dogs outside the compound. I really don't think I want to do that. Is there an alternative?
Since step 2 is a punishment, can't I just take them to the prefered poo spot and flog them there?
Thanks once again for ur response. It will really be helpful
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 12:45pm On Sep 24, 2015
obstead200:
thanks for the response. Now I know what I am doing wrong. I normally put their head in the poo and then flog them. But they usually don't watch me throw it away. As for chaining them to the preferred poo spot, that will mean leaving my dogs outside the compound. I really don't think I want to do that. Is there an alternative?
Since step 2 is a punishment, can't I just take them to the prefered poo spot and flog them there?
Thanks once again for ur response. It will really be helpful

You need to be careful not to confuse them. You can only slightly scold them at the restricted place they messed up, take them with u to the new poo zone but don't scold them there. Just make them understand that's the new poo zone. That should work...

Tying them to that zone for a while usually works too...Not for a long time, but time enough for them to realise the gravity of their offense. Since it will mean outside the compound in your own case, then maybe u tie and watch them from a distance.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 12:46pm On Sep 24, 2015
And to everyone, please Note that my methods and strategies are not backed up by science or some theories, they are only from experience I've gained over the years.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by obstead200(m): 2:25pm On Sep 24, 2015
arcbay:

You need to be careful not to confuse them. You can only slightly scold them at the restricted place they messed up, take them with u to the new poo zone but don't scold them there. Just make them understand that's the new poo zone. That should work...

Tying them to that zone for a while usually works too...Not for a long time, but time enough for them to realise the gravity of their offense. Since it will mean outside the compound in your own case, then maybe u tie and watch them from a distance.
thanks a lot.
But it will still be quite difficult for me. Cos I only got a 30mins window in the mornings to pack the poo, scold them, feed them and then rush out for the day's hustle of school runs, office work, other private biz hustles
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by arcbay(m): 6:04pm On Sep 24, 2015
obstead200:
thanks a lot.
But it will still be quite difficult for me. Cos I only got a 30mins window in the mornings to pack the poo, scold them, feed them and then rush out for the day's hustle of school runs, office work, other private biz hustles

30minutes every morning and night is enough to drive home ur point. Take this routine daily and see d magic.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Prodeegee(m): 9:24am On Sep 26, 2015
You also need to be carefulm if you drag a dog to a spot, it sees the spot as a discipline spot.

Best bet. Change the feeding schedule. What the time with which they poo. Its a gradual process but youll eventually achieve success.

Also if your pets cage is large, you might want to reduce the space.
Re: SUPER PET SUNDAY: Lets Talk About Spanking/flogging Your Dog. by Prodeegee(m): 9:26am On Sep 26, 2015
lacicrips:
If you're okay with having a dummy for a dog, then its fine to beat the heck outta them.

For those of us who want confident, fearless but loyal friends, there are far more effective ways we can control them. You have the key to their life - use it. Freedom, food, play, walks, etal are all there for you to have a balanced and well behaved dog.

I loved it when you said freedom. Most of us enslave our dogs. Just as some parents enslave their children. I respect my dogs alot.

(1) (Reply)

K9 Services / Female Brindle ENGLISH MASTIFF Puppy From Imported Parents For Sale(with pics) / Pug Vs Lhasa Apso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.