Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? (27079 Views)

Poll: Do You Think It Will Be Successful?

Yes: 65% (19 votes)
No: 34% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Join The Sucessful Team Of Enterpreneurs Today!!! SHEVA CAMPUS CATERING / Subway Vs Quiznos: Who Make The Better Subs? / Subway Workers Are Too Slow! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by phatrick: 7:15pm On Apr 13, 2009
Have been looking at the Subway Franchise business for a while now and noticed that there wasn't any in Nigeria, just wondering if i could get some opinions from you guys as to why you think it would or wouldnt be sucessful?

Many Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Hauwa1: 7:39pm On Apr 13, 2009
maybe, you never know until you try it.

but

are nigerians willing to pay 800 for a 6 inch sub? i mean average nig? not the noveau rich cool

give it a try. we need papa johns, domino pizza, pizza hut, cici etc in nig. we need red lobster kiss kiss kiss, dibella's etc all over nig. it's abt time we stop eating eba and fufu with ofe nsala, ujuju and agoyin for breakfast grin

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by phatrick: 8:13pm On Apr 13, 2009
i think it would have to be aimed towards the bigger cities where there is more money. but what would your opinions be Hauwa? if you havent tried it before would subway seem appealing to you? or are there other places where you can get these types of Sub-style Sanwiches?

sorry i am not a nigerian myself, i am actually british. so i dont ahve much insight into the nigerian culture. would be great if you could tell me some of the everyday eating habbits. Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Badriyyah(f): 8:43pm On Apr 13, 2009
Would Subway want to take their Name to Nigeria? I know a couple of people who were trying to bring McDonalds and KFC and got told that Nigeria is a no go, lol. Good luck though.

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by bluespice(f): 8:55pm On Apr 13, 2009
its sad that we have no big brands like subway, mc donalds, kfc n papa johns in 9ja
maybe they need a lil more convincing

better still we create our own brands offering similar products

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 8:58pm On Apr 13, 2009
I doubt it very much

Subway will only appeal to the rich and that wont be enough to break even

But having said that, every business move is a gamble

Who knows!!

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by lucabrasi(m): 9:49pm On Apr 14, 2009
a subways in nigeria will definitely be sucessful,but you have to be particular with the location as that is key to attracting the right demographics,once you are not willing to skimp on paying for the ideal location ten u ll be smilling
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by dominique(f): 11:26pm On Apr 14, 2009
its worth a try to bring it over here. nigerians love fast foods and are always willing to try out "the new joint".
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 14, 2009
Yes, and for 3 solid reasons

1. Nigerians love foreign food.

2. Nigerian loves unhealthy food (yes, subway is not that healthy)

3. Nigerians loves fast food.

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by dominique(f): 12:13am On Apr 15, 2009
makes you wonder why they're so overweight. . .
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Winnergal(f): 12:22am On Apr 15, 2009
Yep:

But make it affordable for the common people . . . kiss
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by SeanT21(f): 5:10am On Apr 15, 2009
hmm,SUBWAY:EAT FRESH!!

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by hellypelly(f): 3:38pm On Apr 15, 2009
LOL, considering that any franchise in Nigeria goes downhill(quality), in terms of sales it probably will, as for quality, I doubt it,
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by tpia: 3:41pm On Apr 15, 2009
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by hellypelly(f): 3:43pm On Apr 15, 2009
and you think success is only based on sales??
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Leilah(f): 4:16pm On Apr 15, 2009
They do not love foreign food, where did ya get that one from?
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2009
///
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by ilaugh1: 4:33pm On Apr 15, 2009
again, people talk out of ignorance - go to malls in Lagos/PH/Calabar and Abuja and see better and bigger franchaises working well.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 6:38pm On Apr 16, 2009
I suspect it is all about location, location location.  I wont expect you to plant a subway in oworoshoki or bariga?
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14am On Apr 17, 2009
Leilah:

They do not love foreign food, where did ya get that one from?
They do. . . .the ones in Nigeria who are still able to get Nigerian food.
If they're oversea and naija food are unavailable, they'll begin to detest foreign food

My thoughts sha wink

i_laugh:

again, people talk out of ignorance - go to malls in Lagos/PH/Calabar and Abuja and see better and bigger franchaises working well.
gb'enu e soun jor tongue
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 19, 2009
Nigerians would get tired of the food sooner or later. It's just bread with whatever is inside. Nothing exciting about that.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:47am On Apr 20, 2009
blacksta:

I suspect it is all about location, location location. I wont expect you to plant a subway in oworoshoki or bariga?

Ma exact sentimemts!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Biabeke(f): 12:58am On Apr 23, 2009
It might work, you never know. Just remember that the sandwiches usually taste bland. Whatever you do, add cayenne pepper and salt. Nigerians have a piquant and distinctive palate.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 11:16pm On Apr 29, 2009
This is sad.

Instead of wishing for Subway to expand into Nigeria, why don't we Nigerians come up with our own brand of fast food sandwich restaurants?

Subway is good and all, but I'd rather see a home grown, indigenous sandwich shop having locations all over naija, not some American chain.

Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by lalaboi(m): 10:31am On May 14, 2009
@topic. . . .

Def NOT!! grin
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 10:49am On May 14, 2009
Come on! Give us proper african food!
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Aderoy(m): 11:11am On May 14, 2009
@ topic,

From my experience, I have a Bangladeshi friend (based in the UK) who's been doing research into getting subway franchise (and a few other chain restaurants) to his country and was turned down, simply becasue the Company do not have any policy in place to cover that geographic region. I guess the same might apply to other countries inclduing Nigeria. Before looking at the success or otherwise of such a franchise I would advice you contact Subway to
1. enquire if you could get a franchise license to operate in Nigeria.
2. enuire on possible training/support failities
3. other miscellaneuos operational support

I have no doubt if you aren't afraid to take the risks and factor in running the bussines at a high operational cost for the first few years to break even tehn you'd be competing with the likes of Mr Biggs, Tastee Fried Chicken and Sweet Sensation in few years down the line. Like every other business in the Nigerian terrain, you'll have to take into account the special needs of the local environement for your business to thrive, factors such as electricity supply, providing your own facilities, clean water source and high quality food ingredients, etc).
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by solosimple(m): 11:19am On May 14, 2009
its worth a try to bring it over here. nigerians love fast foods and are always willing to try out "the new joint".
START WITH THE BIG PLACES.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Tmoni(m): 12:07pm On May 14, 2009
@Poster, I think you should change the name of the topic,

many people would think "A Subway" is actually an Underground Network of Trains instead of a sandwhich place

Would Subway (An Eatery) Be Sucessful in Nigeria would be better IMHO

@Topic, it might not be that succesful cos Nigerians associate bread/ sandwhiches with Breakfast and tend to eat really heavy at Lunch

U know if Oyinbo eat 6 inch bacon, meatballs and jalapeneos sandwhich with southwestern sauce (My favourite) with Walkers crips, they are ok for the lunch,

Compare that to Amala & Gbegiri with assorted meat that a guy would devour at lunch in Naija

Anyways, best of luck with ur business,

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 14, 2009
Tmoni:

many people would think "A Subway" is actually an Underground Network of Trains instead of a sandwhich place

you are right, i thought exactly the same thing only to realize they were talking about the fast food chain.

anyway i am surprised to hear that Mc Ds/KFC wouldnt allow someone to bring their franchise to 9ja?! WTF!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 12:44pm On May 14, 2009
Tmoni:

Exactly! I didn't know they were talking about sandwich subs.

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by baby123: 1:37pm On May 14, 2009
no bad belle nigerias dey cook food for house oooooooooooo, with mr bigs and other get as ebi ooooooooooooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Prepare Soyabeans / Keisuke Yamada Makes Banana Sculptures Using Toothpick & Spoon[ / The Real Services You Need At A Sit,With The Free Delivery Is Now Affordable.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.