Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola (840 Views)

No Yoruba Should Support Military Occupation Of East / Chaplain: Lagos CAN Backs Ambode, Says Sack In Order / I'll Use Tough Approach To Overcome Power Outage, Says Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by Ciscogod(m): 12:30am On Sep 21, 2015
Former Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has called for more support for his successor, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.

Fashola said any effort to develop the state would always remain a continuous exercise, adding that successive administrations must continue to make plan adequately for the state’s increasing population.

The former governor spoke at the installation of the state’s first Military Governor, Brig-Gen Mobolaji Johnson (rtd), as Baba Ijo (patron) of Salem Evangelical Church of Christ, Ilupeju at the weekend.

At the event were first civilian Governor Lateef Jakande and former Military Administrator Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu (rtd).

Ambode was represented by Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mrs. Olufunmilayo Balogun.

Fashola urged residents to support Ambode, saying the task of governing the state was tough and demanding.

He said the development model, which had evolved in the last 16 years, was made possible by the foundation laid by past governors and leaders, including Brig-Gen. Johnson.

The former governor said: “Lagos has remained the Centre of Excellence as it was desired to be from the beginning. But there remains work to do. And it would take a committee of actions to achieve that work.

“We must continue to give our support to the governor, because having been there, I speak from experience; it is a very tough job.”

“Being there also gives me the experience to know what he (Brig-Gen. Johnson) did; what Ndubuisi Kanu and Alhaji Jakande did. And what (Bola) Tinubu did. And it remains a continuous one-touch passing moment, because the work of developing Lagos will never finish. It is a work about people’s life and progress…nobody can finish the work.

“If the work could be finished, Alhaji Jakande, Brig-Gen. Johnson and Admiral Kanu would have finished everything and there would be nothing for us to do. Unfortunately, it has not ended. Ex-Governor Tinubu couldn’t end it; I couldn’t finish the work and neither will Governor Ambode. The effort continues.”

Fashola, who noted that he was four years-old when Brig-Gen. Johnson governed the state, said he laid a solid foundation for the state to prosper.

If the foundation laid by previous governors had been faulty, Fashola said Lagos would not have witnessed today’s development.

In his sermon, “Shining and Abundant Life”, taken from Matthew 5:16 and John 10:10, the Southwest Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Archbishop Magnus Atilade, observed that the desire for material wealth was making Christians lead lives not conforming to the teachings of Christ.

He decried the level of corruption in the country, saying it was depressing that some Christians, who were supposed to lead exemplary lives, engage in reprehensible vices, including drug trafficking, tax evasion, money laundering and public funds embezzlement.

Atilade said corrupt officials, irrespective of status and religion, must not be pardoned, but made to “vomit” their loot before seeking people’s forgiveness.

He said: “Somebody has said corrupt public officers should be forgiven, I say no way. If corrupt officers are asked to return all they have stolen and given a soft-landing, they would not have learnt anything.

“If anyone found to have stolen public funds is made to vomit everything and after that, he is stigmatised by being asked to march on the streets and say ‘I am a repentant thief. I have stolen from this country. Please, forgive me’, they would truly have a change of heart.”

The cleric said the regime of Brig-Gen. Johnson was corruption-free, adding that the former military governor laid good foundation for Jakande to take off peacefully.

Atilade, who described Brig-Gen. Johnson as child of God born into an illustrious family, said the retired general was a good example of a disciplinarian and community leader.

Ambode said Brig-Gen. Johnson’s service to the state remained a paradigm of excellence, saying he left a legacy of unblemished records and achievement.

The minister-in-charge, Superintendent Apostle Babatunde Odele, said Brig-Gen. Johnson donated generously to the church, which was why the retired general was honoured.

Brig-Gen. Johnson was formally installed and decorated with a garb of honour by Most Reverend Rufus Ositelu.

Accepting the title, Brig-Gen. Johnson, who spoke for a few seconds, said he was overwhelmed by the honour and love shown him by the church.

Other guests included the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, represented by Eletu Edibo of Lagos, Chief T.A. Gbadesere, Admiral Akin Aduwo (rtd), General C.Y. Ekwensi, Olujimi Jolaoso and Pa Babatunde Johnson, elder brother of Brig-Gen. Johnson, among others.
http://thenationonlineng.net/lagosians-should-support-ambode-says-fashola/
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by madridguy(m): 12:32am On Sep 21, 2015
EKO O NI BAJE.

APC
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by menix(m): 12:33am On Sep 21, 2015
To avoid probing ur _ass..
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by merry02(m): 12:43am On Sep 21, 2015
Undue sympathy!
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by Aromas: 1:02am On Sep 21, 2015
Eeyah Tinubu rubbish dis gentle man political reputation atlas. Lesson 2 all, u don't bite the finger that feed u.......... except Fayose that bite Obasanjo finger and still remain relevant in politics
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by coolitempa(f): 1:12am On Sep 21, 2015
Lagosians so miss this man.........this two term limit needs to be reviewed..... angry
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by mannobi(m): 2:11am On Sep 21, 2015
I just love the guy called Fash. A visionary leader
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by IamAtribalist: 2:21am On Sep 21, 2015
amala-eaters and their dangerous politics.
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by Bekwarra(m): 2:23am On Sep 21, 2015
We don hear
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by orunto27: 3:30am On Sep 21, 2015
And who supports the Ibos in Lagos demanding to annex Lagos to Biafra?
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by permsec: 4:59am On Sep 21, 2015
“If anyone found to have stolen public
funds is made to vomit everything
and after that, he is stigmatised by
being asked to march on the streets
and say ‘I am a repentant thief. I have
stolen from this country. Please, forgive me’.

Someone sitting close to you spent about #138 million to drill 2 boreholes and some other excruciating amount on silly projects and you couldnt face him? May God forgive you sir!
Re: Lagosians Should Support Ambode, Says Fashola by chiefbamo(m): 5:35am On Sep 21, 2015
See maturity,Fashola my role model.haters can hate but God has blessed you,no one can bring you down...they will end up loving you.

(1) (Reply)

Ministerial Appointment list: Don't Lie To Me, You Said September! / APC Is Working And OWELLE ROCHAS Is Also Working / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.