Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,464 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed (887 Views)

Did You Have This Kind Of Parent As A Kid? How Did You Survive? / Lady Celebrates Her Parent's 34th Wedding Anniversary With These PDA Photos / Should Children Say Thank You To Their Parent(s) After Every Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by oblongor: 8:56am On Sep 21, 2015
Sometimes we watch some kids talk and sing so clearly at d age of 2. I mean you can understand and know exactly everything they say and then you always wished yours can do the same or even better... And some parents will be wondering why their kids do not say a word at that age. Is it the fault of the Parents or is the child slow to learn or are there things that are not been done or taken into consideration?

Well, here are a few questions we should ask ourselves;

What do some parents do that some are not doing?
Is it as a result of home schooling/day care at a very tender age?
Are they wired differently or programmed to learn faster than some?
Is it as a result of some of the food they eat or don't eat?
Is it because some parents talk to their kids using 'baby talk' instead of normal clear sentences to make the child learn faster?
Some parents don't make their kids say the words as they should, they just point at it and its being given to them immediately without making them try to say the word?
Is it because we do not read a lot of books with pictorial diagrams to them?
Are the parents more concerned about what they eat and leave that part of education/knowledge out?
Are we nonchalant or care less about the age at which our kids start to talk?

Then what are we not doing right?

This is something we really would love to understand and learn more because we would love our kids to start talking, making sentences with words or even try to read from the age of 2.
I am also not saying it is wrong for kids at that age not to talk neither is it a problem but if some can say some words and make sentences from them, then others can. You just need to try and keep yourself informed.
For our children to become the leaders of tomorrow, it has to start now...

Parents/Teachers/Experts experienced in this matter should also share their experiences.
Like this saying goes "No Man Is An Island"
Share your thoughts in the comment for parent(s)/guardian(s) and to-be parent(s)/guardian(s).

*This is an exception for kids with some form of ailment, deformity or are physically challenged*.

Source: www.esther.com.ng

Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by Dyt(f): 9:01am On Sep 21, 2015
Every child is not same
Some attends public schools and be the best some private and still be best
It all depends on the child's development
Don't compare
Just do your own
Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by oblongor: 9:26am On Sep 21, 2015
@Dyt... You should not conclude when you have not read the article in full.

No one is comparing and there is nothing related to kids going to a private or public school in the article.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with being more knowledgeable and informed about different ways to improve the lives of your kids generally at a very tender age and at the comfort of your home.
Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by 5minsmadness: 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2015
1. More difficult for first born cos she has to learn how to talk from parents.
2. Easier for the second born etc cos she learns from her big sister who might s still be using simple English terms.
3. Avoid television esp cartoons where they talk too much but say very little.
4. Speak clearly to your child. Also speak simply. Don't talk to the child as if it's an adult.
5. Like dyt said, not all kids develop at the same pace. Some are faster than others in speech development. But if your child isn't making simple sentences after the age of 5(Einstein couldn't talk till he was six) then u might need to consult a speech therapist.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by MotherBee: 12:27pm On Sep 21, 2015
being a mom, one thing I have realized is that every child is different. Yes there is always that tendency to want to compare your child to another or even with siblings but that is really not the way to go about it. Let each child find and discover themselves individually. What they need from us as parents is positive reinforcement, support and encouragement.
That being said, if you are worried that your child has not reached certain milestones for his/her age, you could also check the environment. I have always been a firm believer that kids do better, learn better when they do things together in the appropriate environment. Eg, a one year old toddler is not too young for crèche, there he/she could learn the basics they need for the stage they're in....if you're a stay at home mom, you could also help by teaching your child at home the little things they need to know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by kashamyanat: 7:06am On Sep 22, 2015
Motherbee, am a mother of two grate guys I agree with you 99.9percent. But one thing you 4got to include i.e we should pray 4them daily 4 God's purpose to be acomplished in their life.

2 Likes

Re: Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed by MotherBee: 2:01pm On Sep 22, 2015
Kashamyanat yes you are absolutely right....is God over everything....thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Proud Dad Pictured Bathing His Newborn Baby (photo) / With 50k / I Saw This On My Facebook Wall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.