Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,467 members, 7,836,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year (1496 Views)

Did Paul Pogba Deserve the Young Player Award? / Christiano Ronaldo Wins PFA And Young Player Of The Year! / World Cup 2006 Best Young Player's Award: Who Will Take It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Cristalz(f): 1:14pm On Apr 14, 2009
The shortlist for the 2009 PFA player of the year award is out.  .  .with Manchester United players dominating the list.

1) Edwin Van der Saar
  2) Nemanja Vidic
  3) Rio Ferdinand
  4) Ryan Giggs
  5) Cristiano Ronaldo
6) Steven Gerrard
  Current title holder: Cristiano Ronaldo

The PFA Young Player of The Year shortlist:

1) Johnny Evans
  2) Rafael da Silva
  3) Gabriel Agbonlahor
  4) Ashley Young
  5) Aaron Lennon
  6) Stephen Ireland
  Current title holder: Francesc Fabregas

Read more here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=636955&sec=england&cc=3888

.  .  .and let the arguments begin!! grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tocdee(m): 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2009
When I saw this list on Sky, I initially thought it was a bad joke but unfortunately, its real.

Can anyone here 'look me in the eye' and tell me why Giggs (Sympathy Vote), Ronaldo and Rio are there ahead of Alonso and Lampard? Van Persie's even more concievable than Giggs who hasn't even made up to 10 starts this season!!!!!!!! Ronaldo has been highly criticized by Utd fans and recently, his manager for his work ethic. Rooney would have made a better nominee.

And don't even get me started on Van Der Sar; it makes one wonder what players like Haangeland, Jagielka, Tim Cahill, Kevin Davies and co have to do to get recognized.

Used to look forward to the PFA awards but questions have got to be asked here.

Gerrard or Vidic for the Award. Gerrard for me as a RED!! grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by mukina2: 1:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
* hissssss* angry angry angry
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Cristalz(f): 1:42pm On Apr 14, 2009
@tocdee

The nominations took place before United's current dip in form.  .  .when the nominations were on United were on top, in great shape and thrashing every team in sight. And VDS was breaking goalie records.
Then, Liverpool were somewhere in the crowd, and Chelsea guys were letting their beef for Scolari make them play like novices grin

The only player on the list I'm surprised at is Ryan Giggs.  .  .I agree that his is mostly sentiment. But the others, they deserve the nomination, as well as the award based on their individual and team performances.
Just that one player deserves it more than the others, of course.

@Muki

Quit hating. Ain't nobody's fault y'all spent the better part of the season struggling for 4th place with A.Villa grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tocdee(m): 1:51pm On Apr 14, 2009
Cristalz:

@tocdee

The nominations took place before United's current dip in form.  .  .when the nominations were on United were on top, in great shape and thrashing every team in sight. And VDS was breaking goalie records.
Then, Liverpool were somewhere in the crowd grin

That's the problem why vote for PFA player of the year based on the first few months of the season? These votes are made in January (I believe) so what is Ronaldo doing there when he missed the most part of 6 weeks at the start of the season? Also VDS is only as good as his impressive defence which we've all seen over the past month or so with injuries/suspensions to Rio and Vidic. Alonso and Lampard over VDS and Rio for me though.

P.S Liverpool were not 'in the crowd' in January, they were top of the league smiley !
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 1:55pm On Apr 14, 2009
why shouldnt Giggs be on the list?

to me, hes one of UTDS best peformer till date

Vida or Giggs for me.
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 1:59pm On Apr 14, 2009
Criz

What a joke!

PFA and the FA are bunch of muthafuckers!!

Whoever made this list should have thier balls basted and slowly roasted inside an oven under maximum heating power!

Awon Oloriburuku!
cheesy
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:00pm On Apr 14, 2009
tkb417:

Have you forgotten this is not all about United but about the whole of the Premiership?
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 2:05pm On Apr 14, 2009
Have you forgotten this is not all about United but about the whole of the Premiership?
are u suffering from cataracts?
cant u read again? the list says its all about UTD
so who am i to object

Giggs or Vida tongue
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 2:07pm On Apr 14, 2009
Criz

What a joke!

PFA and the FA are bunch of muthafuckers!!

Whoever made this list should have thier balls basted and slowly roasted inside an oven under maximum heating power!

Awon Oloriburuku
hehehehe
say that in pidgin grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Cristalz(f): 2:10pm On Apr 14, 2009
@tocdee

Each member of the PFA nominates two players every Spring.  .  .that should be September in the UK (if that crappy climate allows them Spring grin ). Then the shortlist is made in April. Not sure when the nominations get closed though.

Going by this, when the nominations were going on, United were rocking it, and they did bounce Liverpool from the top spot. Chelsea - wobbling along. I agree, this thing should be based on the entire season, but.  .  .season's almost over.

@TKB

That's the thing.  .  .Giggs is up there mainly because of his past record, not present. He is an amazing player, but this season, others have performed better.

@Brash
 Cool it jo tongue Like I said before, ain't nobody's fault Arsenal spent the better part of the season struggling for 4th place with A.Villa grin And remember, your players were also hit for long spells by the injury angel, so instead of working for awards they were lounging on hospital beds chasing nurses grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tocdee(m): 2:16pm On Apr 14, 2009
tkb417:

why shouldnt Giggs be on the list?

11 starts. 12 substitute appearances. 1 goal. Let's all have a good laugh at Utd's best performer!   grin  grin   grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by mukina2: 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2009
angry angry useless FA angry
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2009
11 starts. 12 substitute appearances. 1 goal. Let's all have a good laugh at Utd's best performer!

yeah, say that to those who shortlisted okiz, not me
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by debosky(m): 2:20pm On Apr 14, 2009
Personally, the awards list is a load of bollocks, at least for player of the year. The young player of the year bit is a bit more realistic, but still not properly balanced IMO.

It seems the success of the side you're in is more important than what you actually do on the pitch.

If CR is on that list, why not Anelka?   Why on earth is a washed up Giggs there? If he deserves to be there, then Silvestre should be there as well, cos in my opinion, they've contributed similar levels to their clubs.  grin grin

Ferdinand OR Vidic, but not them both - with Vidic's calamitous decline in the past few weeks, I see no reason for him to be there - given that half of the time he had been escaping with elbowing opponents and pulling shirts.

Why is Da Silva on that list   What has he done except score one goal against Arsenal and play better than the useless and washed up Neville? Heck even my grandma would defend better than Neville.  grin grin

Now that I've said that, now to the possible winners.

Van Der Sar would be my pick from that list - his consistency and focus at his age are worthy of mention. No other goalie has been as good as he has been so he would deserve it.

Young player? I'd give it to Agbonlahor - he was absolutely fantastic for Villa in the first half of the season, and before his injury was getting back to his menacing best as well.

The argument about early in the season is complete tosh - Gabby was hotter than CR in that period, and if that was the basis he deserves to be in the PFA player of the year category.
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 2:23pm On Apr 14, 2009
If CR is on that list, why not Anelka? Why on earth is a washed up Giggs there? If he deserves to be there, then Silvestre should be there as well, cos in my opinion, they've contributed similar levels to their clubs.
ure high on drugs!!
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:26pm On Apr 14, 2009
tkb417:

hehehehe
say that in pidgin grin

I am afraid, i can only translate it in Swahili! grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by debosky(m): 2:28pm On Apr 14, 2009
tkb417:

ure high on drugs!!

Giggs has scored 3 goals this season in 38 games

Silvestre has scored 2 goals in 11 games - by that ratio, Silvestre is better than Giggs (remember the own goal  grin)

Giggs is washed up - MU have been surviving on other teams being defeated before taking to the pitch, not any wonder performance from Giggs. There is absolutely no reason why Giggs should be on that list.
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:30pm On Apr 14, 2009
Cristalz:

@Brash
Cool it jo tongue Like I said before, ain't nobody's fault Arsenal spent the better part of the season struggling for 4th place with A.Villa grin And remember, your players were also hit for long spells by the injury angel, so instead of working for awards they were lounging on hospital beds chasing nurses grin

You know you are the only one that can calm me down! kiss

But having said that, i aint worried or losing sleep about it! kiss tongue

It is all a fraud anyway and the FA is notorious for that!!!

The same FA that hit my 3rd choice club, Luton Town FC with a massive 30point deduction resulting in thier relegation from the Pro League

The same FA that literally favour one club over another blatantly,

The same FA full of idiots and imbeciles with below par common sense

The same FA full of retards with warped sense of thinking worse than TUMFULU's!

THAT LIST IS THE JOKE OF THE CENTURY and trust me, 99.999991% of footy fans wont agree with it! grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tocdee(m): 2:32pm On Apr 14, 2009
Cristalz:

@tocdee

Each member of the PFA nominates two players every Spring.  .  .that should be September in the UK (if that crappy climate allows them Spring grin ). Then the shortlist is made in April. Not sure when the nominations get closed though.

Going by this, when the nominations were going on, United were rocking it, and they did bounce Liverpool from the top spot. Chelsea - wobbling along. I agree, this thing should be based on the entire season, but.  .  .season's almost over.

You make very valid points though I really don't think Spring comes in September anywhere in the world. More like March/April. Again these awrds should be based solely on personal contributions NOT team position, don't you agree? Lampard must be kicking his locker now!!
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:33pm On Apr 14, 2009
BTW where is Sauron?

I need to square up to him on this! cheesy
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by mukina2: 2:35pm On Apr 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

BTW where is Sauron?

I need to square up to him on this! cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tkb417(m): 2:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
we can even understand tocdee's fraustration cos Gerrard should be there, or even Torres

but whats the problem with these Gaynners?

Sylvestre ko, Gibbs ni grin grin grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by tocdee(m): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2009
tkb417:

we can even understand tocdee's fraustration cos Gerrard should be there, or even Torres

but whats the problem with these Gaynners?

Sylvestre ko, Gibbs ni grin grin grin

grin grin grin . I think its more of disbelief than frustration! But at least Gerrard's there. Torres has even been more impressive than Giggs, Rio and VDS put together!!  grin

Fellaini anyone? Dempsey?
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2009
mukina2:

grin grin grin grin grin

That laugh is dodgy Mukinatrix

Wetin u and Seun do Sauron?

Make una carry am comot naw naw
!! cheesy
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by mukina2: 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

That laugh is dodgy Mukinatrix

Wetin u and Seun do Sauron?

Make una carry am comot naw naw
!! cheesy

wetin? grin we did nothing to him Sharon lives grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by MrCrackles(m): 2:45pm On Apr 14, 2009
mukina2:

wetin? grin we did nothing to him Sharon lives grin

Ok but make i do my investigation first!

Dis one wey you dey shine teeth, i fear oo!

Laydee i fear you ooo
! kiss cheesy
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by mukina2: 2:58pm On Apr 14, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin tongue kiss wink tongue

This award dey vex me jo angry
why didnt they add fergie to the list na angry
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Cristalz(f): 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2009
@Debo

Gabby was not yet 23 at the time nominations were made, which is why he didn't make the senior category.

As for Rafael, you're being biased. He has scored only one goal so far in the EPL, but for a kid his age, he plays like he has been playing pro soccer since age 5! He absolutely deserves to be on that list.

Giggs got voted out of sentiment, but he ain't washed up. At his age, the man can still cut it in MF and get the occasional goal/ make assists.

@Brash

This is all PFA. . .the FA's not involved grin Relax.

@tocdee
I agree, it should be based on the individual player's contribution, but remember that these nominations are made by people with their own personal beliefs and standards. Yeah, they are all professionals in the game, but I think their humanness gets into the picture a little.

As for Torres. . .he was out injured a number of times this season, wasn't he?
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by debosky(m): 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2009
Cristalz:

@Debo

Gabby was not yet 23 at the time nominations were made, which is why he didn't make the senior category.

As for Rafael, you're being biased. He has scored only one goal so far in the EPL, but for a kid his age, he plays like he has been playing pro soccer since age 5! He absolutely deserves to be on that list.
In that case Kieran Gibbs and Walcott deserve to be on that list since they play like they've been playing pro soccer since age inside the womb!  grin grin

Giggs got voted out of sentiment, but he ain't washed up. At his age, the man can still cut it in MF and get the occasional goal/ make assists.

Gary Speed at 35 could also cut it in midfield with the occasional goal/assists with Bolton - he never made it to the PFA list.  Let's say the truth - Giggs doesn't drink so all the alcohol he gets is passed on to the other players so they voted him solely because of that.  grin grin

Even Silvestre cuts it occasionally in defence, scoring a few goals, assists and even own goals to boot. grin grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Cristalz(f): 4:01pm On Apr 14, 2009
@Debo

See this man, you want to compare Silvestre with Giggs? Don't let Amadioha fire your tongue grin
Gary Speed is also not on the same level as Ryan Giggs.  .  .take that anywhere and see if it will be refuted.

Thank God for Kieran Gibbs and Walcott, but unfortunately, when a team is bad, even the best player in there will look bad 'cos all his efforts will be thwarted. And after a little while, the bad effect will influence his own play grin
That's probably what made the members of the PFA think Arsenal players weren't just worth it, 'cos for the most part of the season, every one of them played like medium crap.  .  .even those who play like they've been playing pro soccer since daddy's tadpole fused with momma's egg! grin
Re: 2009 PFA Player Of The Year/ PFA Young Player Of The Year by Sauron1: 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2009
I'd say:

Vidic
Lampard
Gerrard
Ronaldo
Giggsy
Jagielka

Johnny Evans should win Young Player Of The Year(by default)!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2012: Brazil spy on Falconets / Moses Daddy-Ajala, Nigerian 'Cristiano Ronaldo', Draws International Interest / Kim Kardashian And Kanye West Make S’mores During Utah Ski Tri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.