Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language (1532 Views)

Unilag Maths Lecturer Teaches Class With No Students At All / What Subject Do You Think This Class Teacher Teaches? / Chinese Language Students In Enugu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language by cuteboy2: 7:53am On Sep 23, 2015
Source: Guardian

The Administrator Grace High School, Gbagada, Lagos, Mrs. Tokunboh Edun, has explained that the school will continue to teach her students Chinese language, also known as Mandarin, despite criticism by stakeholders that Nigerian children are learning more foreign languages at the expense of indigenous languages.

Edun spoke in Lagos at the public presentation of Chinese Made Easy, a book written by Mr. Olaniyi Banwo of the University of Lagos. The book, which translates Chinese words into Yoruba, is meant to teach Yoruba speakers how to learn Mandarin.

According to Edun, those who are complaining against exposure of Nigerian students to foreign languages are not mindful of current trends in world policies and business. She disclosed that Grace High School became the first private school to introduce Mandarin to Nigerian students because the school is aware of latest trend worldwide. She added that “right now, Europeans and Americans are learning how to speak Chinese language because of the giant strides attained by china in global business and International relations. Learning mandarin has become a global trend which cannot be ignored by those who want to play an effective role in global business.”

Mrs. Edun said she has discovered that students who can speak major international languages like French, English and Chinese often have an edge in terms of competition for international jobs. “A mastery of Chinese language gives the speaker access to business opportunities in the most populous country of the world.”

The school administrator, while commending the author for making Chinese language easy to learn by Yoruba speakers and making Yoruba easy for mandarin speakers, gave three reasons Nigerians should take learning of Chinese language as a serious business. First, she observed that the Chinese are making rapid in-roads to Africa. In recent past, the latest data indicates that China is clearly emerging as Africa’s biggest trading partner. Also she observed that Chinese investment in Africa is expanding in many sectors like Agriculture, Industry and Social infrastructure. Edun also noted that even in terms of population, it is a known fact that one out of five human beings is a Chinese.
Re: School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language by McCarlito(m): 8:01am On Sep 23, 2015
One thing about anything Chinese...

They don't last grin grin grin grin grin
Re: School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language by cuteboy2: 9:20am On Sep 23, 2015
McCarlito:
One thing about anything Chinese...

They don't last grin grin grin grin grin

Lol. Even the language also? grin grin grin
Re: School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language by Latundekitan: 11:17am On Aug 08, 2017
The benefits of learning Chinese language can not be waved. I am a proof
Re: School In Gbagada Teaches Chinese Language by Yinxies(f): 12:02pm On Apr 17, 2020
please i want to lear the language. would you help me? 08066452067

i am sending my number because we are not much here.

Latundekitan:
The benefits of learning Chinese language can not be waved. I am a proof

(1) (Reply)

Chevening Scholarship 2016/2017 Applicant Thread / JAMB 2017 Recommended UTME Novel Independence Chapter To Chapter Summary / I Lost My School Fees Originally Receipt, How Can I Get Back?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.