Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,604 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Slut Walk For Women's Right - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Slut Walk For Women's Right (21623 Views)

Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / What Will You Do If You Walk Into This Type Of Situation? (photos) / Re:slut Walk For Women's Right In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2015
bukatyne:

People used to remove their jewelries when going to Balogun market; people till now do not use their phones in traffic or carry their bags on their laps.

We need to make ourselves unattractive to the sick ones as much as possible.

Besides, there is a reason indecent dressing is called indecent.

And whosoever rapes a woman would face the consequences of his actions whether she was wearing a burka or a bikini.... if l had my way

BUT...

No matter the length of the rapist's prison term, it doesn't undo the fact that the woman has been raped and defiled.

The movement is not about women going half-na.ked to dangerous places. It is called common sense. The movement is against victim shaming.
Get the message right. And whether you wear a burka or not, doesn't change the fact that you can fall victim to ra.pe.

And the fact that we tell women to cover their bodies is counterproductive. I have been to a few Arabic countries and I can tell you that men start salivating once they see some bare skin, ONLY A LITTLE whereas men in Spain, where women are almost half-na.ked in summer are cool and relaxed because they are USED to it. This should get people thinking.

Why does NL change the word na.ked to unclad? Is the word indecent in itself? I swear, this is sick.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 11:28pm On Sep 30, 2015
If these
NO MORE SEXUAL VIOLENCE
- NO MORE VICTIM BLAMING
- NO MORE DEROGATORY LABELS
- NO MORE GENDER INEQUALITY
Are what it's about then there is nothing wrong with the ideology.

Also as much as I am an advocate of decent clothing I do not feel it is enough reason for rape.

In fact the recent cases of rape in the news are underaged victims with no curves to flaunt whatsoever.

We should be fighting for keeping rapists off the streets not clothing.
This country needs to prioritize, address the issue of psychos on the streets then we can discuss having more clothes on.
The little girls that had been raped all these while had clothes on.

First things first, enough of this thinking backwards. This is why the whites continue to see Africans as uncivilized humans. We do not prioritize. We keep chasing irrelevant things while leaving the relevant unattended.

Of all the cases of rape that have been reported on nairalands home page 90% were minors who didn't have any curves or boobs hanging out.

Shouldn't that tell you that this is not a clothing issue, it's a mental disorder and rapists should be kept off the streets.

That's what you educated people should be fighting for, make the society a safe place for your daughters, she doesn't have to look over her shoulders all the time.

Your daughters will never be safe even with the pepper sprays, hijabs and all that shit.
The psychos will just device better means to come after them. They live among you and even in your homes. You must put them where they belong; behind bars or in rehab homes or be ready to build castles as tall as the high heavens so they cant touch your daughters.
As long as they are on the streets no child is safe. Even the personal bodyguard you hired for her may be a rapist.

I just don't get it, is there a wave of stupidity going over Nigeria? even among the educated?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
Ladies in my village back before the Era of the white man's civilization wore 2-piece wrappers that looked like bikinis woven from cotton thread.

Despite the apparent unclothedness of the women back in d days, they weren't raped like is common today, isn't that enough to tell you that victim shaming is very stupid and cruel?
In fact that question should never come into play in a rape case. Little girls could play around bare chested and nothing will happen.

Fight for a safer society.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 8:18am On Oct 01, 2015
^^ You are right, women should fight for a safer society by dressing in a manner that might incite criminals to assault them, after all it's not a clothing issue at all.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 12:24pm On Oct 01, 2015
ApexTitan:
^^ You are right, women should fight for a safer society by dressing in a manner that might incite criminals to assault them, after all it's not a clothing issue at all.
lol. You don't get it. I am a psychologist and I can tell you that clothing doesn't incite rapists.
It's a deep sitted psychological disorder not arising from clothing.

Even if every woman in the world would face veils like the Arabs, rapists would still rape that. It won't reduce the incidences.

I get really pissed off when educated people make stupid assumptions without doing any research.

Rape doesn't have anything to do with clothing, rapists are not incited by what you are wearing. As soon as they get the opportunity whether you are fully clothed or not they would do what they know how to do best.

If there was any correlation between clothing and rape do you not think that there should be no incidences of rape in places like the middle east, India inclusive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Shymm3x: 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
Ladies in my village back before the Era of the white man's civilization wore 2-piece wrappers that looked like bikinis woven from cotton thread.

Despite the apparent unclothedness of the women back in d days, they weren't raped like is common today, isn't that enough to tell you that victim shaming is very stupid and cruel?
In fact that question should never come into play in a rape case. Little girls could play around bare chested and nothing will happen.

Fight for a safer society.

But you'd admit that back then, everything wasn't as utter sexualised as the society we live in today and sex was somewhat sacred back then, yes? I believe the society also contributed a lot to what's happening today.

And what village are you from, if I may ask?
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2015
Shymm3x:

But you'd admit that back then, everything wasn't as utter sexualised as the society we live in today and sex was somewhat sacred back then, yes? I believe the society also contributed a lot to what's happening today.

And what village are you from, if I may ask?

Yes, heck you should see the kind of skirts n dresses my mum wore in the early sixties, it would shame today's mini skirts. Yet were they raped?

Rape crimes has increased because rapists get away with it. In the old days if you were unfortunate to have raped someone even your family become outcasts automatically but in this modern day people are proud of being rapists

I am from ijebugrin

1 Like

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Shymm3x: 2:42pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:

Yes, heck you should see the kind of skirts n dresses my mum wore in the early sixties, it would shame today's mini skirts. Yet were they raped?

Rape crimes has increased because rapists get away with it. In the old days if you were unfortunate to have raped someone even your family become outcasts automatically but in this modern day people are proud of being rapists

I am from ijebugrin

Not holding brief for rapists...however, you'd agree with me that the society wasn't as sexualised as it's today. And who knows what happened then since a lot of things were taboos. Even today, most rape victims are scared of reporting rape due to the stigma attached to it. Now imagine how the 60s would've been.

Lmao! Stop telling porkies - you're not Ijebu. grin Ijebu has no village - we've always had towns and lived in townships. tongue

1 Like

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
lol. You don't get it. I am a psychologist and I can tell you that clothing doesn't incite rapists.

Even if every woman in the world would face veils like the Arabs, rapists would still rape that. It won't reduce the incidences.

I get really pissed off when educated people make stupid assumptions without doing any research.

Rape doesn't have anything to do with clothing, rapists are not incited by what you are wearing. As soon as they get the opportunity whether you are fully clothed or not they would do what they know how to do best.

If there was any correlation between clothing and rape do you not think that there should be no incidences of rape in places like the middle east, India inclusive

Whoa! shocked So we have it on your authority that the scanty cladding on supple bodied female will have no effect on a criminal minded man whatsoever. It will not incite in any form a sex-starved man with no regard for personal restraint to have sex.

OK.

How many mothers and sisters out there are willing to put your claim to the test? Ladies please in order to prove this please dress only in a perforated bra and g-string, make sure you oil your bodies down to a glossy sheen too for good measure, then take a lazy stroll through the notorious streets of Compton or Mushin at night. If you should come across any sex-starved mean faced man don't worry, heck stop and pretend to pick up something you dropped making sure your derrière is full view of said mean faced man. After that come and tell us your experience.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 3:02pm On Oct 01, 2015
Shymm3x:

Not holding brief for rapists...however, you'd agree with me that the society wasn't as sexualised as it's today. And who knows what happened then since a lot of things were taboos. Even today, most rape victims are scared of reporting rape due to the stigma attached to it. Now imagine how the 60s would've been.

Lmao! Stop telling porkies - you're not Ijebu. grin Ijebu has no village - we've always had towns and lived in townships. tongue
most of the traditional dances back then especially in the east were sensual. Shaking your buttock vigorously in 2 small piece wrappers, what could be more sensual than that

Ijebu is a village with very dusty uncompleted road projects. I don't even think they have electricity yet grin

2 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2015
ApexTitan:

Whoa! shocked So we have it on your authority that the scanty cladding on supple bodied female will have no effect on a criminal minded man whatsoever. It will not incite in any form a sex-starved man with no regard for personal restraint to have sex.

OK.

How many mothers and sisters out there are willing to put your claim to the test? Ladies please in order to prove this please dress only in a perforated bra and g-string, make sure you oil your bodies down to a glossy sheen too for good measure, then take a lazy stroll through the notorious streets of Compton or Mushin at night. If you should come across any sex-starved mean faced man don't worry, heck stop and pretend to pick up something you dropped making sure your derrière is full view of said mean faced man. After that come and tell us your experience.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
lol, so you think only sex starved men rape.? Professor ndifon could have had any woman of his choice at his Beck and call but he chose to rape, same with the afeez guy from unilag.

I would also like to know if the 14yr old girl who was raped recently in Ikorodu by a bike man was dressed seductively with well tanned and oiled skin.

Men who rape do not do it because no women are available or because women are sexually exposed. You want to tell me pedophilia is caused by d little babies well oiled bodies
It's a PSYCHOLOGICAL disoder just like the kleptomania which your country's politicians are suffering from. Unless you keep the thieves away from your political offices, your treasuries are not safe. Do you say the monies were too enticing to the politicians so it's not their fault they carted it away?

I am sick of Nigeria seriously, you make excuses for rapists and thieves and kidnappers. How bad can it be

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Shymm3x: 3:11pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
most of the traditional dances back then especially in the east were sensual. Shaking your buttock vigorously in 2 small piece wrappers, what could be more sensual than that

Ijebu is a village with very dusty uncompleted road projects. I don't even think they have electricity yet grin

Being sexualised is mental conditioning and nothing physical. Back then, the society wasn't so much about having sex with just anyone...it was more of a thing done by adults behind closed doors. Unlike today where sex is everything and the number of people you have sex with, the more ya bragging rights. Do you get the drift now?

Lol at the vicious attack on my Ijebuland. Blame Nigeria for turning my beloved Ijebu into a cesspit...but that doesn't negate the fact that we've always been township dwellers. tongue
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 3:20pm On Oct 01, 2015
Shymm3x:

Being sexualised is mental conditioning and nothing physical. Back then, the society wasn't so much about having sex with just anyone...it was more of a thing done by adults behind closed doors. Unlike today where sex is everything and the number of people you have sex with, the more ya bragging rights. Do you get the drift now?

Lol at the vicious attack on my Ijebuland. Blame Nigeria for turning my beloved Ijebu into a cesspit...but that doesn't negate the fact that we've always been township dwellers. tongue
What could be more sexualized than our fore father's who had as many is 10 wives,you think the women were just for decorative purposes Sex was involved joor. believe me, there were rapists or people with rape tendencies, in fact sincerely there were a few cases of rape which were met with stiff penalties, this served as a deterrent for those who had such tendencies. but in today's society rapists go scot free. That is why I keep saying it's not about mental conditioning or how sexuaized the society has become. It is a psychological thing.
How do you explain a married man whose wife lives under same roof with him raping his own child and blaming it on the devil?
Why do rapists never blame the half naked girls.? Why do they always blame the devil

Even my village was the hub of ancient civilization but what do we have today? Kleptomaniac politicians who have decided to loot us blind

2 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by 5minsmadness: 3:30pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:

@bolded is not true pls.
You would do well to differentiate between a rapist, a serial rapist, a nymphomaniac and a paedophile.
****re-enters ghost mode.

2 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Shymm3x: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
believe me, there were rapists or people with rape tendencies, in fact sincerely there were a few cases of rape which were met with stiff penalties, this served as a deterrent for those who had such tendencies. but in today's society rapists go scot free. That is why I keep saying it's not about mental conditioning or how sexuaized the society has become. It is a psychological thing.

Even my village was the hub of ancient civilization but what do we have today? Kleptomaniac politicians who have decided to loot us blind

But I doubt the first thing most folks thought about back then whenever they see an half-nak3d woman was sex. It's so bad today that as a guy, when you meet a chic, the first thing you're thinking about is what she's going to look like nak3d and what sex with her would feel like. That's just the mental conditioning and how sexualised the society is. Also, when you turn on ya TV, almost everything is about sex. It was never like that.

Who told you rapists go scot-free in today's world? Rape is a very serious offence...so serious that even anyone can claim rape and they'd take it seriously and make ya life miserable. That's how serious it's.

Nigeria is a cesspit...let's leave that dream killing contraption out of this. grin
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 3:38pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
lol, so you think only sex starved men rape.? Professor ndifon could have had any woman of his choice at his Beck and call but he chose to rape, same with the afeez guy from unilag.

I would also like to know if the 14yr old girl who was raped recently in Ikorodu by a bike man was dressed seductively with well tanned and oiled skin.

Men who rape do not do it because no women are available or because women are sexually exposed. You want to tell me pedophilia is caused by d little babies well oiled bodies
It's a PSYCHOLOGICAL disoder just like the kleptomania which your country's politicians are suffering from. Unless you keep the thieves away from your political offices, your treasuries are not safe. Do you say the monies were too enticing to the politicians so it's not their fault they carted it away?

I am sick of Nigeria seriously, you make excuses for rapists and thieves and kidnappers. How bad can it be

Hold up.

Do not try to flip the script here; no one is making excuses for criminals or rapists. Every reasonable person here condemns the act so your moral high-ground accusations won't fly.

Apparently you just jumped into this debate without reading the submissions on the other pages. I have said repeatedly that we agree that not all rape cases are caused by a lady's dressing or lack of. The point me and several other posters having been making is that ladies will do well to not dress in a provocative or slutty manner in order not to incite criminals. Nowhere was it said that such dressing was the cause of ALL rapes, how many times does that need to be repeated on this thread? Haba.

1 Like

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 3:42pm On Oct 01, 2015
5minsmadness:

@bolded is not true pls.
You would do well to differentiate between a rapist, a serial rapist, a nymphomaniac and a paedophile.
****re-enters ghost mode.

they are all mental disorders, abnormal sexual orientations. and except for nyphomania, everyone of them is a crime

Normal guys would lose an erection at a girl who was screaming, kicking, crying. But for a rapist, it only serves as a kind of turn on, they get harder instead, it arouses them.
Pedophilia, you already know that one.
Nyphomania is also a disorder not influenced by what someone is wearing, they just feel that urge to have sex constantly, no amount of sex satisfies their drive. There is a difference between been a nympho and having a high sex drive which is perfectly healthy and normal cause someone with a high drive can be satisfied but a nympho can never be satisfied

All the above medical conditions you mentioned require serious mental attention

3 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by 5minsmadness: 3:49pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
they are all mental disorders, abnormal sexual orientations. and except for nyphomania, everyone of them is a crime

Normal Decent guys would lose an erection at a girl who was screaming, kicking, crying. But for a rapist, it only serves as a kind of turn on, they get harder instead, it arouses them.
Pedophilia, you already know that one.
Nyphomania is also a disorder not influenced triggered by what someone is wearing, they just feel that urge to have sex constantly, no amount of sex satisfies their drive. There is a difference between been a nympho and having a high sex drive which is perfectly healthy and normal cause someone with a high drive can be satisfied but a nympho can never be satisfied

All the above medical conditions you mentioned require serious mental attention

Most of what you have said is correct.
However it is wrong to surmise that a rapist will not be turned on by the provocative dressing of the female sex.
Are u saying those that practice BD_SM have a mental disorder?

1 Like

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:05pm On Oct 01, 2015
ApexTitan:

Hold up.

Do not try to flip the script here; no one is making excuses for criminals or rapists. Every reasonable person here condemns the act so your moral high-ground accusations won't fly.

Apparently you just jumped into this debate without reading the submissions on the other pages. I have said repeatedly that we agree that not all rape cases are caused by a lady's dressing or lack of. The point me and several other posters having been making is that ladies will do well to not dress in a provocative or slutty manner in order not to incite criminals. Nowhere was it said that such dressing was the cause of ALL rapes, how many times does that need to be repeated on this thread? Haba.
the thread was dangerously tilted towards the "what you wore caused you to be raped" I had to correct that erroneous ideology.
You assume that every reasonable person here condemns the acts without the usual what we're you wearing factor but if an anonymous poll was conducted right now you would be shocked at how many Nigerians think how you are dressed is directly proportional to the chances of you being raped.

To cut short the long talks let me summarize by saying 'HOW YOU ARE DRESSED DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REDUCE YOUR CHANCES IF BEING RAPED, IF A RAPIST IS NEARBY AND OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU ARE ALL WRAPPED UP LIKE AN EGYPTIAN MUMMY OR AS NAKED AS THE DAY YOU WERE BORN, YOU ARE NOT SAFE'

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:10pm On Oct 01, 2015
5minsmadness:

Most of what you have said is correct.
However it is wrong to surmise that a rapist will not be turned on by the provocative dressing of the female sex.
Are u saying those that practice BD_SM have a mental disorder?
I maintain the word normal rather than decent because anything as related to a disorder is abnormal. Decency only comes to play when I am discussing on moral grounds which I am not on. I am on mental health, understanding the phenomenon behind rape and the working of the mind of rapists. BD_SM is an abnormal sexual orientation, just like homosexuality, and other fetishes.
By the way only a minute percentage of rapists are turned on by provocative dressing. Out of the rape cases that has been on nairalands page for the past one month can you point out a single one that was caused by provocative dressing I'd like to see at least 1.
By the way do you realize that some Homosexuals get turned on by a guys ripped abs? Would you justify the Homosexuals too when then go into a rape frenzy? Would you blame it on the male victims showing off their 6packs.?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 4:24pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
the thread was dangerously tilted towards the "what you wore caused you to be raped" I had to correct that erroneous ideology.
You assume that every reasonable person here condemns the acts without the usual what we're you wearing factor but if an anonymous poll was conducted right now you would be shocked at how many Nigerians think how you are dressed is directly proportional to the chances of you being raped.

To cut short the long talks let me summarize by saying 'HOW YOU ARE DRESSED DOES NOT IN ANYWAY REDUCE YOUR CHANCES IF BEING RAPED , IF A RAPIST IS NEARBY AND OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU ARE ALL WRAPPED UP LIKE AN EGYPTIAN MUMMY OR AS NAKED AS THE DAY YOU WERE BORN, YOU ARE NOT SAFE'

Good your point is noted ... And challenged. Can you prove the line in bold?

Should women, in adhering to your claim, dress as seductively as they can manage when they go to known rough areas. Would you advice your daughter to not consider what she wears at all?
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:26pm On Oct 01, 2015
Shymm3x:

But I doubt the first thing most folks thought about back then whenever they see an half-nak3d woman was sex. It's so bad today that as a guy, when you meet a chic, the first thing you're thinking about is what she's going to look like nak3d and what sex with her would feel like. That's just the mental conditioning and how sexualised the society is. Also, when you turn on ya TV, almost everything is about sex. It was never like that.

Who told you rapists go scot-free in today's world? Rape is a very serious offence...so serious that even anyone can claim rape and they'd take it seriously and make ya life miserable. That's how serious it's.

Nigeria is a cesspit...let's leave that dream killing contraption out of this. grin
look at you shymexx Google is your friend. Check out the high percentage of rapists who go scot free against the number who do the time. Like you said Nigeria is a cesspit and I do hope things get better soon tho

3 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Shymm3x: 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
look at you shymexx Google is your friend. Check out the high percentage of rapists who go scot free against the number who do the time. Like you said Nigeria is a cesspit and I do hope things get better soon tho

Well, I don't know any rapist that has gone scot-free - but I know a lot of folks who have been wrongly accused of rape. grin

Consent is now very difficult to define these. Heck, some guy was just telling me recently that they're investigating him for rape. And I know he isn't that type of guy. But his problem is white chics and I already told to leave 'em snow bunnies alone. You'd be surprised that this isn't the first time...he was accused of rape by a next white chic when he was like 18. That put his life and football career on hold for three years. The case just got dismissed about a year ago and now he's caught a next one, with a next white chic. The guy is just 22 - look at how they've messed up his life?

Anyway, his case has been transferred to CPS according to him and he's still waiting if he'll be charged or not, despite lack of evidence. That's how serious it's
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2015
ApexTitan:

Good your point is noted ... And challenged. Can you prove the line in bold?

Should women, in adhering to your claim, dress as seductively as they can manage when they go to known rough areas. Would you advice your daughter to not consider what she wears at all?

The four motivations for rape are sexual gratification,
anger rape, power rape, and sadistic rape. Sexual
gratification is generally believed to be the motivation
behind acquaintance and date rape. Anger rape is
generally not premeditated, but it is violent and spurred
by anger and resentment toward women. Power rape is
spurred by the need to control and dominate. Sadistic
rape is usually premeditated and ritualized, frequently
subjecting victims to degradation, mutilation, torture, or
murder. (Rathus, S.A., Nevid, J.S., and Fichner-Rathus,
L. (2005). Human sexuality in a world of diversity.(6th
ed.) Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon cited in http://
voices.yahoo.com/a-clinical-look-rape-12079426.html )

This is what clinical professor of psychiatry Andrea Parrot had to say " http://
www.holysmoke.org/fem/fem0126.htm
The majority of the sexual attacks (55-61%) committed
by these men were premeditated across their first,
middle, and last rapes, while fewer rapists reported their
crimes as being impulsive (15-22%) or opportunistic
(22-24%)." take note of the word opportunustic

This study by Theresa Meiner, focuses on the topic: Sexy
Dressing Revisited: Does Target Dress Play a Part in
Sexual Harassment Cases? You can find the entire study
here http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/
viewcontent.cgi?article=1109&context=djglp . Her
conclusion:
When I began research for this article, I expected to find
many cases involving allegations that the plaintiff
“welcomed” the sexual harassment by her workplace
attire. I was surprised to find that this was a rare case.
Defendants were not using the woman’s dress to weasel
out of claims, but instead, the woman’s dress most
commonly was present in allegations by plaintiffs.
Plaintiffs frequently raised comments about their dress
as part of their sexual harassment allegations. This
would seem to open the door to defendants, who might
use evidence of target dress to argue that the plaintiff
welcomed the harassment. Yet, that was not the case. I
have tried to account for the lack of case law and, in the
process, have gone back to the root cause of sexual
harassment: power. Sexual harassment is about power;
therefore, a target who is dressed provocatively is not
the ideal target for the would-be harasser, who appears
motivated at least in part by his ability to dominate his
victim. Provocative dress does not necessarily signify
submissiveness but instead may be an indication of
confidence and assertiveness. It is clear, however, that
comments about dress directed at plaintiffs are a
component of sexual harassment allegations. Comments
about dress are used to undermine working women’s
authority and should be considered seriously by courts
assessing sexual harassment claims.
From this study we may be moved to conclude that the
more provocatively dressed a woman is dressed the less
likely she is to be harassed. This finding seems to agree
with this feed shared by @Cherox in which I was copied
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/sexual-assault-survivors-
answer-the-question-what-were-you-w . Most of the
women in this interview were definitely not provocatively
dressed.
Do well to check out the pdf file below

3 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:57pm On Oct 01, 2015
Shymm3x:

Well, I don't know any rapist that has gone scot-free - but I know a lot of folks who have been wrongly accused of rape. grin

Consent is now very difficult to define these. Heck, some guy was just telling me recently that they're investigating him for rape. And I know he isn't that type of guy. But his problem is white chics and I already told to leave 'em snow bunnies alone. You'd be surprised that this isn't the first time...he was accused of rape by a next white chic when he was like 18. That put his life and football career on hold for three years. The case just got dismissed about a year ago and now he's caught a next one, with a next white chic. The guy is just 22 - look at how they've messed up his life?

Anyway, his case has been transferred to CPS according to him and he's still waiting if he'll be charged or not, despite lack of evidence. That's how serious it's
in Nigeria a lot of rapists go scot free
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by raumdeuter: 5:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007

Do you think walking with money showing all over your dressing can attract thieves to you?

Surely there are people who dont flash cash but still get robbed but would you walk a street of mushin wearing your most expensive jewelries and flashing your cash?
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:
in Nigeria a lot of rapists go scot free

These are the kind of people that want equal representation in legislature and other political office grin

If you were a lawmaker how would you tackle the rape problem in Nigeria?
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 6:35pm On Oct 01, 2015
jadelyn007:

The four motivations for rape are sexual gratification,
anger rape, power rape, and sadistic rape. Sexual
gratification is generally believed to be the motivation
behind acquaintance and date rape. Anger rape is
generally not premeditated, but it is violent and spurred
by anger and resentment toward women. Power rape is
spurred by the need to control and dominate. Sadistic
rape is usually premeditated and ritualized, frequently
subjecting victims to degradation, mutilation, torture, or
murder. (Rathus, S.A., Nevid, J.S., and Fichner-Rathus,
L. (2005). Human sexuality in a world of diversity.(6th
ed.) Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon cited in http://
voices.yahoo.com/a-clinical-look-rape-12079426.html )

This is what clinical professor of psychiatry Andrea Parrot had to say " http://
www.holysmoke.org/fem/fem0126.htm
The majority of the sexual attacks (55-61%) committed
by these men were premeditated across their first,
middle, and last rapes, while fewer rapists reported their
crimes as being impulsive (15-22%) or opportunistic
(22-24%)." take note of the word opportunustic

This study by Theresa Meiner, focuses on the topic: Sexy
Dressing Revisited: Does Target Dress Play a Part in
Sexual Harassment Cases? You can find the entire study
here http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/
viewcontent.cgi?article=1109&context=djglp . Her
conclusion:
When I began research for this article, I expected to find
many cases involving allegations that the plaintiff
“welcomed” the sexual harassment by her workplace
attire. I was surprised to find that this was a rare case.
Defendants were not using the woman’s dress to weasel
out of claims, but instead, the woman’s dress most
commonly was present in allegations by plaintiffs.
Plaintiffs frequently raised comments about their dress
as part of their sexual harassment allegations. This
would seem to open the door to defendants, who might
use evidence of target dress to argue that the plaintiff
welcomed the harassment. Yet, that was not the case. I
have tried to account for the lack of case law and, in the
process, have gone back to the root cause of sexual
harassment: power. Sexual harassment is about power;
therefore, a target who is dressed provocatively is not
the ideal target for the would-be harasser, who appears
motivated at least in part by his ability to dominate his
victim. Provocative dress does not necessarily signify
submissiveness but instead may be an indication of
confidence and assertiveness. It is clear, however, that
comments about dress directed at plaintiffs are a
component of sexual harassment allegations. Comments
about dress are used to undermine working women’s
authority and should be considered seriously by courts
assessing sexual harassment claims.
From this study we may be moved to conclude that the
more provocatively dressed a woman is dressed the less
likely she is to be harassed. This finding seems to agree
with this feed shared by @Cherox in which I was copied
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/sexual-assault-survivors-
answer-the-question-what-were-you-w . Most of the
women in this interview were definitely not provocatively
dressed.
Do well to check out the pdf file below

I did read through and I have questions.

This line from the PDF Myth: Rape victims provoke the attack by wearing provocative clothing
• Victims range in age from days old to those in their nineties, hardly provocative dressers.

This shows that victims may come from any age group and that target dressing, to borrow the lingo, is not a universal factor in rape cases. This we already agree on. What still remains unanswered is whether target dressing has no influence whatsoever in victims who were sexually mature. It almost like they are saying that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

In the first link it says one of the motivators of rape is sexual gratification but it does not elaborate further on this in a manner that satisfies us. Here is my question again; is sexual gratification completely uninfluenced by target dressing?

The other link about sexual harassment in the work place raises even more questions. Theresa Meiner leans to the conclusion that the more provocatively a woman is dressed the less likely she is to be harassed. Is this a conclusion that also holds outside of the workplace?

Again my impression from all of these is this; It almost like they are saying that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 4:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
Timbuktou:

These are the kind of people that want equal representation in legislature and other political office grin

If you were a lawmaker how would you tackle the rape problem in Nigeria?
grin oga sir leave me alone jare.

I no dey mood to type long story today.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 5:17pm On Oct 02, 2015
ApexTitan:

I did read through and I have questions.

This line from the PDF Myth: Rape victims provoke the attack by wearing provocative clothing
• Victims range in age from days old to those in their nineties, hardly provocative dressers.

This shows that victims may come from any age group and that target dressing, to borrow the lingo, is not a universal factor in rape cases. This we already agree on. What still remains unanswered is whether target dressing has no influence whatsoever in victims who were sexually mature. It almost like they are saying that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

In the first link it says one of the motivators of rape is sexual gratification but it does not elaborate further on this in a manner that satisfies us. Here is my question again; is sexual gratification completely uninfluenced by target dressing?

The other link about sexual harassment in the work place raises even more questions. Theresa Meiner leans to the conclusion that the more provocatively a woman is dressed the less likely she is to be harassed. Is this a conclusion that also holds outside of the workplace?

Again my impression from all of these is this; It almost like they are saying that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
pull out 20 rape threads on nairaland homepage from 1 month back and point out 3 instances were the victims were dressed provocatively or is known to always dress provocatively. Let's take statistics, I'll leave you to make conclusion from the result of the statistics which will prove my hypothesis that what you are wearing has no effects on whether you get raped or not.

2 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
jadelyn007:
pull out 20 rape threads on nairaland homepage from 1 month back and point out 3 instances were the victims were dressed provocatively or is known to always dress provocatively. Let's take statistics, I'll leave you to make conclusion from the result of the statistics which will prove my hypothesis that what you are wearing has no effects on whether you get raped or not.

Yeah except that the cases that are reported on this forum usually involve the rape of a minor - obvious instances where dressing can be discounted as a factor.

To prove your hypothesis bring forth cases where it is proven that sexual gratification was the motivator for the rapist then show the effect (or lack of) that target dressing had in triggering the sexual desire that led to that rape.

3 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2015
ApexTitan:

Yeah except that the cases that are reported on this forum usually involve the rape of a minor - obvious instances where dressing can be discounted as a factor.

To prove your hypothesis bring forth cases where it is proven that sexual gratification was the motivator for the rapist then show the effect (or lack of) that target dressing had in triggering the sexual desire that led to that rape.
This is how people fail exams, I just asked you to pull out 20 threads and show me at least 1 case that has provocative dressing as the major motivation and you are charting off course. Do the nairaland statistics I asked for first then we can discuss the rightness or wrongness of my hypothesis.

It's either you tell me you found such and such number or you found none, I didn't ask how many were minors or adults yet.
Even outside nairaland not all cases will be reported so let's work with the ones that are reported here I.e nairaland as our case study.

So, give me an objective answer to my previous question then we can have a good debate.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Illness Causes 20-year-old To Look-like A Toddler / "Women Want Equality Only When It Suits Them" - Man Says / Golden Eagle Snatches Kid (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.