Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,336 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Slut Walk For Women's Right - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Slut Walk For Women's Right (21621 Views)

Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / What Will You Do If You Walk Into This Type Of Situation? (photos) / Re:slut Walk For Women's Right In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 9:09pm On Oct 02, 2015
By the way I do intend to show you a thousand and one cases where the major motivation for rape was sexual gratification right after you do my own research.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Hannysmilez(f): 10:39pm On Oct 02, 2015
cococandy:
As usual they refuse to get the message.

Stop victim blaming.
Stop slut shaming.

Nigeria needs this walk. Walahi.

So all these yeye "what were you wearing when he raped you" questions will die down. As if the victims of sexual offenses are usually dressed half unclad before they are attacked.
Nigeria is a good example why the slut walk is necessary. Because blaming the victim about their appearance during an attack leads to nothing but ignoring the real issue. Which is that sexual offenses on the most part happen to people who weren't indecently exposed at the moment it happened.

From what we can see, how you dress doesn't prevent you from being attacked. we are tired of people passing blame onto that instead of focusing on how to train young boys right.

Why didn't the guy say something about the victims who have been attacked when decently dressed and infants/ kids too who are attacked all the time?

As usual. He wants to perpetuate the tradition of victim blaming. Like many of y'all do.
I totally agree with you. But! My question is "Are you sure this slut-walk is the answer,will it really do us any good?"
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by Hannysmilez(f): 10:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hannysmilez:
I totally agree with you. But! My questions are "Are you sure this slut-walk is the answer? Will it really do us any good?"

Most people that slut-shame are women themselves. "Does that mean this is a war for women,against women?"
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 9:05am On Oct 03, 2015
jadelyn007:
This is how people fail exams, I just asked you to pull out 20 threads and show me at least 1 case that has provocative dressing as the major motivation and you are charting off course. Do the nairaland statistics I asked for first then we can discuss the rightness or wrongness of my hypothesis.

It's either you tell me you found such and such number or you found none, I didn't ask how many were minors or adults yet.
Even outside nairaland not all cases will be reported so let's work with the ones that are reported here I.e nairaland as our case study.

So, give me an objective answer to my previous question then we can have a good debate.

Oh my. Madam examiner you are trying to be too smart by half.

I want to prove that there are no Asians in Africa so I tell a resident of Kano to go out on his street and ask the first 20 people he sees if they are Asians. He may never meet a single Asian on his street, or in his stay in Kano for decades for that matter, yet that proves nothing.

That's the exact same intellectual acrobatics you are trying to pull here.

The rape cases reported on Nairaland are obvious cases where we can all discount provocative or target dressing. Why? Because the victims are usually sexually immature or minors. You were furnished with two simple scenarios earlier to prove whether target dressing influenced rape or not but you skidded over them in favour of this clearly flawed test.

So for the sake of lucidity present data of rape cases where the motive of the rapist is clearly known to be sexual gratification then strain to see whether the rapist was uninfluenced by slutty dressing.

That's sciency enough right?

While we are testing hypothesis and what-nots, pray answer me this: Why would any (sane) woman take it upon herself to dress non-provocatively if she is compelled to enter an area that is a known den of criminals? What informs her choice to give off the least amount of sexual cues with her dressing in that scenario?

2 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 9:08am On Oct 03, 2015
jadelyn007:
By the way I do intend to show you a thousand and one cases where the major motivation for rape was sexual gratification right after you do my own research.

Great. I didn't even see this before I posted my reply to your other comment.

Let the filtering begin: show that provocative dressing is unconnected to this motive for rape.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by jadelyn007(f): 7:25pm On Oct 03, 2015
ApexTitan:

Oh my. Madam examiner you are trying to be too smart by half.

I want to prove that there are no Asians in Africa so I tell a resident of Kano to go out on his street and ask the first 20 people he sees if they are Asians. He may never meet a single Asian on his street, or in his stay in Kano for decades for that matter, yet that proves nothing.

That's the exact same intellectual acrobatics you are trying to pull here.

The rape cases reported on Nairaland are obvious cases where we can all discount provocative or target dressing. Why? Because the victims are usually sexually immature or minors. You were furnished with two simple scenarios earlier to prove whether target dressing influenced rape or not but you skidded over them in favour of this clearly flawed test.

So for the sake of lucidity present data of rape cases where the motive of the rapist is clearly known to be sexual gratification then strain to see whether the rapist was uninfluenced by slutty dressing.

That's sciency enough right?

While we are testing hypothesis and what-nots, pray answer me this: Why would any (sane) woman take it upon herself to dress non-provocatively if she is compelled to enter an area that is a known den of criminals? What informs her choice to give off the least amount of sexual cues with her dressing in that scenario?

I am done arguing if you cannot carry out that simple research, I am beyond blind arguments. Thanks for your time.
Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by ApexTitan(m): 7:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
jadelyn007:
I am done arguing if you cannot carry out that simple research, I am beyond blind arguments. Thanks for your time.

Hehehe

I knew the cop-out was going to come sooner or later. I should expend effort on your flawed test abi? Well done.

I will however leave these studies carried out by psychologists just like you here

Antecedents of sexual victimization: factors discriminating victims from nonvictims.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51313652_Antecedents_of_Sexual_Victimization_Factors_Discriminating_Victims_From_Nonvictims

Partial abstract:

The variables found to be related to women's being sexually victimized were (a) number of different lifetime sexual partners, (b) provocative dress, and (c) alcohol use.

An Examination of Date Rape, Victim Dress, and Perceiver Variables Within the Context of Attribution Theory
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/251293640_An_Examination_of_Date_Rape_Victim_Dress_and_Perceiver_Variables_Within_the_Context_of_Attribution_Theory

Workman JE, Freeburg EW., Sex Roles, Volume 41, Numbers 3-4, 261-277 (1995)

This study found in part that the way a woman choose to dress is sometimes taken as a statement about her character including vulnerability, desire and/or willingness to have sex and provocation of males which consequently affects the likelihood of rape, including date rape.

The effects of clothing and dyad sex composition on perceptions of sexual intent: Do women and men evaluate these cues differently.
http://nicolas.gueguen.free.fr/Articles/PsyRep2011.pdf
Abbey, A., Cozzarelli, C., McLaughlin, K., & Harnish, R. J. (1987) Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 17, 108–126.

Partial abstract:

A laboratory study was conducted in which subjects viewed a photograph of two students in a classroom. As predicted, male subjects rated female targets as more sexy and seductive than did female subjects. Also as predicted, female targets who wore revealing clothing were rated as more sexy and seductive than those wearing nonrevealing clothing. Female targets were rated higher on sexual traits regardless of the gender of their partner

While it is an unpopular view, I think it is safe to say that provocative dress may increase the chance of rape in some situations.

3 Likes

Re: Slut Walk For Women's Right by dinachi(m): 3:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
cococandy:
As usual they refuse to get the message.

Stop victim blaming.
Stop slut shaming.

Nigeria needs this walk. Walahi.

So all these yeye "what were you wearing when he raped you" questions will die down. As if the victims of sexual offenses are usually dressed half unclad before they are attacked.
Nigeria is a good example why the slut walk is necessary. Because blaming the victim about their appearance during an attack leads to nothing but ignoring the real issue. Which is that sexual offenses on the most part happen to people who weren't indecently exposed at the moment it happened.

From what we can see, how you dress doesn't prevent you from being attacked. we are tired of people passing blame onto that instead of focusing on how to train young boys right.

Why didn't the guy say something about the victims who have been attacked when decently dressed and infants/ kids too who are attacked all the time?
Apostle of evil repping satan as usual.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Asamoah Gyan Ordered To Give Ex-wife Houses, Cars, Others / "Women Want Equality Only When It Suits Them" - Man Says / Illness Causes 20-year-old To Look-like A Toddler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.