Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Racism Thrives Because Black Nations Fail - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Racism Thrives Because Black Nations Fail (4986 Views)

El-Rufai & His Classmates At United Nations University-Merit, Netherlands (Pics) / BREAKING!! Violence Thrives In Some Part Of Lagos In Submission To The NLC Strik / Toyin Saraki Speaks At United Nations Event... See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Racism Thrives Because Black Nations Fail by AAinEqGuinea: 6:30pm On Sep 27, 2015
Love this.
Re: Racism Thrives Because Black Nations Fail by fightforchange1(f): 11:17pm On Sep 27, 2015
Dasuks:
@fightforchange1 I respect your opinion but my criticisms are not against the OP, rather its toward the 'self-hating' author. Ofc overall on the grander scale we are one and the same. But to use that link to plant seeds of self hate and refer to a group of ppl( billion plus) in such a demeaning manner without going into details in history and circumstance. Esp when they are spread across several continents faced by different situations over time. So yes we are the SAME but u cannot look into the issue of haiti without going into the aftermath of the revolt, or of African nations without looking into the age of the polities, how long have they existed in their present forms?? Thats my point. Hence the comparisons to 5000 year old China etc and the centuries of warfare facilitated by religios/ethnic/political differences in Europe. I would make the same criticism of an 11th century monk writing about the inferiority of non-Latinized Western Europe. Same issue of no context.

About us being one, fine there's no doubt to that. But ppl don't live their lives connected to a gigantic CPU of consciousness, servicing races, tribes etc. Individuals still live and operate and a selfish level. I lived in North America for a while and I know that a regular black person isn't necessarily alarmed by Congo or Naija violence. Rather its that pedo in the neighborhood she'll be trying to keep her kids safe from etc . We are one and yes one can write anthropological papers that make sweeping generalizations, but not on issues like this. Esp when u run the risk of justifying the prejudices of others against your own. Tackle it head on, as it exists in reality.

i definitely agree with you in the sense that the journalist might be making too general a statement, not everybody in black countries is living an extremely poverty stricken lifestyle. and i think that because some people are he is talking it to heart, and its not necessary self hate its just that he thinks that all black people should be able to reach their potential, it bothers him that some people aren't, and they're suffering some those poor folks.... And that is good, because he cares. We are different culturally but we are still black i admire the guy somewhat.
Re: Racism Thrives Because Black Nations Fail by fightforchange1(f): 11:25pm On Sep 27, 2015
^^ and as far as you mentioning that some aas dont identify with conflicts in the congo and other places in afirca and other ountries, i identify with the people in the congo and and various other places in the world.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Yorubas Deserve This Immunization, See reasons. / New Year Message: Stay Positive, 2019 Is Year Of Victory -Saraki tells Nigerians / Photos Of The Masked Police Force That Attacked Seyi Makinde In Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.