Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

How Can She Be Half Brazilian? - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Can She Be Half Brazilian? (13240 Views)

See Bikini Pictures Of Brazilian Modelwho Cleam Tyga Cheated On Kaylie Withher / Dancer, Kaffy Half Unclad In Recent Photos / Barbee= Half Nigerian Half Jamaican Reggae Singer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by InkedNerd(f): 6:39am On Oct 05, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

She doesn't look Brazilian either.

See typical Brazilian Yoruba guy and compare his features with Alex Lopez.

[img]http://www.topnews.in/sports/files/ronaldinho_2.jpg[/img]
Yourba Brazilian player

There is no such thing as "looking Brasilian". So this whole idea of the "typical Brasilian Yoruba guy" doesn't exist. Brasil is such a multiethnic country so how can you even sit here and say that there is a look?
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by spikedcylinder: 6:40am On Oct 05, 2010
Does her heritage make her a good actress? grin grin grin grin cheesy
NO! cheesy
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by Ifygurl: 7:58am On Oct 05, 2010
OMG. I've always thought Alex was full blown nigerian. Oh well, she might be half brazilian. Taio cruz is half Brailizan and that dude looks fully Nigerian, the same applies to Seal.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by jcross19: 10:38am On Oct 05, 2010
semid4lyfe:

@janedoe
u're very wrong--Seal is not half brazilian.
I'm posting via phone so I can't copy and paste the exacts words from wikipedia but this is exactly how it is on wikipedia:
Seal was born Seal Henry Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel to Nigerian parents in London,England.THE RUMOUR THAT HE WAS HALF BRAZILIAN IS FALSE.He was adopted because his parents were unable to support him financially.
U're obviously one of those who heard the false rumour.
Back to topic,
who cares if she's half brazilian or not but the reasons u've given 4 not believing she's half brazilian are flimsy n watery IMO.
Bottom line-she may and may not be half brazilian.
Seal is an half brazilian if you want it i can post it from the wiki too is there .
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by InkedNerd(f): 10:46am On Oct 05, 2010
jcross19:

Seal is an half brazilian if you want it i can post it from the wiki too is there .

semid4lyfe is actually right. I remember reading an article about it and he addressed it in an interview on tv a few years ago. By the way, Wikipedia isn't a creddible source since just about anyone can make up information on that site. Take a look at this site http://www.songlyrics.com/seal-lyrics/ I'll try and look for the interview and magazine article. When I find them, I'll post it.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by clemcykul(f): 10:53am On Oct 05, 2010
she claims her dad is from brazil so wat?

Nigerians?? lol i no fit shout
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by AloyEmeka5: 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

There is no such thing as "looking Brasilian". So this whole idea of the "typical Brasilian Yoruba guy" doesn't exist. Brasil is such a multiethnic country so how can you even sit here and say that there is a look?

You believe there is Yoruba Brazilian?
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by InkedNerd(f): 10:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

You believe there is Yoruba Brazilian?

I did not say that there isn't anything like Yoruba Brasilian. A person can be a Brasilian and be Yoruba. Being Brasilian is just a nationality, NOT an ethnicity. You used the term "typical Brasilian Yoruba guy" as though being Brasilian and Yoruba were two different ethnic groups. Anyone can be part of an ethnic group and have a different nationality. What I was trying to say is that your using them as though they are one in the same. I have a friend who has a Bedouin father and Black Brasilian mother. She was raised in Palestine and has a Palestinian accent. Her being raised in Palestine doesn't change the fact that she is of Brasilian heritage. Does she need to have a Brasilian accent to be considered Brasilian? There is a huge different between ethnicity and nationality and people in Nigeria and many other parts of the world tend to use them as though they are one in the same.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by sbeezy8: 12:40am On Oct 06, 2010
ok lets name the a few naija people of brazilian slave descent

Joke dasilva

former dep Gov of lagos state - Femi Pedro

Ambassador Antonio Deinde Fernandez

Fashion designer Lanre da silva
[img]http://2.bp..com/_dYiGvTdvnu0/SdUSZe31nbI/AAAAAAAAAwQ/SQPnZ47g5_A/s400/DSCF8557.JPG[/img]

Bodybuilder Sameul Silvio
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 3:57am On Oct 06, 2010
unlike AAs, black brazilians tend to look more like nigerians/west africans.

so they blend in better when they return, and their kids dont necessarily stand out in any unusual way.

i'm not saying they're not good looking mind you.

afro brazilians from back then:

Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 4:06am On Oct 06, 2010

Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by googles: 4:08am On Oct 06, 2010
who cares if Osama bin laden is her daddy ?  undecided

she is still a bad actress and her accent watever accent it is now sucks
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by sbeezy8: 4:51am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah I disagree with that statement "brazilians look like nigerians west africans". brazilians dont have a "look" and neither do nigerians- except different ethnicities and tribes- even at that people still look different with shades of skin.

Brazilians blend in well or blended in well when they came to nigeria because they were more afrocentric

[img]http://viajeaqui.abril.com.br/national-geographic/imagens/sua-foto/2010/jan/2010-01-27-baianas-festa-candomble-santo-amaro.jpg[/img]
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by InkedNerd(f): 4:54am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

Omg, I love Benedita da Silva. I truly admire her and her struggle. She is a remarkable woman.

googles:

who cares if Osama bin laden is her daddy ?  undecided

she is still a bad actress and her accent watever accent it is now sucks

lmao lmao.

sbeezy8:

tpiah I disagree with that statement "brazilians look like nigerians west africans". brazilians dont have a "look" and neither do nigerians- except different ethnicities and tribes- even at that people still look different with shades of skin.

Brazilians blend in well or blended in well when they came to nigeria because they were more afrocentric

[img]http://viajeaqui.abril.com.br/national-geographic/imagens/sua-foto/2010/jan/2010-01-27-baianas-festa-candomble-santo-amaro.jpg[/img]

sbeezy8, the pics are lovely. The black and white photo is my favorite. And I totally agree with you on the not having a look thing. Everyone seems to be forgetting that there is a difference between ethnicity and nationality.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 5:09am On Oct 06, 2010
sbeezy8:

nah, they were tired of slavery and part of a resettlement program. It wasnt that easy for them either generally speaking, but as regards looks, they blended in better, i should think.

black brazilians have their mixed percentage just like everybody else, but many of them look african.

the beautiful ones who are showcased in bahia, are probably mixed.

and those of them who might have portuguese blood, could still look majorly african since a lot of portuguese are themselves mixed.

in any case, succeeding generations from a certain point onwards, might look a bit different because other parts of europe also started migrating to brazil after a while.

lightened them up i dont doubt.

sorry if you dont like it, but that's my opinion.

i dont mind the african look since it's not strange to me.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by InkedNerd(f): 5:27am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

nah, they were tired of slavery and part of a resettlement program. It wasnt that easy for them either generally speaking, but as regards looks, they blended in better, i should think.

black brazilians have their mixed percentage just like everybody else, but many of them look african.

and those of them who might have portuguese blood, could still look majorly african since a lot of portuguese are themselves mixed.

in any case, succeeding generations from a certain point onwards, might look a bit different because other parts of europe also started migrating to brazil after a while.

lightened them up i dont doubt.

sorry if you dont like it, but that's my opinion.

Interesting that you mention that. Some years ago there was a mass DNA test that was done in Brasil. When the results from the DNA tests were revealed, a lot of the people who participates in it were shocked. A majority of the people who considered themselves to be Black or of African decent had more traces of European lineage and those who considered themselves to be Caucasian actually had more African lineage than they thought. It was a very interesting study. I really enjoyed learning about it.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by sbeezy8: 6:08am On Oct 06, 2010
@inkednerd- thanks yo

@ms tpiah I dont think brazil had resettlement program like the english did.

and of course they look african as in "black or mixed" but you said nigerian as if there was a "nigerian look"- that is what i disagree with.
If an AAmerican was to come to nigeria and speak a native language as if its their own he or she would blend in EASILY.

I dont think Americans look any less african than black brazilians[b] If anything its known that black brazilians even more mixed than black americans[/b]- African americans werent strongly influenced by african culture as brazilians were. so its def not a look thing but a culture thing to me.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by sbeezy8: 6:44am On Oct 06, 2010

adriana lima
her dad is black and shes from bahia- the place were all those lagos brazilian slaves came from.

so look wise you never know, thats why i think afro brazilians fitting in lagos easily is more about a common culture they had in bahia already.

[img]http://img.blogs.abril.com.br/1/acarajedaclaudiabaiana/imagens/baianas1.jpg[/img]
[size=13pt]bahia ladies its quite obvious they all dont look the same SKIN COLOR WISE but share the same afrocentric culture, its possible they all be related but some just came out lighter or darker[/size] a couple of them lookboth light and dark alike how weird.

so i dont think theres a brazilian look-
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by sbeezy8: 6:54am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

inferiority complex - i cant believe you just said that lol
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2010
sbeezy8:

inferiority complex - i cant believe you just said that lol

not at all.

bahia is known for it's beautiful people. As in everyone says bahians are good looking.

these bahian people are likely to be mixed.

i did not say they're beautiful because they're mixed.

i said the people there are known to be beautiful and imo, they are probably mixed.

hope you see the difference.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 2:14pm On Oct 06, 2010
sbeezy8:

@inkednerd- thanks yo

@ms tpiah I dont think brazil had resettlement program like the english did.

and of course they look african as in "black or mixed" but you said nigerian as if there was a "nigerian look"- that is what i disagree with.
If an AAmerican was to come to nigeria and speak a native language as if its their own he or she would blend in EASILY.

I dont think Americans look any less african than black brazilians[b] If anything its known that black brazilians even more mixed than black americans[/b]- African americans werent strongly influenced by african culture as brazilians were. so its def not a look thing but a culture thing to me.

brazilian ex-slaves were resettled all along the west african coast.

black brazilians have a strongly african look, unlike many AAs.

black brazilians meaning the ones who dont look mixed.

in brazil, you can be white even if you have black blood, as long as you're light skinned.

so let's assume the light skinned ones are white.

i'm referring to the darkskinned afro-brazilians. The ones at the bottom of the ladder.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2010
you said nigerian as if there was a "nigerian look"

and what do you mean there's no nigerian look?
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by AloyEmeka5: 3:21pm On Oct 06, 2010

Yoruba Brazilian.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by cold(m): 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2010
Next thing i know,they'll be calling me an Igbo-Brazilian grin
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by naijadiva2(f): 4:15pm On Oct 06, 2010
Okay, im liking the convo in this thread.
Inked_Nerd:

I did not say that there isn't anything like Yoruba Brasilian. A person can be a Brasilian and be Yoruba. Being Brasilian is just a nationality, NOT an ethnicity. You used the term "typical Brasilian Yoruba guy" as though being Brasilian and Yoruba were two different ethnic groups[b]. Anyone can be part of an ethnic group and have a different nationality. What I was trying to say is that your using them as though they are one in the same[/b]. I have a friend who has a Bedouin father and Black Brasilian mother. She was raised in Palestine and has a Palestinian accent. Her being raised in Palestine doesn't change the fact that she is of Brasilian heritage. Does she need to have a Brasilian accent to be considered Brasilian? There is a huge different between ethnicity and nationality and people in Nigeria and many other parts of the world tend to use them as though they are one in the same.

yep that is so true. I wish people would know the difference btween the two. Be consistant. Just like i "dislike" when ppl say "I'm half black and dominican" LOL and their dominican side is afro-dominican. and i've heard ppl say "i'm half white and german" Yea , technically i know what they are saying but still. . . . . .

@Inked nerd
Off-topic, but we could so be best friends in real life. . . lol (dont mind me)

okay back to subject at hand  cheesy
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by AloyEmeka5: 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2010
cold:

Next thing i know,they'll be calling me an Igbo-Brazilian  grin

Igbo-Haitian
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by cold(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Igbo-Haitian

Igbo Haitian indeed grin.I could swing both ways though
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by AloyEmeka5: 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2010
Soledad O'Brien

Yoruba-Cuban
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by makajibbz(m): 4:31pm On Oct 06, 2010
so she's half brazilian, so fukk wat
black-brazilians are portuguese speaking nigerians, jus dat dey have many mixed with whites. . . jus examine how dey behave, like yoruba people. cool
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by ezeagu(m): 5:00pm On Oct 06, 2010
Most Afro-Brazilians are from present day Congo and Angola. Most Haitians are from present day Benin Republic. Most Brazilian returnees to Lagos were Yoruba/mixed with European and other African groups. This woman looks noting like the picture of Afro-Brazilian and Yoruba-Brazilian people posted, she looks just Igbo. I used half-Brazilian because there are common ethnic groups associated with Brazil.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by naijadiva2(f): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2010
cold:

Igbo Haitian indeed grin.I could swing both ways though

Yep. My driver instructor was from haiti and after seeing my last name, he automatically knew that i was of igbo descent. How did he know? He said that they have lots of igbo ppl in haiti. Maybe thats why these haitians keep speaking to me in french like i understand them LOL, they dont even ask first if im haitian or do i speak french or both.
Re: How Can She Be Half Brazilian? by tpiah: 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2010
there's no such thing as yoruba brazilian since yoruba is a recent term.

it's actually rather insulting to call someone that, imo.

lagos brazilians call themselves lagos brazilians, or portuguese [sort of].

the traditional religion in brazil has elements that are derived from yoruba orisha, but that doesnt make the adherents yoruba.

same goes for the cuba reference.

afro-brazilian is afro-brazilian.

if you dont know what to call black people in brazil then just call them afro/black brazilians.

or just plain brazilian.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nothing Works Without Holy Spirit - Tonto Dikeh Preaches / See What Killed Mad Melon Of Danfo Driver / LOL! Wizkid Busted Starring At Popular Vixen Draya Michelle's Backside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.