Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! (28647 Views)

Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / How Social Media Slang Is Affecting Your Learning Skills / High Cost Of Braille Machines Is Affecting The Education Of The Blind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ExtraUniqueGuy(m): 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2015
WorldGreatest1:
Yes. shocked

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! cheesy

I made it. angry

Guess what? tongue

FTC!!! cheesy shocked
**walks into stage**
I want to use this medium to say congratulations to myself and a big thank you to all who made this seemingly insurmountable feat surmountable. Many thanks to my pastor who prayed earnestly for me to achieve this and to my parents and sibilings who stood by me despite the trying times. Much love to my fiancée and the NL family for your support and to MTN kudos!!!
**walks off the stage**
but you're a guy lah! Guys should have more sense.....what's with ftc?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ExtraUniqueGuy(m): 9:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
Thanks,but honestly i have tried so hard to differentiate them
for N (practise it as Ni) and Li for L (you'd hear your tongue beating against the roof of your mouth)
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by therapistmrs: 9:29pm On Sep 26, 2015
There is really no big deal about that,you can alway overcome this.I think you can get a speech therapist to help you but if you can't afford that you could watch a lot of movies and copy what they say and you could also copy those around you who have good accent.wish you luck.

therapistmrs..com
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nicklaus(m): 9:34pm On Sep 26, 2015
It's affecting you socially not academically. Besides since no one is complaining don't you think you are the one inviting problems by discriminating yourself

Well I think your problem is that your tongue is glued to the lower part of your mouth.

I suggest you do a surgical jack. You can use a flat screw .
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Akosxxx(m): 10:05pm On Sep 26, 2015
DrGraveYardz:
Me too. But sometimes the Americans' is filled up with too many slangs.
yea thts ryt too
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by spartoo: 10:22pm On Sep 26, 2015
kossyablaze:
I Don cry tire... My 10k Don go
som days ar like dat
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Touchey: 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2015
Akosxxx:
go get a dictionary & watch alot of American mpvies guess tha ll help

British movies. The standard English is the British English
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by maci(m): 10:39pm On Sep 26, 2015
rotexteymie:

Maybe cos you believe you can never get it right....KEEP TRYING and be optimistic about it....
You'll thank me later! grin

You said it all bro
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ibolomo(m): 11:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
Niyeal:
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.
you be Ibadan poson?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by UjSizzle(f): 11:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
Lol yeah there's a difference. One's L and the other N. Clear as night and day honey.

I still don't get how it affects you academically since all you have to do to pass an examination in naija is dub your textbook/note for your lecturer. The only time you're expected to speak is during your project defence.

If this bothers you though while conversing with your friends, perhaps you could tell them (one or two) and ask that they let you know when you slip (if you slip).
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by histemple: 11:33pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
I have an accent that has been discouraging me to the extent that i'm too shy to speak in the public.

For instance,"light and night" sound alike to me, I mean i can't differentiate them perfectly, but whenever I converse with my friends or put those aforementioned words in sentences, they (my friends) do not correct me...But I always doubt if I had pronounced them correctly.

Other words I have problem in differentiating are: snap/slap, lame/name. Though no one has corrected me on these.

So the main issue here is "IS THERE MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THEIR SOUNDS?
Pls be honest!!

You are obviously from Nsukka. The good. News is that there is a solution, and very simple too.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by AnanseK(m): 12:43am On Sep 27, 2015
kossyablaze:
lol.... Nigerians! Always answer questions with questions.

modified
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by AnanseK(m): 12:44am On Sep 27, 2015
[quote author=kossyablaze post=38398984]lol.... Nigerians! Always answer questions with questions. [/

Sure
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by AnanseK(m): 12:45am On Sep 27, 2015
ernesty20:
Are u from the north

Did you say Lorth?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Originalsly: 1:42am On Sep 27, 2015
Bro...Google " you tube emmasaying light". You would hear the pronunciation of ight ending words. Repeat after her... and when you think you got it correct.... record yourself then listen to the playback and compare it. You would know if you got it or not. You can then Google other endings that you are not sure about.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 27, 2015
Your accent doesn't have to affect you na.After all,you write exams by putting down your thots/answers in black and white with your pen.Abi an oral exams your school dey do?.....Abeg,just improve on your lexis and structure and writing skills.Abi u neva see some babes when dey 'phoney' like Americans ,but make dem write an essay for you,na so so spit you go just dey spit......ABEG NOH MIND MY ENGLISH YOU.....na condition make crayfish bend o!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by nwatch: 2:39am On Sep 27, 2015
If you are truly worried about your ascent then you have to take serious oral English classes or ascent neutralization course(something like that).I don't know where the later is offered in Nigeria but in most developed countries there are places where you can learn any language including the associated ascents.

The most important advise I will give you is to accept your ascent. I have an ascent as well and I'm working in an office dominated by foreigners and they don't have problem with it. The most important thing is your skill and the idea you are trying to communicate.

Speak slowly if you are speaking to non-Nigerians, context is very important to help your audience. Don't fight what you have, there are many Chinese in Google who still call RICE LICE and LICE RICE....Just like Anambra people...and boy they are well paid. make I no even talk Indians, those ones... you need special amplifier to understand them..but yet they are well paid overseas.

Everyone has an ascent,but we have been indoctrinated to think that na only oyinbo ascent is acceptable.Trust me there are some white chicks who'd date you just because of that.

Stay positive and f**k shyness.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by charlesucheh(m): 3:09am On Sep 27, 2015
WorldGreatest1:
Yes. shocked

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! cheesy

I made it. angry

Guess what? tongue

FTC!!! cheesy shocked
**walks into stage**
I want to use this medium to say congratulations to myself and a big thank you to all who made this seemingly insurmountable feat surmountable. Many thanks to my pastor who prayed earnestly for me to achieve this and to my parents and sibilings who stood by me despite the trying times. Much love to my fiancée and the NL family for your support and to MTN kudos!!!
**walks off the stage**
This dude jst completly ignore the OP and was popping champagne for making FTC. Oya answer oga OP now, the party is over!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by charlesucheh(m): 3:10am On Sep 27, 2015
jamex93:
This one strong o
Eleyi gidi gon!!!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Cavenchy(m): 4:36am On Sep 27, 2015
I heard sometime ago that its something about a part underneath the tongue that should have been cut off as a little baby so it wont later affect the child's speech. Dunno how true this is, see a maternity nurse for more info. Hope that aint what's wrong with ya. Otherwise, you might just need to be more conscious about what you mean to say before you try to speak.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Chiedu08: 7:36am On Sep 27, 2015
Akosxxx:
go get a dictionary & watch alot of American mpvies. guess tha ll help

MOVIES not mPvies
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ayoalafe(m): 7:40am On Sep 27, 2015
Your case is what we call L1 induced in Linguistics. You are so used to your first language that you import lexical items from your mother tongue to your L2 thou most people don 't believe they are saying the right thing when they are not. There is noting special you can do other than been meticulious with every world you pronounce. Be conciouse of it. Get a dictionary that is good and look up the transcription of every lexical items.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by sevule(m): 8:58am On Sep 27, 2015
Niyeal:
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.

Your attitude is VERY wrong. How can you be a teacher and boast about your deficiency and still say that you don't care? And sorry to say this but your written English leaves a LOT to be desired.
I am impressed by the poster because he knows he has a problem and HE IS WILLING to work on it.

@poster
Simply type the word in http://www.thefreedictionary.com[b][/b]. You would see what looks like a speaker, click on the speaker to hear the pronunciation. Its a little trick I use when I am not sure of the pronunciation of a word.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by cirmuell(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2015
asuustrike2009:

Not even British movies? Theirs is best in the world not America that uses slangs like " am gonna" instead of " am going"
Bruh abi shey na aunty, Brits use those slangs too...smiley na for their mouth e dey sweet pass sef, especially the curse words cheesy
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Akosxxx(m): 9:54am On Sep 27, 2015
Chiedu08:

MOVIES not mPvies
lol.. i guess u re new to the 'online world' do u even type with a QWERTY keypad/keyboard
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 10:35am On Sep 27, 2015
bossto:
I have an accent that has been discouraging me to the extent that i'm too shy to speak in the public.

For instance,"light and night" sound alike to me, I mean i can't differentiate them perfectly, but whenever I converse with my friends or put those aforementioned words in sentences, they (my friends) do not correct me...But I always doubt if I had pronounced them correctly.

Other words I have problem in differentiating are: snap/slap, lame/name. Though no one has corrected me on these.

Pls be honest!!
Niyeal:

Language, particularly pronunciation is learnt by rote. Just seek an instructor who's very versed in Oral English. I believe by God's Will, such person will enlighten you about the various points of articulation with their similarities and differences. He'll then pronounce and you pronounce after him until you're good to go.

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 10:50am On Sep 27, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmm.. If nobody didnt correct u. That means, u're right.. Afterall, president buhari seems to have same problem but he never see it as anything neither does he cares if someone correct him or not.. Today, he's ur president..

Check my signature for ur customised wristband
yea....i even asked a few friends of mine if they had ever noticed it but the response was "NO",Yet i can't differentiate those words as in word to word(siinguly)
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
Lexo22:
this is common in Nsukka,
consciously work on yourself and you will definitely improve.
yeah, am frm Nsukka
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by rotexteymie(f): 2:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
maci:

You said it all bro
Sis! undecided
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ernesty20(m): 3:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
AnanseK:

Did you say Lorth?
are u blind?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ernesty20(m): 3:02pm On Sep 27, 2015
bossto:
yeah, am frm Nsukka
where are from in nsukka?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by dude99(m): 3:41pm On Sep 27, 2015
bossto:

Pls be honest!!
Hello bro!did it just start or it's been with you since?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN / Crawford University Staff Shaving A Student’s Beard In Igbesa / ASUU: Massive Number Of Students May Be Disenfranchised, We Are Considering This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.