Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,107 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year (70353 Views)

Teacher Uses Extraordinary Chalkboard Drawing Skills To Teach Students Anatomy / An insight into my case(feedback) / Anatomy Student Of Uniosun's Death: Revealed True Story Behind It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
I appreciate the comments, the encouragements, the prayers and the wishes. They all meant a lot personally to me.

Regarding my exams; well, it was a success. Had credits both in Pharmacology and Pathology.

A lot of gist coming up from tommorrow. Y'all av a good nyt.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
jargo89:
Tanx alot. Appreciate the comment.
Dr jargo welcome back
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by mhizsuzzy(f): 11:28pm On Dec 08, 2017
so Dr jargon is done with his exams

*jumps up

I just can't wait.
Gists loading.
*grabs popcorn and Pepsi, orobo size

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 09, 2017
jargo89:
I appreciate the comments, the encouragements, the prayers and the wishes. They all meant a lot personally to me.

Regarding my exams; well, it was a success. Had credits both in Pharmacology and Pathology.

A lot of gist coming up from tommorrow. Y'all av a good nyt.
Welcome back chief. I'm getting ready for medical school. The NASU strike made them postpone our screening/registration.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by hagiosfemi(m): 9:18am On Dec 09, 2017
jargo89:
Congrats Femi.
thanks sir, congrat on your success too. I need books o.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by hagiosfemi(m): 9:18am On Dec 09, 2017
jargo89:
Congrats Femi.
thanks sir, congrat on your success too. I need books pls o.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Abolarinwa1234: 1:23pm On Dec 09, 2017
hagiosfemi:
lemme rent space oga jargo
THINGS I LEARNT FROM PRE-CLINICAL
I had mixed feelings when I saw my first MB result, it was good but I wanted a distinction in physiology and biochemistry (I had given up on anatomy) but ended with one in physiology. I realized in Exam hall that MB is done with residual knowledge of what you have learnt, you can only crash read to pass MB but not with high flying grade (more reason I gave up on anatomy). Pre clinical courses are not hard but bulky, so average students can survive medical school. Here are the lessons I have learnt:
1. KNOW YOURSELF
Medical school has rules and you must play by it, there are no general rules. To hit the nail on the head, you must know your status, are you above average or an average grade student. Don't deceive yourself, if you struggle to retain facts in your brain, you may need to re-strategize, you must reconsider (will videos help? tutorials?) but you sure need longer hours to study. You may need to change your game plan if you are failing your tests i.e friends, study group or even textbook!
2. IT IS A TEAM WORK
Lone rangers find it hard to survive med school. You must interact with mates. They may have past questions and you will surely bite your finger in regret if you walk alone. Friends have stuffs that will stick faster. Don't engage in carnal competiton, those who top the class must have being helped by interaction with colleagues.
3. BE SMART
This is my last point. I have discovered that lecturers are too lazy to set new questions, you must know the recurring questions and find correct answers. There are lot of stuffs to know, you must be wise to separate chaff from the wheat. You must also trust in God, favour is essential but God does not orchestrate our failures.
Thanks bro
Can i have your WhatsApp number?
Or message me on WhatsApp 08119902543
Congratulations...
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by ttyl02(f): 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2017
I just saw this thread and I must confess that I love this thread..Dr Jargo, thank you for giving us an insight into medical school although i am not a medical student...I am a nursing student.
Anyways thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 7:08pm On Dec 09, 2017
Okay, so if i was asked to describe PathPharm in one word, my response would be: English Language hasnt provided a word to truly describe it. This is not hyperbole, as I was stunned at the sheer amount of workload covered in 28 weeks. It was insane. You just have to be on top of your game, all the time.

During my Anatomy, BCH and Physio, my mantra was having short bursts of intense reading with a long duration of light reading (more like a marathon or long distance running). Brethren and sister, that didnt cut it in Pathpharm. It was a sprint from the go. You just have to set the pace from the beginning and finish with it. It was intense. No intense is too soft a word to even describe it.

Then Pathology, God. Pathology is unexplainable. How do you explain preparing for those 4 Pathology course a night to the MCQ and Theory. Hmmmm. Its not a small something.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2017
ttyl02:
I just saw this thread and I must confess that I love this thread..Dr Jargo, thank you for giving us an insight into medical school although i am not a medical student...I am a nursing student.
Anyways thank you!
You welcome ma. Appreciate the gesture.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2017
So how was the exams?

Well it started with my Block 2 assessments which took majority of November and the MB exam started Nov. 27th and ended Dec. 4th with the result pasted on Dec 7th.

Hmmmm...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 7:27pm On Dec 09, 2017
The first Block 2 incourse I did was in Chemical Pathology. I must have mentioned before (or not) that I have no likeness or hatred for Chem Path. Its just a bland course to me. I had a 69.sumtin in the Block 1, so the target was getting a >70 score.

Well the Block 2 topics for Chem Path were more Physiology related (Endocrinology), so I was feeling pretty confident for the exam.

*Exam day*

1-20 Fairly easy questions. I was already thinking: H"ahaha....mehn i fit get 80 for this course ooo". Then Q21....boom. A question from a Block 1 topic. Wharisdis? I skipped, opened the next page and it hit me: 21-35 are actually Block 1 questions. Twas like hitting a mallet on my head. Who does this? This is supposed to be a Block 2 exam; to test our knowledge on Block 2 not Block 1. That should be for MB. Choi!!!!! And i didnt revise my Block 1. Most of it were already hazy. See sweet exam turned sour by the ineptitude and stupidity of this lecturers.

My mind was just ranting upandan. Lol. Well, I had no option but to try and answer them. Actually, I did, but twasnt an enticing option.

Well one down.

Expected result: 65-67%

Sad one

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by hagiosfemi(m): 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hmmn
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by danilmo: 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2017
dr jargo89 pls how many month/week is Yr 4(path and pham) class in ur school
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 8:33pm On Dec 09, 2017
My next incourse was Histopathology. Almighty Histopath. Even tho I covered 90% or more while preparing for the Block 1; twasnt possible for Block 2. Why?

Block 1 Histopath involves General pathology and deals with general topics like Inflammation, Neoplasm, Fluid disturbances, Cellular Injury etc. They were easy to read and not too broad. Block 2 however involves Systemic Pathology and is associated with particular body systems and all diseases associated with each. Phew. You think you know a lot of diseases? You havent met Systemic Histopathology. You will hear syndromes that you've never imagined less hearing. When you start hearing Kawasaki syndrome, Chediak Higashi syndrome, Churg Strauss syndrome or is it Takayasu syndrome. Sighs.

Then imagine the whole systems to be read. Pulmonary system and the pathology like Asthma, COPD, Bronchiectasis, Congenital defects, Infections (including Tuberculosis), Cancers and pleural defects.

Cardiovascular system and its myriads of defects/pathology including Myocardial infarction, Cardiomyopathies etc. GIT and its pathology especially the Large intestine. Renals, Thyroid, Breast, Pancreas, Gynecological pathologies and a host of other systems.

Now imagine having more than just a passing knowledge of all the diseases affecting all these systems. Histopath na die.

Well for my exams, i left out 2 systems that i didnt read much on: Renals and CNS.

Will this be costly?

2 Likes

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2017
danilmo:
dr jargo89
pls how many month/week is Yr 4(path and pham) class in ur school
28 weeks divided into 2 blocks of 14 weeks each.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
hagiosfemi:

When I resume, we'll see.

2 Likes

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by danilmo: 9:07pm On Dec 09, 2017
jargo89:
28 weeks divided into 2 blocks of 14 weeks each.
approximately 7month
is that not too small, ,, the stress, mehn

most school spend upto A year +
some even up to 15month
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by mhizsuzzy(f): 9:10pm On Dec 09, 2017
hagiosfemi:
Bros ur blood dey hot ooh e Don Tay u dey wait for the books.
Thats the hustling spirit of a medics so I grab

2 Likes

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by olumose001(m): 1:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
danilmo:

approximately 7month

some even up to 15month
me ma I surprise oo, in my school, ug4 block 1 is 6months called ug4b , block 2 is 9 months called ug4a, in rare cases there is ug4c, that's if the ug3 write their mb before ug4a
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Profcamsey(m): 4:26pm On Dec 10, 2017
danilmo:

approximately 7month

some even up to 15month
He didn't add clinical postings. I'm sure it would be 12 months between his first mb and the last one.

1 Like

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by LEGITLAYO: 7:51pm On Dec 10, 2017
Profcamsey:

He didn't add clinical postings. I'm sure it would be 12 months between his first mb and the last one.
Exactly boss.
Dr jargo had his first mb Nov 2016 and second one Nov 2017...
That's 12 months.
Postings were also involved.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2017
Profcamsey:

yeah, most def. 12 weeks in Clinical Science.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2017
jargo89:
My next incourse was Histopathology. Almighty Histopath. Even tho I covered 90% or more while preparing for the Block 1; twasnt possible for Block 2. Why?

Block 1 Histopath involves General pathology and deals with general topics like Inflammation, Neoplasm, Fluid disturbances, Cellular Injury etc. They were easy to read and not too broad. Block 2 however involves Systemic Pathology and is associated with particular body systems and all diseases associated with each. Phew. You think you know a lot of diseases? You havent met Systemic Histopathology. You will hear syndromes that you've never imagined less hearing. When you start hearing Kawasaki syndrome, Chediak Higashi syndrome, Churg Strauss syndrome or is it Takayasu syndrome. Sighs.

Then imagine the whole systems to be read. Pulmonary system and the pathology like Asthma, COPD, Bronchiectasis, Congenital defects, Infections (including Tuberculosis), Cancers and pleural defects.

Cardiovascular system and its myriads of defects/pathology including Myocardial infarction, Cardiomyopathies etc. GIT and its pathology especially the Large intestine. Renals, Thyroid, Breast, Pancreas, Gynecological pathologies and a host of other systems.

Now imagine having more than just a passing knowledge of all the diseases affecting all these systems. Histopath na die.

Well for my exams, i left out 2 systems that i didnt read much on: Renals and CNS.

Will this be costly?
Costl?? Hell yeah!!!!

I got into the exam and 80% of the questions were from Renals, CNS and Gynecological pathology. Horrible!!! I felt like fainting. Not only was it even because of my decision to leave out those those topics but also because the exam was tough as nails. Like, the toughest I have written in my lifetime. No kidding.

Brethren, I left the exam hall shattered. This was not an exam. It was war!!!! Word was one of the Lecturers, Dr Mrs I, was miffed at us passing the first block like twas nothing. So she decided to dent our confidence with this. Hmmmm....well she did.

No body; i repeat, no body came out of the exam feeling whole. Lol. It was like a part of you was lost during those few hours.

Expected score: 50%

And that was based on hope cos I had a pact with myself and God never to score less than average in any exam. This was looking dicey.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 3:31pm On Dec 11, 2017
LEGITLAYO:

Exactly boss.
Dr jargo had his first mb Nov 2016 and second one Nov 2017...
That's 12 months.
Postings were also involved.
MB student. Lol. Hows prep going? 3 As ooo, no bargaining

1 Like

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2017
My next incourse was on Pharmacology. Nothing news worthy. Went in, did it, came out.

ER ------> 65%

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by LEGITLAYO: 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2017
jargo89:
MB student. Lol. Hows prep going? 3 As ooo, no bargaining
Baba mi, we dey push am oh.
These people aren't helping us by withholding our results.
We don't even know our performance.

1 Like

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by jargo89(m): 7:30pm On Dec 11, 2017
Then Medical Microbiology rolled into town. Those who have been following would remember I made so many mistakes in my Block 1 leading to me getting a 37.sumtin over 50. Well, I was determined going into this not to make a single mistake.

The block 2 involves Parasitology, Virology and Mycology. Parasitology tho broad was very appealing to me and I kinda loved every topic; well, except malaria (weird, right?). Mycology, I found too easy. The fungal names just registered on first view as if they were my girlfriends' names (joking oooo). But Virology just seemed kinda off beat. Funny, cos I loved Virology during my first degree and I was a champ then. I was even nicknamed Viridae.

So why the sudden dislike? I concluded it was the lecturer's approach. She classified and taught Viruses based on diseases caused rather than Morphology. Kinda ruined everything. Well, I had no option. Na read I go read am noni.

Night before the exam, I got so tired, presumably due to accumulated stress and I was having intense headaches (My mixture of Cocacola and coffee most likely the aetiology). See bad market. I intended reading till morning like i did with Histopathology, but mehn twas impossible. Gave up and slept.

Woke up worried about Virology. "I didnt read Virology enough ooo God". "But it shouldnt take more than 5-10 of the 50 na". "Let me just sacrifice the Virology aspect and put finishing touches on the other 2". "I have been sacrificing topics upandan, Am i a high priest?" Various thoughts running through my mind. Well, I did little I could on Virology and zoomed to school.

Then I entered the hall, took my seat, offered my usual prayer (most important). 25 questions on Parasitology, 12 questions on Virology, 13 on Mycology.

Of the 25 on paraaitology, I felt i was very sure on 18, wasnt too sure on 5. Left 2 unanswered. One on Drancunculus medinensis and the other on diagnosis of malaria (Malaria!!!!!).

Of the 12 Virology questions, I was sure of 11 (suprising eh?) And left one unanswered.

I was sure of all the Mycology answers (13).

So in all I believed I got 42 right answers and wasnt sure of 5. In the worse case scenario with a negative mark of 0.2, i should expect a 41/50 score. Not bad...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by suregalluv(f): 11:09pm On Dec 11, 2017
Really enjoying this thread jargo89
More success to you
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by MTAIYEM: 1:27am On Dec 12, 2017
jargo89:
Then Medical Microbiology rolled into town. Those who have been following would remember I made so many mistakes in my Block 1 leading to me getting a 37.sumtin over 50. Well, I was determined going into this not to make a single mistake.

The block 2 involves Parasitology, Virology and Mycology. Parasitology tho broad was very appealing to me and I kinda loved every topic; well, except malaria (weird, right?). Mycology, I found too easy. The fungal names just registered on first view as if they were my girlfriends' names (joking oooo). But Virology just seemed kinda off beat. Funny, cos I loved Virology during my first degree and I was a champ then. I was even nicknamed Viridae.

So why the sudden dislike? I concluded it was the lecturer's approach. She classified and taught Viruses based on diseases caused rather than Morphology. Kinda ruined everything. Well, I had no option. Na read I go read am noni.

Night before the exam, I got so tired, presumably due to accumulated stress and I was having intense headaches (My mixture of Cocacola and coffee most likely the aetiology). See bad market. I intended reading till morning like i did with Histopathology, but mehn twas impossible. Gave up and slept.

Woke up worried about Virology. "I didnt read Virology enough ooo God". "But it shouldnt take more than 5-10 of the 50 na". "Let me just sacrifice the Virology aspect and put finishing touches on the other 2". "I have been sacrificing topics upandan, Am i a high priest?" Various thoughts running through my mind. Well, I did little I could on Virology and zoomed to school.

Then I entered the hall, took my seat, offered my usual prayer (most important). 25 questions on Parasitology, 12 questions on Virology, 13 on Mycology.

Of the 25 on paraaitology, I felt i was very sure on 18, wasnt too sure on 5. Left 2 unanswered. One on Drancunculus medinensis and the other on diagnosis of malaria (Malaria!!!!!).

Of the 12 Virology questions, I was sure of 11 (suprising eh?) And left one unanswered.

I was sure of all the Mycology answers (13).

So in all I believed I got 42 right answers and wasnt sure of 5. In the worse case scenario with a negative mark of 0.2, i should expect a 41/50 score. Not bad...

I have been riding on a ghost golden horse.
let me unveil myself.
No doubt that I have been on the ghost riding for months.....
GOD bless you sir Doctor Jargo!
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Thewhizzkid1(m): 10:19am On Dec 12, 2017
Dr Jargo I'll appreciate if u occassionally throw some questions from anat, mbc and physiology to us. I'm preparing for my mb exam currently and I kinda need stuffs like this to keep me on check. Thanks.
Re: Drey's Anatomy: An Insight Into My First Preclinical Year by Amalincon(m): 10:48am On Dec 12, 2017
Kudos to Dr jargo for creating this thread...it inspirational !!
I like the way u are expounding what u are going thru in d med sch. It has given us an insight to what is to be expected in the medical school. I got admitted to study Medical radiography. pls who has an idea of courses i will offer in 200L upward ? Thank You.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Nine Courses That Can Make You Cry In Nigerian University / Ogun Isoye: Medicine for Wisdom! / 2017/2018 Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (aau) Aspirants (official Thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.