Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,372 members, 7,812,092 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture (4073 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / Pope Francis Prays For Release Of 6 Kidnapped Nigerian Sisters / This Lady Claims She Is Going To Hell Fire And So Proud Of It ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 1:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

I'm not arguing about what individual Christians did or didn't do.

I'm talking of official Church teaching: it promotes what is good in indigenous culture...and I've given proof.

Again, You lie.

What is Bad about breaking kolanut, so much so that Igbo Catholics despise it?

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by jnrbayano(m): 1:41pm On Sep 30, 2015
atlwireles:
Italo, I have to thank you for the great work you do on this forum. God bless you.

He is a blessing to nairaland
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

And he doesn't even know that you are a lady tongue

I'm actually a dude smiley
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

"Italo" is short for my Edo name "Italome."

Avoid ignorant assumptions.

Now tell me if Ifeness, Plaetton, Hahn, Johnydon22, etc are African names...since that is how you were taught to know who is proud to be African or not.

Ife is my name so.... what are you one about?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by jnrbayano(m): 1:48pm On Sep 30, 2015
plaetton:

Again, You lie.

Do you mean "Igbo" a tribe or a guff?

shocked

Oga, I am Igbo. We break kola (oji) and we are Catholics.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

You're still making ignorant assumptions about me and the Church.

It seems like in your bitterness, you're just desperate to criticize the Church for something...even if it doesn't make sense.

I don't shun anything pro-African...and the Pope doesn't render African art 'demonic.'

The Pope is the head of the most corrupt organization who were involved in destroying your culture and tradition. Have you ever wondered why they burnt books and history of other cultures? The Church or whatever you call it was strongly behind African Slavery. Have you ever heard of Good Ship Jesus and Our Mother Mary ships?

If you were pro-African you wouldn't try to defend an European figure against yours,especially when it comes to your culture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 1:52pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

I'm not arguing about what individual Christians did or didn't do.

I'm talking of official Church teaching: it promotes what is good in indigenous culture...and I've given proof.

And I'm referring to official church practice. It is one thing to preach and it is another thing entirely to act. So far, Christians, especially African Christians, have acted in ways that put the culture of Israel above theirs. Accepting Jesus as lord and personal savior alone aids in brainwashing the minds of the people and by threatening us with hell fire they only prove just how barbaric their, and your, god is. Why should I even believe that someone in a far away land and a far away time died for my sins when it is obvious that every man is responsible for his own destiny.

Why should we worship Yahweh and his cohorts when our culture is filled with our own heroes and our own version of a supreme god. And you claim this type of concept promotes our culture?

Your proof, at best, is hypocritical.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 30, 2015
atlwireles:
Italo, I have to thank you for the great work you do on this forum. God bless you.

Great work by dancing around key questions? angry

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 1:55pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

I'm actually a dude smiley

I was actually referring to Italo. I think she's a woman. I might be mistaken
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

I tire o. Italo hasn't made any valid point so far
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
plaetton:

Oh really,
Since when?
And which Nigeria are in?

The church, led by the MOTHER CHURCH herself, has been in the business of anhialation of cultures for 2 millenia.
Africa and South America has been her worst affected victims.

There is a reason why they call South America Latin America. I guess you haven't figured that out yet.

Mere allegations. No substance.
plaetton:

Igbo Catholics shun and despise all anything related to Igbo culture and traditions.

Something as simple as breaking kolanut, a traditional symbol of the bonds of kinship, truth and harmony, are shunned and despised by Catholics.

Is that an unrelated coincident or a misguided overzealousness on the part Igbo Catholics?

That is just one simple example.

Everytime you're desperate to demonize the Church, you have to come up with blatant lies like this.

Every Igbo Catholic getting married does Igbo Traditional wedding and the Church/laity encourages/values it a lot.

You should have outgrown these petty lies by now.

plaetton:

The point here, italo ( kneejerk defender of everything Catholic), is that your Papi is way ahead of you in terms of humility, being apologetic and contrite about the cultural genocides that is big and undeniable part of Church history.
There is nothing to defend here.
Your Pope is not defending anything, and neither is he asking you to defend the indefencable by weaving a distorted facts of history.

Follow your leader.
Embrace truth, and when necessary, apologize.
That is the Path of honour.

My Pope is defending something - The good in indigenous culture, just like he learnt from the Catholic Church.

This is not to say that Christians haven't done good or bad to indigenous peoples, but official Church teaching has always been that the good in all cultures should be promoted...i have given proof of that...but you refuse to read and come out of ignorance.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

I was actually referring to Italo. I think she's a woman. I might be mistaken

He/she could be smiley...but he/she appears somewhat aggressive,possibly a dude. A clueless one for that matter.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:59pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

And he doesn't even know that you are a lady tongue
I'm a guy.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2015
plaetton:

Again, You lie.

I'm Catholic and half Igbo. We break kolanuts.

Who is lying between you and i?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:05pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:
I'm a guy.

My bad. I could have sworn I saw somewhere where you told someone you are a woman. My mistake
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Ife is my name so.... what are you one about?

I see. "Ness" is your Yoruba middle name.

Don't forget your the one who ignorantly said my name shows I'm not proud to be African.

It is Atheists like Ifeness, Plaetton, Hahn, Johnydon22 that are proudly bearing African names and promoting the Culture.

Continue showing everyone how 'intelligent' you are.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Don't forget your the one who ignorantly said my name shows I'm not proud to be African.

It is Atheists like Ifeness, Plaetton, Hahn, Johnydon22 that are proudly bearing African names and promoting the Culture.

You are obviously relating italo with Italy,that's my point! And you know I'm right.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by atlwireles: 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

I lack the decorum Italo displays on this forum, that's why I stay away from many threads. Please in the name of God, don't quote me in the future, I did not and have not addressed you on this thread. Thanks and God bless.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

The Pope is the head of the most corrupt organization who were involved in destroying your culture and tradition. Have you ever wondered why they burnt books and history of other cultures? The Church or whatever you call it was strongly behind African Slavery. Have you ever heard of Good Ship Jesus and Our Mother Mary ships?

If you were pro-African you wouldn't try to defend an European figure against yours,especially when it comes to your culture.

Mere allegations. No substance, no proof.

I'm not defending any figure against mine...since the Church is not against my culture in the first place.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Lol. Hahn is actually my surname.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:12pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

You are obviously relating italo with Italy,that's my point! And you know I'm right.

Bro, quit it with the assumptions.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:13pm On Sep 30, 2015
atlwireles:

I lack the decorum Italo displays on this forum, that's why I stay away from many threads. Please in the name of God, don't quote me in the future, I did not and have not addressed you on this thread. Thanks and God bless.

Come on, you know you want to hurl insults. Do it. After all, you god promotes lynching grin

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

And I'm referring to official church practice. It is one thing to preach and it is another thing entirely to act. So far, Christians, especially African Christians, have acted in ways that put the culture of Israel above theirs. Accepting Jesus as lord and personal savior alone aids in brainwashing the minds of the people and by threatening us with hell fire they only prove just how barbaric their, and your, god is. Why should I even believe that someone in a far away land and a far away time died for my sins when it is obvious that every man is responsible for his own destiny.

Why should we worship Yahweh and his cohorts when our culture is filled with our own heroes and our own version of a supreme god. And you claim this type of concept promotes our culture?

Your proof, at best, is hypocritical.

Let us test who is better at promoting our culture between you and the Catholic Church.

The Church says that there is some truth in our African religions but the have an imperfect view of the Supreme God.

What do you and other Atheists say about African religions?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 30, 2015
atlwireles:

Since you put god perhaps i will continue to quote you. Why throw stones when you are made of glass?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Lol. Hahn is actually my surname.

Maybe we should forward the surname to the judge of who is or isn't proud to be African.

Ifeness, pronounce judgement.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

I tire o. Italo hasn't made any valid point so far

I have pointed out that the Pope was only reiterating Catholic teaching.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Let us test who is better at promoting our culture between you and the Catholic Church.

The Church says that there is some truth in our African religions but the have an imperfect view of the Supreme God.

What do you and other Atheists say about African religions?

Well, you didn't answer my question.

Let me speak for myself. You can ask the other guys what they think.

Apparently, man has tried as much as we can to explain the existence of life, our purpose, reasons for failure and also, out of greed, the possibility of an afterlife. African religions are also born from this quest for an explanation for what we don't understand. Personally though, I feel a lot of our beliefs need an overhaul and even better we need to put them aside and come up with a constitution that promotes equality, justice etc in our society.

That said, I feel Africans have been robbed of their right to develop our beliefs. Christians don't have a right to say that Africans are wrong by worshiping idols because worshiping the cross is also a form of idol worship.

By the way, atheists are only here to tell you guys that you are all practicing rubbish.

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by tosyne2much(m): 2:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Apparently, man has tried as much as we can to explain the existence of life, our purpose, reasons for failure and also, out of greed, the possibility of an afterlife. African religions are also born from this quest for an explanation for what we don't understand. Personally though, I feel a lot of our beliefs need an overhaul and even better we need to put them aside and come up with a constitution that promotes equality, justice etc in our society.

That said, I feel Africans have been robbed of their right to develop our beliefs. Christians don't have a right to say that Africans are wrong by worshiping idols because worshiping the cross is also a form of idol worship.

By the way, atheists are only here to tell you guys that you are all practicing rubbish.
Seconded !! cool

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
jnrbayano:

He is a blessing to nairaland

Lol.
He is a defender of the faith, nothing more.

However, his train has already left the station, and he is not even aware of it.

In other words, the Pope is going around the world, apologizing, healing old wounds, and correcting misconceptions of faith.
Italo should get behind his leader, and stop spinning half truths.

And this is the problem, as I have always cried out, with Africans and the foriegn religions they consume. They barely understand the precepts and history of the religions they consume. They overfeed themselves with unhealthy parts of their tokumbo religions.

Italo, for example is a consumer of Catholic of Catholic doctrines.
The Pope, on the other hand, is the soveriegn head or CEO of the institution that fabricate the doctrines.

I am guessing that the Pope should know much more about his product specs, the nutritional contents and values, the product shelf life, the product updates and product recalls, than Italo, who is just happy, over-fed consumer.

What Pope francis is doing right now is the a product recall.
Bad, defective products have been in the Market for too long and have caused far too much damage,and happy, ill-informed consumers like Italo have been overdosing themselves on a defective product.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

So you don't really want African religion to be defended.

You're just pretending...to attack the Church.

Okay.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 2:50pm On Sep 30, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
He is a defender of the faith, nothing more.

However, his train has already left the station, and he is not even aware of it.

In other words, the Pope is going around the world, apologizing, healing old wounds, and correcting misconceptions of faith.
Italo should get behind his leader, and stop spinning half truths.

And this is the problem, as I have always cried out, with Africans and the foriegn religions they consume. They barely understand the precepts and history of the religions they consume. They overfeed themselves with unhealthy parts of their tokumbo religions.

Italo, for example is a consumer of Catholic of Catholic doctrines.
The Pope, on the other hand, is the soveriegn head or CEO of the institution that fabricate the doctrines.

I am guessing that the Pope should know much more about his product specs, the nutritional contents and values, the product shelf life, the product updates and product recalls, than Italo, who is just happy, over-fed consumer.

What Pope francis is doing right now is the a product recall.
Bad, defective products have been in the Market for too long and have caused far too much damage,and happy, ill-informed consumers like Italo have been overdosing themselves on a defective product.

If you hadn't lied that Igbo Catholics despise everything about their tradition, even breaking kola, maybe someone could have been tempted to think that this your epistle is true.

wink

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

So you don't really want African religion to be defended.

You're just pretending...to attack the Church.

Okay.

As an atheist, I don't believe in any form of a supreme entity especially one that is so good at playing hide and seek whether it is of a European or African or Martian origin.

From where I sit, you guys are all practicing rubbish and it's high time you stop criticizing each other and focus on what really matters. The human race.

But I do agree that as Africans we are better at practising and promoting our own beliefs rather than imitating and adopting another race's ideology and placing it over our own. This has stumped our intellectual growth and has also robbed us of our right to our identity

And you still haven't answered my question.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Secrets That Brought PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE To The Fore Front Of Ministry / You Feel Someone Is Pressing You Down When You Sleep? This Is What Happens / Open Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.