Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,947 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture (4071 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / Pope Francis Prays For Release Of 6 Kidnapped Nigerian Sisters / This Lady Claims She Is Going To Hell Fire And So Proud Of It ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

If you hadn't lied that Igbo Catholics despise everything about their tradition, even breaking kola, maybe someone could have been tempted to think that this your epistle is true.

wink
wink
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

As an atheist, I don't believe in any form of a supreme entity especially one that is so good at playing hide and seek whether it is of a European or African or Martian origin.

From where I sit, you guys are all practicing rubbish and it's high time you stop criticizing each other and focus on what really matters. The human race.

But I do agree that as Africans we are better at practising and promoting our own beliefs rather than imitating and adopting another race's ideology and placing it over our own. This has stumped our intellectual growth and has also robbed us of our right to our identity

And you still haven't answered my question.

Jesus Christ was born in Israel but he came and died for all.

He is God the Son who created the world. The true God.

It happens that many cultures have an imperfect understanding of this supreme God and his ways.

The Church comes to show all peoples the true God and his ways. To perfect what is imperfect about them, including Israel.

Where the African culture teaches respect for elders, the Church says Yes. What do Atheists say? Many would care.

Where the African Culture emphasizes a thriving communal life, the Church says Yes. Many Atheists would say no need.

Where the African Culture says kill all twins, the Church says no.

Where the culture says Kings should be buried with 7 heads, the Church says no.

This is not a destruction of culture, it is rather an enhancement and improvement of the African culture.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2015
@ hahn, I don't see much reason to discuss with you. You don't actually want to see African culture/beliefs defended.

You actually want to see it overhauled. You just pretended to be in defence of African beliefs to attack the Church.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 3:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

It happens that many cultures have an imperfect understanding of this supreme God and his ways.

The Church comes to show all peoples the true God and his ways. To perfect what is imperfect about them, including Israel.

Where the African culture teaches respect for elders, the Church says Yes. What do Atheists say? Many would care.

Where the African Culture emphasizes a thriving communal life, the Church says Yes. Many Atheists would say no need.

This is not a destruction of culture, it is rather an enhancement and improvement of the African culture.

Wait. I need to put on the gen
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Wait. I need to put on the gen

You're welcome to put on the gen.

But to be frank, I see no reason arguing with you. What you falsely accuse the Church of doing to African beliefs (while pretending to be in defence of African beliefs), is precisely what you would do if you could.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

If you hadn't lied that Igbo Catholics despise everything about their tradition, even breaking kola, maybe someone could have been tempted to think that this your epistle is true.

wink

This reply is not enough bro.He said your pope is trying to right all the wrongs they have done in the past.Recalling bad goods into the factory. You know the pope was pro-stoning innocent women to death. You need to counter that at least.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 4:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

You're welcome to put on the gen.

But to be frank, I see no reason arguing with you. What you falsely accuse the Church of doing to African beliefs (while pretending to be in defence of African beliefs), is precisely what you would do if you could.

italo:
@ hahn, I don't see much reason to discuss with you. You don't actually want to see African culture/beliefs defended.
You actually want to see it overhauled. You just pretended to be in defence of African beliefs to attack the Church.

You must have must have missed where i said

But I do agree that as Africans we are better at practising and promoting our own beliefs rather than imitating and adopting another race's ideology and placing it over our own. This has stumped our intellectual growth and has also robbed us of our right to our identity

italo:

42,000 religions say this is not true even the jews undecided

It so happens that many cultures have created their own version of an imaginary supreme being. That's why you are all so confused grin

The church is only concerned about imposing their beliefs on other people and spreading the European world order

Atheists believe everyone deserves respect irrespective of their age. We also believe in respecting other people's beliefs and opinions. However, if you are going to tell me your belief is the best then you have to be ready to prove it.

The world is now a global village undecided

Where the church says everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus deserves to go to hell atheists say "that is barbaric" undecided

Where the church says that Mary got pregnant while she was a virgin and impose it as a fact an atheists says, NONSENSE!

This is not an enhancement or improvement of the African culture but rather the conscious destruction of it by imposing the church's(Europe's elite) beliefs and teaching myths and fairy tales as truths/facts while trying to promote their world order. Italo, you are nothing but a perfect example of an uncle Tom.

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 4:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

This reply is not enough bro.He said your pope is trying to right all the wrongs they have done in the past.Recalling bad goods into the factory. You know the pope was pro-stoning innocent women to death. You need to counter that at least.

He needs to prove his lies.

You can't be telling lie after lie without proof and be asking me to counter it.

Start by proving that Igbo Catholics despise everything about Igbo tradition, then maybe I'll start to take you and him serious.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 4:44pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

The guy is adept at dancing around points. He's a typical Christian hero

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

I assume you have Jesus's birth certificate yeah?

There is no evidence Jesus or his father created the world(stop hallucinating)

Apparently church killed tons of women accused of witchcraft.

Apparently church doesn't care about birth control

Apparently the holy book of the church commanded multiples of genocides

Apparently the church gets rich by forcing the poor to pay money with the threats of hill fire
Apparently the church is openly homophobic.

I could go on and on..... Atheism is the way forward italo.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

He needs to prove his lies.

You can't be telling lie after lie without proof and be asking me to counter it.

Start by proving that Igbo Catholics despise everything about Igbo tradition, then maybe I'll start to take you and him serious.

Noted. In that case can you prove how you god's t know your got existence is real? Thanks
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 4:50pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

You must have must have missed where i said

I don't want to go off-topic. If you want to discuss other things, open a new thread. I'll answer you.

What exactly is your point on this thread?

Did I misread where you said African beliefs were rubbish and should be overhauled?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Noted. In that case can you prove how you god's t know your got existence is real? Thanks

Off topic.

Open another thread on God's existence.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 4:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

I don't want to go off-topic. If you want to discuss other things, open a new thread. I'll answer you.

What exactly is your point on this thread?

Did I misread where you said African beliefs were rubbish and should be overhauled?

You obviously lack anything to say. I only replied your comments.

And you definitely didn't miss where I also said your belief is rubbish as well.

Whatever. Have a nice day.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 5:00pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

I assume you have Jesus's birth certificate yeah?

There is no evidence Jesus or his father created the world(stop hallucinating)

Apparently church killed tons of women accused of witchcraft.

Apparently church doesn't care about birth control

Apparently the holy book of the church commanded multiples of genocides

Apparently the church gets rich by forcing the poor to pay money with the threats of hill fire
Apparently the church is openly homophobic.

I could go on and on..... Atheism is the way forward italo.

We have digressed too far from the topic.

What exactly is your frustration on this topic?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 5:03pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

You obviously lack anything to say. I only replied your comments.

And you definitely didn't miss where I also said your belief is rubbish as well.

Whatever. Have a nice day.

You want 'rubbish' African beliefs abolished.

Then you accuse The Catholic Church of wanting 'rubbish' African beliefs abolished.

Yet you say I have nothing to say...

Gimme a break.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

The guy is adept at dancing around points. He's a typical Christian hero

You're the one dancing.

You say rubbish African religion should be abolished...

...then you pretend as if you don't want it abolished...

Where do you stand?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 5:12pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

You want 'rubbish' African beliefs abolished.

Then you accuse The Catholic Church of wanting 'rubbish' African beliefs abolished.

Yet you say I have nothing to say...

Gimme a break.

Everyone's belief is subject to improvement, I agree. The main point behind this issue is that the church has chosen to IMPOSE theirs on Africans. This is something Africans should choose by themselves. You haven't seen me anywhere telling people to leave their beliefs and join mine and threatening them with hell like you and your church do, have you?

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 5:15pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

You're the one dancing.

You say rubbish African religion should be abolished...

...then you pretend as if you don't want it abolished...

Where do you stand?

You don't understand bro. I don't really care about your beliefs or Africa's beliefs as long as it is not focused on improving the human race here on this earth.

The problem I have is you imposing your beliefs and fairy tales as fact/truth.

Keep it to yourself undecided

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Everyone's belief is subject to improvement, I agree. The main point behind this issue is that the church has chosen to IMPOSE theirs on Africans.

PROPOSE, not impose.
hahn:

This is something Africans should choose by themselves.

The Church proposed Christianity, and many Africans embraced it. Nothing wrong with that.

hahn:

You haven't seen me anywhere telling people to leave their beliefs and join mine
That is what you're doing right now. It is my belief that I should share my faith; you're telling me to leave that belief and join your belief that belief should be kept to oneself. No?

hahn:

and threatening them with hell like you and your church do, have you?

Where did I or my Church threaten anyone with hell? Show me.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 6:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

You don't understand bro. I don't really care about your beliefs or Africa's beliefs as long as it is not focused on improving the human race here on this earth.

The problem I have is you imposing your beliefs and fairy tales as fact/truth.

Keep it to yourself undecided

We have a right to propose our belief to others, whether you think it's true or false.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

We have a right to propose our belief to others, whether you think it's true or false.

Which you have succesfully done with brutal force.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 7:48pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Which you have succesfully done with brutal force.
In your ignorant opinion, as usual.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 7:54am On Oct 01, 2015
italo:

And I have the right to question your belief so you can prove if it is true or false
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 8:03am On Oct 01, 2015
italo:

PROPOSE, not impose.

It's impose not propose

The Church proposed Christianity, and many Africans embraced it. Nothing wrong with that.

Everything is wrong with that because a vast majority of people who did were forced to do that. Don't forget that the same Christians who brought Christianity also brought slavery along

That is what you're doing right now. It is my belief that I should share my faith; you're telling me to leave that belief and join your belief that belief should be kept to oneself. No?

No. I am only telling you to keep your belief to yourself. I am only questioning it

Where did I or my Church threaten anyone with hell? Show me.

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 8:08am On Oct 01, 2015
hahn:

And I have the right to question your belief so you can prove if it is true or false

Of course.

1. And I have a right to answer you or ignore you regardless of whether my belief is true or not.

2. Who has ever denied you the right to question?

3. I have a right to question your beliefs to.

4. Can you see how you are dragging us off topic again? What has questioning got to do with respect for culture? It is not a must to talk. I have proved that what Pope Francis said in the OP is Catholic teaching. End of story.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 8:09am On Oct 01, 2015
italo:

Of course.

1. And I have a right to answer you or ignore you regardless of whether my belief is true or not.

2. Who has ever denied you the right to question?

3. I have a right to question your beliefs to.

4. Can you see how you are dragging us off topic again? What has questioning got to do with respect for culture? It is not a must to talk. I have proved that what Pope Francis said in the OP is Catholic teaching. End of story.

End of story. You've won! Yippee! Now go and buy yourself a bottle of malt and enjoy your victory undecided
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 8:39am On Oct 01, 2015
Hahn
It's impose not propose.

Everything is wrong with that because a vast majority of people who did were forced to do that. Don't forget that the same Christians who brought Christianity also brought slavery along

The Church never brought slavery. Slave traders (both Christians and Atheists) were coming to Africa anyways. The Church seized the opportunity to introduce the Good News to the human beings who the slave traders were encountering...as a work of love.

No. I am only telling you to keep your belief to yourself. I am only questioning it

(A)It is your belief that faith should be kept to oneself.

(B)It is my belief that faith should be shared.

You are telling me to leave mine (B) and join yours (A)...

Yet criticizing me Christians for telling others to join Christianity.

The same way you were falsely accusing the Church for what you would do to African beliefs if you could.

Your positions are illogical.

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

That is the reality being communicated in love. It is the natural consequence of rejecting God (at least as the Church sees it). It is like telling someone that rejecting food will make him die. It's not a threat...even if the person doesn't believe it.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 01, 2015
italo:
In your ignorant opinion, as usual.

OP is trying to make you aware of the benefit in having and loving your African values(if you can remember any). But obviously you have joined the band wagon of christian terrorists. You are nothing but a back benched Catholic who does everything to kiss the ass of the Evil Pope.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by marykaydee: 5:54pm On Dec 30, 2015
plaetton:

Again, You lie.

What is Bad about breaking kolanut, so much so that Igbo Catholics despise it?

Says who, even during cultural day in my church, all tribes perform their traditional rights. Igbos break cola and even pour drinks in honour of ancestors.i just finished from a catholic traditional family wedding and they broke cola

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alert! Inter-faith Worship Is Coming. Do Not Compromise Your Salvation. / Pastor WF Kumuyi Build Bridge And Public Car Park / The Rapture - Jesus Second Coming In Two Stages ? Is The Rapture Secret ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.