Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (10424 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. / Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? / Astronomers Release The Keys To Finding Alien Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by finofaya: 11:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
[quote author=KingEbukasBlog post=38612996][/quote]

I've heard of it but I haven't seen it. Dunno what it's about. What is the supposed mission of the aliens/set of aliens?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by macof(m): 11:43pm On Oct 02, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Very erroneous assumption . Look at how vast the universe is . I'm a christian and I strongly , very strongly believe that God created life in far way planets

True

Natural selection does not point to evolution

Mention these factors

that my conclusion is false assumptions to u is ur business..ur own assumptions too..this is just an interactive thread

the vastness of the universe got nothing to do with life on mars or any other planet, if the factors necessary for life are absent there can never be life as we know it.

I have no regard for Christianity, so I don't know why you should mention that

oh, actually natural selection does

distance from a major star, adequate amount of essential elements, the planet's magnetic field... just to mention a few
all these factors need to be in perfect place to have what earth has

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by kkash: 12:32am On Oct 03, 2015
I believe life exists in other planets buh nt in d form we expect....cos we cn see, touch nd Mk contact with all forms of life here on earth doesn't automatically mean we cn do such in other planets....every planets wit her own rules....cld be dat dis extraterrestrials radiate higher spectrums dat d human eye nd techs cnt perceive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 12:54am On Oct 03, 2015
macof:

that my conclusion is false assumptions to u is ur business..ur own assumptions too..this is just an interactive thread

As a matter of fact bro you shouldn't conclude because such conclusions beclouds the possibilities of what may be or not. There is a lot the universe can teach us so don't make absolute conclusions...

the vastness of the universe got nothing to do with life on mars or any other planet, if the factors necessary for life are absent there can never be life as we know it.

Vastness of the universe suggest billions out of the trillions of planets on it might be habitable and possibly harbour life...

oh, actually natural selection does
True

distance from a major star, adequate amount of essential elements, the planet's magnetic field... just to mention a few
all these factors need to be in perfect place to have what earth has

I believe what you are trying to point out here is the Goldilocks zone, water and breathable atmosphere..

Well billions of planets actually are on the Goldilocks zone of their respective parent stars.

Water probably is one of the characteristics man has unidentified with rocky terrestrial planets.

Mercury, Venus has polar ice, earth has a lot of water, Mars used to but still has a little, Jupiter's moon Ganymede has, Europa is speculated to contain twice as much waters in the earth's ocean under it's ice surface..

I think the possibility of ancient life forms are quite loud.………

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by macof(m): 1:15am On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:

As a matter of fact bro you shouldn't conclude because such conclusions beclouds the possibilities of what may be or not. There is a lot the universe can teach us so don't make absolute conclusions...

Vastness of the universe suggest billions out of the trillions of planets on it might be habitable and possibly harbour life...

True

I believe what you are trying to point out here is the Goldilocks zone, water and breathable atmosphere..

Well billions of planets actually are on the Goldilocks zone of their respective parent stars.

Water probably is one of the characteristics man has unidentified with rocky terrestrial planets.

Mercury, Venus has polar ice, earth has a lot of water, Mars used to but still has a little, Jupiter's moon Ganymede has, Europa is speculated to contain twice as much waters in the earth's ocean under it's ice surface..

I think the possibility of ancient life forms are quite loud.………
well, am not denying the possibility of alien life but by what is available to us now, I settle for No aliens argument, I just think all the factors responsible for life on earth has to be present with other planets for them to contain life as we know it. Humans after all started out in east Africa before spreading , so why can't sentient beings start from earth? Don't ever think you know nature so well.
It wouldn't surprise me if am wrong tho
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 1:18am On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
I register my presence, i will come back to edit in full. But let me just drop these placeholder thoughts.
smiley

Is it possible to find the dates in which belief in skygods from diverse ancient cultures began?
Hinduism is the first organized religion known to man but rituals like marking the grave of a dear one has been present in early humans 50,000years ago.

It's no doubt politics and religion are both constructs of organized societies. . So we should be looking back back to the earliest civilizations to place a guess on when this concept of deities might have developed.

the issue of them being ET remains arguable

Are there caves and deep wet crevices on mars?
Earth's caves are as a result of geological weathering so i anticipate other rocky planets might also have caves.

datas gathered by curiosity rover shows that Mars has a moist soil when you dig a few inches deep and dark craters within the surface might possibly be wet...

Where did all the carbondioxide of the atomsphere there come from?
Hypothesized that Mars atmosphere was destroyed from an impact with a celestial body prolly an asteroid. . .The Co2 might have been as a result of that impact..

Would aliens be friendly or hostile?
The possibility lean on both ways (who wouldn't be excited meeting an interstellar neighbour..)

Also depends on the height of their advancement and the circumstances surrounding the meeting...

If we and these aliens eventually do meet, how will we understand each other?
I highly doubt that but signs are language that can be understood well, seeing and knowing what they look like first is the main thing before communication barrier..

What impact would be made on the world if mars turned out to have life? And otherwise?
It would be a drastic impact mostly on world religions because it might help man ascertain the right chemical and biological interactions under the right condition that may lead to life, thus answering the question on the emergence of life.

I doubt if religions would recover from such severe blows . . .It would also affect world politics, education and science ...

In the fifteenth century, two halves of the world, completely oblivious to each other, met. Could this be a similar situation?
It is possible too...

If nasa found life on mars, what incentive could they possibly have for them not to tell us?
According to conspiracy theorists to protect the government/religious Mass control schemes. . Lol..

for me i think they could just tell us...see no reason why they should hold back except first the need to prepare the masses psychologically for such information

These are just placeholder thoughts. To guide me when i return to edit.
Hope we aint gonna get second letter to the Corinthians when you get back grin

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 1:30am On Oct 03, 2015
macof:
well, am not denying the possibility of alien life but by what is available to us now, I settle for No aliens argument, I just think all the factors responsible for life on earth has to be present with other planets for them to contain life as we know it.
Other life forms in other planets might have emerged due to the interactions of elements within the environment and so just like life on earth might develop features to adapt. . That we need/breathe oxygen doesn't mean other life forms in other planets must need oxygen, their own needed respiratory element might be different and even dangerous to us..

Humans after all started out in east Africa before spreading , so why can't sentient beings start from earth?
why can't they start from Mars too? . . i think discovering alien life form on Mars possibly in microbile form might help man deduct the formations of life from natural interactions within the environment.

Have read some crazy theory that suggested ancient human ancestors were marsians who had to flee the planet after what ever it is that left the planet scarred and desolate.. but i take it as just another crazy conpsiracy theory by crazy minds grin

Don't ever think you know nature so well.
It wouldn't surprise me if am wrong tho
This is my point why i said do not make absolute conclusions.

There is no stipulated way nature must conform to in relation to different levels of interactions.

Nature gives from the result of the interactions and so can yield results unrelated to what you are used to. . even here on planet earth...

we have bats that see from sonic waves while man is still fantasizing about that ability..

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 6:10am On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
Other life forms in other planets might have emerged due to the interactions of elements within the environment and so just like life on earth might develop features to adapt. . That we need/breathe oxygen doesn't mean other life forms in other planets must need oxygen, their own needed respiratory element might be different and even dangerous to us..

why can't they start from Mars too? . . i think discovering alien life form on Mars possibly in microbile form might help man deduct the formations of life from natural interactions within the environment.

Have read some crazy theory that suggested ancient human ancestors were marsians who had to flee the planet after what ever it is that left the planet scarred and desolate.. but i take it as just another crazy conpsiracy theory by crazy minds grin

This is my point why i said do not make absolute conclusions.

There is no stipulated way nature must conform to in relation to different levels of interactions.

Nature gives from the result of the interactions and so can yield results unrelated to what you are used to. . even here on planet earth...

we have bats that see from sonic waves while man is still fantasizing about that ability..

Am waiting for you to complete that ur diary ooo

I don't know the reason for the insufficient permission they re displaying on the comment box.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Annunaki(m): 7:38am On Oct 03, 2015
hahn:

I only drink Aba made grin

And it is "it's" not irt's tongue

grin tongue
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 7:50am On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
You are right brother, they may be biological engineering might be far different from ours, maybe they exist in another dimension, at different energy levels just like the jinns( dunno if you believe in them).. maybe these are the major reasons we are yet to find them..

My thoughts cheesy

what if they exist in an unstable and invisible planet, that keeps teleporting from one location to the other cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 10:14am On Oct 03, 2015
krattoss:

Am waiting for you to complete that ur diary ooo

I don't know the reason for the insufficient permission they re displaying on the comment box.

It is a diary so i don't think they allow others to comment. . One can only read and share..
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 10:19am On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:

You are right brother, they may be biological engineering might be far different from ours, maybe they exist in another dimension, at different energy levels just like the jinns( dunno if you believe in them).. maybe these are the major reasons we are yet to find them..
Theoretically plausible....@Bolded

but i don't believe all these ideas as asserted here by earthlings, those ones are mere superstitious postulations by minds that was lost in the questions of the world...

My thoughts cheesy
what if they exist in an unstable and invisible planet, that keeps teleporting from one location to the other cheesy cheesy
Lol. . at unstable and invisible, i think not. . Maybe might not be visible to the naked eyes but in infrared mode might be visible if these entities give off heat...

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 10:59am On Oct 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

There are suggestions that the inhabitants of Mars were obliterated through a nuclear war with a superior alien specie
I think that story is bs, I don't think conditions on Mars was favorable long enough for intelligent life to have form
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 11:05am On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
Theoretically plausible....@Bolded

but i don't believe all these ideas as asserted here by earthlings, those ones are mere superstitious postulations by minds that was lost in the questions of the world...

Lol. . at unstable and invisible, i think not. . Maybe might not be visible to the naked eyes but in infrared mode might be visible if these entities give off heat...
hehe cheesy was only joking with the teleporting stuff... I just don't understand the deterring factors keeping us from finding them since.. lets hope mars points us in the right direction...

And for the jinns, I believe in their existence.. maybe the jinns are even the aliens.. cheesy who knows cheesy
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:09am On Oct 03, 2015
macof:
well, I haven't got reason to believe aliens exist. Nature is beautiful and complex, she doesn't need to keep popping sentient beings everywhere

That flowing water existed on Mars and might still exist beneath the surface doesn't mean we have cousins on our neighbor planet. Natural selection has a wide variety of options, that humans are humans and not Chimps despite having common origins is just to buttress my point

even if there's life on mars, probably just bacteria-type organisms, factors that bring forth organisms like Humans or even fishes on earth might not be present on any other planet in the universe
The possibility of complex and intelligent life from existing on other planet and system is highly possible but not Mars. If earth earth were to be in state Mars is now for a billion or 2 years, the only form of life capable of surviving on such hash conditions are bacteria
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:55am On Oct 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I know right . There are even NASA reports of asteroids having a safe distance from the earth for close to 2 months now . One was seen about 4-5 days ago .

But a more interesting claim by Stephen Hawking in a new interview with El Pais . He claims that the earth could be invaded and humanity conquered by nomadic advanced aliens . His words :

But actually I dont think the human race could be obliterated through AI uprising , its not just a plausible assumption . I think Stephen so much holds abhorrent dooms- day beliefs grin . What do you think ?
Hawkins is right to a great extent.

First nasa only keep close tag on objects that are moving in a trajectory that might bring them close or on a part that put them on a collusion course with earth. There are many object orbiting inside our solar system, though nasa try to keep tagged you can't be certain when and unexpected guy popup from now for example some bad guys do not show up on radar until they extremely close.

Secondly on the alien invasion thing, I will go with three assumption.
Any civilization that is advance enough to conquer space will be mentally advance enough to pursue such goal for scientific and research purpose except

2.if they face examination in their home world, even at that I believe they will understand the need for self preservation meaning the people of earth will fight with everything they have, which means they might end up been extinct. So why not look for a young planet with no intelligent life form.
3. Treasure hunters. Space treasure seekers, though in future there might space nomad but I think there are a lot of dead planet with a lot gold, diamond, uranium etc why going through a lot of trouble battling the people of earth.

The only bad guys I dread the most is the future of A.I. The future is going to be interesting with robot, I believe the last thing standing on this planet is going to be robots.
In the future if we can fully understand how the the human mind works who knows we might even upload our minds into a machine

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 12:00pm On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:
hehe cheesy was only joking with the teleporting stuff... I just don't understand the deterring factors keeping us from finding them since.. lets hope mars points us in the right direction...
Lack of sophisticated technology to achieve that herculean task. . man has only been able to go to the moon of all the celestial objects out there not to talk of distance barrier of which we have to find a way to travel with the speed of light. .

And for the jinns, I believe in their existence.. maybe the jinns are even the aliens.. cheesy who knows cheesy
If Jinns are Aliens then they are material entities (Natural life forms different from us) and this kills the spirity mumbo jumbo...
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 12:09pm On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
Lack of sophisticated technology to achieve that herculean task. . man has only been able to go to the moon of all the celestial objects out there not to talk of distance barrier of which we have to find a way to travel with the speed of light. .

If Jinns are Aliens then they are material entities (Natural life forms different from us) and this kills the spirity mumbo jumbo...
Speed of light you say grin lets hope we achieve that in the next 2millennia grin
And I hope the jinns turn out to be the aliens... atleast we can stop looking for them
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:

My thoughts cheesy

er . . . i don't think so.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I know right . There are even NASA reports of asteroids having a safe distance from the earth for close to 2 months now . One was seen about 4-5 days ago .

But a more interesting claim by Stephen Hawking in a new interview with El Pais . He claims that the earth could be invaded and humanity conquered by nomadic advanced aliens . His words :

But actually I dont think the human race could be obliterated through AI uprising , its not just a plausible assumption . I think Stephen so much holds abhorrent dooms- day beliefs grin . What do you think ?
the human race is more likely to be obliterated through AI uprising than through asteroid collisions. i think.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
Neptune joor... those two confuse me like P-squre
it's actually Poseidon. grin grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 1:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
it's actually Poseidon. grin grin

Uuhm Poseidon is for greece, Neptune is the roman God of the sea undecided
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:

Uuhm Poseidon is for greece, Neptune is the roman God of the sea undecided
yes nah . . . you guys were talking from a greek standpoint. i recall you were talking about Aphrodite, which is greek, and uranus, which is also greek. changing that midway would be intellectual dishonesty. grin grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by seunot: 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
Aliens definately exist, the issue is their complexity in terms of intelligence, cellular composition etc.

Too much television has made many believe aliens will be most likely 'unfriendly'. However for any life form to develop a means of interstellar transportation and visit 'other civilizations' most likely means they'll be less violent or very 'enlightened'. The more knowledge a specie has, the less violent they become!

However, if humans will ever be destroyed and exterminated, it'll be by their own SELF attribute and this might surprise you; ADVANCEMENT! The more knowledgeable a specie becomes, the more complacent and libral they becomes. In the end, our FREEDOM and LIBERTY if based on our SELFISH nature will put an end to humanity!!!

I pray not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes nah . . . you guys were talking from a greek standpoint. i recall you were talking about Aphrodite, which is greek, and uranus, which is also greek. changing that midway would be intellectual dishonesty. grin grin

You welleth not, i was given examples of personifications of existential qualities with vague concepts.

That i mentioned Greek Gods and Goddess doesn't mean i should mention Roman Gods too undecided
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 2:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
er . . . i don't think so.
and what do you think?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2015
when a scientist loses his temper . . .
johnydon22:

You welleth not, i was given examples of personifications of existential qualities with vague concepts.

That i mentioned Greek Gods and Goddess doesn't mean i should mention Roman Gods too undecided
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
when a scientist loses his temper . . .
for where angry grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:
and what do you think?
i think that anything on a 'higher energy level' doesn't even exist/cannot exist in this universe and therefore is outside the realm of what we are looking for. which is alien lifeform in this universe.

if we can find bacteria life on mars, it will go a long way to prove what life really is. of course, religion will find a way to cirumnavigate around that as well.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by macof(m): 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:

My thoughts cheesy

grin grin that one no be aliens again o. na spiritual stuff
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 9:14pm On Oct 03, 2015
Lalasticlala abeg bro, help push this thread sir
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
macof:

grin grin that one no be aliens again o. na spiritual stuff
what if aliens are spiritual grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Check Bank Verification Number - BVN Via Phone / Solar Energy - All You Need To Know / AMAZING TECHNOLOGY: A Laundry, Ironing And Folding Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.