Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) (10423 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri Milner And Stephen Hawking To Begin Search For Alien Life. / Alien Life: Fiction Becoming A Reality? / Astronomers Release The Keys To Finding Alien Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by kkash: 9:33pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
i think that anything on a 'higher energy level' doesn't even exist/cannot exist in this universe and therefore is outside the realm of what we are looking for. which is alien lifeform in this universe.

if we can find bacteria life on mars, it will go a long way to prove what life really is. of course, religion will find a way to cirumnavigate around that as well.
any proof dat nothing can exist in higher energy levels?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
i think that anything on a 'higher energy level' doesn't even exist/cannot exist in this universe and therefore is outside the realm of what we are looking for. which is alien lifeform in this universe.

if we can find bacteria life on mars, it will go a long way to prove what life really is. of course, religion will find a way to cirumnavigate around that as well.
I don't agree with this.. I believe there are things beyond our energy level, waiting to be discovered..
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
kkash:

any proof dat nothing can exist in higher energy levels?
i did not say anything cannot exist at higher energy levels. i said, that nothing that exists in higher energy level can be accounted for in this universe.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
bqlekan:

I don't agree with this.. I believe there are things beyond our energy level, waiting to be discovered..
define energy level.

i define energy level as energy states in quantum mechanics. you are obviously talking about something else. so, what is defined as energy level on your terms?

we cannot waste time trying to find hypothetical locations which can only be proven by pseudoscience. if we look for life on mars, it will be the type that exists on our spatial and temporal plane.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by kkash: 11:33pm On Oct 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
i did not say anything cannot exist at higher energy levels. i said, that nothing that exists in higher energy level can be accounted for in this universe.
ok....and dat cld be d reason y extraterrestrial lives cnt be accounted for.....(cos dey radiate higher energy spectrum)....d highest spectrum we cn account for here on earth is cosmic rays, probably der are oda rays wch even our high tech devices cnt perceive
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by davien(m): 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Difference of 0.8 billion years - 800 million years , 8 million centuries , 8 hundred thousand millennia , 250 billion days - evidently can't be seen/viewed as "immediately " undecided

As compared to 4.5 billion years of age, it is.. learn to understand relative figures.
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by wiegraf: 2:06am On Oct 04, 2015
No physical evidence of alien visits = no reason to believe there were alien visits.

Dragons show up in various largely unrelated cultures, doesn't mean large fire breathing reptilian-like species existed. Same with gods. Same with alien visitors

Aiens exist. The sheer scale of the universe alone makes it extremely likely. We can assume 'intelligent' species are rare. They've been billions of species on this rock and as far as we know we're the only ones that qualify as such. Still, considering scale, there near must be other intelligent species out there. Physicist Fermi once crunched numbers and asked 'why haven't we found any?'. I think that a very interesting question
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by wiegraf: 2:11am On Oct 04, 2015
Annunaki:

What do you want to about know us? angry

How did you evolve wings? Seriously, we don't know how some dinosaurs managed it.

Also, do you taste like turkey?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Annunaki(m): 7:30am On Oct 04, 2015
wiegraf:

How did you evolve wings? Seriously, we don't know how some dinosaurs managed it.

Also, do you taste like turkey?

We don't have wings but we have interstellar flying vessels with which we came to your primitive planet and if you want to know what I taste like, you will have to eat me first. tongue
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
There would certainly be, at least, in other solar systems. My fear is that they should not be more technologically advance than us here, so that we are not all colonised again! grin

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2015
There would certainly be, at least, in other solar systems. My fear is that they should not be more technologically advance than us here, so that we are not all colonised again! grin

johnydon22
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nmeri17: 12:52am On Oct 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
I'm a christian cheesy
The respect I had for you was birthed after I read quite an intelligible argument you made on some thread in the religion section and ever since, I have been a secret admirer.

However, presently, I am unable to describe how tasking it is, reconciling the appalling comments I'm seeing with the monicker peddling it.

"You strongly believe God created life in far away planets"?? impressive school of thought!! smiley May I ask: as a Christian, what purpose does this life serve in God's overall scheme of things?? do they have their own Jesus and "run the race to meet their Redeemer"??

still based on the premise that "I'm a Christian cheesy ", do you not believe man is metaphorically the center of the universe and God's six days of creation??

2 Likes

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:14am On Oct 05, 2015
Nmeri17:
The respect I had for you skyrocketed after I read quite an intelligible argument you made on some thread in the religion section and ever since, I have been a secret admirer.

Wow .... Thanks smiley

However, presently, I am unable to describe how tasking it is, reconciling the appalling comments I'm seeing with the monicker peddling it.

Hmmm

"You strongly believe God created life in far away planets"?? impressive school of thought!! smiley May I ask: as a Christian, what purpose does this life serve in God's overall scheme of things?? do they have their own Jesus and "run the race to meet their Redeemer"??

You see , like I always said , the purpose of the creation of the universe is to be inhabited by intelligent moral agents to whom God will reveal Himself to . If this purpose has been completely understood then it answers your question : "Do they have their own Jesus and run the race to meet their Redeemer " . The same God in those planets not really "their own Jesus " or "their Redeemer"

still based on the premise that "I'm a Christian cheesy ", do you not believe man is metaphorically the center of the universe and God's six days of creation??

The earth is not 6, 000 years and the 6 days creation is not metaphorical . The 6 days of creation has to do with the restoration of the earth .

You can read here for more understanding ( A thread I created ): https://www.nairaland.com/2305535/dealing-misconceptions-10-things-bible

I dont really understand what you mean by man is the center of the universe . If you mean that the human being is the most important of all of God's creations then yes because we were created in His image and likeness .

"Let us create man in our image and likeness " - this could mean that we have created other intelligent moral agents in other planets , lets create one that looks like us .
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 11:20am On Oct 05, 2015
theAtheist101:

Lmao. . my best guess is that we might establish interplanetary and galactic diplomatic ties with these advanced life forms .

Watch this cartoon called "Miles from tomorrow" it is a futuristic cartoon of how man's space science and technology will improve and how easy and much more we will understand the universe owing to the diplomatic ties developed with many alien species under one banner TTA... we are all products of this universe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2015
bqlekan:
Lalasticlala abeg bro, help push this thread sir
we are waiting tongue
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bi0nics: 11:47am On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:

Lmao. . my best guess is that we might establish interplanetary and galactic diplomatic ties with these advanced life forms .

Watch this cartoon called "Miles from tomorrow" it is a futuristic cartoon of how man's space science and technology will improve and how easy and much more we will understand the universe owing to the diplomatic ties developed with many alien species under one banner TTA... we are all products of this universe

Seriously?
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2015
bi0nics:

Seriously?
It's a guess..
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bi0nics: 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:
It's a guess..

I guess you spend Half of your day sleepinq...

Ya kn0w whara mean shebi?

Its A Guess grin
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:
It's a guess..

What if the aliens are no more advanced than we? What if they live 70,000 light years from us and only became 'intelligent' 60,000 years ago? Whatever emissions they release won't be detected for another 10,000 years.

I don't automatically assume that if there are aliens, that they must be able to zip around the galaxy at warp-9. They could be just a bunch of cavemen shitting in a hole

speed of light is an issue. what we see when we look up at the night's sky is actually an image from millions of years ago. if someone were looking at us from one of those solar systems they would see our solar system as it was millions of years ago too. well before the invention of the internet
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 4:05pm On Oct 05, 2015
tobimillar:

What if the aliens are no more advanced than we? What if they live 70,000 light years from us and only became 'intelligent' 60,000 years ago? Whatever emissions they release won't be detected for another 10,000 years.

I don't automatically assume that if there are aliens, that they must be able to zip around the galaxy at warp-9. They could be just a bunch of cavemen shitting in a hole

speed of light is an issue. what we see when we look up at the night's sky is actually an image from millions of years ago. if someone were looking at us from one of those solar systems they would see our solar system as it was millions of years ago too. well before the invention of the internet

This is true, so these interstellar travels can only be possible if the speed of light can be achieved for man.

Like blackjewelry said, using nuclear power. . . Or maybe we could come up a teleporting device like found in Avengers 1 (sci-fi) that opens a pathway for distant galaxies in a matter of seconds.

like a mini wormhole.

Even though these seem far fetched to us now, the future holds a lot of promises am sure...
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:

This is true, so these interstellar travels can only be possible if the speed of light can be achieved for man.

Like blackjewelry said, using nuclear power. . . Or maybe we could come up a teleporting device like found in Avengers 1 (sci-fi) that opens a pathway for distant galaxies in a matter of seconds.

like a mini wormhole.

Even though these seem far fetched to us now, the future holds a lot of promises am sure...

We can't achieve anything with the speed of light except of course teleporting is developed which I doubt. Even with the speed of light,it will take million or billions of year to reach the nearest galaxy

So there is a statistically zero possibility of alien life
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
tobimillar:

We can't achieve anything with the speed of light except of course teleporting is developed which I doubt. Even with the speed of light,it will take million or billions of year to reach the nearest galaxy

Disagree with the bolded, Alien life is quite possible even in this our own solar system.

But these life forms may just be microbile life forms. . . Place my bet on Mars and Ganymede...
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:

What happens before the sitting at the round table? I just hope it is not messy!

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 6:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
theAtheist101:

What happens before the sitting at the round table? I just hope it is not messy!
It depends on what circumstances that surrounds our meeting . . . If their space probe slammed into ours, both parties might mistake each other to be hostile...

1 Like

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by hahn(m): 6:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:

Why is everyone of the opinion that aliens, if they exist, will be more advanced than us? What if aliens just happen to be more primitive than us?

Let's take Mars for instance, it can be possible that whatever life that exists there do not have the intelligence to harness their resources like we have and might even find the first landing of earthlings as a visitation of the gods grin

2 Likes

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by johnydon22(m): 6:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
hahn:

Why is everyone of the opinion that aliens, if they exist, will be more advanced than us? What if aliens just happen to be more primitive than us?

Let's take Mars for instance, it can be possible that whatever life that exists there do not have the intelligence to harness their resources like we have and might even find the first landing of earthlings as a visitation of the gods grin

No i don't think they are more advanced. i think the possibilities span both ways. . .we are not dealing with just one..

within the whole universe they might be ones that are highly civilized, primitive ones and microbile life ...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by hahn(m): 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
johnydon22:

No i don't think they are more advanced. i think the possibilities span both ways. . .we are not dealing with just one..

within the whole universe they might be ones that are highly civilized, primitive ones and microbile life ...

True that
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Dekatron(m): 8:32pm On Oct 05, 2015
Teempakguy, menesheh, johnydon22, bqlekan, theAtheist101, and my fellow members of the Nairaland science community. I am sorry for returning late. Believe me, I have alot of both silly and good reasons from low data to laziness. Okay. Done!!

You see, since I knew about how big the universe is. . . Was I 14 or 15? #Osei yaw Ababio - New School Chemistry. I read abt planets there at the end of the book (read VIRTUALLY PALI TO PALI. LOL), I believed that ALIENS MUST DEFINATELY EXIST. I mean, apart from the goldilock zone, THE PROBABILITY/REALITY OF US EXISTING CAN BE EQUALIZED TO THEM ALSO!! I mean, if we could exist, why not GREEN MEN - thanks to Hollywood for that shiit.

Now that water flows on Our SISTER MARS, I think there is MORE probability that life exists, albeit MICROBIOLOGICAL. We started from that (don't give me the red eye, I am an atheist. Thank you), if we are past that, others can also start from that!! Who knows if that is the way life can start in our SOLAR SYSTEM? Atleast the only available option is that :- SKY DADDY DID IT which is actually scientifically A PARADOX (na u sabi wetin paradox is oo). . . . . My thing is :- YES, THEY DEFINATELY EXIST, BUT LIKE MANY POINTED OUT, THEY ARE EITHER IN LESS TECHNOLOGICALLY INCLINED ERA THAN US OR THAT THEY SEE US AS BRATS DUE TO STRIFES AND VICES HERE (Over to social scientists. Good luck solving that). Its either of the two. Yes, I BELIEVE IN ALIENS and MAYBE OUR EINSTEIN, FEYNMAN (yea, My MENTOR) , PLANC, DIRAC, DESCARTES, FERMAT (oops, hope you ain't pissed, teempakguy!!), NEWTON, LEIBNIZ and others are actually HIGH SCHOOL KIDS LOL. I'd say :- we are in deep shiit grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@johnydon22 & teem, its actually poseidon. I like that name and I will name my smart RC boat any year I start building - Project Poseidon!!
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Nmeri17: 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Wow .... Thanks smiley

Hmmm

You see , like I always said , the purpose of the creation of the universe is to be inhabited by intelligent moral agents to whom God will reveal Himself to . If this purpose has been completely understood then it answers your question : "Do they have their own Jesus and run the race to meet their Redeemer " . The same God in those planets not really "their own Jesus " or "their Redeemer"
orai. so during eternity it's likely we'll dwell in the Heavenlies with these aliens abi?? or will they have their own heaven separate??

The earth is not 6, 000 years and the 6 days creation is not metaphorical . The 6 days of creation has to do with the restoration of the earth .

You can read here for more understanding ( A thread I created ): https://www.nairaland.com/2305535/dealing-misconceptions-10-things-bible
I've been there before and I think you'd rather not want to hear what I think about your "conceptions". If I may ask, who was it that granted you the lordly rights to draw up non scriptural based conceptions to challenge the authenticity and infallible accuracy of the Word Itself??

If I logged into my nl account and found someone had hacked into it in order to create a thread making such hideous claims, I'd deactivate both the nl account and the email address it is attached to before incinerating the hacked device and reducing it to ashes.
Because Ebuka, you see, misleading oneself is one thing; but when you start making conscious efforts to beguile others into your (mis)direction, things can get quite complicated from there.

I dont really understand what you mean by man is the center of the universe . If you mean that the human being is the most important of all of God's creations then yes because we were created in His image and likeness .

"Let us create man in our image and likeness " - this could mean that we have created other intelligent moral agents in other planets , lets create one that looks like us .
by man being the center of the universe, I mean the universe revolving around mankind. They exist because we are. Rains fell because Adam had to till the hard ground. And so it is with everything else "YOU" know.

But this here, is something we would never agree upon. When you start mixing faith with what you call "EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE", you'll keep knocking on walls thinking they're doors
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:24am On Oct 06, 2015
Nmeri17:

orai. so during eternity it's likely we'll dwell in the Heavenlies with these aliens abi?? or will they have their own heaven separate??

I strongly believe God created aliens does not mean He actually did and if He did there are various possibilities about their lives

I've been there before and I think you'd rather not want to hear what I think about your "conceptions". If I may ask, who was it that granted you the lordly rights to draw up non scriptural based conceptions to challenge the authenticity and infallible accuracy of the Word Itself??

That's why they are called misconceptions - you actually thought it was this or that but its not

If I logged into my nl account and found someone had hacked into it in order to create a thread making such hideous claims, I'd deactivate both the nl account and the email address it is attached to before incinerating the hacked device and reducing it to ashes.
Because Ebuka, you see, misleading oneself is one thing; but when you start making conscious efforts to beguile others into your (mis)direction, things can get quite complicated from there.

My first response addresses this

by man being the center of the universe, I mean the universe revolving around mankind. They exist because we are. Rains fell because Adam had to till the hard ground. And so it is with everything else "YOU" know.

I don't get you , elucidate .

But this here, is something we would never agree upon. When you start mixing faith with what you call "EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE", you'll keep knocking on walls thinking they're doors

Where exactly did I mention faith
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by bqlekan(m): 11:09am On Oct 06, 2015
Dekatron:
Teempakguy, menesheh, johnydon22, bqlekan, theAtheist101, and my fellow members of the Nairaland science community. I am sorry for returning late. Believe me, I have alot of both silly and good reasons from low data to laziness. Okay. Done!!

You see, since I knew about how big the universe is. . . Was I 14 or 15? #Osei yaw Ababio - New School Chemistry. I read abt planets there at the end of the book (read VIRTUALLY PALI TO PALI. LOL), I believed that ALIENS MUST DEFINATELY EXIST. I mean, apart from the goldilock zone, THE PROBABILITY/REALITY OF US EXISTING CAN BE EQUALIZED TO THEM ALSO!! I mean, if we could exist, why not GREEN MEN - thanks to Hollywood for that shiit.

Now that water flows on Our SISTER MARS, I think there is MORE probability that life exists, albeit MICROBIOLOGICAL. We started from that (don't give me the red eye, I am an atheist. Thank you), if we are past that, others can also start from that!! Who knows if that is the way life can start in our SOLAR SYSTEM? Atleast the only available option is that :- SKY DADDY DID IT which is actually scientifically A PARADOX (na u sabi wetin paradox is oo). . . . . My thing is :- YES, THEY DEFINATELY EXIST, BUT LIKE MANY POINTED OUT, THEY ARE EITHER IN LESS TECHNOLOGICALLY INCLINED ERA THAN US OR THAT THEY SEE US AS BRATS DUE TO STRIFES AND VICES HERE (Over to social scientists. Good luck solving that). Its either of the two. Yes, I BELIEVE IN ALIENS and MAYBE OUR EINSTEIN, FEYNMAN (yea, My MENTOR) , PLANC, DIRAC, DESCARTES, FERMAT (oops, hope you ain't pissed, teempakguy!!), NEWTON, LEIBNIZ and others are actually HIGH SCHOOL KIDS LOL. I'd say :- we are in deep shiit grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@johnydon22 & teem, its actually poseidon. I like that name and I will name my smart RC boat any year I start building - Project Poseidon!!
Welcome back man..
LMAO at the atheist part.. and you are right, I believe aliens does exist too.. its either they are more civilized or under civilized.. lets hope Mars gives us something different

@johnydon22 lalasticlala no wan move this thread o.. and this thread will gather traffic for oga seun
Re: Possibility Of Alien Life (discussion Thread) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:10am On Oct 06, 2015
tobimillar:

If you are talking about intelligent life forms, you don't need to travel outside our galaxy. Within our galaxy we billions of system with billions in not trillions of planets with unique features and many have the potential for life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Check Bank Verification Number - BVN Via Phone / Solar Energy - All You Need To Know / AMAZING TECHNOLOGY: A Laundry, Ironing And Folding Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.