Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline (1375 Views)

FG Gets 14-day Ultimatum To Lift Ban On Rice Importation / OPC Alerts Security On Planned Pro-Biafra Protest In Yoruba Land / FG gets report on planned national airline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by edababa007(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2015
The Federal Government on Friday received the report on the establishment of a national carrier from the 13-member committee it set up in August to produce the document.

According to the government, the report contains recommendations that will guide it as it works towards establishing a national airline for the country.

It added that it was put together after the committee consulted with local and international partners.

The report was received by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Aviation, Mrs. Binta Bello, at the headquarters of the ministry in Abuja.

Details to comeā€¦

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-gets-report-on-planned-national-airline/
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Bevista: 5:52pm On Oct 02, 2015
The Ethiopian Airlines generated more revenue in 2014/2015 than all the other African airlines put together.

In Nigeria, we always blame government inefficiency when national assets are mismanaged, when the actual blame should be on corruption.

Many countries have figured out a model to manage their National Airlines. Similarly, while the NNPC is a total disgrace here in Nigeria, its contemporaries like Saudi Aramco, Petronas, Petrobras, etc have been hugely successful in their various countries, with some of them listed as global Fortune 500 companies.

2 Likes

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by overhypedsteve(m): 5:53pm On Oct 02, 2015
Good news
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by nely(m): 5:53pm On Oct 02, 2015
wow, that's a good idea, at least Nigeria ought to have one, you will hear about, fly Emirate, British airways, Kenya and the others but our own virgin Atlantic, Dana, jus imagine why them no go deny our visa....sai Change ( but anti APC and PDP but good governance).
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by kettykin: 5:55pm On Oct 02, 2015
They should make it 4 national carriers as one is not enough.
1 national carrier for West.
2 for the north
3 for the east
4 for the niger delta

Anything short of this is return to mediocrity and corruption by the parasitic savages
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by sammyj: 5:56pm On Oct 02, 2015
cool
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by DelGardo: 6:09pm On Oct 02, 2015
Good news. That has to be the fastest turn around of any presidential committee in our not-too-recent history.

And to think that it was achieved without a minister for aviation tells another story; of the performance drive of this administration and its appetite to visit the main issues real quick.

The change is real.

1 Like

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
Should be an interesting read even though a national carrier is the least of our worries, i remember Buhari saying that the rail system is better priority. I hope he keeps his words except the airline is a private sector project
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by RockMaxi: 6:24pm On Oct 02, 2015
class NationalCarrier{
public $disaster;
public $delay;
private $fraud;
}

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Alphaoscar: 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
Baba slow and steady!
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 02, 2015
Just order new jets to be delivered next year December
Sai Buhari
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 02, 2015
I can't help but love our President, and have the confidence that he will do what's best for our country. for once in this country we can all sleep with both eyes closed without having to worry about the man at the helms of affairs like we did with jona.

2 Likes

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by 989900: 6:33pm On Oct 02, 2015
Nice idea.
Let's the plan first though.
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by politricks: 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2015
This is one of GEJ's achievement.

*Pppaaaiii*

Who slapped me??

2 Likes

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by modath(f): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2015
God I beg you, let this idea kaput.

We do not need a national carrier.

We need responsible biz people to invest heavily while the govt ensures there is favourable policies in place to assist them...

Baba should stop looking at Kenya airways, SA airways,ethiopian airlines, Adverts, they will only make him nostalgic for what he shouldn't have....

We do not need a govt funded Nigerian Airways, leave it to the private people...

I still love you Bubu but this one I no gree!!
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by DelGardo: 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2015
modath:

God I beg you, let this idea kaput.

We do not need a national carrier.

We need responsible biz people to invest heavily while the govt ensures there is favourable policies in place to assist them...

Baba should stop looking at Kenya airways, SA airways,ethiopian airlines, Adverts, they will only make him nostalgic for what he shouldn't have....

We do not need a govt funded Nigerian Airways, leave it to the private people...

I still love you Bubu but this one I no gree!!

Maybe you should wait for the proposed structure before the condemnation. It is most likely to be a private company with a portion of its shares owned by the federal government.

Don't forget that we have some aircraft in the presidential fleet, which the government can use as its own equity contribution if it decides not to splash cash at the outset.
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by modath(f): 7:31pm On Oct 02, 2015
DelGardo:

Maybe you should wait for the proposed structure before the condemnation. It is most likely to be a private company with a portion of its shares owned by the federal government.

Don't forget that we have some aircraft in the presidential fleet, which the government can use as its own equity contribution if it decides not to splash cash at the outset.

So the planes in the presidential air fleet is your idea of equity towards a "world class international airline"?

Do you have an idea of the difference between the features of a "private jet" & a "passenger airline" ??

No put hand for my mouth, just park well...
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by DelGardo: 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2015
modath:

So the planes in the presidential air fleet is your idea of equity towards a "world class international airline"?

Do you have an idea of the difference between the features of a "private jet" & a "passenger airline" ??

No put hand for my mouth, just park well...

There is really no need to be so abrasive.

National carrier must not start with international flights. Every plane can be fitted out to become a private jet and vice versa.. Prince Alwaleed uses an Airbus A380 (a top-of-the-line jumbo jet) as his private plane...

You can configure the existing aircraft for any number of uses or sell them off and get something different.
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by modath(f): 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
DelGardo:

There is really no need to be so abrasive.

National carrier must not start with international flights. Every plane can be fitted out to become a private jet and vice versa.. Prince Alwaleed uses an Airbus A380 (a top-of-the-line jumbo jet) as his private plane...

You can configure the existing aircraft for any number of uses or sell them off and get something different.

Accept my apologies, Didn't mean to snap, but you are being idealistic...

We do not need govt to be involved in biz, let able biz people invest, when Baba leaves, it will be run aground, as usual... we are not responsible people when it comes to managing what we don't have personal stake in..

I know Christians who are pilfering schoowl intervention funds without any feeling of remorse....

Stop comparing things that have nothing in common..

Middle easterners are balling hard on just a 10th of our population with both oil & tourist revenue...

As for the a380 reference, flew it in 2011, LHR-DXB, mind still remains blown till today... smiley
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by omonnakoda: 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
Bevista:
The Ethiopian Airlines generated more revenue in 2014/2015 than all the other African airlines put together.

In Nigeria, we always blame government inefficiency when national assets are mismanaged, when the actual blame should be on corruption.

Many countries have figured out a model to manage their National Airlines. Similarly, while the NNPC is a total disgrace here in Nigeria, its contemporaries like Saudi Aramco, Petronas, Petrobras, etc have been hugely successful in their various countries, with some of them listed as global Fortune 500 companies.
Yes the Ethiopian airlines is great but it has taken a long time to get there. The question is why does it have to be government owned. Why can't we have an airline "Dangote"? The market volume is there but we need serious businessmen To be honest there is room for more than one airline in Nigeria Dangote cannot do everything

1 Like

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Bevista: 8:48pm On Oct 02, 2015
omonnakoda:
Yes the Ethiopian airlines is great but it has taken a long time to get there. The question is why does it have to be government owned. Why can't we have an airline Dangote? The market volume is there but we need serious businessmen To be honest there is room for more than one airline in Nigeria
That is why I said in my last comment that "countries have figured out a model to manage their National Airlines"

It could be wholly government owned, it could be Public Private Partnership, it could be government owned but managed by private business, etc.

We have tried most of these models without success - Nigerian Airways, Air Nigeria, Virgin Nigeria, etc. The problem may not necessarily be in the models but rather in the corruption entrenched in them.

1 Like

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by omonnakoda: 8:52pm On Oct 02, 2015
Bevista:
That is why I said in my last comment that "countries have figured out a model to manage their National Airlines" It could be wholly government owned, it Public Private Partnership, it could be government owned but managed by private business, etc.

We have tried most of these models without success - Nigerian Airways, Air Nigeria, Virgin Nigeria, etc. The problem may not necessarily be in the models but rather in the corruption entrenched in them.
Corruption is not necessarily the same thing as incompetence though they are often present together. Why is Arik struggling? Sometimes the issue just boils down to culture. I have not come across any Nigerian business with a great culture. Nigerians need to learn how to deliver world class service which will be a great challenge considering that we have a very aggressive culture
The main challenge with government ownership is tribalism and how this influences jobs ,federal character etc
To work successfully e should be willing to employ Kenyans or Indians if they are the best people to get the job done
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by DelGardo: 9:00pm On Oct 02, 2015
modath:

Accept my apologies, Didn't mean to snap, but you are being idealistic...

We do not need govt to be involved in biz, let able biz people invest, when Baba leaves, it will be run aground, as usual... we are not responsible people when it comes to managing what we don't have personal stake in..

I know Christians who are pilfering schoowl intervention funds without any feeling of remorse....

Stop comparing things that have nothing in common..

Middle easterners are balling hard on just a 10th of our population with both oil & tourist revenue...

As for the A380 reference, I've flew it in 2011, LHR-DXB, mind still remains blown till today... smiley

Cool
Not comparing us with the ME guys though. Just saying that most aircraft can be reconfigured and I reckon that those Embraer's and 737s in the PEF can be used for regional flights at start up, with say 85% of the shares owned by private individuals who will provide the funds.
I see your point though as we are still grappling with basic stuff with everybody looking for "choppings".
My brother A380 is a marvel...
Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by Bevista: 9:02pm On Oct 02, 2015
omonnakoda:
Corruption is not necessarily the same thing as incompetence though they are often present together. Why is Arik struggling? Sometimes the issue just boils down to culture. I have not come across any Nigerian business with a great culture. Nigerians need to learn how to deliver world class service which will be a great challenge considering that we have a very aggressive culture
The main challenge with government ownership is tribalism and how this influences jobs ,federal character etc
@ the bolded. Valid point, but I don't think Nigerians are that incompetent. We have a corrupt culture/system that makes even the most competent fellow looks mediocre. Nigerians perform exceptionally well outside the country but when brought back home, their performance is less than stellar.

Arik might be struggling, but then the likes of Dangote, GTBank, Glo, etc are doing well and even going international.

I am not advocating for government 100% ownership. Who even knows what is in the report? Maybe we should give them the benefit of doubt and not preempt them until the report is made public. A good model might be recommended.

1 Like

Re: FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline by omonnakoda: 9:13pm On Oct 02, 2015
Bevista:
@ the bolded. Valid point, but I don't think Nigerians are that incompetent. We have a corrupt culture/system that makes even the most competent fellow looks mediocre. Nigerians perform exceptionally well outside the country but when brought back home, their performance is less than stellar.

Arik might be struggling, but then the likes of Dangote, GTBank, Glo, etc are doing well and even going international.

I am not advocating for government 100% ownership. Who even knows what is in the report? Maybe we should give them the benefit of doubt and not preempt them until the report is made public. A good model might be recommended.
Competence is that which is manifested. It is not an individual but a collective and institutional thing. Nigeria is institutionally incompetent. We set very low standards and accept incompetence always.That can change but there are countless examples. A good one is the immigration exam last year. People died and no one resigned no one was sacked or punished in any way
I do not agree that it is just corruption. There are issues of nepotism which are different and federal character issues

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Should Be Careful Of Contaminated Suya & Kilisi From The North. / Suggest A Portfolio For Rotimi Amaechi / Gobe!! As Super Eagles Coach Oliseh, Enyeama Clash In Eagles Camp (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.